The Xbox One Thread - One X & One SXBOne 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 5,072 comments
Went to find the Lego movie we bought for my son a few weeks ago on the Xbox.

They've got to do something about the UI. It's just terrible. It took me 10 minutes to find a movie I had bought. Everything is hidden way to deep inside of a sub menu beyond an advertisement. You would think we spend enough on Xbox live that we wouldn't have to see advertisements unless we went to a store on live. The movie I bought shouldn't be hidden behind movies I haven't bought yet. It looks really cool and all but come on make it more user friendly instead of buyer friendly.

I miss the blades the 360 use to have. I think that was my favorite console UI.

I don't have an XBOX One or plan to get one any time soon. However, I do have this to say... out of the XBOX One and the PlayStation 4, the XBOX One controller is VERY comfortable in my hands- more so than the PS4's controller. I tried out a demo unit and just simply held the controller in my hands. I think it is even more comfortable than the XBOX 360 controller I use currently for my PC gaming.

Again- not planning on getting an XB1, but I do commend Microsoft on designing a comfy controller for that system.

Hmm... PS4 controller not being very user friendly in terms of comfort. Not particularly pleased about that.

Actually I find the PS4's controller quite comfortable. It's a huge step up from the PS3's controller that would regularly give me cramps with it's outdated small frame. I've been using it since launch day and love it - and I have big hands! My only gripe is that the Option button should be raised a bit since it's hard to find if you're not watching what you're doing. Small detail though.

The X1's controller on the other hand is very similar to the 360's which is not a bad thing. The 360 had a great controller and now they've improved the D-pad, too.

Comparing the two I would personally say I prefer the PS4 controller since it feels a little less bulky in my hands but the difference is negligible. They're both well designed and may just come down to personal preference.

If you played a lot on a 360 last gen, the X1's controller will feel nice and familiar. If you played a lot on PS3, the difference with it's controller and the PS4's is a huge leap forward in comfort and feel.

Japan's status in worldwide gaming has diminished, so I don't think Microsoft really worries about that territory too much.

They should probably do the same thing they done in Forza

See how it works?:lol:

So,by placing cardboard people in front of the shop they could get attention of some people...mabye:D

VXR
Japan's status in worldwide gaming has diminished...
That's just being downright blind loyalist, half of the Industry is located there and half the whole worldwide market is also located there, not to mention that 2 of the 3 main console makers are based and founded there.

It's a shame really, because a standard monopolized market is not a good thing, not to say that Sony is monopolizing everything (Vita is practically dead anyway and the 3DSs are selling like hot cakes), but is shaping more and more like Dreamcast back in 1999.

Xbox has nothing to offer there, has a year lagging behind it's direct competitor, no games for the mainstream market there and serious issues with marketing the thing over there.

I personally kind of want one for Horizon 2, but 400 USD for a single game is just too much, maybe the Halo collection might make me buy it but then there is ACU, MGS5, Silent Hills and a bunch of multi-platform games that will run better on PS4, despite the "unlocking power" BS of removing the Kinect.

@Akira AC, what he says about the Japan game marketing is diminishing isnt entirely false. I found two articles, one recent, and one from July stating that the PS4 isn't doing as well as predicted either. Portables seem to be a big thing over there. Thats not to say the game market in a whole is diminishing over there, but interest in next gen seems to be.

Xbox has nothing to offer there, has a year lagging behind it's direct competitor, no games for the mainstream market there and serious issues with marketing the thing over there.
PS4 was in the same prediciment at its release as well, according to those articles.

From what I can gather, Xbox One released 6-7 months after its main competitor, also.

As for me. The PS4 currently has nothing that I'm interested in. It is a stronger console, yes, but those difference are not that drastic that its going to make me choose one over the other. What got me is the exclusives, which of my friends have what console, and the over all good experience I've had with previous Microsoft content.

Japan has half of the entire world market??? What???

Last I read, PS4 hasn't even broken 1M in Japan since launch, where Sony confirmed that PS4 had already sold over 10M worldwide.
Japan's relevance in gaming is nothing like it once was.

I still haven't picked up either console. Not even FM5 got me wanting an XO. Although that might change soon..
I still want both, but XO exclusives like DR3 and RYSE are coming out on PC. If only Forza was on PC...

From Sept. 7-13 in the US at participating retailers.

