The Metal ThreadMusic 

I refuse to like Down or Superjoint Ritual as I am against Phil Anselmo for hanging **** on Pantera, after all they gave him fame and money, which he lacked both before Pantera. Ill admit SJR are okay, I dont really go much on them, I find them boring after the first couple of songs, but I wont listen to them as I hate Phil Anselmo. But he does have incredible metal talent, I think he should step into some harder stuff, like some Grind maybe. Hes already sang with a variety of Death bands, most notably Morbid Angel, the legends.

btw Silvia, I like some of your choices, I see you like heavy but you dont seem to venture into anything hard. Fear Factory and SoulFly catch my attention, I like them. I more like SoulFly, as FF singer goes into too much softer singing, but they are not bad nonetheless. I like Probot surprisingly, I didnt think Id get into a metal band formed by a fairly commercial musician, especially one that comes from Nirvana and Foo Fighters. But theyre good, I like the album that they just recorded, full of cameos such as Max from Sepultura and SoulFly. Btw, I don't think you mentioned Sepul above, give them a listen, more preferrably theyre older stuff...the new singer doesnt bring the Sepul-feel IMO.

Speaking of old Pantera members, I see you added Damage Plan. I have theyre album, Ive only listened to 3 songs. I find them excruciatingly boring, they have sort of a country rock feel that I cant get into. I wish Pantera reformed lol, but I dont see that happening with Phil, I cant even see just a one off show happening because of him.

Well thats it, keep this thread alive!

SUPPORT AUSSIE METAL \m/ !!!

Jimmy Enslashay
I refuse to like Down or Superjoint Ritual as I am against Phil Anselmo for hanging **** on Pantera, after all they gave him fame and money, which he lacked both before Pantera. Ill admit SJR are okay, I dont really go much on them, I find them boring after the first couple of songs, but I wont listen to them as I hate Phil Anselmo. But he does have incredible metal talent, I think he should step into some harder stuff, like some Grind maybe. Hes already sang with a variety of Death bands, most notably Morbid Angel, the legends.

btw Silvia, I like some of your choices, I see you like heavy but you dont seem to venture into anything hard. Fear Factory and SoulFly catch my attention, I like them. I more like SoulFly, as FF singer goes into too much softer singing, but they are not bad nonetheless. I like Probot surprisingly, I didnt think Id get into a metal band formed by a fairly commercial musician, especially one that comes from Nirvana and Foo Fighters. But theyre good, I like the album that they just recorded, full of cameos such as Max from Sepultura and SoulFly. Btw, I don't think you mentioned Sepul above, give them a listen, more preferrably theyre older stuff...the new singer doesnt bring the Sepul-feel IMO.

Speaking of old Pantera members, I see you added Damage Plan. I have theyre album, Ive only listened to 3 songs. I find them excruciatingly boring, they have sort of a country rock feel that I cant get into. I wish Pantera reformed lol, but I dont see that happening with Phil, I cant even see just a one off show happening because of him.

Well thats it, keep this thread alive!

SUPPORT AUSSIE METAL \m/ !!!

What I have listed is just a very small taste of what I listen to.......

I agree with you about Damage Plan.... There are a few songs that are ok... But nothing akin to Pantera, or even close to as heavy......

Furthermore, I have to agree (somewhat) with Shannon... Speaking as a musician.... Most (and I mean most, not all) of that grind stuff is pretty mindless, and lacks any substance.... Granted some of it is quite technical, but technical without structure, and interesting compositions, is pointless IMHO..... I get into some of it, but most of it just gets boring......

Your right, I did forget to mention Sepultera... I do enjoy them.....

;)

Hmm, I only like a handful of metal bands.

Metallica, Tool, Dream Theater, Nile, Fear Factory, and a couple others.

I don't see Deftones and A Perfect Circle as metal, like a couple of you others.

Klostrophobic
Hmm, I only like a handful of metal bands.

Metallica, Tool, Dream Theater, Nile, Fear Factory, and a couple others.

I don't see Deftones and A Perfect Circle as metal, like a couple of you others.
If Linkin Park are metal, I guess anything and everything is. I'm sure the Black Sabbath crew are spewing over what the metal scene has evolved into...

Klos - unfortunately Linkin Park are Nu Metal. They aren't to me neither, but any Nu Metal to me really isn't metal. It's just a trendy version.

Shannon - I bet they are, especially Nu Metal. Btw, I hope noone believes Black Sabbath started metal, because they didn't. There is a long-time debate about who started metal, but I am certain it wasn't Black Sabbath. They gave metal a big push, but that's where it ends for me.

