The Pink Floyd Sound Discussion ThreadMusic 

• Thread starter Event
  • 101 comments
Anyway, great to be able to say you saw Roger Waters, whether it was a great gig or not, it certainly sounded like a great experience đź‘Ť
It's even better to be able to say I have seen 3/4 of the Pink Floyd line up in concert in just 1 year... All of them if you want to count the Live 8 gig they did. I wonder what I'll do if they ever reunite and get to see them since seeing them has been a major goal in my top 10 things to do before I die list

If it's a contest (which it isn't) I've seen Waters in '84 doing his Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking show with Eric Clapton as guest, Floyd at Wembley stadium in '88 and again in '89 (Docklands Arena). I also went to the Wall show in Berlin in '90 (well me and 300,000 others)! The last gig I went to was the Pulse show at Earls Court.
Missed out on seeing Gilmour and Waters this year. Maybe next time.

And as for Waters, I liked his solo work and regardless of his ego, DSotM would not have happened without him. Saying that I have Gilmours "On an Island" and that's a pretty strong album too.
Anyway, The Wall is inexorably linked to my adolescence and as such remains a central part of my musical and intellectual education (I was 9yrs old when it came out).
You have to remember at the time (circa '78) no one else in Pink Floyd were really interested in making an album. They were all stinking rich and living in tax exile. No one had any ideas (listen to Gilmours first solo album from '78 for an example; some good guitar play but..) - except Waters. People may not like what he does but they can't say he isn't very creative. A genius? Well that's just silly.

If it's a contest (which it isn't) I've seen Waters in '84 doing his Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking show with Eric Clapton as guest, Floyd at Wembley stadium in '88 and again in '89 (Docklands Arena). I also went to the Wall show in Berlin in '90 (well me and 300,000 others)! The last gig I went to was the Pulse show at Earls Court.
Missed out on seeing Gilmour and Waters this year. Maybe next time.
You lucky sob... :D

And as for Waters, I liked his solo work and regardless of his ego, DSotM would not have happened without him. Saying that I have Gilmours "On an Island" and that's a pretty strong album too.
Anyway, The Wall is inexorably linked to my adolescence and as such remains a central part of my musical and intellectual education (I was 9yrs old when it came out).
You have to remember at the time (circa '78) no one else in Pink Floyd were really interested in making an album. They were all stinking rich and living in tax exile. No one had any ideas (listen to Gilmours first solo album from '78 for an example; some good guitar play but..) - except Waters. People may not like what he does but they can't say he isn't very creative. A genius? Well that's just silly.
I'll agree that he had a big role in influencing the band, but it's still hard to get around his ego. I mean, to do an entire concert revolving around DSotM without the band that helped to create it is a bit pretentious.

The Wall as a whole has been linked to my life over the past two years or so since I really got into it. It's been something I go to when I need to relax, and whenever 'the system' starts crapping all over me at school and home, it just puts things in perspective.

I have to say that the best thing I've ever found about Pink Floyd is that they are one of the few bands that can sound better live than on a studio album. Learning to Fly from Pulse is in my opinion one of the best songs ever (that is under 7 minutes, at least), and it has a vibe of greatness that few bands can achieve in actual concerts or other live venues.
I even would go so far as to say that I prefer the Pulse version of the song over the original version from A Momentary Lapse of Reason. The same goes for the version of Us & Them from Delicate Sound of Thunder over the original version from DSoTM (as an aside, the Delicate Sound of Thunder version goes very well with the Brain Damage and Eclipse duo, oddly enough).

The Pulse DVD sounds amazing. I regularly play it very loud and I do like Learning to Fly from the show even though it's far from being my favourite song.
But sonically, for me, nothing beats listening to Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 via SACD.

I'll be keeping my eye out for the DVD of Gilmours tour which should be out early next year.

<--As you can probably tell from my avatar, I too am a fan of Pink Floyd.
So far, I have these albums:
Dark Side of the Moon (definitely one of those albums that no classic rock library should be without)
The Wall
Animals
Meddle
Wish You Were Here

WYWH is by far my favorite album, and the title song is my song by Pink Floyd

Does the Pulse DVD feature the same songs as the Pulse Dual CD from 1995?

