The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
@SVX, firstly, you wont be able to watch that many anime without either going mad or losing all trace of a social life or whatever.

Secondly, you should remove Kokoro Connect, K-On, exorcise the bit of paper that had K-On written on it, remove A Certain Moe What Is This Tavern, remove A Certain Why Is This A Thing, remove Kami-sama no Memo-cho (whatever that is), remove Bokuwa Tomadachi Whatever, only watch series two of Full Metal Panic!? (it's subtitled Fumoffu), change Alucard to say Hellsing because that's what it's actually called (and are you talking about watching the original Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate? I'm not a Hellsing expert so you may want to look into that), remove Gosick, remove Toradora, remove Haruhi Suzumiya, and remove Welcome to the NHK until you've managed to get through everything else remaining on that list and know how it feels.

Then you should be left with a decent anime watch list.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to ignore that advice. :P I was suggested these by a mate of mine who had taken the time to watch them and thought they'd be something I'd enjoy, and personally I think it'd be rude to him. Same goes to everyone else that's recommended me anime - they've all taken the time to suggest it to me so the least I can do is check it out.

Also, might I also mention, @TheCorvette, who is that in your avatar? Looks strikingly familiar to Kazuki from Grisaia...?

Quality over quantity. You'll get tired of watching so much if you let too much rubbish in. That's not to say some rubbish isn't fine or even entertaining; but prioritise the quality stuff, if anything just to avoid turning into a weaboo.

Yeah true, though I think I'll enjoy them. All of his other recommendations I've loved so I'm sure this'll be no different.

Did you really just compare Ghibli stuff with that crap? Come on dude. There is no way in hell a logical analogy 'tween the two things can be done. Almost not even of the people that watch them.

I predicted this sort of retort.

A newbie (not you) can't tell what's good if he/she had to take a guess based on popular choice- whatever has its image spread around on the internet (amount of fanart, avatars, sigbars, favourite waifu/anime threads, youtube videos).

It's common sense to think that way, but you should know in anime land that's not a very good criteria of assessment anymore. I'd place Wolf Children much higher than most Ghibli films, and the former is nowhere as popular.

SVX
Oh, I wasn't really recommended it due to quality - I just kind of fancy Akiyama Mio so it was suggested I watch the anime, much the same with Chuunibyou.

That's usually how these characters work their charm to get you watching. Your avatar was the last straw that got me to look in Chuunibyou's direction.

Last edited:
I think it's worth the time, like watching Evangelion. Just seeing what they're all about.

K-ON is memorable for its cute appeal and comedy, but it was only after I watched it how I realized that was probably the only reason why the fans like it in the first place. Being a music club, with 48 episodes and a movie, I was expecting more music playing than what we received.

The songs they played aren't top notch either, so I'm guessing diehard fans like it just because its their favourite characters singing.

The only time Ghibli really manages to be less than impressive is when it's not Hayao Miyazaki himself directing... and even some of those are very good.

There are movies that don't possess the same dramatic sweep and tight narrative quality as his masterpieces, but they're still compelling, in their way, and worth a watch.

Also... Howl? I liked it. Not the most linear or direct of movies, and the story does wander and ramble, but it feels like the sort of fantasy candy land a writer like Niven or Simak would create... with lots of untidy, loose ends, surprises and quirks. I like that.

-

From On Poppy Hill... I still can't decide if it's terrible or just... different. The story does seem to have pace problems, though... there's no getting around that. If you're the impatient type or looking for high fantasy or action, or maybe even some melodrama... there's none here. It actually feels like a story that could be better told as a live-action TV movie.

-

Pom Poko is worth a watch for its whimsy. It's a bit slow, but being told in documentary style, that's expected.

-

Why is nobody talking about Nausicaa? Easily one of my favorite animes of all time. If only because it and Akira were the two most fantastic anime movies I watched during the 80's, after being brought up on a diet of straight pulp robot action from the 70's.

Both films, in fact, unlike other efforts from the time, can still be watched today, and compare favorably to modern animated films due to their fluidity of animation and outstanding art. Though that is true of any Ghibli work from the 80's. When I'm watching Totoro with the kids, I sometimes have to kick myself and remind myself it came out waaay back in 1988. (I first saw it in 1989 in the original Japanese... obviously couldn't understand it, but I was blown away by the expressive animation).

-

Ghibli is often compared to Disney, but I can't help but also think of it as LucasFilms... doing with practical effects (i.e.: hand drawn animation) what many other studios flub with CGI. Probably one of the highlights of this is Porco Rosso, in which every aerial dogfight is lovingly, painstakingly hand-drawn instead of computer-rendered.

