The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Update #2: It turns out my wheel lost it's firmware and the only way to get the Thrustmaster bootloader method to work was to use the "REAR" USB port on my Dell PC. After many failed attempts using the USB ports on the front I used one in the rear and "BAM" instant recognition. Bootloaded V43 and I was back driving in minutes. Thrustmaster instructions say don't use a USB hub for this, so front ports must be configured that way. Just a heads-up to anybody updating or bootloading their firmware.
So, my tip WAS right... :)

Fanapryde, you were right on the money about firmware update. But I never would of thought there was that much of a difference between the front and rear USB ports. Happy driving to you.

I bought my t500 february this year. Two weeks ago I was testing R3E and while testing different ffb levels, suddenly smoke came out of the top. I was afraid of fire and I pulled the plugs as fast as I could and the room filled up with the nasty harsh smell of burned electronics. I contacted support. I was left with very clear instructions and two days later I sent the base to TM France. Today I received a compleet new base! Apparently too much damage to repair. Somehow it worries me, on the other side it could have been a factory flaw. Anyways, Im impressed by TM's support. That was the main reason to choose for TM instead of Fanatec. Happy racing!

Update #2: It turns out my wheel lost it's firmware and the only way to get the Thrustmaster bootloader method to work was to use the "REAR" USB port on my Dell PC. After many failed attempts using the USB ports on the front I used one in the rear and "BAM" instant recognition. Bootloaded V43 and I was back driving in minutes. Thrustmaster instructions say don't use a USB hub for this, so front ports must be configured that way. Just a heads-up to anybody updating or bootloading their firmware.

The difference could be that the rear USB ports supply power i.e. +5v but the front one's don't. I remember something similar to this with a standard PC and its USB ports.

Anyone know whether or not it is possible to use Cronusmax to make T500RS fully supported on PS4 even with system menu, share button etc.?

Anyone know whether or not it is possible to use Cronusmax to make T500RS fully supported on PS4 even with system menu, share button etc.?

I guess you would plug the T500RS into the usb port on the Cronusmax after programming the buttons via the PS4 controller somehow? If it's easy enough, that'd be a great solution to get those buttons working.

Jerome

3 years in the making since GT5, only today I manage to upgrade to T500RS from my old faithful G27.

try few laps in beginner mode that swicthed to simulation. Much easier driving on the nurb with simulation mode. then trying to turn off ABS = 0 ( quite impossible with G27 )...and it worked as expected :D

10686834_10152771216377145_1750807242361122628_n.jpg

10369196_10152771220977145_638855960212978762_n.jpg

10628328_10152771217927145_8367586822026888047_n.jpg

Agree. Not sure if anyone replaced this or offer an aftermarket mod :lol:.
I beg to differ. I think it is great 👍
Don't know if it is "old school" or not, but I have seen lots of racing and rally cars over here in Belgium, that are equipped with the exact same floorplates...
Anyway, I placed my Playstation on a shelf made of the same stuff.

I beg to differ. I think it is great 👍
Don't know if it is "old school" or not, but I have seen lots of racing and rally cars over here in Belgium, that are equipped with the exact same floorplates...
Anyway, I placed my Playstation on a shelf made of the same stuff.
I respect your preference for that "old school" raw look :). I don't hate it, just wish there's aftermarket option to have a custom floorplates that looks better with my setup. Anyone?:lol:

Got the Ferrari GTE addon for the T500 and after using it for about two days the off-center problem occurred...

So i used the guide given by TM

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download.../T500RS_AutoCalibration_Centering_Process.pdf

and while now when I hold the wheel at 50% in control panel the wheel is centered there is still an issue.

When I turn the wheel to the right either in the control panel or in game(ie assetto corsa) the real wheel matched the virtual one. But on the left side there is a different story. At some point on the left side the real wheel turns more than the virtual one so when reaching the "stop" on the left side there is a visible difference between the virtual and the real wheel.

My theory is that with the manual centering procedure what you do is move the centering position to match the wheel so you can keep using the wheel but in fact the wheel remains broken. And now I have a broken wheel that has the center position right but the left side(in my case) is still broken.

