Time Trial Mountain Board : every road car from the game tested [793 cars]

• Thread starter GT_Alex74
  • 204 comments
To be honest, the main issue with the Taurus is the gearbox. And the handling. The gear ratios are way too long and too far distanced from each other. And I wouldn't call it the most balanced FF car I've ever driven... The engine is alright, but the gearbox really drags it down.

Also, interesting bit about the FTO's LSD settings, guess PD just copy-pasted them into the other versions and called it a day. Still, they're great cars, true FF sports cars (especially that Version R, great Integra rival). And since they're improved Standard cars, at least they aren't horrifying to look at...

To be honest, the main issue with the Taurus is the gearbox. And the handling. The gear ratios are way too long and too far distanced from each other. And I wouldn't call it the most balanced FF car I've ever driven... The engine is alright, but the gearbox really drags it down.

Spot on. Getting a V8 on front wheels always proved to be a bad idea anyway... that's probably why Jay Leno converted the Toronado to RWD.

they aren't horrifying to look at...

You mean they are pant hardening (at least IRL) ! Give them some Advan RG-II and they are perfect.

Spot on. Getting a V8 on front wheels always proved to be a bad idea anyway... that's probably why Jay Leno converted the Toronado to RWD.

A wise idea, indeed. But the old Taurus SHO was a nice enough car. Yamaha tuned V6? Heck yeah, I'd take that for a spin, just to listen to it.

You mean they are pant hardening (at least IRL) ! Give them some Advan RG-II and they are perfect.

I meant the graphical quality ingame (many Standard cars look horrible graphics-wise, but the FTOs are incredibly tidy and could almost pass as Premium cars if they had a rendered interior). I do like their design IRL, they are one of the most unique coupes ever made. In white? Even better...

The first two generations of Taurus SHO are excellent. Not sure why PD thought it a better idea to include the third gen...

I've always wondered why the USA only got the Eclipse and not the FTO. I much prefer the FTO...

The first two generations of Taurus SHO are excellent. Not sure why PD thought it a better idea to include the third gen...

This one is because PD...

I've always wondered why the USA only got the Eclipse and not the FTO. I much prefer the FTO...

And this because Japan. We at Europe also were stuck with the Eclipse, it didn't help feeling bad after I discovered the existence of the FTO...

I think the Japaneses didn't even thought of producing LHD versions. Some FTOs were officially exported to UK due to high demand and a pretty high number of grey imports, but that's all for Europe.

Fortunately, some guys are producing LHD dashboards, which means I can seriously think of dailying one :D

http://unqshop.com/mitsubishi-fto-dashboard-european-lhd-,f,11,number,570206

Not much updates this last week since I'm working on a project with some guys to create a racing series for GT6, inspired from various touring car championships, such as WTCC, BTCC, Super Taikyu and various promotional series. I'm throwing it in here as some of you may find interest in that, and I hope you'll enjoy.

Here, all the cars have sport soft tires, and have full suspension and transmission tuning. The other specs are defined specifically for each car. 1st sheet (Base) is the whole bunch of cars tested, tuned to be as close as possible to 4,5kg/ch or 4,0kg/ch according to the category aimed at, while 2nd sheet (Ajusté) is a more restricted selection, with adjustments made to some cars to balance them with the others.

I don't think I'll recalculate the acceleration figures for each, as it really takes a lot of time with MoTeC i2 Pro. I prefer to use this time to run them a couple laps on another track maybe.

So, I have selected 8 cars for each class, which means you can run a full lobby with both classes, or run one class with 2 cars teams.

I should get back onto road cars with real tires this week ;)

Attachments

• Touring_Cars-ENG.xlsx
    32 KB · Views: 17
One thing I've felt with the majority of cars I've driven in this game is an unusually high amount of understeer in stock trim, especially on corner entry.
This has been occurring even with cars that have better tyres (like SS or RH) fitted as standard (note: I use a DS3/Stick).

Have you felt a similar pattern of handling with the cars you've tested so far?

Sorry again for the lack of news, but I've been incredibly busy those last weeks. Hope I'll have more time from now on to test cars.

Today's bringing the following cars :

Opel Corsa Comfort 1.4
Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 3.0R
Subaru Legacy B4 3.0R
Subaru Legacy B4 RSK
Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GT-B
Subaru Legacy B4 Blitzen
Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT spec.B
Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT
Subaru Legacy B4 2.0GT
Subaru Legacy B4 2.0GT spec.B
Ford RS200
Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium
Ford Mustang GT

One thing I've felt with the majority of cars I've driven in this game is an unusually high amount of understeer in stock trim, especially on corner entry.
This has been occurring even with cars that have better tyres (like SS or RH) fitted as standard (note: I use a DS3/Stick).

Have you felt a similar pattern of handling with the cars you've tested so far?

