Thoughts on how Travis Pastrana might do in the WRC?

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
For those that might not be familiar with who Travis Pastrana is, he is probably most famous for his extreme motocross skills, and being the first to ever land a double backflip in competition.

He has also has a strong passion for doing extremely risky things like bungee jumping from a helicopter, base jumping, etc. Most recently he decided it would be fun to jump out of an airplane at 12,500 feet wearing only sunglasses, socks and surf trunks while holding a can of Red Bull... and that's right... no parachute!

04_pastrana_dive_h.jpg

But what many of his extreme sport fans might not know is that he is also an extremely talented and accomplished rally car driver.

He got the bug in 2003 when he was invited to participate in the 2003 Race of Champions. The following year he began driving for the Subaru-backed Vermont SportsCar rally team. After showing some really promising results, Subaru then signed him to lead their new Subaru Rally Team for the 2006 Rally America Championship series with veteran co-driver Christian Edstrom... which they easily won both the National Series Overall and Open Class Championships that year.

Also in 2006, Pastrana won the gold medal for the first Rally Car competition at the X Games after the late great Colin McRae had an amazing roll-over on his last jump and missed beating Pastrana's time by just half a second!

To close out a great year in his rally racing efforts, Pastrana then once again was invited to participate in the 2006 Race of Champions.

72837621.jpg

Pastrana nearly reversed his results from the previous year (where he was knocked out of the competition in the first round by WRC Champion, Sebastien Loeb). This year, despite not having any teammate (Jimmie Johnson and Scott Speed had to cancel due to injury) and having to run all the races himself, he finished in second place for the Nations Cup after losing a very close race against Heikki Kovalainen in the finals, whose teammate was WRC Champion Marcus Gronholm.

Currently Pastrana is in a close race this year against Andrew Pinker and his teammate Ken Block to repeat his Rally America Championships. Pastrana was well behind Pinker until his two back to back wins at the Ojibwe Forests Rally and Rally Colorado events.

Pastrana is now only four points behind Pinker and tied with his teammate Ken Block with just one race left in the series, the Lake Superior Performance Rally on October 26-27.

BTW: ESPN 2 will be showing highlights of this race in Hi-Def on Nov. 20, 2007 6pm (EST).

Given his new found talent and success in rally driving, his close friendship with Colin McRae (although now tragically cut short), and support from Subaru the question at the end of 2006 was if and when we would ever see Pastrana in a WRC event.

That question was answered in March when Subaru invited Pastrana to compete in his first World Rally Championship event at the Corona Rally in Mexico. He finished 15th overall and fifth in the PWRC (Group N) class. His finish was the best by an American in a WRC event since John Buffum finished 3rd in the Acropolis Rally in 1988.

So now the buzz is when will we see Pastrana in a full season of WRC, and possibly be the much needed catalyst to bring back American interest in the WRC, which over the years has unfortunately dwindled away.

So far nothing is officially decided. Pastrana was just interviewed by Dave Despain on SPEED TV's Windtunnel, last night and when asked about the possibility of running a full season in the WRC he avoided making any official statement, but confirmed that he intends to make every effort possible to go after the WRC in the future. 👍

So what do you all think? Will Pastrana's participation be enough to draw some much needed attention stateside to WRC? How well do you think Pastrana might do running a full season in the WRC? Is it even reasonable to consider the remote possibility he might be the first American to win the WRC?

Personally, I think his participation in WRC would mean a huge jump in American interest in WRC, and would result in a lot better coverage of WRC events here in the States. That said, and as talented as he is, I just don't think he could win the WRC... but on any given day, I wouldn't be shocked if he won at least one event. And who knows, one cannot deny the fact that he seems to succeed in every sport he goes after, and with that he has collected countless championships along the way.