Has anyone else encountered this after they manually centering their wheel? Was the left side ok?
I have used the procedure once on both my T500 and T300: both wheels rotate fine both left and right.

did you set the wheel to 1080 degrees correctly before recentering?
Did you remember to switch back to 900 degrees to use in AC again?

Sorry, no idea. You seem to have done everything correctly.
Try switching to the GT rim and redoing the procedure? Other than that I'd contact Thrustmaster support, see what they can suggest.

Hello guys,

I bought a T500RS a few months ago on ebay and it worked fine a few weeks. I didn't use it the last ~2months because I waited for a proper DK2 integration in assetto corsa which happened a few days ago.
Unfortunately I have a problem with the T500RS now, when I plug it in it there is no auto-calibration and no movement when I try to test force feedback in its control panel.
First I thought it could be a driver problem, because it gets recognized in windows correctly every time, but sometimes it wouldn't show any reaction to turning the wheel or pressing buttons, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, force feedback does never work. So I tried to flash a previous firmware (v41) and an older driver from 2013, but I had the same problem, so I tried it on an older laptop just to see if it works, but again it didn't. It wasn't quite the same problem because it was never recognized correctly in windows.

Could it be the power supply, or is it the wheel itself? I was just lying around next to me without being touched by anything, would be strange if it breaks without being used. On the other hand I remember that the power supply was plugged in a few weeks without being attached to the wheel.
I already wrote an email to thrustmaster yesterday, but I can't expect an answer before monday, so maybe someone here was an idea. I looked quite a bit for a solution or an answer but I couldn't find any other person with the same problem... Would be great if someone could help me.

regards

Hello guys,

I bought a T500RS a few months ago on ebay and it worked fine a few weeks. I didn't use it the last ~2months because I waited for a proper DK2 integration in assetto corsa which happened a few days ago.
Unfortunately I have a problem with the T500RS now, when I plug it in it there is no auto-calibration and no movement when I try to test force feedback in its control panel.
First I thought it could be a driver problem, because it gets recognized in windows correctly every time, but sometimes it wouldn't show any reaction to turning the wheel or pressing buttons, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, force feedback does never work. So I tried to flash a previous firmware (v41) and an older driver from 2013, but I had the same problem, so I tried it on an older laptop just to see if it works, but again it didn't. It wasn't quite the same problem because it was never recognized correctly in windows.

Could it be the power supply, or is it the wheel itself? I was just lying around next to me without being touched by anything, would be strange if it breaks without being used. On the other hand I remember that the power supply was plugged in a few weeks without being attached to the wheel.
I already wrote an email to thrustmaster yesterday, but I can't expect an answer before monday, so maybe someone here was an idea. I looked quite a bit for a solution or an answer but I couldn't find any other person with the same problem... Would be great if someone could help me.

regards
My T500rs recently had almost the same problems and it made all the difference in the world which USB port I used on my PC. Used one on the rear and everything finally worked. Hope this helps. See posts at top of this page.

My T500rs recently had almost the same problems and it made all the difference in the world which USB port I used on my PC. Used one on the rear and everything finally worked. Hope this helps. See posts at top of this page.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I already tried several ports on my computer, front and rear ports.

What I found out in the meantime is that there is indeed a very very small amount of force feedback in the game (I tried assetto corsa) and in the control panel, but its so weak that the wheel wouldn't move by itself, just by turning the wheel during the force feedback test you can sense that the resistance changes minimally.

Does the power supply have a blue light when on?
Does the wheel have a red light bottom left when on?

Does the power supply have a blue light when on?
Does the wheel have a red light bottom left when on?
Yes, both lights are on. As I said, sometimes everything except force feedback works fine. It's weird, because first the wheel isn't recognized in its control panel, but when I start turning it or pressing some buttons the X-Axis jumps to 0%, when I turn it to the right it shows me the movement, so I have to turn the wheel all to the left once, otherwise it would be completely off.

Sorry guys, I have perused several pages to see if anyone is having success with the T500 and the PS4. Has anyone been using it?