They're similar but the track listing is not the same -

PULSE CD
Disc 1

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live)
2. Astronomy Domine (Live)
3. What Do You Want From Me (Live)
4. Learning To Fly (Live)
5. Keep Talking (Live)
6. Coming Back To Life (Live)
7. Hey You (Live)
8. A Great Day For Freedom (Live)
9. Sorrow (Live)
10. High Hopes (Live)
11. Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) (Live)

Disc 2

1. Speak To Me (Live)
2. Breathe (Live)
3. On The Run (Live)
4. Time (Live)
5. The Great Gig In The Sky (Live)
6. Money (Live)
7. Us And Them (Live)
8. Any Colour You Like (Live)
9. Brain Damage (Live)
10. Eclipse (Live)
11. Wish You Were Here (Live)
12. Comfortably Numb (Live)
13. Run Like Hell (Live)

PULSE DVD
Concert Part 1:

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
2. Learning To Fly
3. High Hopes
4. Take It Back
5. Coming Back To Life
6. Sorrow
7. Keep Talking
8. Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)
9. One of These Days

Concert Part 2:

1. Speak To Me
2. Breathe In The Air
3. On The Run
4. Time
5. The Great Gig In The Sky
6. Money
7. Us And Them
8. Brain Damage
9. Eclipse
10. Wish You Were Here
11. Comfortably Numb
12. Run Like Hell

As you can see the first half is a little different whilst the second half is the same. I'm glad they put One of these Days in the DVD as it's very, very good and very, very visual.
Also I don't think it's the same recording as the DVD film was recorded at Earls Court in London (I was there:sly: ) and the CD tracks were recorded in France (I think - not too sure).
Anyway the DVD sounds incredible, particularly when set to 640kbps which not all amps can decode, unfortunately.

Why did I join this forum? Because there are so many people on here with such diverse tastes in well, everything that there's always a thread to discuss interests.
I've never come across a forum quite like this one and certainly intend to stay :)

My 2p into this thread is that I waited years for P.U.L.S.E. to come out on DVD and when it did, I was not disappointed.
I was messing about with the DVD software on my laptop and managed to accidentally take this screen cap:

cap001.jpg

Which was nice.

It is đź‘Ť

The best I've ever heard Pink Floyd playing live was Pulse - Any Colour you like.

The keyboard and then the guitars coming, just beautiful, even better then on the album đź‘Ť The guitar solos (both) on Another Brick in the Wall was stunning as well đź‘Ť

If I'm not mistaken that's 'Sorrow' being played when you took that screenshot. The only other track I'd have liked to have seen was 'Terminal Frost', but I don't think they played that during their Pulse tour only the previous Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, which I also went to (Wembley Stadium).
Maybe they'll do a DVD of that video or the later Venice gig?

Edit: Actually that screenshot was from Comfortably Numb.

As you can see the first half is a little different whilst the second half is the same. I'm glad they put One of these Days in the DVD as it's very, very good and very, very visual.
Okay. Thanks. I was wondering whether or not I should buy the PULSE DVD, and it seems like I shouldn't bother since I already own the CD.

Why did I join this forum? Because there are so many people on here with such diverse tastes in well, everything that there's always a thread to discuss interests.
I've never come across a forum quite like this one and certainly intend to stay :)

My 2p into this thread is that I waited years for P.U.L.S.E. to come out on DVD and when it did, I was not disappointed.
I was messing about with the DVD software on my laptop and managed to accidentally take this screen cap:

cap001.jpg

Which was nice.

*Right click/save as đź‘Ť

I love Pink Floyd. In actual fact, it was listening to Dave Gilmour's solos that made me want to learn to play the guitar.

I even tried playing some of his stuff, and after about a month, I mastered "Shine on you Crazy Diamond". :sly:

My absolute favourites are:

"Shine on you Crazy Diamond"

"High Hopes"

"Sorrow"

"Dogs of War"

"Brick in the wall"

"Money"

"Coming Back To Life"

Okay. Thanks. I was wondering whether or not I should buy the PULSE DVD, and it seems like I shouldn't bother since I already own the CD.

If you can find the DVD cheap, consider getting it. It is in 5.1 and the sound is significantly different from the CD, and for a live DVD it is without doubt the best sounding live DVD I have ever heard.

