GT6 Sales Discussion

Doesn't matter which excuse one wants to use; let's face it the game is the worst in the series so far and it probably will never top 3-4 million copies (hence PD's silence about the numbers).

Only logical if you think about it, the series is declining and it will need a total revamp if it ever wants to return to it's former glory (sales numbers included).

I think GT6 is better than 5 apart from the single player events and is still having stuff added, yes GT7 needs to be special and I really think it will be, Polyphony have always shown something spectacular when moving to a next gen platform, don't see any reason why that tradition should end. GT5 had huge sales but for good reason, PS3 was still selling well so you had the xmas bundles, GT5 was well marketed, GT5 prologue sold huge sales due to the fact that, at the time,it was way ahead of everything else, that gave GT5 even more sales inertia. Its a ' glass is half full or glass is half empty ' thing if you want to believe that the sales of GT6 to those of 5 means the franchise is in decline then fine, have a coke and a smile but I think that is simply not true, taking everything into consideration 2.5 million sales for a game that was not really marketed and kind of pushed out the back door is pretty damn good if you ask me.

HBK
My best bet is that GT6 is half assed because PD is a small team (with regard to the game's scope) with no actual focus.

Simple as that.

Edit : I find it very unlikely that they were working on the PS4 version of the game (be it GT6 HD or GT7) for a long time before GT6's release. They just don't have the workforce.

Edit 2 : To be clear, there are a crapton of "improvements" (well, changes anyway) in GT6 with regard to GT5. There is no doubt PD worked hard to produced the game. They just had absolutely no focus (or so it seems by looking at the end result) and basically tried to redo the same game they ever did while taking into account some of the remarks that were made about the fifth iteration of their franchise (there are actually quite a few improvements that were undoubtedly driven by user feedback).

Lot of assumptions there, assumption is the mother of all ****ups don't you know. I don't think GT6 is ' half assed ' at all and I really doubt PD's main focus on GT6 was based on user feedback on a game that sold 10 million copies ? PD has no focus? watch the documentary KAZ, they seem pretty focused to me.

GT5 had some challenging events, GT6 didn't as far as I can remember. GT6 I think is game that has best potential and operating system of any GT game though but worst game of the series so far in offering challenges to the player.

Agreed, the single player campaign should have been better, there is a lack of events and with all the cars available there should have been a prize car for every event like in past GT's. GT4 should be a template and starting point when moving forward for a future GT game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lot of assumptions there, assumption is the mother of all ****ups don't you know. I don't think GT6 is ' half assed ' at all and I really doubt PD's main focus on GT6 was based on user feedback on a game that sold 10 million copies ? PD has no focus? watch the documentary KAZ, they seem pretty focused to me.

Ho yes... the praising documentary released when everyone in the community was waiting for news about the game, missing features, bug unfixed, etc...

The documentary produced by Sony....

yeah right: sure we can trust it to deliver absolute truth ! Big companys don't do PR do they ? 👎

I think GT6 is better than 5 apart from the single player events....

You should have just stopped right there. Another way you could write that is, "I think GT6 is better than 5 apart from the [95% of the game]..."

GT6 is a single player game so if 6 is better than 5 apart from the single player game, that means it's a worse game. The AI are horrible, therefore the offline racing portion of the game is horrible. Online is a crapshoot with no driver rating system, no flags, no way to search by tire choice, mostly a random search of rooms. What's left? TT's and hotlapping. So if you aren't really, really into TT's and hotlapping..then what?

I feel no great need to respond any further.

Thank christ for that !

Now we are back on topic, it doesnt matter what the numbers are, the fact is that unless PD lift their game they will get a real shock as other games come online where they will lose market share "if" the other titles provide what PD cant.

A lot of the league guys have had a gut-full.......fact.

Doesn't matter which excuse one wants to use; let's face it the game is the worst in the series so far and it probably will never top 3-4 million copies (hence PD's silence about the numbers).

Only logical if you think about it, the series is declining and it will need a total revamp if it ever wants to return to it's former glory (sales numbers included).

Even with vgcharts guess it is already 2.34
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/72181/gran-turismo-6/

My guess is 5million by this year and they will eventually post it on their site. That is for sure
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

My guess is 5million by this year and they will eventually post it on their site. That is for sure
So make that 3 with the inclusion of digital sales. Seeing games sell the most retail copies in the first weeks after launch (when the hype train just passed, and second hand copies aren't still available dirt cheap), i'm thinking GT6 will have a hard time ever reaching 4 million (also taking into account that focus will shift to PS4 more and more).

i'm thinking GT6 will have a hard time ever reaching 4 million (also taking into account that focus will shift to PS4 more and more).

What it has in it's favour is the GT7 is most definitely a long way off. The new FIA deal and spring 2015 plan for GT6 means that a full of GT7 likely won't see the light of day until Christmas 2016.