Sorry guys, I have perused several pages to see if anyone is having success with the T500 and the PS4. Has anyone been using it?
On this forum Blkout posted success with T500 + Driveclub however you can't run the controller and wheel at the same time in that game so you simply don't have access to the share button (all normal buttons work).

We're still waiting for other driving games for PS4, but Thrustmaster states explicitly on their support site that the T500 is supported by The Crew, Driveclub, pCARS on PS4 when they are released.

Hey up everyone,

About to buy a T500RS. Anyone can confirm that this is the latest version of the product?

Thrustmaster T500 RS Simulator Racing Wheel for PS3 & PC Licensed for Gran Turismo 6

Manufacturers Code:4168044

H.E.A.R.T. HALLEFFECT ACCURATE TECHNOLOGY™” is the name of the new technology developed by Thrustmaster to reproduce movements made on a product in games. It relies on magnetic – and not mechanical – 3D (HallEffect) sensors, placed in different locations according to the product in question. The precision made possible by the use of this technology is significantly higher than that provided by standard technologies. Another advantage of this system: by eliminating all friction, it guarantees zero mechanical wear, for permanent precision that won’t decrease over time. The level of precision is also enhanced by the absence of any dead zones: even the slightest movement made by the player results in a reaction. Actions in games are therefore more linear, smoother and without any untimely jolts.

- Authentic wheel: 30cm (12”) in diameter with brushed metal central spokes
- Authentic sequential gearshift levers: crafted of brushed metal, attached to the base (so they don’t move with the wheel)
- 17cm in height (for instant access along 1080°)
- Precision, Force Feedback & realistic angle of rotation
- New H.E.A.R.T Hall Effect AccuRate Technology™ on the wheel’s steering:
- Ultra-precise wheel, with 16-bit resolution (65536 values on the steering)!
- Precision that won’t decrease over time (contactless magnetic sensor)
- Force Feedback with industrial motor (Torque 150mNm, 3000rpm, 65W, Ø 52mm/2”)
- Super-powerful, quick responding Force Feedback mechanism
- Rigid motorized stopper, no matter what angle of rotation you select
- Mechanism with large dual belts (fluid and smooth action)
- Angle of rotation adjustable up to 1080° (3 full turns)!
- Realistic pedal set
- Unique design with your choice of 2 positions:
- Floor-mounted position (F1-style)
- Suspended position (GT-style)
- 100% metal, for optimal stability, weight (more than 7 kgs) and resistance
- 3 100% adjustable pedals (spacing between the pedals/height)
- Brake pedal with reinforced and adjustable resistance (included and removable “Realistic Brake” mod)
- Included metal footrest with non-slip grating texture

I've seen that Newegg has a model with a higher serial number (4169056), but it could just be the US import version (I'm in the UK).

Last edited:
Not sure how long its been like this, but I noticed the LED on the wheel is dimmer than it used to be most of the time. Its bright when you first turn it on....

My paddle shifter switches seem to gradually die on me.
I tried Bodin Solutions some 7 weeks ago, but they were not in stock then.
Now they are still unavailable...
@mrbasher ... help ? ;)
Upshifter switch is letting me down, tried the Bodin site, but still not available...
Is there any hope ?
I just sent a mail to Thrustmaster and switched to automatic :yuck:

Upshifter switch is letting me down, tried the Bodin site, but still not available...
Is there any hope ?
I just sent a mail to Thrustmaster and switched to automatic :yuck:
Got an answer from Thrustmaster:
They will send a couple of improved switches for 16,40€.
I hope they include a manual 💡

Got an answer from Thrustmaster:
They will send a couple of improved switches for 16,40€.
I hope they include a manual 💡
Hi Fanapryde. There is a manual for removing the paddle shifters on Thrustmaster's home site: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/Manuals/T500RS/T500RS_Remove_Paddles.pdf

I suppose you can use that, and just reverse the procedure for inserting the new ones. :) If not, I think I might have a full procedure at home. I'll have a look when I get home.

Latest Posts

Back