Silvia - I can see where ur coming from about some Grind being mindless, there are a fair few Grind bands that are just in Metal to bash the crap out of everything and scream as hard as they can, and while I like some of those bands, I can understand what you're saying. But Grind is mainly about that, so you can't really say those bands give Grind a bad name when they are attempting to do that. But I couldn't see how you could say Grind is boring of all things. I could see some people getting bored with Death or Black, but Grind is just pure anger, rage and aggression, you can't say it's boring!

But anyway, after talking about the first Metal band above, I wouldn't mind starting a debate about it. I've had a few already, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of your opinions.

Until then, keep it Metal and support it in Australia!

Jimmy Enslashay
Klos - unfortunately Linkin Park are Nu Metal. They aren't to me neither, but any Nu Metal to me really isn't metal. It's just a trendy version.
For those who are sitting in the corner going "WTF is Nu-Metal?", here is a quote from another forum I frequent.

"Nu-metal is a new form of metal(bet you couldn't guess that), that borrows traits from hip-hop and funk. In most nu-metal guitars will be used only to create an atmosphere, nu-metal is often refered to as "riff-less metal" for this reason. Also the vocals, which are usually called "aggro" will be a mixture of a angry shout and funky (old)Red Hot Chilly Peppers style vocals. Nu-metal started with KoRn back in '92 or so, the band drawed large influences from Faith No More, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica, and hip hop. Other examples of nu metal acts: Limp Bizkit, Mudvayne, Slipknot, Ill Nino, Linkin Park, Mushroomhead, American Head Charge, etc."

It's a shame Deftones are in the same category. :(

Jimmy Enslashay
Shannon - I bet they are, especially Nu Metal. Btw, I hope noone believes Black Sabbath started metal, because they didn't. There is a long-time debate about who started metal, but I am certain it wasn't Black Sabbath. They gave metal a big push, but that's where it ends for me
Black Sabbath had a huge influence on the metal scene. I wouldn't go as far to say they started metal as such, but if it wasn't for Ozzy and the other boys from Sabbath, there wouldn't be as many good metal bands around.

Jimmy Enslashay
Silvia - I can see where ur coming from about some Grind being mindless, there are a fair few Grind bands that are just in Metal to bash the crap out of everything and scream as hard as they can, and while I like some of those bands, I can understand what you're saying. But Grind is mainly about that, so you can't really say those bands give Grind a bad name when they are attempting to do that. But I couldn't see how you could say Grind is boring of all things. I could see some people getting bored with Death or Black, but Grind is just pure anger, rage and aggression, you can't say it's boring!

I'm glad you are not taking it personally, like so many other people do, when discussiong music... I applaud you for that.....

As for the Grind (or other similar metal genres)....

Grind is just pure anger, rage and aggression, you can't say it's boring!

That's exactly why it does get boring..... Just because something is fast, aggresive, and there are a lot of sounds, does not necessarily make for an interesting song.... Agression, and anger are very simple emotions, and don't usually showcase any kind of depth, or intelligence (by them selves, obviously)..... Don't get me wrong.. I like some thrash, and death metal, even a little grind, but it still gets old, because there just isn't enough substance..... As I said before, Technical music without structure, and/or dynamic changes, cannot hold the interest of most music enthusiasts.....

I have to agree with you about black metal..... There are only a few groups that fall into that category that I can stand...... The rest just sounds like cheesy, over the top, fantasy metal...... Not my style at all.....

I think some groups are getting lumped into the Nu-Metal category too quickly, just because they are new bands, and play metal..... However, 95% of Nu-Metal is crap anyway, so I guess I don't really care.....

As for Linkin Park.... (Shannon knows how I feel about them :sly: )

Mindless formulaic drivel.... (and that's puting it mildly)....

Reused, oversimplified compositions, structure, and/or subjects.....

Not to mention the rediculously simple, and mindless lyrics.....

I could go on all day, about how much I can't stand such Over Produced cookie cutter nonsense, but I will cut my rant short, and allow some other people to give their 0.02 cents....

;)

So what kind of metal music do you prefer, Silvia? I am a die-hard metal fan myself. Yeah, I know that some metal bands might have cliched lyrics but that does not matter to me. This is just my opinion.

Klonie Gun
So what kind of metal music do you prefer, Silvia? I am a die-hard metal fan myself. Yeah, I know that some metal bands might have cliched lyrics but that does not matter to me. This is just my opinion.

I just prefer metal, that at least has a cohesive theme/structure.... Inovation, creative fusion of styles...... I get bored with music that is overproduced, underwritten, or just plain over simplified.....

If it doesn't bother you, then you have nothing to worry about..... To each his own.....

