The Pink Floyd Sound Discussion ThreadMusic 

• Thread starter Event
  • 101 comments
If you're in the UK you should be watching BBC 4 right now.

I saw that. It was quite interesting. I'd never realised that Roger Waters was kind of an arse! It shows when at the end when all of them said they see the band as a second family, except Roger Waters.

I love Pink Floyd. It's the originality and creativity that gets me. They had a standard band line-up, but didn't go for standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus etc. songs. It was more spontanious. And there is some contrast. It isn't constant noise or constant silence. And because of it's rather laid-back nature, it's very easy on the ears.

Funnily enough, since that doc from a few years back Waters and Gilmour are certainly a lot closer now than they were then. Waters appeared with Gilmour at a benefit gig and Gilmour promised to play at one of Waters 'The Wall' shows in London, which he did.

Sorry of the bump.

Are the Experience and Immersion versions of the albums worth the extra cost?

Sorry of the bump.

Are the Experience and Immersion versions of the albums worth the extra cost?
If you have a blu-ray player I would say the Immersion versions are worth the price, at least for Dark Side and Wish You Were Here as you will have 5.1 audio from the blu-ray disc (alternatively get an SACD player and the SACD versions of Dark Side and WYWH). I intend to get them once I have the money as they're a little expensive. But I think it's worth it.

Yeah, I just wish I was around to witness them through their era :(

Instead of being bought up with all this modern crap :/

Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy because of my insistence that Pink Floyd aren't a Prog Rock band. Why?

Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy because of my insistence that Pink Floyd aren't a Prog Rock band. Why?

Almost everything they've done has been either Progressive or Psychedelic rock. There's no other way to define it.

Almost everything they've done has been either Progressive or Psychedelic rock. There's no other way to define it.

Psychedelic yes. Progressive not so much. Atom Heart Mother is very proggy, and Echoes is very self indulgent (IMHO, my mother completely disagrees with me on that), but over all I'd describe them as a Psychedelic Funk Blues Rock group who went through a proggy period between when Syd Barrett left and when the bells stop ringing on Time, with a surprisingly large Punk / New Wave influence in some of their later stuff.

I don't personally find them much more Proggy than Magazine or The Cure, who everyone says were Post Punk / New Wave groups. Pink Floyd were part of the whole Prog Rock movement, but when I think of Prog Rock I think of ELP playing like they've been possessed rather than Pink Floyd, a group of fairly talented musicans, who happen to be awesome songwriters playing songs, that happen to be awesome.

It's all opinion though, someone could come along and call The Sex Pistols prog rock, no one can say they're actually wrong, even though everyone else in the world will disagree with them. You can't prove anything (outside of mathematics anyway, and mathematics is just a construct created by humankind, and a surprisingly flexible one at that eg. 2+2=4, 2+2=10, 2+2=11. All correct, it just depends on the base of your counting system), especially something as vague as musical genre.

Back