1409837656-banner.jpg

Japan traditional gaming markets are about 1/8 of the world. EU and US make up the vast majority obviously

If you look at mobile phone apps Japan is about a third of the global market. Quite a lot for 120-130 million people. Japan mobile app spending has overtook the US and is accelerating very fast year on year.

Despite PS3 selling less than half of the PS2 in Japan, it still amounted for 10 million sales. I think when the systems get a bit cheaper and games start appearing we'll see PS4 pick up. Could take two years though.

Do you guys remember the 360 launch in Japan? They really tried with Final Fantasy creator making Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. They had Tales (another jrpg) exclusive. Capcom was onboard with exclusives. They had a huge drive but have hardly bothered this time around. Not surprising though I guess. Still think trying once is not good enough.

Similarly MS pushed 360 in Europe and did pretty well. Was behind the PS3 but still a large foothold. Xbox One did have a PR disaster in 2013 but Microsoft's EU approach has been much less than the 360 for some reason. So far they're losing big time in the EU. I don't understand how they went so US centric. EU is half the market. They should be building on the Xbox 360 momentum they did so well on making.

Last edited:
Xbone is going to bomb in Japan. Even PS4 has not reached a million there. So if they are getting a home console probably go with PS4 anyways with more Japanese dev support. I can't see Xbone competing with PS4 with same price anywhere

Last edited:
I still haven't actually bought an X1 yet. I figure I'll wait until November and the release of AC UNITY and FAR CRY 4 before I actually do buy it.

I do, however, have one small thing that needs to be addressed first - I still don't have an internet connection. My lease is up for renewal in the new year, and I'm probably going to move, so I'm not really willing to sign up to an internet service provider on a two-year contract.

There is, however, one possible solution: a pre-paid wireless broadband node. You pay for what you need, when you need it. It seems like an ideal solution until such time as I know what I'm doing next year. With that in mind, I have some questions in mind about the X1:

1) How much data does the first connection require?

2) How often does the console need to be updated?

3) How big are these updates?

4) If I don't update the console, what are the implications?

1) How much data does the first connection require?

2) How often does the console need to be updated?

3) How big are these updates?

4) If I don't update the console, what are the implications?

I got my XBone in late August. So far I had to download one update in early September that was somewhere around 1900mb I think. Took me about 45 minutes.

Before that there was another update in early August (that I had to download when I turned the console on for the first time) but I really can't tell you how big it was. And there was another update back in June, so they have been releasing them quite regularly so far.

If you don't update, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use Xbox Live, but don't take my word for it since I wasn't paying much attention to what was written on the update prompts.

Thanks for that. From the sounds of things, it's manageable. The stop-gap solutions I'm looking at have a minimum 4GB allowance per month for the entry-level plan.

As for the last point, it seems you can defer the updates for a while if you wish, but eventually some will become mandatory, and if you continue to opt-out, you won't be able to use the console until you download it

And I don't plan on using XBox Live - I don't really like online gaming.

Something just for you OldF@rt, and every other xbox 360 fanatec owner

https://www.facebook.com/Fanatec/posts/720679831341349 (Fanatec)

Fanatec products on Xbox One

Landshut, Germany – 3.10.2014 – This is the announcement many people have been waiting for and we are happy to announce that Endor AG (the company behind the brand Fanatec) and Microsoft Corp. have closed a license agreement to make racing peripherals for the Xbox One.

Fanatec plans to release a broad line up of racing wheels which will fit all kind of racing styles and different budgets.

Xbox One brings the latest in innovation and power to the development of racing peripherals giving fans of Fanatec products the opportunity to play the newest Xbox One titles with full support and integration.

Available soon, fans will be able to enable Xbox One compatibility on their current Fanatec wheels by simply attaching them to a Fanatec wheel base, making their whole system compatible to Xbox One. Additional details and features will be announced soon.
Additional Fanatec peripherals like pedals, shifters or handbrakes that were purchased with an Xbox 360 will also be compatible with Xbox One. The modular configuration system in the Fanatec webshop allows you to purchase only the components you need.

Thomas Jackermeier, CEO of Endor/Fanatec: “I am very excited to announce this partnership as we have been working with Microsoft behind the scenes on new and exciting products. Xbox One and “Forza Motorsport” will continue to be a landmark of ultra-realistic racing simulations on any gaming console and we look forward to bringing this realism to a whole new level for our fans.”

Looks like everything worked out in the end.

Back