The Xbox One Thread - One X & One SXBOne 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 5,072 comments
Hoping to get one in time for the Destiny Beta! Especially with the $399 tag, higher performance without Kinect, and Halo!

Hoping to get one in time for the Destiny Beta! Especially with the $399 tag, higher performance without Kinect, and Halo!
Yeah now that I think about it, I might even have the X1 by the time Destiny comes out. Decisions decisions.

I wonder if we are still able to make the X1 record without Kinect? Currently you can say "xbox record" and it instantly starts recording. I really have no interest in Kinect but I guess we will see. Would be nice if it had the share button like the PS4.

So many lol's :lol:

E3: Xbox One ad is switching on Microsoft consoles

_75495220_aron2.png

An advert featuring the actor Aaron Paul is having unintended consequence.

Xbox One owners are complaining that a new TV advert is switching their consoles on without their permission.

The ad - featuring Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul - has the actor say "Xbox On" near its start.

The instruction appears to trigger the machine's Kinect voice/motion sensor, activating the console.

A spokesman for the firm said it had no comment at this time, but noted that previous ads had also featured voice commands.

Many people have posted comments about the problem on social media sites.

"Aaron Paul just turned my Xbox One via the Xbox advert. (Which triggered the IR [infrared] blaster to switch my TV off..)" tweeted Qassim Farid, a UK-based tech blogger.

Chesterfield-based Tom Neal wrote: "@Xbox your new TV advert is annoying the hell outta me. Aaron Paul keeps turning my console on… #stooooop"

The effect has also been noted on news discussion site Reddit's Xbox section, with one commentator writing: "Damn commercial keeps turning on my xbox! Lol"

Is this Xbox's secret plot to keep people playing their Xbox'es? :sly:

Creepy, one day a global advert will come on saying, Xbox excute order 66. :nervous:

Here's something I'm not understanding about the new power of the Xbox one without kinect. I seen one game the other day announce it would now run at 1080 on the Xbox because of the extra power from losing the kinect.

Are these games going to make you disable the kinect when you play them?

Will they just automatically turn off all kinect features?

Or will you have two different options on how to run the game?

Or will the game just run poorly with kinect enabled.

I just don't see how they are going to harness this new found power from the Xbox one when there are already millions of kinects hooked up in Xbox users homes and the entire UI of the Xbox one kind of revolves around voice features.

From what I understand, the game will switch the Kinect off automatically, then re-enable it when the game goes into suspended or exit modes.

So I took the plunge and decided to pick up the new £349 Kinectless bundle of the Xbox One on Friday along with Forza 5 and Titanfall. Going to do a quick review on it, because it is an underrated console that deserves more praise than it has negative feedback.

So the console itself: not the ugly behemoth I initially thought it to be. Sure, it does look like a futuristic VCR, but once it is in your home it sort of blends in with everything else. Setup was quick and easy enough- the console explained every step to me. Yes, it does require a day one update but if you have good internet it won't be an issue. Another thing to note is the noise level- which consistently remained so quiet I couldn't hear it. This is unlike my PS4, whose fans will kick in and will be very loud if I play a game like Watch Dogs. I think MS have really nailed the reliability and noise of the console this time around, though it is very early to judge.

The Operating System of the Xbox One is basically a stripped down Windows 8, with features taken out that do not relate to gaming and entertainment. If you are familiar with the Metro style of Windows 8, you will easily learn the new dashboard. If you are not familiar, there may be a steep learning curve. I'm part of the former group. The dashboard for me operates as should be, it is very fast and stable and is as advertised by MS. I can even resume a game right where I left off when the Xbox is in "Instant On" mode, which I find very cool. The snapping is also very helpful, as I can snap a site that I main as well as play a game. The only gripe is that OneGuide for TV only works if you have a Kinect, but the Sky controller helps to solve that so I'm not complaining.

The architecture of the console, as everyone I'm sure is aware of is underpowered compared to PS4. But, Xbox One makes up for that with its impressive exclusive line-up. Forza 5 is a brilliant game, the graphics are stunning and the game overall is better than GT for me (but that is another topic). Titanfall, while I haven't played much of it, from what I have played it is a brilliant, fun game that is in the genre I value most- Mechanical Warfare. :D There are also many other games releasing this year that I cannot wait to play- the "Big Three" being Forza Horizon 2, Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Sunset Overdrive.

So should you buy an Xbox One over the PS4? If you want a brilliant first pary line up for 2014 and beyond, by all means do it. If you want better multi-platform titles, PS4 may be the better option. Personally though, the Xbox One is better suited to my needs as a gamer and a TV lover.

I'm looking at picking one up closer to when Sunset Overdrive and Halo MCC is released. I'll probably get a Kinect Bundle due to the voice commands and features that come with it, though.

Nice to see something positive about the One. You see so many negative comments about it on the Internet you begin to feel paranoid that you must be stupid for not recognising all these supposed faults that make it a useless console.