I'm not a big Floyd guy, but can any of you guys recommend any song for me to listen to since I have 2 months of free music?

I'm not a big Floyd guy, but can any of you guys recommend any song for me to listen to since I have 2 months of free music?
Crikey. That depends on the kinda music you like. Still, their favourite songs tend to be -
"Shine on You Crazy Diamond" (Part One and Two) and "Wish You Were Here" - Wish You Were Here
"Time", "Money" and "Us and Them" - Dark Side of the Moon (though it's worth listening to the whole album)
"One of these Days" - Meddle
"Comfortably Numb" - The Wall
"Learning to Fly", "Sorrow" - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
"Keep Talking", "High Hopes" - The Divison Bell

Floyd's music isn't something you can easily dip in and out of. Try "Echoes", a "best of" compilation or the "Pulse" live CD/DVD.

Or try the last minutes of "Shine on you crazy diamond" part 1 song. That saxophone takes out anyone :drool:

The Dark Side Of The Moon is their most popular album so I really recommend it and if you want to hear their live qualities, look out for Pulse. The way David handles those guitars is đź‘Ť

I love Pink Floyd. Roger Waters is coming to Colombia for his tour.
The "Live At Pompeii" DVD is great also, but nothing like "P.U.L.S.E.":sly:
My favorites albums are:
The Wall, Animals, Wish You Were Here, The Dark Side Of The Moon, Obscured By Clouds. (Not in order...or maybe:) )

I've not seen that film footage of The Wall before! I've heard it on CD and I've seen clips. I wonder if they'll ever officially sell a DVD of the concert. It was filmed in its entirety I believe, originally with the idea of cutting parts into the movie. But that idea was dropped. Still I can only hope that it will get a release someday.

Yeah, but considering the time it took to release Pulse on DVD it will probably come out as a 100th birthday special. :lol:

Edit: By the way, I finally got the Pulse dvd last month. đź‘Ť

Unfortunatelly my dvd player is broken so I couldn't enjoy it in true 5.1 yet, only Dolby Pro Logic II through the PS2's RCA connection. :indiff:

You can't use the optical out on your PS2? Shame you can't hear it in 5,1. Luckily my amp lets me listen to Pulse in 640kbps and it does sound good. Anyway hope you get to hear it in 5.1 soon.

I have a cheap ass dvd player/home theater combo, it supports DTS and Dolby Surround but it doesn't have an optical input. And the dvd drive isn't reading any discs I put in it so the PS2 is my only option. Or the computer, which is also connected to the home theater.

Okay, too much off-topicness. Dave Gilmour rocks! :)

Sorry to hear that.
Well, Gilmours DVD should be coming out soon-ish. No exact date yet - link
Something to look forawrd to. Also hoping a Waters DVD will turn up as well. I could'nt see his show last year or this year and I have a feeling he might not be touring so much in the future.

Speaking of Gilmour dvd I also got the "David Gilmour In Concert" dvd last december. That's a must have in every Pink Floyd fan's collection too, very good. đź‘Ť

I was at Roger's concert last night here in Bogot&#225;, Colombia. My first Pink Floyd related concert. I can't find the words to explain it. Amazing, great concert, despite I was in a bad spot (like 150m away of the stage). Seeing the stars in the cloudless sky listening Shine On You Crazy Diamond is just unbelievable.
Thank you Roger!!!

Couple of things.
David Gilmours new double Live DVD has a release date - Sep 17th EU and 18th US. Brain Damage.com
Also Roger Waters will be part of the US leg of the 24-hour Live Earth concerts that are taking place in several countries on 7/7/07. Brain Damage.com

sar593, looks like you enjoyed the show!đź‘Ť

I went to see The Australian Pink Floyd last month (www.aussiefloyd.com) and I was absolutely blown away. It was almost a mini P.U.L.S.E., the light show was phenomenal and we didn't want them to leave (two encores and desperately trying for more)!

Has anyone else seen them? If you haven't, i'd recommend it for sure :)

^I've downloaded a couple of songs from their website, they're pretty accurate. I think they came to Brazil last year or in 2005 but I didn't know them back then.

Back