The PS VITA Thread - New '2000' Model

• Thread starter Robin
  • 680 comments
Fixed.

I would be quite tempted if it had the ability to make calls and that I could use it on the Sprint network. The last time I had a handheld console was the first DS for $149.99. My interest in the handheld market has gone really low since then. The only reason why I would be tempted in this is that if I could make phone calls with it. It would mean I'd have one less device to carry around and if I'm bored I can load a game on it. It's one of those things I say, "Cool but I don't need it", place the handheld down and move out of the store.

Didn't the PSP had skype?
If they have skype in the psp2 (the cooler name) and the 3G your problem is solved

Ditto that. PSP2 is a cooler name. But I really like their new pricing. Finally, Sony's doing it right. For its specs and capabilities, it is a better buy than an iThing. :D

There is definitely promise for the PSVITA. The price is quite right for something like the PSVITA. Hell, if it was about $200 USD, that would really be a steal to me with all that it has to offer.

Any time you think of a new console, you tend to consider the various gaming genres and how each will be utilized under Vita power. I don't really know how to make use of the PSVITA for other kinds of games. You have to think of stuff like fighting games, RPGs, racing/driving, and that sort of thing. You also have to consider the things like rubbing the back pads of it, using the touchscreen, and stuff like that which impact certain games and things like that. My PSP experience is VERY limited. I've only played... maybe Gran Turismo PSP at a kiosk. That's IT. So you all have much more experience than I do with the PSP.

Is it true that already purchased PSN content for the psp will work on the PSV?

The wifi will be enough for me.

Is it true that already purchased PSN content for the psp will work on the PSV?

The wifi will be enough for me.

Yes it is true, and all games will be enhanced. You can also map the face buttons to the right stick. This is a major seller for me as I would love to see my older games on a better screen with less ghosting. In fact we all get2 free games right off the bat from the welcome back program. I'm going WiFi as well.

The Vita sounds amazing.. But I can't help but think of the problem with the current PSP. It a nice peice of tech, but that's also it's biggest problem. It's really too nice to carry around in your pocket with your car keys, ya know?
So I've kept mine in a carrying case, which then is too large for my pockets anyway, So I end up having to throw it in my bag when I remember to even take it. So really it ends up not being very portable. (for me anyways)

I think I'd be more willing to carry it with me a little more often if it was designed with a clam shell cover to help protect that lovely and massive screen. Kind of like how the DS is designed. Throw it my pocket and not worry that much if it gets knicked or dinged. Unlike my black piano PSP that I treat like a collector's car lol.

So what currency is this 249 dollar price tag in? The Australian dollar and the US dollar are fairly even right now and I am assuming that 249 is in US dollars.

A quick look at the EBgames website shows an estimated RRP price of 348AUD for the Wifi model and 408 for the Wifi and 3G. If that $249 is a US price, what is this I dont even? I really hope this estimated price is well off because I would be better off just getting it from the US and saving myself 100 bucks as long as it isnt area locked.

I am really interested in this and will buy it despite the price but I think it is a bit ridiculous to be that much higher.

The price was announced at E3 which was was in Los Angeles and they just said "Dollars" not Canadian, Australian or otherwise. Do the math.

And yes, the ridiculous price increase happens in a lot of countries, including of course, my own. :(

A quick look at the EBgames website shows an estimated RRP price of 348AUD for the Wifi model and 408 for the Wifi and 3G. If that $249 is a US price, what is this I dont even?

No different to the games we buy, our retail is around double and this isn't limited to the games/electronic industry either.

This is true, I hadn't thought of that. The only reason I am bothered now is because our dollar was breaking even last time I checked (2 weeks ago). I dont know how they get away with charging so much, if the price stays like that I will just buy one from the US as I read earlier today that they are probably not going to be region locked.

Because it's not as simple as a currency conversion, you have to look at the bigger picture, the economy is different per country and everything is priced accordingly. Australia often comes off best, not only in terms of pricing, but also the fact is if you don't want to pay the asking price, importing is that much cheaper to do. In the US, they don't have that luxury.

As for pricing. The 3G model of the PSVita is the same price as the PS3 160gb unit in the US. So If the PS3 in Australia is 499.99rrp, then I would suspect that the PSVita 3G model would be the same price, with the Wifi model being around 429.99.

Last edited:
Everything is costly to anyone without the money or priorities. I would have paid $400 for it based on the cost of similar spec'd hardware but it may not have internal memory.

Its unknown if we will have to buy the memory cards or if it will have internal memory. If we are forced to buy them then Sony could be shooting them self in the foot if they over price the 8 and 16gb cards. Bringing the base price to $300+ if you want to download anything.

Based on the Game cards rewritable space, it may not have any internal memory for games and media. I sure wont be be saving my games on the cards, if its lost you are screwed.