;)

silviadrifter
As for Linkin Park.... (Shannon knows how I feel about them :sly: )
👍​

I turned on Channel [V] (The Australian equivalent of MTV) for the first time in about a month. Why was I not suprised when the first video clip I saw was a new Linkin Park one? Damn commerical whores. 👎

Hey dudes! I'm a metal (and rock) fan as well, I listen to....

Slayer a lot, have all their albums, I also listen to:

Anthrax
Asmegin
Brujeria
Cannibal Corpse
Hatebreed
Kittie
Metallica
Motley Crue
Moshroomhead
Pantera
Rammstein
Slayer
Slipknot
White Zombie

I like others as well but I know their Rock (Like Iron Maiden). The ones I mentioned above I believe their metal, just tell me which ones you wouldn't consider as eal metal

Silvia - I agree with alot of the things you have to say, and I see where you're coming from about Grind, but I guess it's not your style. Your thoughts about Nu Metal are about exactly the same as mine, summed up, it doesn't deserve the title of "Metal". About Black metal, I agree with every word u said.Its the modern version of Glam, in metal form. The only Black I like at all is Dimmu, but they aren't great. They're also liars, they say they are struggling, but just look at their video clips...they're not struggling.

gtavc fan - you actually remind me a little of myself about 5 or 6 years ago...I was obsessed with Slayer, actually I listen to them alot now. I got all their stuff lol. Also some of the bands you listen to remind me of my taste back then...Pantera, Cannibal Corpse was one of the first death bands I listened to...by the way their latest album "Wretched Spawn", their best work yet. Faster and much more exciting. Btw, don't listen to Kittie, it will hurt your ears!!! Yuck, lol, women don't belong in metal bands, sorry :lol:.

Klonie - What are some of your favourite Metal bands? I'm curious...btw, nice salute!

Jimmy Enslashay
Silvia - I agree with alot of the things you have to say, and I see where you're coming from about Grind, but I guess it's not your style. Your thoughts about Nu Metal are about exactly the same as mine, summed up, it doesn't deserve the title of "Metal". About Black metal, I agree with every word u said.Its the modern version of Glam, in metal form. The only Black I like at all is Dimmu, but they aren't great. They're also liars, they say they are struggling, but just look at their video clips...they're not struggling.

Thankyou, Jimmy..... I'm happy to see a mature metal fan.....

Dimmu Borgir have a little nickname around here... "Dimmu Bigbucks" They have talent, but it's too over the top, even for Balck Metal..... Not to mention, I just cant stand the lead singers voice.....

;)

Jimmy Enslashay
Klonie - What are some of your favourite Metal bands? I'm curious...btw, nice salute!

You should have looked in the bottom of the first page. Then you will know my favorite metal bands.

BTW, thanks for appreciating my salute ;) 👍

Klonie Gun
Glad to hear about it. And gtavcfan, here is my salute to you:

\m/\m/ :mischievous: :cool: :cheers:

Hey thanks dude.

Oh yeah, Jimmy Enslashay have you heard about Brujeria? (a death metal band from Mexico)

gtavcfan - actually, can't say I have, I might download some in the next week or so. Any good? Also, what do you think are the top 3 Slayer albums. I had a discussion about this a few days ago with a few friends, but they like the newer albums, which are OK, but not as good as the older albums. I would go:

1. Reign in Blood (anyone who doesn't put this 1st is crazy!)
2. Seasons in the Abyss
3. Divine Intervention

Silvia - thanks, I don't want to be one of those one sided boneheads, because then noone will respect your thread and I want this thread to go far.

Klonie - my bad. I confuse you with Klostrophobic because I call him Klos and you Klonie. Sorry.

hey jimmy, good to see some AUSSIE metal lovers lol
have you heard anything form perth?? black steel, maximum perversion?? there pretty cool (im from perth) theres a few other, just cant seem to remember lol

Jimmy Enslashay
gtavcfan - actually, can't say I have, I might download some in the next week or so. Any good? Also, what do you think are the top 3 Slayer albums. I had a discussion about this a few days ago with a few friends, but they like the newer albums, which are OK, but not as good as the older albums. I would go:

1. Reign in Blood (anyone who doesn't put this 1st is crazy!)
2. Seasons in the Abyss
3. Divine Intervention

Silvia - thanks, I don't want to be one of those one sided boneheads, because then noone will respect your thread and I want this thread to go far.

Klonie - my bad. I confuse you with Klostrophobic because I call him Klos and you Klonie. Sorry.