First of all, the DS3, even with the stick, is probably the main reason for that feeling you have. If you have the opportunity, try or buy a wheel (DFGTs are cheap and already a huge improvement over the pad).

Grippy tyres usually gives some understeer. That's why settings on race cars and tuned cars must be changed according to the type of tyre you're using (that's even more true for real life).

For stock road cars, you want to use comfort softs at best. In GT6, ABS can also contribute to entry-understeer on some cars. That's why I highly recommend to run cars that have no ABS in real life without ABS in the game. Even with a rear brake bias reduced to 3, the cars usually tuck in a little bit better with ABS off.

Now, I have to say on a few cars, the stock alignement and suspension settings seems a bit weird, and that's noticeable. But all the cars I have driven fast in real life felt incredibly close in the game, and I think, along with the Lacombe brothers, that GT6 (with downgraded tires) might be still better than Assetto Corsa for stock road cars (though when it comes to tuned / race cars, there are clearly too much unrealistic points on GT6 for it to compete).

Update :

- Cars added :

Ford Mustang Mach 1
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R
Ford Mustang Boss 302
Ford Shelby GT500
Ford GT40 Mark I
Ford GT Concept
Ford GT '06
Ford GT '05
Lexus IS F
BMW M3 Coupé (E92)
BMW M3 Coupé Chrome Line (E92)

- I noticed a small issue in the Excel file due to copy-pasting formulas which made the English language table to keep the PP related stuff sorted as it was on the French language table. This is corrected now, so you can sort it out by any criteria independently on each table.

Killcount = 11

BSq0ZDS.jpg

I'm not sure we're fitting in the definition of safety right now...

So, update of the day brings :

BMW M4 Coupé / M Performance Edition
BMW M3 (E46)
BMW M3 CSL (E46)
BMW M3 GTR (E46)
Honda Integra Type-R DC2 '95
Honda Integra Type-R DC2 '98
Honda Integra Type-R DC2 '99

The cheat indicator's going high today !

Love me some DC2!

I found the '99 to be a little slower through the corners at Laguna Seca due to its 20 kg heavier mass, but it has other qualities that make it quicker overall.

I'm sure I've seen 1080kg for '98 and '99, and 1060 for '95. The later versions felt a bit more sharp, and had a better 1-2-3 ratios, but worse 4-5 ratios : 4th and 5th gears from the 95 onto the '99 would make for an awesome car and at least another 0,5 second cutoff. That all comes accurate with the Best Motoring team conclusions and Spoon's recommendations.

Also, the Acura DC2 is about 1 second behind the JDM '95 DC2.

Here comes the Yutaka Katayama hommage update, with plenty of Z's (and a VGT). Some duplicates Z32 and Z33, checked the technical bits on those who seemed similar, even ran a quick lap for all of them and ended up grouping some, so here's the list :

Nissan Fairlady Z 280Z-L 2 seater (S130)
Nissan Fairlady / 240ZG (HS30)
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31)
Nissan Fairlady 300ZX Version R / 300ZX 2+2 (Z32)
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Version S / 300ZX 2 seater '98 (Z32)
Nissan 300ZX 2seater '89
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TwinTurbo 2 seater (Z32)
Nissan Fairlady Z / 350Z Roadster (Z33)
Nissan Fairlady Z Version ST (Z33 Option Wheel)
Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) '02
Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) '07
Nissan 350Z
Nissan Fairlady Z / 370Z (Z34)
Mini Clubman Vision Gran Turismo

The '03 EU/US 350Z totally destroys the others, weighting 100kg less than any of the regular Z33. I'm not really sure you'll be able to find a stock 350Z that light in real life though... the other ones have it right, according to what's advertised on various sources, but really, 1320kg for a factory Z33 seems to be fantasy. Guess with so much duplicates, its kind of harder to spot mistakes...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, it seems like we reached the 400 cars mark, which means we should take a look at the current stae of our tops and flops !

Top 10 "real street cars" :

McLaren MP4-12C
McLaren F1
Ford GT '05
Ford GT '06

Ferrari Enzo
Ferrari 458 Italia
Nissan GT-R Nismo
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6)
Light Car Company Rocket
Jaguar XJ220

Two new entries in here with the modern Ford GTs ! Those offer plenty of power, but they manage to be relatively easy for their class, especially the '06 one (although I prefer the '05). McLaren are still not bothered, though.