One thing is for sure. Where ever Pastrana goes, exciting and thrilling moments always follow... so I personally am really looking forward to seeing what he can do in the WRC, especially if that is his only focus. 👍

In that article about the parachute less stunt, it mentions a man in Lodi,CA. haha, that where I live, and ive seen the guys at the airport here make jumps tons of times. Wow. Thats kinda cool.

He has potential,to be a great driver,heck maybe even win a couple championships. He just need to commit to his goal....That might be hard for him.

I've seen Travis drive. If he was wiling to give up everything else... He'd still be eating the top WRC driver's dust for at least the first year. He's good and getting better. I'd like to see how Patrick Richard from Canada would do in the WRC myself.

Travis would at least bring enough interest that we'd probably get to see WRC events on TV in the US again. Yay!

I've seen Travis drive. If he was wiling to give up everything else... He'd still be eating the top WRC driver's dust for at least the first year. He's good and getting better. I'd like to see how Patrick Richard from Canada would do in the WRC myself.

Travis would at least bring enough interest that we'd probably get to see WRC events on TV in the US again. Yay!

WRC isn't doing so great in Europe at the moment either. A big name like Pastrana, irrelevant to whether he's any good or not, can only be a good thing for the sport. Added to the fact that he's a big name in a very 'youth' orientated sport would undoubtably introduce a whole new ordinance to a sport they probably know very little about.

Currently Pastrana is in a close race this year against Andrew Pinker and his teammate Ken Block to repeat his Rally America Championships. Pastrana was well behind Pinker until his two back to back wins at the Ojibwe Forests Rally and Rally Colorado events.

Pastrana is now only four points behind Pinker and tied with his teammate Ken Block with just one race left in the series, the Lake Superior Performance Rally on October 26-27.

BTW: ESPN 2 will be showing highlights of this race in Hi-Def on Nov. 20, 2007 6pm (EST).

What a great race! Congrats to Pastrana for winning his second, and back to back Rally America Championships!

👍

I think he would do very well in WRC. He needs to stay in Rally America for a few more years. Yes he is beating all of the competition, but he also has the most money backing his car out of any other sponsored or private team. There still is a lot to learn. I would consider him still new to the sport as opposed to a lot of WRC drivers who grew up on farms and hill sides sliding cars all over.

When the SCCA Pro Rally was backed by the manufacturers, it was very popular in the USA, with the big name drivers of Mark Lovell (RIP), Rhys Millen, David Higgins and Lauchlin O'Sullivan. As the manufacturers started dropping out, so did the sponsors and TV coverage. It was a little slow going when Rally America picked the series up, as they have been rebuilding year by year and doing a great job, with the addition of Pastrana and Block, I have seen the sponsors, TV coverage and popularity slowing coming back to the sport here in the USA. I think he is great for the sport of Rally and has helped out the popularity.

I like so many others have begun to lose faith, and dare I say interest in the sport since we have next to no coverage here in the states. I still get my updates from the WRC folks, but it's not the same as seeing it live, and covereage on Speed, which has sadly been overwraught, and over run with NASCAR coverage.

I look forward to the return of Rallying here in the states! (and the omission of 5 second penalties in Gran Turismo rally races. arrrrrgh! )

He has also has a strong passion for doing extremely risky things like bungee jumping from a helicopter, base jumping, etc. Most recently he decided it would be fun to jump out of an airplane at 12,500 feet wearing only sunglasses, socks and surf trunks while holding a can of Red Bull... and that's right... no parachute!
Red Bull gives you wings!

OK... so besides winning the Rally America Championship for the third year in a row, as well as yet another Gold medal for the Rally event at the 2008 X-Games, racing in the Colin McRae Forest Stages Rally during the Scottish Rally Championship, and beating Tanner Foust to win the first race of the 2009 Rally America season, the Sno*Drift National Rally.

What else has he been up to lately?

How about doing a backflip on a Big Wheel off a 100 foot ramp... and landing it!

:eek:

Last edited:
Judging by his footage in the Nitro Circus films I would say he may get a few good results but mostly end up crashing. Awsome guy though.