Sure, it does look like a futuristic VCR,

I like it when they look like futuristic VCR's :lol: The original PS3 looked like what a Betamax VCR would have looked if it had been invented in 06!

I don't think games consoles should really blend in with other AV equipment, they should look as bonkers as possible.

Daniel
I'm looking at picking one up closer to when Sunset Overdrive and Halo MCC is released. I'll probably get a Kinect Bundle due to the voice commands and features that come with it, though.

Yeah, if I was considering one I would probably pick a Kinect bundle because the voice command's are such a cool feature of the console.

VXR
Nice to see something positive about the One. You see so many negative comments about it on the Internet you begin to feel paranoid that you must be stupid for not recognising all these supposed faults that make it a useless console.
All consoles are equal. But some consoles are more equal than others.

From what I understand, the game will switch the Kinect off automatically, then re-enable it when the game goes into suspended or exit modes.

To add to this, I believe it just turns off the camera. The voice commands will still work as per usual.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-17-how-the-xbox-one-gpu-reserve-unlock-actually-works

"Lots of people ask, 'so, you're taking back the GPU reserve for Kinect. Well, does that mean I can't say, 'Xbox, record that?' No. You can always say that," Microsoft Studios creative director Ken Lobb told Eurogamer.

What Microsoft has done is create a flexible system where, according to Lobb, the Xbox One's GPU and RAM "can bounce".

"So if someone says, 'Xbox record that,' it will work on 100 per cent of the games, if you have a Kinect."

If you don't have a Kinect, "it's not like you have more RAM," Lobb clarified.

Microsoft has optimised the Xbox One's background operating system to support "flipping back and forth". It listens to the player sometimes, "and then pulling back if it's needed for a frame to go, he said, 'record that,' go record this thing.

"And you have to count for that whether you're using Kinect or not. But you get the full memory and the full bandwidth."

It's worth noting that if a developer creates a Kinect-free game, gesture controls and visual recognition features are suspended while the game is running. As soon as you minimise the game, however, all of the Kinect functionality returns.

How games use the extra horsepower will be up to developers, Lobb added. One, Bungie, has already been able to increase the resolution and frame-rate of its game, Destiny, on Xbox One, to hit 1080p30 - matching the PlayStation 4 version.
Other developers, however, might use it differently.

"You have more GPU, so go ahead and use it how you want," Lobb said. "It's more GPU plus more bandwidth to the GPU, so they both matter. So for some games it might be resolution, it might be frame-rate, or it might be, let's throw in more enemies."

Simply summed up, voice commands work but other Kinect features won't work while running a Kinect free game unless you minimize it.

Before even if you made a Kinect free game the system was always reserving 10% for gesture stuff etc.

Question would be does anyone use Kinect (excluding voice) while running a normal game? If most games go for the power it could affect the user.

Last edited:
On another point, on this quote

"So, I love Kinect," he said. "To me, it's not the thousand things it does. I record s*** all the time and I say, 'Xbox, on.' So for me, those two things, the hundred bucks doesn't matter for me. For a lot of people it does. And so we've got to give you an option to pick. Do you want to say, 'Xbox, on?' Do you want to say, 'Xbox, record that?' Do you want to dance? No? Then you don't need the device. I think that's super smart."

You could have a mic plug into the Kinect port. You could even have it on a cable that can be mounted on the TV for fraction of the cost.

I know that's not the point and would really go against what Kinect is but I read so many saying how they love the voice commands.

Console remains $399 and you get voice commands

On another point, on this quote

You could have a mic plug into the Kinect port. You could even have it on a cable that can be mounted on the TV for fraction of the cost.

I know that's not the point and would really go against what Kinect is but I read so many saying how they love the voice commands.

Console remains $399 and you get voice commands

Yeah, a mic does seem pretty obvious. They could even make one that plugs into the controller. It doesn't have to be fancy. Cheap and cheerful will do.

So I'm looking to pick up an FPS, but just wanted to know your experiences' with the few currently out on the One. I was thinking either Battlefield, COD, or Titanfall(are there any others out right now?)

Ive heard of problems with BF, but are they a gamebreaker?

COD is COD is COD is COD. I dunno about it, but its always passed time easily.

Now, Titanfall. I havnt really heard anything about it, other than my friend telling me to get it.

I'm not partial on vehicle combat, but I suppose I can get used to it. I'd like to stay away from COD, but it having no Vehicles is the only plus I can think of haha. Any recommendations?

@ImaRobot I've played quite a bit of Titanfall, BF4 and Ghosts and I've had the most fun with BF4. Now, all this has been (except Titanfall) on the PS4 so I can't say for sure how BF4 will run on the Xbone, but on my PlayStation it has been pretty rare to have a game crash, bug or glitch. For me the game is very stable and I have no problem playing it for a few hours with zero issues. I don't have any of the LDC though so I don't know if that has changed the game at all.

Titanfall is very fun as well but I feel there is more to do and you get more for your money from Battlefield. Personally I think Ghosts is pretty damn fun too but you're against CoD for whatever reasons so I won't talk about my experiences with that.

