The Tailgate-er Deterence Thread

• Thread starter hawkeye122
  • 68 comments
United States
California
gdwest1
So, Im in my Mums pickup, doing the speed limit on the freeway, in the left lane, passing people.

A rather large pickup comes to within about 3 feet of my rear bumper.

What to do? He is far too close to try to slow down on. There are too many cars in the right lane to merge. Hmmm.

So, I *Pretended* to increase my speed (Because saying I actually did would violate the AUP). He merely stayed right on me.

Hmmm.

Thinking....

About that time, a bug-like creature rammed itself into my windscreen. Well, lets use the washers.

After I fired up the spray-nozzles, I noticed that the guy behind me backed off somewhat. It turns out that a slight mist must have come off of the window, and he let up about 2 feet. Interesting.

After spraying the bug, he got right up on me again. I opened fire a second time, this time hoping to get him off my back for sure. But it didn't work a second time, I believe because of the aerodynamics in play with regards to the bed of the pickup.

Few days later, similar story. This time, in my Mum's Camry. Open fire, and sure enough, a decent amount of water had impacted the guys window. He backed off, and stayed backed off.

So my question is this: Is that Illegal? And would it be illegal to mount a rear-firing Window-washer to my rear bumper?

Any more safe ways of dealing with people who follow too close?

Last edited:
hawkeye122
So, Im in my Mums pickup, doing the speed limit on the freeway, in the left lane, passing people.

A rather large pickup comes to within about 3 feet of my rear bumper.

What to do? He is far too close to try to slow down on. There are too many cars in the right lane to merge. Hmmm.

So, I *Pretended* to increase my speed (Because saying I actually did would violate the AUP). He merely stayed right on me.

Hmmm.

Thinking....

About that time, a bug-like creature rammed itself into my windscreen. Well, lets use the washers.

After I fired up the spray-nozzles, I noticed that the guy behind me backed off somewhat. It turns out that a slight mist must have come off of the window, and he let up about 2 feet. Interesting.

After spraying the bug, he got right up on me again. I opened fire a second time, this time hoping to get him off my back for sure. But it didn't work a second time, I believe because of the aerodynamics in play with regards to the bed of the pickup.

Few days later, similar story. This time, in my Mum's Camry. Open fire, and sure enough, a decent amount of water had impacted the guys window. He backed off, and stayed backed off.

So my question is this: Is that Illegal? And would it be illegal to mount a rear-firing Window-washer to my rear bumper?

Any more safe ways of dealing with people who follow too close?

Hahahahahahahaha I one bettered you, I had a Corolla up my backside awhile ago down this two lane road, and it was after a rain storm, this road I knew always has a giant puddle on the right, in the direction I was travelling down after the rainstorm, after speeding up didn't lose her I lined up the right side tires to hit the puddle in the deepest part I could without going off the road at 45 mph, with her directly behind me, when the car hit the puddle it unleashed an absolutely epic wall of water from that side of the car that showered the Toyota to the point where she had to use her windshield wipers to restore proper vision, she stayed the hell back after that one :sly: and I of course popped the right turn at the light to lose her (it was no turn on red and she was honking with a window open trying to get my attention.. I pulled as far up as i could and blasted the music to drown her out til the light changed and I got away). One of my friends was with me at the time and he was like "what are you DOIIINNNNGGGGG?" as i hit the puddle, then I said "clearing that annoying car from my backside" then he made the connection once he saw the Corollas windshield wipers working feverishly to clean off the mess that the Pilot had just showered it in. We were laughing about that one for a good bit after.

Another one I used is this- minor brake check to open up some distance, slow down, see green light about to turn yellow (as indicated by the flashing orange hand and second counter), pick up the pace only a tad to open the gap until the second counter runs out and the light turns yellow, then give it the boot through the yellow and strand the guy at the red. I did this one to a guy in a buick earlier today that was up my tailpipe way too close (if I can’t see your grille over my cars trunk window beltline.. You’re in my discomfort zone, and I couldn't see half of this guys hood, If I had any serious reason to hit the brakes hard he woulda gone straight into me). I stranded him at the red and kept going on my merry way, it was hilarious, if the 🤬 hadnt gotten on my nerves we both woulda gotten through the light just fine. =p

Last edited:
Good to know the Camry's windshield washers can do that, I've never tried. I usually start slowly slowing down. I've gone 15 in 35s just to get my point across. Or I'll quickly tap the brakes to flash the brake lights, in the Camry it doesn't take much to get the lights on, just have to know the pedal.