Reign in Blood really is a good album, but to say the truth, I like some of their older albums, since my most favorite song is from Diabolus in Musica (which is In the Name of God)

I would put them as:

1st Diabolus in Musica
2nd Divine Intervention
3rd Seasons in the Abyss
4th Reign In Blood
5th Haunting the Chapel

oh, by the way, my top 10 favorite Slayer songs are:

In the Name of God
Scrum
Screaming from the Sky
Staind of Mind
Point
Overt Enemy
Sex Murder Art
Circle of Believes
Spirit in Black
Raining Blood

Brujeria might be heavy, but I don't listen to them to often because of the content.

gtavcfan - You seem to like Diabolus alot!

Silverzone - AC/DC are NOT metal. They sing songs like "It's a long way to the top if you wanna ROCK AND ROLL", "To those about to ROCK we salute you", etc, etc, etc...Trust me, I'm Australian, my whole family including my Mother love AC/DC...Ok, point proven, lol.

Boone - I've heard of Black Steel.

Originally posted by Jimmy Enslashay gtavcfan - You seem to like Diabolus alot!

I know I do, take a look at my Playlist, from my Windows Media Player:

Attachments

• playlist.jpg
    playlist.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 37
Nice! The only song I don't like there that I noticed was Bloodline, one of their worst songs ever. I have all Slayer albums, dvd/vcd of concerts from '96 + a couple from 86 and 88, and the latest Soundtrack to the Apocalypse with the DVD. The last thing I got was surprisingly War at the Warfield. They're pretty much my favourite band, but I don't listen to them all the time.

Btw, I should know this as a Metal fan and I'm ashamed that I don't, but is the Dimmu drummer that they recently acquired the fastest drummer in the world? I've heard it said but I don't know if it's true.

I am currently listening to Ratamahatta by Sepultura. Great track. I have not seen Sepultura mentioned in this thread, does anyone listen to them?

Jimmy Enslashay
Nice! The only song I don't like there that I noticed was Bloodline, one of their worst songs ever. I have all Slayer albums, dvd/vcd of concerts from '96 + a couple from 86 and 88, and the latest Soundtrack to the Apocalypse with the DVD. The last thing I got was surprisingly War at the Warfield. They're pretty much my favourite band, but I don't listen to them all the time.

Btw, I should know this as a Metal fan and I'm ashamed that I don't, but is the Dimmu drummer that they recently acquired the fastest drummer in the world? I've heard it said but I don't know if it's true.

Bloodline and God Send Death are the two best songs (at least for me) from God Hates Us All (2001), the one that is the worst is probably the first track called Darkness of Christ and the eight track Seven Faces.

I don't really now about the drumming-thing. you're talking about Dimmu Borgir aren't you, I haven't heard their music yet.

gtavcfan - Yea Dimmu Borgir. Apparantly the new drummer is the fastest in the world. Btw, I don't like Seven Faces or Darkness of Christ either, btu Bloodline is worse to me, it's so boring. Disciple is probably my favourite song off God Hates Us All, followed by God Send Death and maybe Warzone. I don't mind Payback either.

DQuan - I have mentioned Sepultura, but not in depth. I only like 1 song from "Roots", I find their tribal stuff like Rattamahatta and Kaiowas (off "Chaos A.D.") boring on CD, but better live, although I don't like it much anyway. But it's part of the Sepul-way so I respect it. Their best album by far is Chaos A.D., if you haven't heard it, then buy it, download it or whatever, because nearly every song on that album is good. Also, if you like the singer Max then listen to SoulFly, he left Sepul for them, and SoulFly are good, maybe just as good as Sepultura.

THE GAME
Tool and Metallica.

Would Godsmack fall in this category? Because i am a HUGE fan of them.

(sorry I just can't help it) uhuhuhu TOOL! (besides metal, i'm also a big fan of Beavis and Butthead, Sounds funny the way Butthead says "Tool" and "hard")

Sorry about that. I've heard Godmack before on the "Scream 3 Soundtrack" it sounds like its Hard rock, but the song sounds cool, its "Time Bomb"

Jimmy Enslashay, you have a big interest in "Reign in Blood", what song do you like the most? As for my self, I like "Raining Blood", "Angel of Death", "Piece by Piece" and "Postmortem".

gtavcfan - Angel of Death and Raining Blood definately first, in my opinion they're Slayer's best ever songs. Second, Postmortem and Jesus Saves. Then everything else except for Criminally Insane, I don't know but I don't like that song. It's incredibly boring to me.

THEGAME - Godsmack actually does fall under metal, correct me if I'm wrong but I would say Nu Metal. I don't like them really and I don't hear of them much on the sites I go to, or generally out here in Australia, so I don't know really. But I would guess Nu Metal. I know that they're metal, as on one of the news submitted to SMN News, it says Metal = 1...Punk = 0, and it proceeded to tell of how Godsmack and they're whole organisation of band members and crew beat up the 3 or 4 "Story of the Year" members.

Back