The Vision GT Thread - Car No.18-20 SRT Tomahawk S GTS-R X Vision GT - STILL 26/06/15

• Thread starter Monatsende
  • 1,905 comments

Do we need this thread to be sticky?

• Yes! It`s the reference thread for the ongoing VGT releases.

Votes: 272 66.0%
  • No! Just no!

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • I don`t care!

Votes: 98 23.8%

• Total voters
I had a longer look and the Alpine VGT is there with the other released Vision GT cars:

It was probably added with 1.14, so the next update will most likely contain the Alpine and Mazda VGT cars as both have traces in update 1.15.

So, could we expect a future double-decker for the next VGT release? I saw a number on the end of each code that represents the year (IMO) of release. So "13" (2013) for the Merc and "14" (2014) everybody else. Since the Alpine lacks a number as far as the 1.15 update data goes, we should expect a 2015 release date. Same goes for the Mazda LM55, and putting those two together would make sort of sense, as both look like Le Mans hommages in their own way.

A few things that I thought was weird about the 2X:

1. The engine speed is not constant even at full throttle. At low speeds the engine doesn't go higher than 4-6 k on the tachometer and it doesn't hit the maximum 10k until the car does about 330 km/h.
2. The acceleration is great up until about 420 km/h where it's like it suddenly hits a wall and won't go any faster.
3. The top speed is the same even when you use a 50% engine limiter.

I just realised why the car behaves like that and it's all for the same reason: The laser propulsion.

Here is why: Power = amount of work * frequency

To increase power, one could either increase the amount of work that's being done in a given time period, or have the same amount of work done faster.

In an internal combustion engine the amount of work translates to the torque and the frequency translates to the RPM.

For the laser engine, the amount of work would be the effect delivered by each pulse, or more precisely the push from the rapidly expanding air. The frequency is the amount of pulses per minute (essentially just like RPM, only it's pulses instead of revolutions).

Because the car is peing pushed by expanding air, the effect of each push will diminish when the car starts to move, because it's moving away from the push. In the power equation above, this means that the amount of work that's being done diminishes with speed, so in order to keep the same engine power, the frequency needs to increase with the speed of the car. So when stationary, an engine speed of 4k will deliver the same amount of power as an engine speed of 10k when the car travels at 330 km/h.

Now, if the engine is capable of a frequency of 10k pulses per minute, why not deliver all of that already from the start and have a huge power boost (2250 BHP?) at low speeds? I can think of two possible reasons:

1. Because it's simply been decided that 900 BHP is all you'll ever need.
2. Because it's possible that a higher frequency may result in a reduced effect. The car is propelled by expanding air, which means that the effect should be the greatest when the engine operates in cold air (since the temperature difference between the cold air and the hot expanding air is what determines the effect of each pulse). A too high frequency at a too low speed may result in the air warming up faster than new cold air is coming in, and the rise in temperature would reduced the effect. It's possible that the net result would still be increased power due to the higher frequency, but it would take more battery power and be less energy efficient.

When it comes to the sudden decline in acceleration when approaching top speed, it would be explained by the engine losing power. The maximum frequency of 10k pulses per minute is reached when the car does 330 km/h, above that speed it's not possible to increase the frequency any more and since the amount of work decreases with speed, the engine will lose more power the faster you go above 330 km/h. So when the car approaches top speed it's facing two obstacles: increased wind resistance and reduced engine power. This is what's causing the acceleration to decline faster than for a normal car, which only needs to fight against the wind resistance.

But why does the car have the same top speed even with a 50% engine limiter?

Because if you set the limiter to 50% you'll have roughly 450 BHP. The engine limiter does not reduce the amount of work that's being done - each laser pulse still packs the same punch. What it does is that it limits the frequency.

And because power = amount of work * frequency it will keep adjusting the frequency to deliver the 450 BHP. The unrestricted car hit the cap of 10k at 330 km/h, above which the engine lost power.

The restricted car will keep delivering it's full 450 BHP all the way until the frequency reaches the maximum 10k, which happens at about 400 km/h.

Remembering that power = amount of work * frequency and remembering that the limiter doesn't limit the amount of work, it means that when both the limited and unlimited car are operating at 10k, they're delivering the same amount of power. So at about 400km/h, the restricted and the unrestricted cars both have the same power. From then on, both cars lose power at the exact same rate until they both hit the exact same top speed.