I'm not sure if a rear mounted washer is illegal, I had one on my wagon. All I would need to do is turn it just a bit. Wouldn't be to hard to install and hide.... You are a bad influence.

Typically, Ill slow down to about 15 under, and then rocket away to open up the gap. When this doesnt work, I result to going slow until he backs off. In the OP, however, that wasnt an option. He was simply too close.

I know, right? you can get the lights to come on, and not slow down at all.

I remember thinking to myself something along the lines of Tom Cruise in Top Gun

"I'm too close for missiles, Switching to guns!"
and then letting him have it.

I'll just coast, turning hazards on helps, lets the guy behind you know something is going on. If coasting is slowing to fast, just ease up on the gas. I miss my wagon, my flex pipe was destroyed, so I was basically running with open exhaust manifolds, nobody followed me!

:lol: If you bought a new car with a back up cam, you should be giving a lock on spray option. Along with a back spray device. Especially the old people who can't drive, but I see this going oh so wrong.

I usually point my side mirrors strait back. That way their lights aren't in my eyes, they're pointed towards them. If they rear end me I don't give a duck.

:lol: If you bought a new car with a back up cam, you should be giving a lock on spray option. Along with a back spray device. Especially the old people who can't drive, but I see this going oh so wrong.

Yes! This could get to be pretty intense. Soon it would just become a game i reckon. Although, it would be fun...

I do believe it is legal to have
A. Leaves
and
B. Fresh Water

Coming off of your car (In California).

Ah yes, the light game. At night I tend to do that as well. Kinda sucks if you dont have electric mirrors.

Im think something along the lines of this for a switch

09278-1-435.jpg

People underrate the 3/4th gen Camry's when it comes to braking. I've driven quite a few cars of the same vintage and the Camry has the best feel IMO.

Another thing I will do: If it's a back road, and the tailgater isn't a cop (VERY IMPORTANT), turn your haz lights on. Don't slow don't, just turn them on. The tailgater will pass or back off, either way they aren't your problem anymore! I had a good friend do this to a cop, who apparently was running his plates (which is why he closed distance). Funnest thing I've seen in a long time, as we were blasting Poke'mon walking music, with a 12 inch sub in the back. My buddy turned down the volume, but never did he turn it off :lol:

I know, right? It is hands down one of my favorite cars.

The hazard light thing is good also! But i think that IS illegal.

I have no idea, the cop didn't say anything about it, but I do think it was the straw that broke the camels back. We were blasting 8 bit music, on rural roads, going slightly under the speed limit (buddy thinks the limit is the absolute limit...). I have driven my current car threw citys with my hazards on and never been stopped, and I was maintaining the speed limit. Hazards are kinda a grey area to me.

I'd imagine something like that would be, if not illegal, a bit dangerous.

Easing off works. 👍

Last edited:
FordMKIVJ5
I'd imagine something like that would be, if not illegal, a bit dangerous.

Easing off works- that way you aren't slowing sharply but they can't see you braking and suddenly realise you're slowing- people generally leave a gap after you've done that. 👍

The easing up was how I set up the Buick to strand him at the light, I'd speed up a touch and then slow down a little to control his distance from me, I didn't want him riding my bumper through the light.. Haha

Yeah I've been google-ing it, and it seems in most states you must be going at least 15 under the speed limit to be able to run your hazards. DON'T DO IT! I think the only reason I got away with it was because I had smoke pouring out of my hood. Ya learn something new everyday!

doing the speed limit on the freeway, in the left lane
This one statement nullifies the rest of your post. I agree with your tactic to discourage tail-gaters. However, I do not agree with your doddling in the left lane. It is never acceptable in my book to hold someone up in the left lane, whether you're doing the speed limit or 130 mph. If someone wants to go faster than you, that's their perogative. Best to let them get on their way. Even if you're passing people, it's easy enough to get out of the way for a few seconds to let someone behind you get by. Washington drivers are horrible offenders, which is why I get so riled up about this lol!