Again, all my gameplay comes from the PlayStation 4 except Titanfall which was played on Xbox One.

@peobryant I'm not against COD, its just that Ive opted for the game more often then not and was just wondering about the others. Thats not to say I dont enjoy it, though.

I was leaning more towards BF4 as well, so its highly likely I'll end up with that.

@peobryant I'm not against COD, its just that Ive opted for the game more often then not and was just wondering about the others. Thats not to say I dont enjoy it, though.

I was leaning more towards BF4 as well, so its highly likely I'll end up with that.
in my opinion COD is great to play on your own but Battlefield is better if you play with friends

Last edited:
in my opinion COD is great to play on your own but Battlefield is better if you play with friends
I got BF4 instead, but I have no friends haha. Invite me anytime you get on, I'll jump in. I really enjoy rush, especially on of the 32v32 servers.

Welp I just ordered an Xbox One Forza 5 bundle with Kinect. Shouldn't have chosen the Destiny Beta for the 360! :lol:

So I took the plunge and decided to pick up the new £349 Kinectless bundle of the Xbox One on Friday along with Forza 5 and Titanfall. Going to do a quick review on it, because it is an underrated console that deserves more praise than it has negative feedback.

So the console itself: not the ugly behemoth I initially thought it to be. Sure, it does look like a futuristic VCR, but once it is in your home it sort of blends in with everything else. Setup was quick and easy enough- the console explained every step to me. Yes, it does require a day one update but if you have good internet it won't be an issue. Another thing to note is the noise level- which consistently remained so quiet I couldn't hear it. This is unlike my PS4, whose fans will kick in and will be very loud if I play a game like Watch Dogs. I think MS have really nailed the reliability and noise of the console this time around, though it is very early to judge.

The Operating System of the Xbox One is basically a stripped down Windows 8, with features taken out that do not relate to gaming and entertainment. If you are familiar with the Metro style of Windows 8, you will easily learn the new dashboard. If you are not familiar, there may be a steep learning curve. I'm part of the former group. The dashboard for me operates as should be, it is very fast and stable and is as advertised by MS. I can even resume a game right where I left off when the Xbox is in "Instant On" mode, which I find very cool. The snapping is also very helpful, as I can snap a site that I main as well as play a game. The only gripe is that OneGuide for TV only works if you have a Kinect, but the Sky controller helps to solve that so I'm not complaining.

The architecture of the console, as everyone I'm sure is aware of is underpowered compared to PS4. But, Xbox One makes up for that with its impressive exclusive line-up. Forza 5 is a brilliant game, the graphics are stunning and the game overall is better than GT for me (but that is another topic). Titanfall, while I haven't played much of it, from what I have played it is a brilliant, fun game that is in the genre I value most- Mechanical Warfare. :D There are also many other games releasing this year that I cannot wait to play- the "Big Three" being Forza Horizon 2, Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Sunset Overdrive.

So should you buy an Xbox One over the PS4? If you want a brilliant first pary line up for 2014 and beyond, by all means do it. If you want better multi-platform titles, PS4 may be the better option. Personally though, the Xbox One is better suited to my needs as a gamer and a TV lover.

Hey thanks for that review! 👍

Just one question: the day 1 update you mentioned, and for all future updates (not DLC or demos which you have to pay for) - do I need to pay for an XLive membership? Or can I just hook up the console to a broadband modem and start downloading updates after setting up a profile? :confused:

COD has a fluidity and urgency to it that BF's never been able to match. Plus, I think the story always works out better in COD. And of course there's that delightful 60 fps on consoles.. makes all the difference. 60 fps makes you feel more connected and in the action.

Too bad its still not an industry standard with the release of X1/PS4.

Hey thanks for that review! 👍

Just one question: the day 1 update you mentioned, and for all future updates (not DLC or demos which you have to pay for) - do I need to pay for an XLive membership? Or can I just hook up the console to a broadband modem and start downloading updates after setting up a profile? :confused:
you do not need a gold a account, a silver account will do.

60 fps makes you feel more connected and in the action.

Too bad its still not an industry standard with the release of X1/PS4.
Both games are 60fps. Although, I chose Battlefield this time around, and I enjoy everything about it.

@ImaRobot Really? BF on current gen consoles is now 60 fps? Is it rock solid? I still hear a lot of games - Destiny and Watch Dogs - are locked in at 30 fps.

Well, a silver account would still mean paying for a yearly membership yeah? Just to download updates? Not worth it. Updates should be absolutely free.

@ImaRobot Really? BF on current gen consoles is now 60 fps? Is it rock solid? I still hear a lot of games - Destiny and Watch Dogs - are locked in at 30 fps.
I've had drops, rarely though, and I mean like only once, rarely. There are alot less games that are 30 fps, rather than 60FPS.

Well, a silver account would still mean paying for a yearly membership yeah? Just to download updates? Not worth it. Updates should be absolutely free.
No, it has never worked that way, even on the 360. Updates have always been free.

Back