The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
To hammer in the point one last time, I'm pretty sure most of us watched Lucky Star because we hear the name everywhere and got the idea there was something worth watching....

Don't trust popular opinion in the anime world so easily.

I remember years ago, a group of us convinced the others in this thread to watch Clannad and Steins;Gate, and half of them were left disappointed.
Except I watched Gatchaman Crowds as it aired. My reaction was negative from after I started it (Before I saw people were starting to discuss the show), everyone else was loving it.

I don't trust popular opinion in the community much on many things these days (Anime, movies, video games) because I've been let down too many times when I raise my expectations too high. Many times it was me hyping up an upcoming sequel (Ex: Shana III, E7 AO) to a show I loved, or it came from someone who once did greats (Ex: Shinichiro Watanabe. I was let down by Space*Dandy, though I did not hype up Terror in Crapness.).

I'm not one to hype stuff up much anymore (I still do, but not often. Latest examples so far were just F/sn:UBW (After I had seen the movie, the original F/sn, and ufotable's otherTYPE-MOON adaptations), Durarara!!x2 Shou, and Kuroko's Basketball season 3). I didn't even hype up Parasyte which everyone started to get hype for after it was announced the manga was getting an anime adaptation after like two decades. (However after a while I fell in love with the show and it's one of my top shows of last year by far.)

I haven't followed a lot of hype either. Hype can be misleading, especially when it comes to really popular shows like Sword Art Online (which is relatively shallow for those of you who don't know) and Akame Ga Kill (which I hear was made to appeal to teenaboos).

No. Lucky Star is incredibly dull and just relies on shoehorned in references to other anime in order to appeal to a very limited crowd of otaku. The opening and closing sequences are awesome, but otherwise, just no.

Azumanga Daioh:

Nichijou:

Your opinion. I like it not because of all of the references, but I like it for... you know what, I'm just wasting my time trying to explain it, so screw that. But I do agree on Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou.

Never do this, @SVX

He can do whatever he wants, dammit.

Yes, I was turned off by Lucky Star in the first ten minutes. Not so hot.

Like I said to Roger, it's your opinion.

To hammer in the point one last time, I'm pretty sure most of us watched Lucky Star because we hear the name everywhere and got the idea there was something worth watching....

Don't trust popular opinion in the anime world so easily.

I remember years ago, a group of us convinced the others in this thread to watch Clannad and Steins;Gate, and half of them were left disappointed.

I only got into Lucky Star because I watched a bit of it at my local anime con and enjoyed it. I looked into it a little more, and I decided to get it. I couldn't care less what you yahoos think of it, really.

Also, I'm thinking about getting Steins;Gate. I saw a bit of it, and I'm very interested.

ball of stuff

Yes, I got what you were saying about him not having any way to know if it's any good or not without previous experience, that's kinda logic, you know. At that point, I was merely defending Ghibli against other stuff instead of focusing on @SVX, altough I did use him as an example simply because his case fit in like it was meant to be lol. Seems we were both talking about different things with a converging point in between.

Also, remember, tomorrow day is avatar day.

He can do whatever he wants, dammit.

Oh yeah he absolutely can. @SVX, never do it.

Wow, that site you linked I never knew existed. Nice.

I never have either. I literally went and googled "anime character database" upon creating that reply.

I knew about a video game character database, and seeing as how so many wikias and MAL exists, it probably shouldn't come as a surprise people got together and made that.

though I did not hype up Terror in Crapness.

I'll admit being guilty of this. I was being optimistic. Only the ending dropped the ball for me.

that's kinda logic, you know.
Yes. I had feared our perception of logic were not common ground. Earthquakes would've happened if it had no been stablized. :P

Cano
At that point, I was merely defending Ghibli against K-ON.
Please. That's like trying to defend a brick wall from a whipped cream pie launcher.

Also, remember, tomorrow day is avatar day.
Yup. Was about to remind you myself. Looks like neither of us will need reminders from this point on.

Please. That's like trying to defend a brick wall from a whipped cream pie launcher.

Hey, dem metal plates are hard.

Yup. Was about to remind you myself. Looks like neither of us will need reminders from this point on.

Sad thing is, I don't have the slightest idea of who it will be.

@RacingOtaku86, woah there. No need to get so defensive. I was just saying that in my opinion and the opinion of most others I have talked to with any degree of knowledge as to what it is, Lucky Star is terrible. As a result, I'm likely to recommend people steer clear of it. That doesn't mean you're not allowed to like it and it's not intended as an attack against you.

