The new AI - your thoughts

• Thread starter tomcat66
  • 282 comments
Maybe it was just that particular race. I don't know I'll try some others later.

I wouldn't take that too seriously. Sounds like a blanket statement without testing, and an exageration.

Yeah they still brake Earlie, but not nearly that much. Sure they are still predictable, but they are not glued to the racing line or giving the user huge space to maneuver as much as they used to, they alter their line when they lose comand of the racing line. They are driving tighter than before, & when in a tight pack they don't run you off the track as much as before, I've not been banged off by dumb Ai for the past few updates.

They are still sloooow in medium out, predictable and easy to manipulate, but IMO improvements have been made.

Last edited:
Maybe it was just that particular race. I don't know I'll try some others later.

It's been like the since release. I remember GT being a challenge back on the PS2 days, maybe that's because I was young but GT5 and 6 have been the most pointless single player games I've ever touched,

I agree something has changed with the A.I. for the better, I did a few races last night and I got a pretty good challenge from them. Also I do career mode different than most and I think that's the problem. I do career mode with all stock cars with some no oil change. For you all that are saying it's to easy, your probably taking a maxed out car with downforce and the best tires for the race, so of course you going to think it's easy. Last night I noticed the A.I. didn't come out of the corner slow and stall before accelerating after I pass especially when your right on their bumper. Here's a challenge you all, take a stock GT3 of your choice and do the iA GT3 championship again and tell me if is not a decent race. I did this last night in a stock SLS GT3 racing hard tires and it was fun, I actually lost at Monza, came in second because of an off track and the other races, two of them I won by less than a second.

Yeah, I think it was 1.09 or 1.10 that something, albeit a small something changed. They can drive in a tight pack much better, they avoid the user more, but they still brake real early and its easy to overmatch them in A-Spec.

Well after 1.09 or 1.10 the A.I. definitely changed and many came here to GTPlanet to tell us how bad it became. The A.I. were revamped to act a bit crazy, and were ramming people off the track left and right. It's well explained early in this exact thread.

Something seems quite different now. I've experienced no such madness since 1.12.

The AI is the same. Never leaving the racing line. Always braking super early.

You are incorrect, sir. I am watching them take many lines and behave quite racy in packs with fair awareness. They still brake early in many cases, but it is tangibly better than before and any step in the right direction should be praised.

... Here's a challenge you all, take a stock GT3 of your choice and do the iA GT3 championship again and tell me it is not a decent race.

For some of us hardcore racing fanatics you may want to up that challenge a bit. How about CS tires for some real pedal-dancing fun?

:sly:

I agree something has changed with the A.I. for the better, I did a few races last night and I got a pretty good challenge from them. Also I do career mode different than most and I think that's the problem. I do career mode with all stock cars with some no oil change. For you all that are saying it's to easy, your probably taking a maxed out car with downforce and the best tires for the race, so of course you going to think it's easy. Last night I noticed the A.I. didn't come out of the corner slow and stall before accelerating after I pass especially when your right on their bumper. Here's a challenge you all, take a stock GT3 of your choice and do the iA GT3 championship again and tell me if is not a decent race. I did this last night in a stock SLS GT3 racing hard tires and it was fun, I actually lost at Monza, came in second because of an off track and the other races, two of them I won by less than a second.
I'll do you one better... I built a "sort of F40 LM" car to 550PP with about 542hp and did all the GT3 races today. Takes a while to get that thing to turn but I tell you what when you do get it to go around the track you sure do get some fun and challenging racing. If you're not surgical with it your race is done.

The key to surviving these races, and having a good time, is of course not having the ai ramming you all the time.

I like you though also have the most fun racing bone stock, no oil change, tires down AT LEAST one grade. Pure racing 👍

For some of us hardcore racing fanatics you may want to up that challenge a bit. How about CS tires for some real pedal-dancing fun?

Now that's truly hardcore right there :scared:

Just did it today. Stock no oil change megane trophy. No aids except abs. Messes up a few first lap or 3rd lap but AI waited for me.
Won all first go. Now i know why many complained. As long as you do decent last 2 laps, the first few laps are just for show. I could spin out twice on 3rd last lap and still catch up.... won most by 3 to 8 seconds.