2014-Infiniti-Concept-Vision-Gran-Turismo-Studio-7-2560x1600.jpg

2014-Infiniti-Concept-Vision-Gran-Turismo-Studio-8-2560x1600.jpg

Many more here: http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/2014/top-2014-Infiniti-Concept-Vision-Gran-Turismo.html

Did anyone else notice that the "GM Design" section of the VGT screen is still there? This means that GM may have another VGT concept car in the works, perhaps more realistic than the wild 2X... Although that's my favorite one so far.

Did anyone else notice that the "GM Design" section of the VGT screen is still there? This means that GM may have another VGT concept car in the works, perhaps more realistic than the wild 2X... Although that's my favorite one so far.

I did, actually. Which makes the Chaparral even more strange of a project, no one really knows why GM decided to create it. Perhaps orders from PD to create a halo car for the VGT project? Or a replacement of sorts for the Alfa Romeo project? It's a weird story to say the least...

Yeah it is strange, but regardless, I'm glad it was added. It's so wild that it's impossible not to love! (Even though it does not like the DS3) Chaparral was historically a brand that designed wild racecars, so that is continuing the tradition (so glad that Mr. Hall appears in the VGT video!) I'm sure that a fan car was equally as wild in 1970, so who knows, maybe one day there will be laser powered cars. For me, this car is to GT6 what the X2010 was to GT5- fast, sleek, and willing to break the rules.

(To continue the conversation from a few pages back, I'm hoping we'll get the Ford VGT at the NAIAS. I've been waiting the most for this one because Ford is a big part of my life for many reasons; also looking forward to the Mazda LMP55. It will have to be something to beat the Chaparral though!)

Yeah it is strange, but regardless, I'm glad it was added. It's so wild that it's impossible not to love! (Even though it does not like the DS3) Chaparral was historically a brand that designed wild racecars, so that is continuing the tradition (so glad that Mr. Hall appears in the VGT video!) I'm sure that a fan car was equally as wild in 1970, so who knows, maybe one day there will be laser powered cars. For me, this car is to GT6 what the X2010 was to GT5- fast, sleek, and willing to break the rules.

(To continue the conversation from a few pages back, I'm hoping we'll get the Ford VGT at the NAIAS. I've been waiting the most for this one because Ford is a big part of my life for many reasons; also looking forward to the Mazda LMP55. It will have to be something to beat the Chaparral though!)

Continuing from your NAIAS story; there are a lot of possibilities for that event. We still have SRT, Tesla, Ford and GM Design's own projects to be unveiled. So any of those could be a possibility. Not to mention we still have the Alpine factor to think of...

Has anyone else bought a second Vision GT per manufacturer, in addition to what you acquire from the time trials? :confused:
I have 7 Infinitis, 5 Astons, 3 Subarus, 4 Toyotas, 3 Mercedes...2 Mitsubishis...I make videos for each one in diferent tracks(free run)

Last edited:
Here's a rough one I just did:

vision-gt-logo-large-png.279586

I intend on cleaning it up abit.

Attachments

• Vision GT Logo (Large).png
    Vision GT Logo (Large).png
    33.4 KB · Views: 226
Man, the LM55 is absolutely beautiful. Interesting to me that this comes at a time when Mazda has said they have interest in LMP1 again. Can anyone tell us if it uses a Rotary or Cylinder engine?

The Mazda LM55 Vision Gran Turismo comes in only one color and you get a paint chip from it. The name of the paint is Atmospheric White. (yay, another white...)

Specs:

Length - N/A
Width - N/A
Height - N/A
Weight - N/A
Displacement - N/A
Horsepower - N/A
Max Torque - N/A
Drivetrain - 4WD
Aspiration - Natual

PP - 704

Price - 1,000,000 CR.

The following can be customized:

Suspension
Drivetrain
Transmission

*Doesn't have an interior*
vvbuZwn.jpg

Last edited:
SANTA KAZ came through!!! I think this is the best VGT car so far (I'm putting the Chaparral in a class of its own)

Now, if only it would download properly..

This Mazda VGT car is a stunner. I got gold in only about 5 laps with it. I never get gold, but it was no trouble with this one. It's just that easy to come to grips with.

Back