The second part wasn't even my opinion. It was perhaps a slightly cynical way of wording it, but otherwise it was objective. Lucky Star is full of random anime references that will most likely make it completely bewildering to a newcomer like @SVX. There are plenty of anime which fall guilty to this trap, and, as a general rule, that usually means that the quality of their actual content wasn't high enough to be self sustaining.

There are some exceptions to this rule. Someone got me to watch Goodbye, Mister Despair a couple of years back and I found it incomprehensible. Watching it now, however, I can appreciate how it's a smart parody of other anime while retaining it's own unique air.

But I still wouldn't recommend it to a newcomer, even if it's good.

And that's the thing. I make recommendations to people based off of what I think is likely to be worth their time, not what I necessarily like. I will recommend Ghost in the Shell to people, despite my indifference to the franchise, because enough people whose tastes I trust love it that I can tell there's a good chance the individual I'm recommending it to may love it as well.

On the other hand, I love Bakemonogatari, but in a list of things I'd recommend to people it just about beats out gastroenteritis.

The other thing to remember is that liking something doesn't make it good. I think Haruhi Suzumiya is great, but that doesn't change the fact that it's for the most part poorly written and I only like it for the premise and the production values.

Azumanga Daioh is a good newcomer's anime because it's largely lacking in content which newcomers wont get, and any that they wont will probably be explained in universe and will be a reference to Japanese folklore or something rather than some random anime from twelve years ago. Similarly, Nichijou is decent for newcomers because any references in it (are there particularly any?) will just get covered up by the general weirdness anyway.

Well I watched KanColle and there wasn't much to hate about it. Rather impressed, the 3d use is intriguing, it's not terribly done but interesting.

Video games only if it "anime" closely attached to it in the culture of animu. I mean, most characters in anime aren't original to anime anyway.

Well I watched KanColle and there wasn't much to hate about it. Rather impressed, the 3d use is intriguing, it's not terribly done but interesting.
Not much to hate but for me there was nothing to like either. Which is a little bad considering the series' popularity and its probable budget size.

Apparently someone 'sunk' in the last episode.
One less character to worry about, then...

So, Saturday evening and into the night, I binged watched through Episode 10 of Hyouka. Seeing this one made me realise how scarily close I relate to Oreki. :scared:

Moreover, I found myself listening to the soundtrack more than the Japanese VAs. Seriously, I thought the soundtrack in there was AMAZING. Even if they licensed some orchestrated music.

Now, I can safely return to mystery anime without immediately solving the problem of "whodunnit".

For those who've watched it, what do you think about it?

@RacingOtaku86, woah there. No need to get so defensive. I was just saying that in my opinion and the opinion of most others I have talked to with any degree of knowledge as to what it is, Lucky Star is terrible. As a result, I'm likely to recommend people steer clear of it. That doesn't mean you're not allowed to like it and it's not intended as an attack against you.

Of course. That makes sense. This is why I NEVER voice my opinion (or anything else) here on the account I make myself an idiot.

@Man of Mister. I can tell you a lot of male anime fans can relate closely to cynics like Oreki. I'm one as well. A lot of mainstream shows written almost always include this character archetype.

What do I think of it? Hyouka's meh. The idea of exploring minute mysteries is fascinating to me, but the show in the end doesn't amount to much (from what I remember), other than Chitanda getting Oreki to be just a tad more open and honest about himself. Show rides hard on the animation quality. All this is something you can typically expect from Kyoto Animation.

I should sample the soundtrack eventually. I started listening to Kara no Kyoukai's stuff just now and it's right up my alley.
Of course. That makes sense. This is why I NEVER voice my opinion (or anything else) here on the account I make myself an idiot.

Is there really a reason to fear scrutiny when you're on the internet? There's already the advantage of remaining anonymous. Remember you don't have to take anything others say to heart.

It helps to not be too hostile about your opinions. By that, I mean there are ways to voice your thoughts without feeling like others will back you up into a corner. Some methods being more respectable than others. If people don't agree with you, there's no need to be jumpy about defending your stand. Any baseless abusive comments should be disregarded anyway (i.e. "your opinion is 🤬"). I've noticed folks who have the tendency to fall back on their last defense "it's my opinion, you can't say anything about it" have the hardest time dealing with this situation. I won't go further into that, but imo I felt it was worth bringing it up for future reference's sake.

Where do I get all this from? I speak from (estimated) 6 years of discussion board experience. From civil sites (like GTP), as well as sites full of childish people and bullies.

Last edited:
I should sample the soundtrack eventually. I started listening to Kara no Kyoukai's stuff just now and it's right up my alley.

Actually, I've found that the soundtracks are not as "original", as most (not all) of them are piano sonatas and compositions from past composers, like Bach.

