The real racing simulator

I've always seen GT as a game for car lovers and not just a red-blooded racer. I like how it caters for every type of car lover and that's something I hope the next title(s) don't lose.

I really don't get this..? A topic like this would not exist if gt5 caters to every type of car lover. I am 27 years old and I've been crazy about cars all my life and I feel the gt games are lacking in some aspects. I could go on about all the things I feel missing from gt, but this thread is about the racing aspect.

GT6 could improve in so many ways without taking out what is already there.

This is something I don't want to see. I don't want a "career mode" in GT like in F1 2012 or FIFA or whatever. I prefer the freedom and expansiveness of the GT1-GT4 style "Simulation Mode".

Here's the thing. The "career mode" could be designed as an option within the "simulation mode".

Racers in real life can race in multiple series. I watch a lot of F1, so I hear all the time about the test drivers and how they race in GP2, or hop over to NASCAR truck racing, or do LeMans that year if it fits their schedule, etc. I think Alex Wurz did this in 2008, raced in both F1 and LeMans.

My point: in simulation mode, if those offers pop up and you *want* to take advantage of them, then you could. This is why, to me, GT desperately needs a calendar system. You could race in the Super GT series, and if there's enough game time between races (in real life there's typically 1-3 weeks between races), then you're free to run in Like the wind, or Grand Valley 300k, Clubman Cup, or any other common A-spec single race we're all familiar with. And if you want to do a series that conflicts with one you're already in, then go ahead and cancel the other series. This way you maintain the freedom and expansiveness you're used to, but you get the structure of career mode if you want it.

That's a good idea, lazywolfe, which has been implemented in at least one other racing game, which may be why PD doesn't adopt it.

researchALLwars
- Possibly only getting one chance to do a specific challenge. No restarts.

I sincerely hope not. That would just be cheap and aggravating.

Hey that's not from me- it was quoted by Dessy182 below the Kaz 'Human Drama' article on the GTP news page. I would not be a fan of that, for sure.

But the other things he says are certainly worth taking note of- due to him being a GTAcademy finalist. Good stuff.

You won't know what you are missing until you try a sim on the PC. It is night and day. GT5 is not even close.

Logic. One of the biggest problem with Poliphony Digital.

We already have a good amount of race cars (Standard and Premium) that could race toghether. Why mixing cars from different ages? Cars from the 60's shouldn't be able to race against modern cars.

And the most dramatic thing is this issue could have been adreesed on Day One. Do you remember when it was discovered a Secret Menu in GT5 Prologue? There's one for GT5 as well. With this Secret Menu you can finally select AI cars you want. Even if this feature is available only for premium cars, now racing in GT arcade mode makes much more sense. The "real racing" is made by choosing a balanced pack, similar performance specs. No longer 1960' Jaguar LM against SuperGT's, no rabbits that ruins the "racing the pack" fun.

What about weird decisions? Why on earth a Zonda R should be allowed to race only against tuned cars? What if I want it to race against a Corvette ZR1 RM, A Citroen GT Race Car, Ford GT and some SuperGT's? Now I can do that. So, let us decide what to do.

The option to select AI cars should be mandatory on Day One without the need of a bloody Secret Menu.

Another feature I suggest: Option to create CLASSES and assign cars to a specific class or more than one. Let the people organize their races. PD don't need new technology for this. It was already possible 10 years ago with F1 Challange by ISI. Just copy paste the method.

Basically PD already have that: Favourites.
Enhance it, let us create more Favourites folders, let us rename them and race them. That's all you need to do.

You won't know what you are missing until you try a sim on the PC. It is night and day. GT5 is not even close.

Some people prefer night over day though ;).

But seriously, I have tried some PC sims with that level of damage. Using iRacing as an example since I see that in your sig, I too had reached a Class C license last time my subscription was active and spent an amount of time in the Mazda and Pontiac series'. While I do generally like that level of damage it really was a giant pain in the trunk when some foolish driver would do something foolish and effectively end my, and / or others, race (extended pitstop and usually finishing last on the track not withstanding).

Full mechanical and visual damage has it's place in the gaming world and while I would definitely enjoy a much better system in the GT Franchise (hidden mechanical failures, ripping a wheel off, door mirrors breaking off during close racing, etc) I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if remains largely the same as it is currently in GT5, I can still enjoy the game even with the limited damage modelling.

If the engine failures are a direct result of something the player did, I'm fine with this. The games need to depict more performance damage in general. In Forza, for example, when I was first starting to drive manual I damaged my trannies several times. I'd take a classic muscle car around Nordschleife, forgetting to upgrade their trannies and as a result spent too much time at the red line and tore up my tranny.