What I really want to know with Ghibli is how Disney managed to get Princess Mononoke (the film with all the decapitations and pigs bleeding everywhere), and Pom Poko (the film about Tanuki scrotums) past the BBFC with just parental guidance ratings.

In Pom Poko's case I'd agree with the rating. Testicles are just things that exist and for whatever reason Tanuki balls are a part of Japanese folklore, but nonetheless it still surprises me that the legal body that decided that Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time were unsuitable for under 12s for no discernable reason would let such a huge amount of graphic genital humour through.

With Princess Mononoke, I'm less inclined to agree. I think there are a lot of 8 year olds who would be altogether upset by the amount of blood and gore and violence in that film, and... It surprises me.

Whatever, just don't watch K-On.
I second this.

On the subject of odd parental guidance ratings on Ghibli films...
If it's going to make money and appeal to a younger audience then the MPAA (at least here in America) will pass it through. I guess the MPAA is influenced by politics like the rest of us. Look at most superhero movies. Sure, they're superheroes, but they curse and have blood and rather dark themes flying around sometimes (especially the recent Batman trilogy). Yet they still manage to make it only PG-13. :P

I really want to watch a Studio Ghibli film... But I constantly forget about it! Someone here is dumb as a rock! XD :dunce:

I predicted this sort of retort.

A newbie (not you) can't tell what's good if he/she had to take a guess based on popular choice- whatever has its image spread around on the internet (amount of fanart, avatars, sigbars, favourite waifu/anime threads, youtube videos).

It's common sense to think that way, but you should know in anime land that's not a very good criteria of assessment anymore. I'd place Wolf Children much higher than most Ghibli films, and the former is nowhere as popular.

Valid point, but then again, you left out that "earned it" bit. Ok so lets say @SVX comes into animedom via a friend and the first thing that's brought to his attention is K-on. He starts to watch it and then one of two happens.

a) He goes full-weaboo mode and loves it and becomes a moe-loving bag of trash for the rest of his life.

b) He watches two episodes and goes "lol wth is this", laughs at his friend and doesn't touch anime ever again because it's a bunch of horsecrap.

Now let's say he gets turned in to anime by another friend who tells him to watch Spirited Away (basing this on your "if it's popular, it's easier to come by it and watch it" theory, since Chihiro is the most pupular Ghibli film) and he watches it and goes "boy this is good". Even if he got recommended the worse Ghibli film he'll at least find it decent, and may start looking around for more of this stuff and then he finds Howl's and Arriety and Nausicaa and enters animedom from the right place.

What I'm saying: certain forms of anime are not for everyone, but Ghibli is, even for non-aime people it's pretty damn good. That's why they've earned it and that's why stuff like K-on will drive most people away and appeal to a limited number of people. Ghibli has earned the acclaim because good, K-on has earned the acclaim because weebs.

Have you guys considered the fact that this discussion might be dissuading him?

I'm a bit more stubborn than that. :P

I don't think I'll hate it as I enjoy cute animes, but I don't think I'll go into a huge obsession with it due to have already watched Chuunibyou, which means my standard for a cute and funny anime is set somewhat high.

And anyway, you guys have been calling it trash, I want to find out why it's trash.

Better start now. :P

I have no idea what most of those shows are, but the ones I do recognize, I can say you won't be disappointed.

I really want to start another now but I don't want to watch more than one anime at a time, I want to wait until I've gotten and finished the Grisaia VN before I move on.

Last edited:
No. Lucky Star is incredibly dull and just relies on shoehorned in references to other anime in order to appeal to a very limited crowd of otaku. The opening and closing sequences are awesome, but otherwise, just no.

Azumanga Daioh:

Nichijou:

Yes, I was turned off by Lucky Star in the first ten minutes. Not so hot.

Does anyone know if Gatchaman Crowds is actually decent? I really like the art style but haven't got around to watching it.

Cano
and that's why stuff like K-on will drive most people away
:lol :Sorry to break it to you, but I don't see anything you explained relating to K-ON for this statement to have any ground.

All your scenarios are fine as is (minus all the hypothetical outcomes you later turned into assumptions), but I'm not talking about post-viewing of any material. I'm talking about how influenced you should be toward popular opinions on material you've personally never viewed before you ever go watch it.

Valid point, but then again, you left out that "earned it" bit.

I chose not to address it because decreeing what has and hasn't earned its rep is not objectively obtained, and generally you can't have arrived at such a bold conclusion if you're new to anime. I'm sensing you've misunderstood the perspective where I'm speaking of. As such, I've noticed the rest of your post is based off this misunderstanding.