This one statement nullifies the rest of your post. I agree with your tactic to discourage tail-gaters. However, I do not agree with your doddling in the left lane. It is never acceptable in my book to hold someone up in the left lane, whether you're doing the speed limit or 130 mph. If someone wants to go faster than you, that's their perogative. Best to let them get on their way. Even if you're passing people, it's easy enough to get out of the way for a few seconds to let someone behind you get by. Washington drivers are horrible offenders, which is why I get so riled up about this lol!
I am ALSO passing people who are in the right lane. As I stated, if I could have gotten out of the way, I would have. It wasn't an option. There was no space for me to get into the right lane.

And if I had stated that I was going higher than the posted speed limit, I could be nailed with an AUP infraction. I was hardly "doodling"

So since I qualified it multiple times in the OP, I don't see how my whole post is nullified.

What I did on my old car was re-adjust the washer jets so they sprayed over my car and landed a little behind it, but this did not leave me without washer jets.
Since their were 2 nozzles in each jet I just adjusted the outer nozzles to spray above my car.

It worked all the time.

Awful lot of very dangerous advice here. Including in the first post.

The correct way of "dealing with" tailgaters is to do nothing. They're already driving like arses so why are we giving advice to provoke them? Sure, let's stamp on the brakes and cause a collision. What next? Oh yeah, stop and exchange insurance details with the arse you've just provoked and then made crash into you - that'll be a fun old conversation.

If you're uncomfortable driving along with someone glued to your rear bumper, pull over and allow them past - let them have their accident somewhere else. If you're not uncomfortable, why change how you're driving?

Awful lot of very dangerous advice here. Including in the first post.

The correct way of "dealing with" tailgaters is to do nothing. They're already driving like arses so why are we giving advice to provoke them? Sure, let's stamp on the brakes and cause a collision. What next? Oh yeah, stop and exchange insurance details with the arse you've just provoked and then made crash into you - that'll be a fun old conversation.

If you're uncomfortable driving along with someone glued to your rear bumper, pull over and allow them past - let them have their accident somewhere else. If you're not uncomfortable, why change how you're driving?

So glad I went to the second page before responding. I was actually horrified at reading what I hope is all anecdotal. None of what was posted was funny, smart, or safe. In many places, brake-checking is incredibly illegal. Why you'd want to incite a wreck is completely beyond me. If you're passing someone, you pass them and move over. You're not responsible for what's going on behind you.

Driving schools near me advocate letting off the gas and allowing the car to slow until the tailgater decides to pass.

Whatever method you use, don't turn driving into a game or petty feud. Things get a lot less funny when other road users get to see you crash at 70mph because you were too busy dueling the car behind you.

I'd thought of getting a big spider printed on the back of my estate car....maybe this shot would stop some folk getting too close:sly:

Then again might end up scaring folk off the road if I go past them with that covering the back of the car:ouch:

Just pull over and let them past if you're not prepared to go faster. It's what I do when muppets are hassling me in a 30 or 40mph zone.

Driving schools near me advocate letting off the gas and allowing the car to slow until the tailgater decides to pass.

Not smart when you're already in the left lane passing people. And I find it pretty appalling that a driving school would instruct people to slow down on a freeway for no reason.

ShobThaBob
So glad I went to the second page before responding. I was actually horrified at reading what I hope is all anecdotal. None of what was posted was funny, smart, or safe. In many places, brake-checking is incredibly illegal. Why you'd want to incite a wreck is completely beyond me. If you're passing someone, you pass them and move over. You're not responsible for what's going on behind you.

It wasn't a brake check.. That was the wrong word.. I more or less tapped the pedal just hard enough to trip the lights to get him to back up.. Didn't know what else to call it.. If I did a full on brake check he was so close he woulda plowed square into my back and I knew it

I have a headlight mounted to my rear bumper of out truck so if someone comes up close to use at night we blind them (lol). The real use is that we used to have to pull out of a long driveway at night and everything is covered by a tree canopy so it was difficult to see where we were going. It was installed after hitting a pine tree (no damage to the bumper, but the tree got a 6 inch deep chuck out of it all the way across the tree). I have a cast iron/steel pipe bumper bolt on with 6 rather large bolts to the frame with a few spot welds. It's been hit at over 100mph so I think we are safe.

Back