It took 5 years from the launch of PS3 until the release of GT5. There is also little in the way of real competition on the platform. Project Cars and DriveClub look pretty in pics but no so much in real life.

Last edited:
What it has in it's favour is the GT7 is most definitely a long way off. The new FIA deal and spring 2015 plan for GT6 means that a full of GT7 likely won't see the light of day until Christmas 2016.
"PCARS coming November 2014" ;)
And i'm sure they will throw in a prologue for GT in the meantime also.

The best thing they could do for it now is push out a load of features, call it Spec II and relaunch with a new disc.

That might kindle sales. Otherwise GT6 is on a slow train to a swampy demise.

"PCARS coming November 2014" ;)
And i'm sure they will throw in a prologue for GT in the meantime also.

Sure, but a GT7 Prologue isn't going to crush GT6 if the last prologue is any indication of what we might see. Especially if there are sanctioned online events. I know "the faithful" on this forum love to play offline, but GT5's online numbers were very good and good online play creates a very long tail for sales.

Slightly Mad is doing Project Cars. The car movement looks awful and my racer friends who tried it at E3 were left disappointed. Given their track record (NFS Shift 1 and Shift 2), I'm not expecting the gameplay to improve.

The best thing they could do for it now is push out a load of features, call it Spec II and relaunch with a new disc.

That might kindle sales. Otherwise GT6 is on a slow train to a swampy demise.

"Swampy Demise" is Doubtful. It might not get to 4 million or 5 million, but it will still pick up a few hundred thousand a year between Christmas holidays. A new disc for Christmas 2014 and 2015 will help.

It took 5 years from the launch of PS3 until the release of GT5. There is also little in the way of real competition on the platform. Project Cars and DriveClub look pretty in pics but no so much in real life.

Just no. Those game look absolutly stunning... Can't you be a GT Fan AND aknowledge that there might be other good and beautiful games out there?

Those game look absolutly stunning

LOOK being the key word. When I saw the teaser video for Pcars I was stoked. When I heard who was developing it, I started to worry. When I heard the response back from E3...it's hopeless.

It LOOKS amazing in the same way that wax food LOOKS tasty.

You should have just stopped right there. Another way you could write that is, "I think GT6 is better than 5 apart from the [95% of the game]..."

GT6 is a single player game so if 6 is better than 5 apart from the single player game, that means it's a worse game. The AI are horrible, therefore the offline racing portion of the game is horrible. Online is a crapshoot with no driver rating system, no flags, no way to search by tire choice, mostly a random search of rooms. What's left? TT's and hotlapping. So if you aren't really, really into TT's and hotlapping..then what?
This is exactly where I sit with GT6. I WANT to play it a lot more because its a beautiful looking game. I WANT to play it more because aspects of certain series are there (GT3). But there isn'y enough offline content to keep me into it, and arcade is crap. Online is a gamble!

It is almost inevitable to happen at some point.

GT5: Prologue had 2 disc releases: initial disc release and and Spec III disc release (only in Japan).

GT5 had 2 official disc releases as well: initial disc release and different post-releases (named "GT5XL" for the US and "GT5 Academy Edition" for Asia/PAL).

It is very expected to have GT6 re-released with all DLC content and all updated features. Personally, I expect it as soon as Course Maker/B-Spec are introduced (2 missing features from the Feature Update List, considering how both Community and Quick Race fucntionalities are on the V1.0 disc, but they are not enabled by the server).

This is exactly where I sit with GT6. I WANT to play it a lot more because its a beautiful looking game. I WANT to play it more because aspects of certain series are there (GT3). But there isn'y enough offline content to keep me into it, and arcade is crap. Online is a gamble!

Exactly 👍 which is why I just started a new career in F1 2012 this week and after that I will get F1 2013 and run a career and after that...maybe they will have the features fleshed out in Gt6 and there will be something to do .

There's some feedback about Pcars (PS4)

Online is a gamble!

I never understood these kind of comments. How is online a gamble? Yes, you will find the occasional dude who makes your race awful, but it's far less common than threads will have you believe. Just start adding friends from this forum...heck, add me. Then you just enter rooms with those friends and it will tend to be a great experience.

@Voodoovaj

Me: "Wowo! That girl looks beutiful !"
You: "She may look beautiful...but she is not..."
Me: "Well.... I mean...she looks beautiful for sure.... so how could she not be beautiful..."
You: "Beautiful is what is she looks... but beautiful she ain't"
Me: "Well...beauty is how she looks like... other than what she looks like is... something else..."
You: "Some things might look beautiful young padawan.... but they are not. Trust not your eyes"
Me: "Well... ok then."

:cheers:

So make that 3 with the inclusion of digital sales. Seeing games sell the most retail copies in the first weeks after launch (when the hype train just passed, and second hand copies aren't still available dirt cheap), i'm thinking GT6 will have a hard time ever reaching 4 million (also taking into account that focus will shift to PS4 more and more).
You should take a look at the GT5 sales progression, or in fact to any other old GT to see how it have reached its totals.