As expected the PS Vita has taken a RAM cut between since it was the NGP. It now has only 256MB down from 512MB (probably to get the price point down). Sony are saying it won't matter that much regarding games on a handheld screen and I tend to agree but why do they keep putting so little RAM in their devices! This is 2011 and we are still doing 256!

Oh, and its coming 28th October according to a leaked Blockbuster flyer...

psvitaoctober281.jpg

Robin.

Their is no truth to how much ram it had to began with nor is their any proof that it was actually cut. I've read theories that it first had 1GB when the rumored PSP2 had twice the ram of the Xbox 360. Other rumors where is had 640MB that were cut down to 320mb. All rumors. Fact is there are no facts on the ram specs.

The rumored ram was 1GB. The Size, analogue sticks, OLED screen bigger than psp, no UMD and multitouch and a rear touch panel rumors all were true.

But 256 is still 10 times more than what's used in the PSP and 4 times more than the 3DS if thats true. But just looking at Little big planet Vita and Uncharted its hard to believe that it only has 256mb.

Edit: Now if only the game's listed where the Vita's launch list :)

Last edited:
I don't know why its the studios saying its been cut then, obviously they were expecting and maybe had been working with more RAM on the dev units until today. Sure Sony never officially confirmed the amount in public but why are dev's surprised then?

In any case I'm sure flash based storage / media for the games will help immensely meaning the system needs less RAM anyway. There's also space reserved on each stick that could be used as a cache.

From all the "Confirmed" reports, they all point to a response to a question to Dani Sánchez-Crespo, who never mention the ram being cut. Just that it doesn't affect them. He then went back to state they he was not aware of any cut. In response a rep from Sony said "don't believe everything you read on the internet".

Wow, this is a major bummer... the EU and US launch has been delayed till next year. Guess loads of people will be importing them from Japan then.

On the plus side its been revealed by Sony that it will fully work with the PS3 as a controller, with remote play and may even have Wii U like functionality built into future games.

This was expected when they hinted at it during E3 and when they revealed the launch as "starting Holiday 2011". But the 2012 rumors during E3 came true. So some time from January to March then. Going to pre order in a few weeks.

Sony isn't reducing the price for a while. It wasn't actually delayed since no detailed release was given. "Starting Holiday 2011" is pretty much what they confirmed as Japan only.

The 250 price tag is pretty dece for such a tech-packed piece of hardware (with a sweet screen to boot), so I'll probably definitely be getting this. At first I thought I would just go ahead and get the 3G model, but if you have to pay monthly for that, I'm saying F that because I hate monthly fees for anything. I'll just have to get a wifi router at home at least so that I can utilize the online functionality, but the games in themselves should be good.

Any word on whether you can upload files to it like you can on the PS3? I have one and I do that all the time, but can you do it with the Vita? Like if I wanted to upload my music to it? You better be able to do that, or that's kind of-almost a deal breaker for me.

I travel fairly often, and have to sit on a bus for 9 hours + 2 hours on a ferry at a time when I do, so a portable device would be really nice for those monthly trips. I can do without the 3G if I can upload my own files to whatever kind of storage medium it will have, but I wouldn't like to get the 3G model anyways, because I hate, hate all the new phones and I hate paying for service.

Omamder5
I travel fairly often, and have to sit on a bus for 9 hours + 2 hours on a ferry at a time when I do, so a portable device would be really nice for those monthly trips

That's quite optimistic for battery life.
I am expecting such a power hungry device to be at best equal to the 3DS poor battery life.

Any news on the price of software. Tablets are improving and there is news of even a Bluetooth control pad for them.

I think this could be one of the last dedicated handhelds TBH.

http://twitter.com/#!/yosp

PSVita, 640mb's of ram total. I'm guessing that the 128mb v-ram will be high speed ram. Which is plenty for a handheld. PSP only used 4mb. going to 128 is major leap. Finally the horse has spoken about the ram, now battery life, clock speed and game price range to go.

I'm a tablet user and not even that can replace my PSP. Kids and teens love handhelds, I dont see them converting toa multipurpose expensive touch controls only devices with a huge screen. As long as there are kids and teens(and many on the go adult gamers like me) there will always be a market for it. Just need to be careful with the hardware design(Nintendo.smh...)

Last edited:
That's quite optimistic for battery life.
I am expecting such a power hungry device to be at best equal to the 3DS poor battery life.

Well I guess I didn't expect 10 hours straight on the thing, but can it pull through maybe 4 to 5? How long does the 3DS last? The original DS lasted a fair bit, if I recall, but I have no idea on how well modern-er devices handle their battery supply.

If worst comes to worst, I can always buy an extra power supply and hook it in whenever I run out...they make those right? I'm pretty sure I've seen those things you charge up and then you can use to power your laptop/ipod/phone etc. And I always carry a bag or two with me when I travel, so lugging around the extra power wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure the Vita will be able to last at least 3 hours, won't it?

Back