However, for the scenes that they were featured in, I believe that the soundtrack had good placement.

For the soundtrack that was actually "original", those were the ones that made me rewind the tape because I was oblivious to the subtitles and the voice acting. :P

I overlooked most of the BGM that happened in each episode. But given the impression of what your description, it should be something I wouldn't mind playing in the house. Really helps when you've got household members who enjoy acoustic instruments.

@RacingOtaku86, sorry if I hit a nerve with you or upset you or anything; just... I dunno. Be strong. Don't be afraid to speak up, but be prepared to have other people counter you. Take in their viewpoints, go over them. You may not agree with anything they say, but you may still learn about your own viewpoints from how they disagree with those of others.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

@SVX, following all this debacle, I think I'll actually break down why I made my recommendations in my first post on the matter as to why they are what I would consider good newcomer recommendations.

Ghibli can basically be defined as hand drawn animation's equivalent to Pixar, much in the way Aardman might be considered Pixar's claymation equivalent. Spirited Away became the highest grossing Japanese film ever and won the Oscar for best film for a reason; but beyond that Ghibli have a lot of great films, mainly directed by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata but with a few directed by others. Some are immediately accessible (Porco Rosso, My Neighbour Totoro, Laputa: Castle in the Sky), some completely different to any animated film the west might dare produce (Takahata's war tragedy Grave of the Fireflies, Miyazaki's ultraviolent historical fantasy Princess Mononoke) and some are Pom Poko and involve raccoon dogs attacking SWAT teams with their giant shape shifting scrotum's. Yeah...

Cowboy Bebop largely deals in themes already familiar to western audiences and, unlike most anime actually has a decent English dub. But that's not the point. There are other anime that do that, but none of them are as cool as Cowboy Bebop, have a soundtrack as good as Cowboy Bebop, or have the near perfect animation of Cowboy Bebop. Yeah.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is an interesting one. It's appeal, particularly in the earlier episodes, is unfortunately somewhat held back by it's perhaps over exuberant pastiche of the magical girl aesthetic, which generally flies over the head of those who didn't grow up with shows like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptors, but nonetheless it still stands as a TRULY fantastic piece of story telling which is arguably even better to rewatch than to watch, simply because of the way the whole thing slots together. Just avoid spoilers. You'll enjoy it far more the first time with a virgin mind.

Mamoru Hosoda's films are kind of like Ghibli in style, with a slightly more action oriented nature. I wouldn't say they're as good, but his stuff has the potential to reach that level.

Satoshi Kon's films are rather unique and dreamlike in nature. Perfect Blue has somewhat of a cult classic status amongst non-anime fans. They're worth checking out. He also directed the TV series Paranoia Agent.

Redline is in many ways more reminiscent of many nineties' western graphic novels. It's about intergalactic illegal motorracing. It's utterly mad, but also beautiful.

Death Note is a psychological fantasy detective series about a young man who finds a death god's notebook and uses it to kill people by writing their names and the international super detective in pursuit of him. The characterisation of the guy with the notebook is a bit off at times, and sometimes it takes itself so seriously that it just becomes silly, but overall it's still an interesting, thought provoking watch, if by no means a masterpiece.

Akira is a film about why you shouldn't take drugs.

FLCL is a drug.

Gurren Lagann is a gateway to said drug.

Nichijou is what you start seeing after you take too much FLCL.

Azumanga Daioh is what you're actually looking at when you're watching Nichijou if your vision isn't distorted by all the FLCL.

Last edited:
So we can do videogames? Cool.

Also, she came as a signal. When I was pondering who to put in there, Ride on Shooting Star started playing.
AOS-sama could only do video games...you still have a back log lol.

My entire life is a backlog. This girl I know keeps saying I should play this game and watch this anime, but a combination of procrastination, actually trying to be vaguely productive sometimes, procrastination, and sleeping combined with a sceptical outlook bought on by the number of people who seem to believe that moe is anything other than a cheap backup plan thought up by the tobacco companies in case their products ever get banned have left me following none of their advice at all other than going back and replaying Persona 3.

Nope.

57qGP.jpg

@RacingOtaku86, sorry if I hit a nerve with you or upset you or anything; just... I dunno. Be strong. Don't be afraid to speak up, but be prepared to have other people counter you. Take in their viewpoints, go over them. You may not agree with anything they say, but you may still learn about your own viewpoints from how they disagree with those of others.

You didn't do a thing. It's not your fault, it's all me. I'm not very good at trying to speak up then counterpointing anything else. I'm not very knowledgeable in most of the shows you guys talk about, so I just lurk about.

Last edited:
Back