I am usually 10 seconds a lap slower than fastest seasonal TT and so these top players can probably park the car for 30 seconds before starting.

Well after 1.09 or 1.10 the A.I. definitely changed and many came here to GTPlanet to tell us how bad it became. The A.I. were revamped to act a bit crazy, and were ramming people off the track left and right. It's well explained early in this exact thread.

Something seems quite different now. I've experienced no such madness since 1.12.

You are incorrect, sir. I am watching them take many lines and behave quite racy in packs with fair awareness. They still brake early in many cases, but it is tangibly better than before and any step in the right direction should be praised.

Comforts on a GT3, that's interesting, I'll go sports.:sly:
Just did it today. Stock no oil change megane trophy. No aids except abs. Messes up a few first lap or 3rd lap but AI waited for me.
Won all first go. Now i know why many complained. As long as you do decent last 2 laps, the first few laps are just for show. I could spin out twice on 3rd last lap and still catch up.... won most by 3 to 8 seconds.

I am usually 10 seconds a lap slower than fastest seasonal TT and so these top players can probably park the car for 30 seconds before starting.
The Megane Trophy is not a GT3 car, that's probably the reason they was slow, pick a GT3 car, GT-R GT3, SLS GT3, R8 GT3, or a BMW GT2 and run the whole championship and it must be stock no oil change then reply back and let us know.👍

I do that all the time it's so much fun!

I dislike two things about the "new" AI, both of which are very noticeable in the A-Spec seasonals:
  • The catch-up system that kicks in once you take 1st place in the race. You'll have reeled in the AI's 20 second lead within 2 laps, only to have them remain right on your tail for the rest of the race. This is unrealistic.
  • The way the AI run off track in the expert seasonals. It's like they've turned the AI up to 11, but the AI haven't been tuned to run at those speeds properly, which results in AI cars repeatedly running wide and going off track. Spin outs and mistakes would make more sense in the beginner events, but not in the expert events.

I dislike two things about the "new" AI, both of which are very noticeable in the A-Spec seasonals:
  • The catch-up system that kicks in once you take 1st place in the race. You'll have reeled in the AI's 20 second lead within 2 laps, only to have them remain right on your tail for the rest of the race. This is unrealistic.
  • The way the AI run off track in the expert seasonals. It's like they've turned the AI up to 11, but the AI haven't been tuned to run at those speeds properly, which results in AI cars repeatedly running wide and going off track. Spin outs and mistakes would make more sense in the beginner events, but not in the expert events.
I strongly agree with both of your points. To extend upon your second point, one thing that really gets under my skin is how the AI seems to drive unaware of our presence a lot more frequently now. For example, I will overtake an AI driver cleanly, but not convincingly, maybe by half a car length or so... As we approach a corner the AI will drive right into me like I'm not there, often spinning me like he was performing a pit maneuver! It's strange because I do also believe that the AI has gotten more "intelligent" in general. They no longer religiously adhere to the driving line like they did in earlier versions of GT6, yet in my example it seems like that is exactly what the AI driver is doing -- turning into the optimum driving line for the corner rather than maintaining his driving line on the outside of the turn. Yet, I will frequently see AI drivers maintain outside driving lines when they are side-by-side with other AI drivers. Strange. Strange and frustrating!

... the AI seems to drive unaware of our presence a lot more frequently now. For example, I will overtake an AI driver cleanly, but not convincingly, maybe by half a car length or so... As we approach a corner the AI will drive right into me like I'm not there, often spinning me like he was performing a pit maneuver! It's strange because I do also believe that the AI has gotten more "intelligent" in general. They no longer religiously adhere to the driving line like they did in earlier versions of GT6, yet in my example it seems like that is exactly what the AI driver is doing -- turning into the optimum driving line for the corner rather than maintaining his driving line on the outside of the turn. Yet, I will frequently see AI drivers maintain outside driving lines when they are side-by-side with other AI drivers. Strange. Strange and frustrating!

Have you been seeing this ramming action as much since 1.12? To me, it seems they have calmed that down a bit after it became rampant post 1.10, but maybe some more testing is needed now..

