The new AI - your thoughts

• Thread starter tomcat66
  • 282 comments
The AI will catch you if given enough time after youve passed them. They make more mistakes amongst themselves. Once youre at the front they (somewhat) get their act together and challenge you instead of eachother. If they made less out-braking themselves, theyd be a good challenge. That is if youre running a slightly lesser car to make it interesting; at least in my experience.
so many times I catch the rabbit early and then see him, and sometimes others, magically keep the pace. That, to me, means the AI is there, but PDI is somehow making the game easier probably to get more sales/appeal...

I guess the GT6 in it's current version is not FIA Approved :lol:
they cut and don't get penalties and ram into opponents
mhh .. wait.. it remember me some F1 races from this year, maybe my guess is wrong after all :D

I wonder if they are not just making fun on us
Let's see how we can piss players more than in last patch :rolleyes:
Avant en F1 tu pouvais couper un virage ou une chicane tant que tu ne gagnais pas de place, ça a changé? (before in F1 you could cut a corner as long as you didn't gain position, has that changed?)

so many times I catch the rabbit early and then see him, and sometimes others, magically keep the pace. That, to me, means the AI is there, but PDI is somehow making the game easier probably to get more sales/appeal...

Avant en F1 tu pouvais couper un virage ou une chicane tant que tu ne gagnais pas de place, ça a changé? (before in F1 you could cut a corner as long as you didn't gain position, has that changed?)

well lauda Rosberg just had a warning on last canadian grand prix
he didn't let hamilton pass after cutting the track
hamilton did it some laps after showing him how much he gained by doing that and then gave him back the lead
im' sure he knew already that he will retire a few laps after and just showed him and all the others what to do in such case
i hope lauda Rosberg will learn from that or it will start to be crazy and maybe we will see something like in the era of Prost and Senna in the McLaren team :lol:

I hate when AI hit you like a missile on the last chicane of Spa ...
I hate when the AI cut the last chicane of Spa then push you in the grass on the right side and win the race ...

I can't believe that they are not joking on us when they test that before release

"Ahahah look at that the AI will kill them all and increase their frustration,
i hope they will go play an other game, i need holydays"
or
"Insider Dev phone call to Mr X:
I manipulated the code of the AI, they haven't seen it before release
it will give a lot of frustration, many players will quit the GT game and go play yours.
Mr X:
All right, i credit your bank account,
you will receive more when ciffers will show they loose players and we have more in, continue your good job"

;)

Last edited:
AI is not better, it's just running in a more aggressive mode, just like b-spec in GT5 when it was running in the red, only that AI didn't overshoot like that in GT5. In GT6 it apparently means that the AI also misses their braking points by about a mile. Good luck, if you're ahead of them and braking at the right point, because chances are you'll get rammed.

I tried the Spa-race with an Audi R18 the other day and managed to take the lead before Stavelot. Of course, the Sauber is coming up fast behind me, but without a chance to pass me before the Bus Stop chicane, but what do you know? It misses its braking point, shoots by me in the braking zone and straight across the chicane at about 150 km/h, recovers on the start/finish straight and finishes 4 seconds ahead of me. Ah, but I was going through the chicane like it was intended, stupid me. I should have known.

Did the Laguna Seca race and tried the Bathurst race earlier today. Was pleasantly surprised to see a few crashes to keep things a little more interesting. On the other hand, when I was QP spun by a 'wiping out' 430 scud and was shunted straight into a wall by a Huayra I'm starting to think the AI changes are little more than 'crash sometimes and go faster when losing'. The AI apparently still does not register the player as a physical entity half of the time.

If it makes races less boring (and it does) then I'm all for it but a step up isn't all that impressive when you're starting from the ground.

FIA will never put a "FIA APPROVED" stamp on the AI
AI is not racing securely :lol:
or they are too slow and are a "moving chicane"
or they are braking unsafely and ramming into other cars

I enjoyed the fact that PD made changes to AI way of racing. Its all nice to see the efforts of applying the real life status to the game. However, the new kind of manouvers that the AI is applying cannot be considered as fair or legal, imo.
The late braking is normal, it may happen to the best of racer/pilot. Its also a fact that sometimes is out of the pilots hands or it has mechanical causes.

Regarding the part where, us players, get rammed by the AI behind us, I consider it illegal, has I can´t remember that being a part of a race driver skills...