At first I thought you wanted random mechanical failures like in real-world F1, but I oppose that because it would be a jerk move. It sucks in real life but there's nothing you can do about it except curse God, but developers don't have to render a giant middle finger for the player like that. The player should face challenges he can overcome, but he can't do anything about a random mechanical failure. That would be PD deciding to randomly ruin someone's race just for the sake of being pricks.

I think it would still be fine to do. Let's put it like this, there should be a projected coefficient depending on decade or generation of car that factors in mechanical failures. Thus a Audi R18 is less likely to break down than say a car from the 60s, 70s, or 80s. However, it should be only factored in for online racing series and thus becomes a realistic aspect. Also drivers and groups would be aware of it and learn to watch out for those issues. Thus everyone wins because it is optional and quite limited. And no one is being a "prick" it is a reality of life, not sure why it isn't easy to see...

If PD really acknowledged the problem they have with tyre simulation they would be contacting one of the Japanese tyre manufacturers and work in partnership with them. That doesn't automatically give them a perfect tyre model of course but it would at least give them a ton of real world data so racing soft levels of grip can be decreased.

You mean something like this?

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/113702/yokohama_partners_on_latest_gran_turismo_offering.aspx

Yokohama Partners on Latest Gran Turismo Offering

May 17, 2013

Yokohama Rubber Co. recently became the first tire manufacturer to serve as official technical partner to the popular "Gran Turismo" series of motor racing video games.

Many tiremakers are involved in motorsport activities, and a racetrack presence can indeed do wonders for a brand’s public profile. Yokohama Rubber Co. has announced its participation in a technical partnership with a difference – it recently became the first tire manufacturer to serve as official technical partner to the popular “Gran Turismo” series of motor racing video games.

Yokohama lent its expertise to the latest version, Gran Turismo 6.

Realism is a key feature of the Gran Turismo series, and in order to develop the game’s new physics engine, which reproduces car behavior, Yokohama provided tire data for the simulation. Through its participation, Yokohama says it “hopes to boost its global recognition across generations of automotive enthusiasts.”

Last edited:
Logic... Cars from the 60's shouldn't be able to race against modern cars.

Irony.

Though I guess maybe you meant not by default. Making it so that 60's cars can't race 90's cars sound exactly like the kind of thing you're complaining about. Why on Earth would such a pointless limitation be saddled on us?

Now when you go racing online or in arcade and set up a race you should be able to include or exclude cars in any manner you want. This feature is long overdue in GT, I agree.

You mean something like this?

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/113702/yokohama_partners_on_latest_gran_turismo_offering.aspx

Yokohama Partners on Latest Gran Turismo Offering

May 17, 2013

Yokohama Rubber Co. recently became the first tire manufacturer to serve as official technical partner to the popular "Gran Turismo" series of motor racing video games.

Many tiremakers are involved in motorsport activities, and a racetrack presence can indeed do wonders for a brand’s public profile. Yokohama Rubber Co. has announced its participation in a technical partnership with a difference – it recently became the first tire manufacturer to serve as official technical partner to the popular “Gran Turismo” series of motor racing video games.

Yokohama lent its expertise to the latest version, Gran Turismo 6.

Realism is a key feature of the Gran Turismo series, and in order to develop the game’s new physics engine, which reproduces car behavior, Yokohama provided tire data for the simulation. Through its participation, Yokohama says it “hopes to boost its global recognition across generations of automotive enthusiasts.”

I posted that last November FYI but yes, I was happy to read that about GT6.

If PD really acknowledged the problem they have with tyre simulation they would be contacting one of the Japanese tyre manufacturers and work in partnership with them. That doesn't automatically give them a perfect tyre model of course but it would at least give them a ton of real world data so racing soft levels of grip can be decreased.

You have no idea how correct you were on that one. :lol:

Though I guess maybe you meant not by default.

Now when you go racing online or in arcade and set up a race you should be able to include or exclude cars in any manner you want. This feature is long overdue in GT, I agree.
Yes I mean NOT BY DEFAULT.

I posted that last November FYI but yes, I was happy to read that about GT6.

I didn't claim to be the first to post it. I've seen in mentioned many times. So if you want to claim to be the first, have at it. :lol:

I was just answering simonk who seemed to be unaware of it.

I don't want a "career mode" in GT like in F1 2012 or FIFA or whatever. I prefer the freedom and expansiveness of the GT1-GT4 style "Simulation Mode". It's a better way to allow us to make use of the massive content in the game. Each race is an event for in itself and championship events even more so, but at the end of each, I want to choose what to do next and when.
I want both of those in future Gran Turismos, which is why I propose that there be separate modes of play for each:
  • Arcade Mode
  • GT Mode
  • Season Mode
  • Career Mode
That way, if you want to just play Gran Turismo old school, you can completely ignore Season and Career Modes. Likewise, if you want to experience what it's like to be involved in the ladder of GT Academy to full blown professional racing in a league, you can live in that mode for as many virtual years as you want.