I was using my bmw m3 in a seasonal once and I easily got to first in about two laps. So at about lap 4 I have a 15 second lead over second place. On the last lap at the same checkpoint it said I had a mere 2 second lead. How could they gain on me that much when I was driving as fast as I could?

Comforts on a GT3, that's interesting, I'll go sports.:sly:

The Megane Trophy is not a GT3 car, that's probably the reason they was slow, pick a GT3 car, GT-R GT3, SLS GT3, R8 GT3, or a BMW GT2 and run the whole championship and it must be stock no oil change then reply back and let us know.👍

Did the championship in GT-R GT3. No oil change bone stock no aids except abs. Won all but yes all on my tail. It also confirmed that the AI waited for me. In race 2, my baby boy turn my TV off midway thru 2nd lap. By the time i am out of sand trap, i am 28 seconds behind. Caught up in 2 laps and then they are on my tail again.

I think AI are fully capable of the fast laps (as in they are not boosted) but do intentionally slow down.

Did the championship in GT-R GT3. No oil change bone stock no aids except abs. Won all but yes all on my tail. It also confirmed that the AI waited for me. In race 2, my baby boy turn my TV off midway thru 2nd lap. By the time i am out of sand trap, i am 28 seconds behind. Caught up in 2 laps and then they are on my tail again.

I think AI are fully capable of the fast laps (as in they are not boosted) but do intentionally slow down.
I agree, they do slow down, only if they sense your a slower driver or making mistakes. I think they programmed them like that on purpose because they have to cater to everybody not just the veterans, beginners to. If they didn't, then you would get complaints that they are to fast and it's impossible to win even for fast people driving stock cars. They might even use the term "nerf" the A.I. cars. Then people would resort to maxing out their cars or driving recklessly to win. I noticed you said you won but they was right on you, question, did you pass them all clean without touching them? That's my challenge on what I try to do, stock, no oil change for magic horsepower, pass clean and drive like I would in real life realistically and for the most part it be a decent race.

I was using my bmw m3 in a seasonal once and I easily got to first in about two laps. So at about lap 4 I have a 15 second lead over second place. On the last lap at the same checkpoint it said I had a mere 2 second lead. How could they gain on me that much when I was driving as fast as I could?
It's called rubberbanding. They slow down to let you catch up, then speed up when you pass them. Imagine a giant rubber band attached to you and the AI closest to you and it makes sense.

I agree, they do slow down, only if they sense your a slower driver or making mistakes. I think they programmed them like that on purpose because they have to cater to everybody not just the veterans, beginners to. If they didn't, then you would get complaints that they are to fast and it's impossible to win even for fast people driving stock cars. They might even use the term "nerf" the A.I. cars. Then people would resort to maxing out their cars or driving recklessly to win. I noticed you said you won but they was right on you, question, did you pass them all clean without touching them? That's my challenge on what I try to do, stock, no oil change for magic horsepower, pass clean and drive like I would in real life realistically and for the most part it be a decent race.

Fairly clean passes. I notice in faster races, contact with AI usually slows me down more. Using them to slow or turn more is more a lottery and can result disastrous skids or unpredictable effect on tires temperature or uneven tire contacts so i avoid AI as much as i can though occasional rubs happens. My laps are usually faster when I am ahead and need not change line to avoid contacts. They seems to draft off me or faster than me on straights after i am ahead and back away on the turns. Not quite a race as they never overtake me once i am ahead unlike what happens in seasonals before they were toned down.
So far, rainmaster, drift and kart completely stumped me but other races are pretty much gold on first or couple of tries up to iA with mostly stock cars with matching tires near pp.

Last edited:
Well I had a fairly close race in the expert rain seasonal race. A red Countach and white RGT remained on my tail the entirety of the last half of the race, I gained first place at the beginning of the fourth lap, the RGT actually passed me several times and kept the lead for a short while. RGT also was the most aggressive of the two, though it amounted to no more than a few nudges, not really ramming. Countach regained second place at the end of the race though. Countach finished less than a second after me, RGT not far behind.