Just my opinion... 👍

Did the Laguna Seca race and tried the Bathurst race earlier today. Was pleasantly surprised to see a few crashes to keep things a little more interesting. On the other hand, when I was QP spun by a 'wiping out' 430 scud and was shunted straight into a wall by a Huayra I'm starting to think the AI changes are little more than 'crash sometimes and go faster when losing'. The AI apparently still does not register the player as a physical entity half of the time.

If it makes races less boring (and it does) then I'm all for it but a step up isn't all that impressive when you're starting from the ground.

The question is did you still win? If so the AI are still broken

The last seasonals are using a quite interesting AI racing pattern. It's not fast most of times, and often they do overspeed in some corners, very late braking causing crashes. That's ok and seems to occur in a somewhat random basis. I've had an interesting race against a Speed 12 and McLaren F1 @ Bathurst. Near the final lap they started to fight for the 1st place and then they become fast as hell from one second to another. I was chasing them with my 600pp MP4-12C and just before the final lap they simply decided to be super fast. I finished the race in 3rd place.

Some events seem to be more random.

They just need more consistency on their speed and stop braking too much. The 3 first places seem to be way faster than the rest. (of course the car choice interfere in that)

Last edited:
The question is did you still win? If so the AI are still broken

Nope. 430 Scud span me out on second to last corner at Laguna Seca and I was in a terribad Firebird so there was no chance that I could catch up again even though it went off on the last corner. With the Huayra I was just too tired of all the crazy AI so I gave up until the next day.

The 3 first places seem to be way faster than the rest. (of course the car choice interfere in that)

For me that is the main problem. Because the PP-level of the cars is so different, they spread way too much. I remember the first of the new seasonals (Suzuka) where the cars were matched much better. So you could see a lot of fights between AI cars. Unfortunately that it no longer true at the recent seasonals.

For me the most fun experience is the beginner level seasonal at Silverstone. When you take the lead there the AI cars behind you begin to race seriously. Watching them in the rear view mirror (or in replay) is a lot of fun.

I tried the Laguna seasonal for the first time. Was slammed off track in both races I tried by a Scuderia on the last lap. Reminds me of PS2 AI. Another step backwards for PD. I sure won't bother wasting my time with theses "races" anymore. At least it raised my interest in trying out Grid Autosport.

For me that is the main problem. Because the PP-level of the cars is so different, they spread way too much. I remember the first of the new seasonals (Suzuka) where the cars were matched much better. So you could see a lot of fights between AI cars. Unfortunately that it no longer true at the recent seasonals.

For me the most fun experience is the beginner level seasonal at Silverstone. When you take the lead there the AI cars behind you begin to race seriously. Watching them in the rear view mirror (or in replay) is a lot of fun.

Yes! Last race I did at Silverstone there was an AI with a BTR in a hard battle with the car itself and a TVR Cerbera. It was amazing to watch. Of course the RUF spun out and the poor AI got almost killed.

The AI is definitely more aggressive (which isn't necessarily bad) but there is rubberbanding and penalties are really inconsistent/unevenly distributed.

Ramming penalties for defending/holding your line while AI can use you as a brake into Griffins bend without penalty?

I overtook the AI at Forrest's Elbow as they went head-first in to the barrier. Within the same lap, they were back to pitting me at Murrays without penalty.

Last edited:
Ramming penalties for defending/holding your line while AI can use you as a brake into Griffins bend without penalty?

What you on man?
You quite clearly turned in on him.

At least you provide a video, nobody else seems brave enough here...

turned on him? I see @Nagan not braking enough and hitting that red car...

turned in on him

If you don't want a black eye and/or broken visor,
then don't go making a habit of hanging your nose round the outside rear corner of other cars entering griffins.
if they want to break the tail loose, you will fire them straight into the outside fence, not pretty.

He turned his nose straight into the outside rear quarter of the other car entering griffins.

turned in on him

If you don't want a black eye and/or broken visor,
then don't go making a habit of hanging your nose round the outside rear corner of other cars entering griffins.
if they want to break the tail loose, you will fire them straight into the outside fence, not pretty.

He turned his nose straight into the outside rear quarter of the other car entering griffins.
Nagan's hitting the red car in front of him, not the one on the side, watch the vid again (sorry if this is what you meant, english isn't my first language and turn "in" is confusing to me)

That's ok, no need for apologies, I was quite happy to explain what I meant.

He receives the penalty for leaning on the dark vehicle on his inside, and, if I'm not mislead by the poor audio quality, he stands on the gas while leaning on the car showing intent to continue on with it.
If he had continued to stay out of throttle until cars separated, he may have got away with it.

edit: I should add, I was indeed incorrect, he didn't lean his nose on outside rear quarter, he just plain leant on the vehicle on his inside.