Top 10 "cheated cars" :

Lotus Elise 111 R (S2) > +66 (gains 1)
Amuse S2000 R1 > +46 (gains 1)
Lotus Elise Type 72 (S2) > +44 (stable)
Ferrari Dino 246 GT > +41 (loses 1)
Lotus Elise (S1) > +40 (stable)
Lotus Elise 111 S (S2) > +36 (loses 1)
MG F > +35 (loses 6)

ASL Garaiya > +35 (loses 1)

Tommykaira ZZ-II > +35 (stable)
Volkswagen GTI Roadster VGT > +33 (stable)

Mostly position changes here, with the VW VGT returning because of the Esprit 350's massive loss of positions. The MGF gives up on two spots and 6 points. A lot of cars with great positive adjustments being tested recently, the tendency goes towards losing a point, but the 111R still grows up - which is really impressive considering that the M3 E46s came in the +/- 1 second range used to calculate the new PPs. It even reached +67 PP at one point, before testing those BMWs. Will something stop the 111R hunger ?

Flop 10 :

Jay Leno's 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado > -115 (improves of 2)
Buick Special "Bu'Wicked" > -89 (stable)
Mercedes SL 65 AMG (R230) > -87 (worse by 1)
Mercedes SL 600 (R230) > -71 (worse by 1)
Cizeta V16T > -66 (stable)
Citroën GT Concept > -54 (stable)
Chevrolet Silverado SST > -53 (stable)
Ford Shelby GT500 > -52
Mercedes SL 55 AMG (R230) > -50 (stable)
Caterham Seven Fireblade > -50 (stable)

The Lotus Carlton gets out of the flop thanks to a 1 point change and a new entry : the modern Shelby GT500. That car has a lot of power... sadly, it's too much for it, and most of it will transform either in rotations (not wheel rotation, more like rear rotating around the front), smoke or fear most of the time. This will make you sweat.

100 more cars and we'll hit the 500 mark ! I'll try to make a few improvements to the Excel file if time allows me to by then.

Decided to have a bit of fun and troll... I mean, do an experiment with Bobby Speck. I made him drive the Elise 111R, then the Toronado on Cape Ring (the full layout). Of course, bone stock on comfort softs (both with an oil change this time, though), and on the intermediate rythm (making him go full power made him crash and drift too much with the Toronado while he didn't mind with the Lotus, the match wasn't even fair).

On Trial Mountain, I ran the Elise in 01:37,981 and the Toronado in 01:38,386.
Bobby Speck ran them respectively in 3:27,297 and 3:27,156 on Cape Ring.

Reminder : there's a 175 PP difference between those two :D

Update :

BMW Z4
BMW 330i
BMW Z3 M Coupé
BMW 135i Coupé
BMW Concept 1 Series tii
BMW Z4 M Coupé
BMW Z8
Honda S2000 '06
Honda S2000 '99 / '01
Honda S2000 Type V '00 / '01
Honda S2000 Type V '03
Honda S2000 '03 / '04
Mugen S2000
Spoon S2000
Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
Cadillac Cien

About the S2Ks : same as the Zs before, I looked for the apparently identical ones, ran one of them and then just checked if the following felt the same. I ended up narrowing the factory ones down to 5 different specs. Fun fact : the Mugen and the Amuse Street Version are nearly in the same times than the stock version they're based on - the Mugen being easier to drive, the Amuse much harder.

Also, next time I drive something like the Cien, I think I'll record myself with a Go-Pro. This thing has just enough traction to catapult you out of corners, and just lacks enough of that to remain straight in the process. And of course, if you don't want to let the throttle off, you have to play with the wheel :D

Update :

High End Performance G37
Nismo Fairlady Z S-tune concept by Gran Turismo (Z33)
Nismo Fairlady Z Z-tune (Z33)
Abarth 1500 Biposto Bertone B.A.T 1
Faaaaaast... I mean, KTM X-BOW Street
KTM "my brain was smashed inside my skull due to the G-forces" X-BOW R

Yeah, I'm wondering if there's still a car out there that can do it. I really wondered with the X-BOW R when I saw the cornering speeds. The final S can be taken at 190 km/h with that, while the average is usually around 160 km/h :lol:

Update :

Alpine Vision Gran Turismo
Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT '95
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT '06
Infiniti Concept Vision Gran Turismo
Nissan Concept 2020 Vision Gran Turismo

* Yeah, I totally did the Eclipses today only for the joke, which is almost as rubbish as the two older models. The later has an awesome chassis, but it looks like 4th and 5th gears are trying to simulate an eclipse themselves (go check the graph in game, you'll understand).
* The Alpine VGT was the first car to go under 1:30 here. I was sad to destroy its lap by more than a second with the Nissan VGT, but I don't care. The Alpine is RWD, NA, light, fun, it's still the best. Take a Nissan VGT, make it RWD and NA, and you have a tur... I mean, an Infinity VGT.
* Activating the KERS manually between two connected corners deserves its own sport. An automatic KERS management, like the one on the LaFerrari, would have been very useful.

Wow the '06 Eclipse is only a tenth slower than the Scion FR-S. I guess it makes sense. The car is heavy as hell but it has a massive V6. And yeah the gearing is definitely a bit strange. I wonder if that's how it is on the real car.

Latest Posts

Back