I raced a few Bathurst 12Hours today. Depending on what the majority of cars are, I'm finding the lead 3 are pretty quick. Even when shadowing them for a few laps. I also find if there is a make of the majority down the order, that car catches up to the lead pack. Mostly I have gotten R8s as the majority and GT-Rs(naturally).

Makes good replays though.

Last night I entered the latest expert seasonal race and I was driving a 500PP lightly tuned Impreza STi '05 against Yellowbird and Ferrari GTO in wet Spa. I just passed Ferrari and won in second to last corner of the race, going full speed for last 2 laps when track was getting dry. Very much fun and a nice AI demo.

Won all first go. ....

We are really thinking that you need a similar-classed car to the opponents. It also seems that certain Career Mode races are really producing/highlighting these racy A.I., such as the GT3 Championship and the GT500 / GT300 races.

If you pick a lower-classed car (even tuned up to GT3 spec) then it is possible that the A.I. are programmed to wait for you, regardless.

Did the championship in GT-R GT3. No oil change bone stock no aids except abs. Won all but yes all on my tail. It also confirmed that the AI waited for me. ... I think AI are fully capable of the fast laps (as in they are not boosted) but do intentionally slow down.

^ Please try to tell us of your tire selection, as they are basically the most important piece of equipment on a road racing car.

So far, rainmaster, drift and kart completely stumped me but other races are pretty much gold on first or couple of tries up to iA with mostly stock cars with matching tires near pp.

Matching tires will be no challenge and you will effectively blow right by the A.I. bots, not allowing them to show their newfound skill.

Take your favorite GT3 car, all stock (tune suspension/brake settings if you please), no aids, no abs is preferred but not a requirement, and equip Sports Hard or Comfort Soft tires to any one of the iA GT3 Series races and let's see how things go. We want to notice the pace, racecraft, and awareness of the A.I. Also watch the leaders during replay for signs of rubberbanding (letting off throttle unnecessarily, unusually slow laptimes, etc.). We need more offline-loving veteran players to test this out and see if they feel the difference. Much appreciation goes out to those who have reported their findings in the last two pages of this thread.

I have attached a fantastic new-A.I. example race replay featuring the GT300 Deep Forest race. I have the grey Subaru BR-Z GT300 Base Model, all stock, no aids, no abs, on Sports Hard tires and it is a HOOT of a race! I chose SH tires here because I was trying to have a chance at actually winning -which is not something I usually do. My usual style is to match tires to a point where I can really go hard to fight mid-pack, instead of chasing the usual gran-turismo rabbit/rabbits who often lead by 20 seconds. It is true, I spend a LOT of time racing offline against the bots in close-quarters.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=07263999832947332123 -gt6 replay data zipped.

In this replay I slam into a cusco impreza at the 50sec mark, but instead of restarting I chose to compose myself and get after it, as that seems to be a huge part of RL racing. From that point on I am pushing the limit. For 4 laps, lol. Obviously I make huge ground on them every lap at exit of turn 15 (final turn) as they are still not programmed to be fast there, unfortunately. But overall they are faster, more aggressive (@3:05 I slide a bit wide and the Arta sticks his nose right in there), more aware (I am being given obvious room when I press them), less prone to park it when side-by-side (this is a clear change in the A.I., as they are quite comfortable being next to you at speed now), and most of all the brake checking at turn exit seems to have been nearly tuned out of the algorithm during these high-level races. There is still a slight bit of it, but it is very rare now. These bots are showing some life. 👍

We may be near a point where offline Qualifying could be implemented, and a more realistic racing format could actually work in gran turismo.

(with duffed tires of course)

I am reactivating this old thread because there is a new kind of AI behaviour out there with the recent expert seasonal event on Cote d'Azur. Maybe some have not realized that and want to try it before it disappears again.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...racing-car-challenge-côte-dazur.327334/unread

Just bump into any AI-car and the AI will get a "super boost". They are driving like crazy for a few laps. Very strange.

I am reactivating this old thread because there is a new kind of AI behaviour out there with the recent expert seasonal event on Cote d'Azur. Maybe some have not realized that and want to try it before it disappears again.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/a-spec-expert-level-non-racing-car-challenge-côte-dazur.327334/unread

Just bump into any AI-car and the AI will get a "super boost". They are driving like crazy for a few laps. Very strange.
I can agree with this.