I was thinking abiut this thread a while back and wondering if Travis did run those PWRC events and how he performed. Anyone know? This thread was pretty much ignored for a year. We get so little rally coverage on TV now.

Judging by his footage in the Nitro Circus films I would say he may get a few good results but mostly end up crashing. Awsome guy though.

That's what's amazing as well... that he can take so much physical abuse, and still keeps pushing the enevlope:

[/media]

Here is more detailed footage from his epic crash in his first Rally of Colorado:

"Are you alive?"

You know it's an epic crash when you have to ask that! :eek:

He of course went on to dominate that Rally in later years

Travis Pastrana, possibly the luckiest and most physically durable person of modern times. Seriously, I've watched a bunch of video of his escapades, can't imagine how much longer he will continue to be a walking, talking member of society but I will enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

As far as racing rally cars, I think it's perfect for him and he'd be competitive anywhere, in any series. Travis was (is) regarded as the best on a dirt bike, but it never translated to victories and championships in MotoX racing-most of his legend comes from his skills as a freerider and on the ramps. He seemed almost to get bored when racing, fast laps were not enough and he just went too far, too many times. Injured and inconsistent.

Rallying is different-every turn is new, and being fast is a combination of balls and smarts-both things Pastrana has in spades. The unpredictability of rally courses seems to leave him no time to decide to do stupid things like backflip (and crash, and lose) just before he was about to win his first Motocross race. He is still more than capable of pushing too hard and stuffing it in the woods, but do any of you remember John Buffum?

As a side note, Travis' rally cars are built just around the corner from me at Vermont Sports Car, a business started, I do believe, by the aforementioned Stuffum Buffum. Anyone interested in the history of rally racing in the US should check out "In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Lion, the Story of John Buffum" by Tom Grimshaw. Fantastic book not just about Buffum but the whole rallying scene in the US from the 1960's to the '80's. If you can't find it I can probably get one for you.

I don't think John Buffum started Vermont Sports Car, but they do have close ties. Vermont Sports Car often competed against Buffum's Libra Racing. Both are the some of the finest rally car builders in North America. I understand JB still gets behind the wheel once in a while and shows them how it's done.

I don't think John Buffum started Vermont Sports Car, but they do have close ties. Vermont Sports Car often competed against Buffum's Libra Racing. Both are the some of the finest rally car builders in North America. I understand JB still gets behind the wheel once in a while and shows them how it's done.

That sounds about right, I always get the places mixed up, thanks.

on the first clip of one of those videos, i was thinking 'what moron is shouting WAHHOOO when they could've died?'

Then the next clip showed it was Travis... :lol:

Quite a nasty crash, but epic crash of the year award goes to Jari Latvala, with this horrific incident.

It's not often that your glad you hit a tree, but it almost certainly saved there life.

:eek:

I know this thread hasn't been bumped in a while but WRC coverage is coming to the US thanks to Discovery. HD Theater will being broadcasting WRC starting in October with coverage of all 3 days, preview and highlight shows.

I am also in the camp that would love to see Travis Pastrana get in to the WRC. I am sure he is getting bored with dominating Rally-America.

I know this thread hasn't been bumped in a while but WRC coverage is coming to the US thanks to Discovery. HD Theater will being broadcasting WRC starting in October with coverage of all 3 days, preview and highlight shows.

I am also in the camp that would love to see Travis Pastrana get in to the WRC. I am sure he is getting bored with dominating Rally-America.

I watched Travis a couple of weeks ago at the "New England Forest Rally". Ken Block did a heck of a job keeping Travis from getting bored. Pastrana had to work his way past Block ad won by a small margin. Me and my kids met up with Travis after the finish for an autograph and picture. Nice guy too.

The only way to start winning in WRC is to get in as early as possible the more experience he gets the better his chances. He just has to mature as a rally driver and I'm sure he will be eating a lot of dust in the process. Although you can not deny his talent.

Back