Last edited:

He receives the penalty for leaning on the dark vehicle on his inside, and, if I'm not mislead by the poor audio quality, he stands on the gas while leaning on the car showing intent to continue on with it.
If he had continued to stay out of throttle until cars separated, he may have got away with it.

edit: I should add, I was indeed incorrect, he didn't lean his nose on outside rear quarter, he just plain leant on the vehicle on his inside.
Ok thanks, I did understand what you meant then, but I don't think it's the black car, never got a penalty for trading door paints lol, maybe @Nagan can clear this up?

I agree with the 40pp and yes you can nudge them when side by side without penalty.
see?

I'm beginning to think that Forza "Drivatar" system actually got implemented in GT6, the way this game simulates the experience of driving with 12 year olds online is uncanny now!

10498493_920954664586980_6284139192881248301_o.jpg

10562656_920954661253647_7996651037406449480_o.jpg

10494389_920954667920313_4754399572106841508_o.jpg

Smashed into me full speed, barely even attempted to brake - would've taken me with him if I didn't see him coming in the mirror and straightened out instead of turning in.

Perhaps he was offended when I pulled off the same maneuver properly the lap prior, or perhaps it was the fact I was dominating in a 450pp car, who knows.

10531233_920955907920189_4016060038900883994_o.jpg

I'm with you jase, I don't see any contact with red car in front but turns in hard on the black

I did a race in Suzuka Circuit (complete track), 3 laps, on a fully-tuned Subaru GT300 Super GT BRZ (with no driving aids, manual transmission and professional difficulty). When I was in the final lap close to the last corner, I overtook the last guy I needed to overtake to win the race. Could it be that the AI are now adjusting to your car's performance?

I did a race in Suzuka Circuit (complete track), 3 laps, on a fully-tuned Subaru GT300 Super GT BRZ (with no driving aids, manual transmission and professional difficulty). When I was in the final lap close to the last corner, I overtook the last guy I needed to overtake to win the race. Could it be that the AI are now adjusting to your car's performance?

Well at least there is no change in the selection of AI cars driving against you. No matter what car you choose (within the limits), the AI will always drive the same cars.

But there is a difference in HOW the AI is driving. And they certainly change their race style during the race. They start at a certain speed and when you drive much faster than AI, they will start to increase their speed too. They obviously hate to loose a race so they become much faster in the last laps.

In the latest A-Spec races I had a lot of fun with the Intermediate Level Non-Racecar Challenge race at the Nurburgring GP/F. It seems the AI is duplicating your driving style. I did brake too late in the first corner after start/finish (Castrol S) in lap 3. I was already leading in my stock McLaren MP4. And the 2 cars behind me decided to go off track too. Quite a mess in that corner. That happened twice later in game on different corners. Seems the AI has some serious problems with this track.

It would be cool if you could race your fastest lap replays and the AI would take over if for drafting or correcting the line to pass.

These images are from one (1) lap

The classic "Stop being faster than me I don't like it" kid online

10506694_924706427545137_1118762026023470036_o.jpg

10583045_924706400878473_7820139521963468026_o.jpg

10560517_924706390878474_3574697828593309455_o.jpg

The "Perfect, that sand trap will really mess up his lap - better ram him full force and barge him off the track"

10495355_924706464211800_6005887941885818188_o.jpg

And the "I forgot to brake, mind if I use yours?"

10498439_924706537545126_4143393930125292009_o.jpg

Followed by the classic PIT

10575349_924706524211794_4401375531517474285_o.jpg

And hangs on like a bulldog until I slam the brakes to get away from him.

10380691_924706410878472_7071076604887471114_o.jpg

This psycho stayed on my ass for 3/5 laps despite the fact I caught up to him with absolute ease, so not only is the rubber banding seemingly getting worse, they're actively targeting and smashing me (I was taking unconventional lines to test this theory as you can tell from the first image)

The AI swerves wildly and overdrives massively in an attempt to crash fullforce into the player

How, exactly - is this better than before?

Intelligence =/= Agression. We need more intelligence, we got less.
So true... GT5 AI was extremely slow, but at least it tried to avoid crashes.

The GT6 AI is nearly as slow as GT5's plus I always get rammed.

In the last 500 PP seasonal at Laguna Seca, a Gallardo hit me hard from behind under braking, causing and him to lose control over the car. I watched the replay, the Gallardo was way too fast. He would have also spun out without me in the way.

Back