GT5:

12/2010 - 5.5 million
2/2011 - 6.37 million
12/2011 - 7.3 million
9/2012 - 9 million
3/2013 - 10.66 million

The long legs in the GT titles are not a novelty.

Gran Turismo was number 40 on VGChartz for the last week, making it less than 17, 700 sales. http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41805/Global/

Assuming 15k units a week it'll take 3.5 years to reach 5 million. How exactly will they do this by December? They'd have to jump to 55k units a week. Ain't gonna happen bud.

LOOK being the key word. When I saw the teaser video for Pcars I was stoked. When I heard who was developing it, I started to worry. When I heard the response back from E3...it's hopeless.

It LOOKS amazing in the same way that wax food LOOKS tasty.
Yes, because all the pre-release GT6 videos contained stellar driving and everything looked wonderful. Tell me how often you see any good quality driving from any show? Darin from ISR tried it at E3 and he said it was awful and completely different than driving it on his own rig in the comfort of his own home. If we were to judge any driving games by what happens at E3 or any similar event, no one would ever buy one.

Use your head man.

You should take a look at the GT5 sales progression, or in fact to any other old GT to see how it have reached its totals.

GT5:

12/2010 - 5.5 million
2/2011 - 6.37 million
12/2011 - 7.3 million
9/2012 - 9 million
3/2013 - 10.66 million

Figure out the progression in terms of percentages and then apply them to what we estimate current sales to be. It projects out to less than 4 million in 3 years if my math in my head is correct. I'm gonna say far less than that though because when racing/driving games start dropping on the PS4, you're going to see a market shift away from GT6/PS3 and into PCars, DriveClub and whatever else comes along. Not everyone of course, but enough that it'll make an impact.

GT5:

12/2010 - 5.5 million
2/2011 - 6.37 million
12/2011 - 7.3 million
9/2012 - 9 million
3/2013 - 10.66 million

Yes, half the sales in the first two weeks. It may have legs but like most game the majority of sales are in the first month or so. If GT6 did 2 million in the first month (Generous) it's highly unlikely to do 8 million in the next three years.

Yes, half the sales in the first two weeks. It may have legs but like most game the majority of sales are in the first month or so. If GT6 did 2 million in the first month (Generous) it's highly unlikely to do 8 million in the next three years.
No one said that GT6 will reach the GT5 totals. That is not going to happen, but would be a big mistake to pretend that the previous long legs progression in all GT games would not apply in GT6. Still no one known how many copies were issued worldwide in the game launch, and that is the minimal you need to predict something accurate for long time sales.

Would be funny to compare sales once PD update their list.

Take into account that in the first months, GT is sold 69$... but GT6 dropped price very fast (another sign that sales were alarmingly low) ... so even if it has long legs, this time it will generate way less money...

Unless I am wrong and GT5 dropped price as fast as GT6 -which I am pretty sure it did not- then not only will GT6 sell way less, but also way cheaper...

So let's say it ends up selling 3 times less... that would mean it will generate way less than a third of what GT5 did.

If that was the case, the development time of GT6 was almost half of the GT5 and over the stable platform that was researched and developed along the previos titles, so the cost to recover it will be much lesser than in GT5, that means less sales needed to achieve to make the title a comercial success. Is not that they would need it at this point or that would affect a future PS4 title. They are well covered in that regard by past sales and by Sony itself.

All the factors before a game launch are studied extensively, with many case scenarios, and matching sales are not always the first priority on a big first party exclusive game. Probably brand publicity alone, GT gives better results to Sony that an expensive worldwide campaign.

If that was the case, the development time of GT6 was almost half of the GT5 and over the stable platform that was researched and developed along the previos titles, so the cost to recover it will be much lesser than in GT5, that means less sales needed to achieve to make the title a comercial success. Is not that they would need it at this point or that would affect a future PS4 title. They are well covered in that regard by past sales and by Sony itself.

All the factors before a game launch are studied extensively, with many case scenarios, and matching sales are not always the first priority on a big first party exclusive game. Probably brand publicity alone, GT gives better results to Sony that an expensive worldwide campaign.

True...even at 2.5 milllions sales, PD still earns money (especially reusing 80% of the assets from GT5...that reused 80% of its asstes from GT4...arf arf arf)...

But for a serie of that scale, earning money is not enough: you need to expand...
Now I know Sony didn't expect to sell more GT6 than GT5.... but, even if profitable, the rumored numbers are VERY alarming.

I will not make a judgment until see at least some official numbers, being wiser to wait at least until GT7 to see at that point how much sales reached GT6 given its final features, and probably Spec 2 sale discs. But given the situation just 5-6M sales can be considered good for this title.

Now, if GT7 on a PS4 don't reach 9-10M at the end of its lifetime, we can engage the alarms.

Back