Its been a while since I have touched GT6, but yesterday I fancied it.

Jumped into the above mentioned seasonal, and after 10 trys, the best I can manage is 4th, with very dirty AI.

I had an F430 appear to try and PIT maneuver me. He succeeded.

Very difficult seasonal, with AI that's more aggressive than any thing I remember.

Tried my old favourite, of setting up an arcade race, set to infinite laps, using a bone stock GT3 car at the Nordschleife, and I must say, it's taking me alot longer to cleanly get through the field. This may be due to my time away from GT, but I have been playing other sims, and I was on the pace in a couple of reasonably competitive online races, so I don't think it's my pace that has changed too much.

I'm noticing a big difference in AI since I last played properly.

It isn't new. It happened in the Midfield one as well, its just with the tight track you notice it a lot more.
Also I strongly suspect that Polyphony adjusts the boost level at different points in the races (as in for cote d azur, they put the boost on negative so you can't catch up, then for laps three four and half of five they put it on strong so you catch up and then they put it back on negative for the end of the last lap...)
And the fact that they appear to swallow about twenty standard drinks when you hit them and start driving like idiots (and a lot faster too)

I haven't seen the AI act completely reckless in quite a long time. I forget which events they were, but the AI was ruthless and people were very upset at the AI behavior. PD must have done something because within an update or hotfix, the AI was tamed back down. We all know that the AI drives like they're all on bath salts, methamphetamine & crack in this week's Expert Level Seasonal Event @ Monaco. I passed a Cizeta just before Piscine (the pool) and we might have bumped side by side. I honestly didn't ram him out of the way or anything like that. We all know that you can make up good time going through the Pool chicanes perfectly. For some reason the AI doesn't drive like the Knight Rider though there usually. Anyway, I powered around the final turns and sped down the start/finish straightaway to begin my 3rd lap. I had pulled away from the Cizeta and Corvette (I think) that were the last two cars that I passed. I was flying down that straight, on the left side of the track, preparing to time my braking and turn-in at Turn 1 (Sainte Devote) when all of a sudden a bullet shot past me and slammed straight into the wall at the turn. It was the Cizeta, on a suicide mission apparently, and he must have been doing 120mph straight into the wall. It truly scared me because there was nobody near me 5 seconds earlier. If the Cizeta were 1-2 seconds later it would have T-Bone me so hard...because I would have been in the process of turning in to Turn 1.

Now THAT is just horrible AI. I'm sure we've all got our horror stories from this event. I particularly enjoy the brake-check the AI will throw at you every now and then. Then, when you tap them from behind they turn into a scud missile and take off like they've gained 300 HP! And if you are lucky enough to ever catch them before the race ends, they remember the fact that you tapped them from behind and intentionally put you into a wall. :rolleyes:

It was the Cizeta, on a suicide mission apparently, and he must have been doing 120mph straight into the wall. It truly scared me because there was nobody near me 5 seconds earlier. If the Cizeta were 1-2 seconds later it would have T-Bone me so hard...because I would have been in the process of turning in to Turn 1.

Now THAT is just horrible AI. I'm sure we've all got our horror stories from this event. I particularly enjoy the brake-check the AI will throw at you every now and then. Then, when you tap them from behind they turn into a scud missile and take off like they've gained 300 HP! And if you are lucky enough to ever catch them before the race ends, they remember the fact that you tapped them from behind and intentionally put you into a wall. :rolleyes:

I haven't done the seasonal yet, but the way you describe the AI makes it sound like PD have taken a leaf out of Evolution Studio's book with the Motorstorm series.

Same crap as always. At some points, when you get very close to it, the AI tends to brake late when going into a corner, possibly as a way of maintaining its lead over you. And whever it does that, it goes off course or hits the barriers. It gets a whole lot worse if you just overtook it in a narrow bit of road before going into said corner: it will still brake late and it won't manuever around you, therefore hitting me from behind and taking me with it towards the grass. :grumpy:

Latest Posts

Back