I want both of those in future Gran Turismos, which is why I propose that there be separate modes of play for each:
  • Arcade Mode
  • GT Mode
  • Season Mode
  • Career Mode
  • Virtual GT Academy Mode
That way, if you want to just play Gran Turismo old school, you can completely ignore Season and Career Modes. Likewise, if you want to experience what it's like to be involved in the ladder of GT Academy to full blown professional racing in a league, you can live in that mode for as many virtual years as you want.

You forgot one that would be pretty sweet. Fixed it for you 👍

I have a big post on my GT6 proposal that I haven't gone into recently, but I think you'd like it. Since we're on the subject, I might go ahead and paste in my concept.

Career Mode is a new mode for Gran Turismo. This mode tracks a more realistic path than GT Mode, from the beginning steps of a race car driver to the professional leagues of your choice, rather like Nissan's GT Academy. The point here isn't to grind races for prize money and cars, but to live out the dream of a Lucas Ordonez by migrating up the foodchain of low to pro level racing leagues. You'll have one car per league, perhaps two, but this is serious racing now, for points, cash, sponsors, and the right to enter the racing league of your choice.

Each level is a "racing season," each one longer and more challenging, in which you try to win the Championship. If you chose, rather than progress, you may stay within your current level and try to better your performance. Moving to the higher levels puts you in more powerful race cars, until you win the rights to enter the pro racing league of your choosing.

I have a big post on my GT6 proposal that I haven't gone into recently, but I think you'd like it. Since we're on the subject, I might go ahead and paste in my concept.

Career Mode is a new mode for Gran Turismo. This mode tracks a more realistic path than GT Mode, from the beginning steps of a race car driver to the professional leagues of your choice, rather like Nissan's GT Academy. The point here isn't to grind races for prize money and cars, but to live out the dream of a Lucas Ordonez by migrating up the foodchain of low to pro level racing leagues. You'll have one car per league, perhaps two, but this is serious racing now, for points, cash, sponsors, and the right to enter the racing league of your choice.

Each level is a "racing season," each one longer and more challenging, in which you try to win the Championship. If you chose, rather than progress, you may stay within your current level and try to better your performance. Moving to the higher levels puts you in more powerful race cars, until you win the rights to enter the pro racing league of your choosing.

This is the one thing that "the real driving simulator" is lacking.

In the end, a simulator lacks drama. It lacks intrigue.

GT5 has pretty cars (and some not so pretty). GT5 has pretty tracks. It has pretty good physics. But it has no soul.

Cars from the 60's shouldn't be able to race against modern cars.

Why would you think that? I've driven in races involving cars from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's. The Camaro-Mustang Challenge races have rules written to allow cars from the 80's through the present day, though I don't know if any 1980's cars actually race there.

Point is, mixing of cars decades apart in real, competitive races is a real thing and of potential value to include in GT.

Tenacious D

See project cars!

I didn't claim to be the first to post it. I've seen in mentioned many times. So if you want to claim to be the first, have at it. :lol:

I was just answering simonk who seemed to be unaware of it.

I am Simonk, had a name change. What I was trying to say was I posted that suggestion months ago, you seemed to be posting the news as if I was unaware, well I would have been unaware back then. :P

Why would you think that? I've driven in races involving cars from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's. The Camaro-Mustang Challenge races have rules written to allow cars from the 80's through the present day, though I don't know if any 1980's cars actually race there.

Point is, mixing of cars decades apart in real, competitive races is a real thing and of potential value to include in GT.
Again. Why people just don't read the forum before posting? :grumpy:
HKS racer: Cars from the 60's shouldn't be able to race against modern cars.

Exorcet: Though I guess maybe you meant not by default.

HKS racer: Yes I mean NOT BY DEFAULT.
What I'm talking about is the random car selection in ARCADE mode. Have you ever tried that? Enter with a SuperGT you'll race against random race cars from every era. It shouldn't be like that BY DEFAULT. There are no Super GT cars racing against LeMans Classics from the 60's in real life and even if there are, they better stick to common sense trying to simulate the sport BY DEFAULT.

The point is:
PD better create some common sense racing classes or they better let the user decide what cars assigning to AI.

See project cars!
I keep forgetting about P CARS. It's like they read my posts over the past eight years, because the concept is very similar. The one crucial difference is that Kazunori worked with Nissan to create GT Academy, and the racing world accommodated it, so Kaz has almost no excuse to keep him from doing this in GT6 in some form or fashion.

I thought it was always called. "Driving" simulator, and thats why we have the compromises in the game.

Read first page before replying.

I did read It and agree with you 100%. I was just stating that the name started as Gran Turismo-The Real DRIVING simulator, and maybe thats why they have kept the game the way it is and not listened to a lot of fans over the years.

Back