The PS VITA Thread - New '2000' Model

• Thread starter Robin
  • 680 comments
It better have 3G and touch screen. :)

Apparently it might have 3G (might even be Kindle style 'free') and a oversized touch screen. According to Japanese sources.

giantbomb.com
Report Says PSP2 Will Launch With 3G Support, Big Touch Screen

Well, there won’t be much the PSP2 can’t do if the latest report from Japanese newspaper Nikkei is accurate. The paper is reporting (via Andriasang) that the handheld will ship with 3G support in addition to basic wireless LAN connection capabilities, allowing for, I assume, digital market browsing and online gaming on-the-go wherever a 3G provider has coverage. It’s also reporting that the PSP2 will ship with a “larger than normal” OLED touch screen and a processor which will handle high-resolution visuals.

In Japan, Nikkei believes 3G will be provided by NTT DoCoMo, a Japanese phone, video, and mail provider. Nikkei doesn’t discuss any North American specifics on a provider for this supposed 3G support. There’s a commenter in Andriasang’s translation article that supposes publishers will subsidize the support, but that seems a bit farfetched for North American markets.

....and some debug unit specs have been leaked on the net. If these are true its going to be 'tablet level' pricey!

According to the debug specs, the device has a 5-inch OLED multi-touch screen (12.7 cm) with a 960 x 544 resolution. Under the hood it uses a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU, the PowerVR SGX 543 MP4+ GPU, 512 MB of LPDDR2 RAM, and 16 GB of internal storage. There's also a slot for up to 32 GB of expanded storage, multi-touch display, Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth, an accelerometer, GPS, gyroscope, and a front and back camera. The overall dimensions are 17 x 7.4 x 2.3-cm.

Robin.

Last edited:
It's announced, and pretty much all the rumors were true. Definitely more interested in it than the 3DS.

5932691.jpg

This system look good.
A beast technology wise.

With a good game launch line up, and a attractive price tag this will sell like water in the desert.

At least for me far more interesting than a 3ds (obviously beeing a graphic whore)

can't wait to see more of it in the next weeks.

What do they mean holiday 2011? Is that June or October (like previous PS releases)?

This system look good.
A beast technology wise.

With a good game launch line up, and a attractive price tag this will sell like water in the desert.

At least for me far more interesting than a 3ds (obviously beeing a graphic whore)

can't wait to see more of it in the next weeks.

What do they mean holiday 2011? Is that June or October (like previous PS releases)?

Holiday is ususally used to refer to the christmas period.

Here's the full technical specification, direct from Sony:

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/8...ortable-hardware-specs-revealed#ixzz1CERMDqiU

CPU
ARM® Cortex-A9 core (4 core)

GPU
SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions
Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen (Touch screen)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear touch pad
Multi touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras
Front camera, Rear camera

Sound
Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
Sensors
Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Wi-Fi location service support

Keys / Switches
PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)

Wireless communications
Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/8...ortable-hardware-specs-revealed#ixzz1CEREQeGS

I am so glad that its going to retain a physical software medium (on SD cards just like the DS) rather than going all digital download style like the flop which was the PSP Go. This means you will still be able to get game boxes, good store deals and be able to resell. But its also the death of the UMD which has been a long time coming.

Looks really neat, kept the PSP style layout with lots of button to keep the hardcore crowd happy. I'm intrigued to see how the rear touch pads are used. It looks like its going to be a pricey piece of kit, especially as it plays PS3 level graphics.

217919-ngp-1_original.jpg

217919-ngp-2_original.jpg

217919-ngp-4_original.jpg

Robin.

Bad news for GT I suppose.
With the obligatory handheld version Sony will want punted out for it.

I'm sure 3DS will be somewhat successful, but maybe not as much as Nintendo hopes. Especially with a $250 price tag. It's not worth it to me. However, you know the PSP2 is going to cost around the same amount. But...it's a little bit more worth the money. I mean, it's essentially the love child between a DS, iPhone and PS3.

Is there someone, who can elaborate on the technical specs of this thing? Like compare it thoroughly with the ps3's processors and all, that would be pretty cool, I LOVE reading that stuff, I would really ppreciate, thanks in advance.

Bad news for GT I suppose.
With the obligatory handheld version Sony will want punted out for it.

That's what I also thought about.

Hopefully the "3g Mobile connectivity" is GSM/UTMS and not CDMA/EVDO. I can't see them going with the latter where the only region in the world that CDMA is prominent is the US.

Lets not Forget you can play any downloadable PSP game on it. The PS Suite will also open the doors to small games like Angry Birds and possible Minecraft clones....

Now if its $349.99 that will will be perfect, any more will be tough to swallow. However I just dropped 5hun on the galaxy tab(and accessories). I would rather have the NGP for that price.

By the way the GPU is rumored to have a theoretical fill rate of 4GigaPixles... the PS3 is rated 4.4... 4 core CPU, forget about it being cheap when the Motorola Xoom is less powerful and rumored to cost $800. D

I'm not sure they could get away with it costing more than $300. Whether that means Sony has to take a hit on it for each unit sold or not, and whether it is worth more than that, I'm having doubts they will sell that many when people were whining going crazy over the 3DS price.

I don't think it was psp fans that were whining about the 3DS's price... Looking at the hardware of both there is no way it will be $300. The higher cost is more justifiable based on specs and the even higher prices of less power devices like the Ipad and Galaxy tab and upcoming Xoom or non contract smart phones a $350 PSP sound like a bargain. If you paid attention to the new OS it looks like its running on some form of Android OS. It even has the home screen indicator buttons and the all too familiar info bar at the top.

I think there are enough early adopters to clean out the inventory much like they did with PS3.

I don't think it was psp fans that were whining about the 3DS's price... Looking at the hardware of both there is no way it will be $300. The higher cost is more justifiable based on specs and the even higher prices of less power devices like the Ipad and Galaxy tab and upcoming Xoom or non contract smart phones a $350 PSP sound like a bargain. If you paid attention to the new OS it looks like its running on some form of Android OS. It even has the home screen indicator buttons and the all too familiar info bar at the top.

I think there are enough early adopters to clean out the inventory much like they did with PS3.

Yeah, i'll definitely buy it as long as it isn't over $400.

Back