Here's a situation that should illustrate my point.

There's a new dude in modern land who came from some island that's cut off connections to the rest of the world. He's never watched any anime before. He's only lurked popular sites like AnimeNewsNetwork, MAL, and whatever forums for general browsing and looking up rankings because he wants to look into some shows to watch. During his internet sessions, he would be immersing himself in tons and tons of titles, and he's notices there are recurring titles showing up more frequently than others.

One day, he finds himself at the cinema. There are two film posters up on display:

K-ON and Nausicaa.

Things I need to put emphasis on. He has no prior experience with anime. That being said:
-This dude has no idea what K-ON is.
-He does not know who Kyoto Animation is.
-What Nausicaa is, nor Miyazaki for that matter.

To him, it is really just a case of "Film A: highly spoken of by a high number of fans" and "Film B: highly spoken of by a high number of fans".

How would he decide at this point in time which is the better one of the two? He can't. Based on the provided premise, he doesn't know enough to make an accurate call. He recalls comments like "great stuff", "hilarious at times!", "masterpiece". Nice to know, but those are some very subjective terms to be wary about. These barely helpful words are all he has to make a decision on which film to watch.

-

To wind it back to what I was saying yesterday, keeping in mind of what you hear solely by word of mouth, I wouldn't hop on board with dominant opinions if I have not seen that particular show. I hear people say Hunter x Hunter is really good. For me to already form an opinion of it is not such a good idea. It alters my perception of HxH before I even watch it.

Want examples can you relate to? I've heard the name Trigun go round for years, but I've still never watched it. I have no idea what it's like. It's an action show and I know it's got a lot of merchandise... "I guess it has something on it...." What about you? I know you entered Trigun with some expectations of your own only to come out miserable afterwards. :P

Oh oh oh. And what about Madoka? :mischievous: Your prejudgment on the face of Madoka being so strongly against moe stuff would've prevented you from watching it.

Last edited:
SVX
Also, might I also mention, @TheCorvette, who is that in your avatar? Looks strikingly familiar to Kazuki from Grisaia...?
That would be Julie from Absolute Duo.
Yes, I was turned off by Lucky Star in the first ten minutes. Not so hot.

Does anyone know if Gatchaman Crowds is actually decent? I really like the art style but haven't got around to watching it.
Most found it good, I did not, it's a mess.

Most found it good, I did not, it's a mess.

To hammer in the point one last time, I'm pretty sure most of us watched Lucky Star because we hear the name everywhere and got the idea there was something worth watching....

Don't trust popular opinion in the anime world so easily.

I remember years ago, a group of us convinced the others in this thread to watch Clannad and Steins;Gate, and half of them were left disappointed.

That would be Julie from Absolute Duo.

Ah, I see, thank you for that.

Kazuki.jpg

That's Kazuki from Grisaia, pretty easy to get the two mixed really.

Argh, ruined Grisaia a bit for myself as well looking for it. :grumpy:

Yup there are a ton of characters with nearly identical feats. Long silver/white hair? Look here. The list is endless!

But yeah, I highly encourage you avoid image searching Grisaia. I've been spoiling content from later VNs in doing this. @nk4e somehow had enough balls to do it anyway. :lol:

Yeah, don't go image searching (esp. with Grisaia). I've been trying to keep myself on a leash to not do that.

I was kind of expecting the outcome really anyway. Still annoying, I'll just have to keep my mind off it and try to forget about it.

Yup there are a ton of characters with nearly identical feats. Long silver/white hair? Look here. The list is endless!

But yeah, I highly encourage you avoid image searching Grisaia. I've been spoiling content from later VNs in doing this. @nk4e somehow had enough balls to do it anyway. :lol:

Wow, that site you linked I never knew existed. Nice.

To wind it back to what I was saying yesterday, keeping in mind of what you hear solely by word of mouth, I wouldn't hop on board with dominant opinions if I have not seen that particular show. I hear people say Hunter x Hunter is really good. For me to already form an opinion of it is not such a good idea. It alters my perception of HxH before I even watch it.

Want examples can you relate to? I've heard the name Trigun go round for years, but I've still never watched it. I have no idea what it's like. It's an action show and I know it's got a lot of merchandise... "I guess it has something on it...." What about you? I know you entered Trigun with some expectations of your own only to come out miserable afterwards. :P

Oh oh oh. And what about Madoka? :mischievous: Your prejudgment on the face of Madoka being so strongly against moe stuff would've prevented you from watching it.

I actually thought HxH would just be the usual shounen. It still is, but it's very fleshed out and pretty engaging to watch.

Last edited:
Back