Tires permanently screeching (comforts)

• Thread starter Morphisor
  • 49 comments
RE070 also fitted on Nissan GTR in IRL as stock tire and GT5 is not the same as GT6 - the tire grip are vastly different, now comfort tires are grippier than in GT5, and it should be comfort soft in GT6.

Here are just my rough estimation :

Similar to RE070 and below - passenger car tires -comfort in GT6:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

michelin-pilot-sport-ps2_lg.jpg

Direzza DZ101

dunlop_direzza_dz101_lg.jpg

Potenza RE50

bridgestone_potenza_re050a_lg.jpg

Advan Neova Sport V105

yokohama-salone-di-ginevra-2013-01.jpg

TOYO Proxes 4 Plus :

Toyo-Proxes4Plus_lg.jpg

NITTO Neo Gen
nitto_neoGen_lg.jpg

Advan S drive :

yokohama_sdrive_lg.jpg

This might be similar to comfort medium :

Michelin Pilot Sport AS2 - comparable tires : Potenza RE960 and EAGLE F1 All Season
michelin-pilot-sport-as3_lg.jpg

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

goodyear-EagleF1-Asymmetric2_lg.jpg

Comfort Hard equivalent, similar fitted to stock GT86 and variety of hatcback and sedan :

Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring
goodyear-assurance-comfortred-touring_lg.jpg

Sports Hard would be : ( semi slick style street legal tires )

Michelin P Zero Sliver

pirelli-PZERO-Silver_LG.jpg

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

dunlop_direzza_z1_lg.jpg

Neova AD07

t_yhad07.gif

Maybe Sports Medium :

Michelin Super Sport

Michelin-PilotSuperSport_lg.jpg

Potenza RE11

Bridgestone_Potenza_RE-11_lg.jpg

Neova AD08R Time Attack ( sports medium )

Neova-AD08R-Tsk-TA-05.jpg

Dunlop Direzza ZII

dunlop-DirezzaZ2_lg.jpg

I drove many tuned/ high power car in GT6 on comfort medium and soft, and their cornering speed and traction seems to be realistic.

Last edited:
I've noticed that with various cars myself. Tires still screeching even when halfway down a straightway and obviously the car can't still be spinning them at 150 mph. It's pretty darned annoying.

Dear good God I seriously hope they sort this out, and soon. Tyres always make a noise when they are under flexion and stress. They only screech when they exceed their grip limit. Beneath that limit, it's a slightly audible dull whoosh noise. It's not just on comforts though. Racing slicks screech far, far too readily also. The very sound of the screeching is unrealistic too - it's like they've taken the sample directly from a PS1 game. Remember that arcade race game OutRun? In which you score points doing massive long drifts collecting hearts, Sonic-style? That made less of a screech that GT6.

Lawndart, thanks again for all the info & pointers Mate, & you've no idea how much I'd like to take you up on your offer to volunteer on your team or get some instruction on the track, but I unfortunately live on the other side of the world. Were I a single man, I'd probably be booking a flight right now, but I've a wife and 7-month old son that need me here.

I currently own a WRX that was originally bought with the intention of hitting the track on occasion, but the car is my daily drive, & a mainly stock WRX isn't really well equipped to go to the track and belt out some laps without potentially incurring some problems ( STI's are a different story ). It's a case of either spending money on it to get it track ready, or spending money on it if, or as, things break, & at this stage in my life I don't have the money for either unfortunately. So, I spend silly amounts of time on Gran Turismo & researching all things automotive online, the next best hobby I guess! :)

It sounds like you've got a heck of an interesting life, I'm pretty envious! :) Take care & thanks.
I was exactly where you are back in 05'. Got married, wife said no more bike racing so I bought a reposesed 04 350z to turn into a race car... The car was perfect with only 4k miles then one month later my wife was pregnant. Car went in storage, also had another kid, just started driving the z a couple years ago so it only has 29k miles...

I eventually got back into racing in more recent years. I've raced Subaru's, great platform and the engine can take more abuse than you can imagine. My last race was an 24 hour endurance at Infinion the day after GT 6 was released... It was in a wrx wagon! Funny how I wanted to play the game while I was out racing in a field of 170 cars...

The enigma that is wrx is that if you pull the front drive parts out the car is ungodly fast and light. It's almost cheating!

I'm contemplating moving to the UK and have to figure out how to transfer all my licenses and what not... But my point is you're never to old to race but you need to make it happen... It's not unlike having kids, if you try and plan for them perfectly then you might never have them. I visited the Nurburgring when I was on business in Europe, that was a leading catalyst to get my butt in gear... Do it if you are over there and your wrx is the perfect car for it.

I race regularly at the club level with a guy who is 87... I asked him one day what his family thought and he answered me like a kid, he said; "better to go out putting the car into the wall than dieing slowly in pain like everyone else my age..." He became my hero...

I have done a lot in life and achived more than a group of any ten people and its because I had problems as a kid... Adversity, and the determination to not sucob to it is a hell of a motivator... When you have nothing, everything is opportunity. But to be perfectly fair? All I know how to do is make video games and race... And all the things associated with them... I'm pretty useless at everything else. You have to pay to play and not just monetarily.

Oops, I'm dialoging on a forum... Sorry about that, but I'm a huge supporter of bringing gaming and auto sport closer together and that sometimes means encourage one to go one way or the other... That applies to anyone here or else ware. In the US autosport it not nearly as healthy as it once was... Perhaps we need to bring back the rum runners...

Perhaps my next opportunity will be making a company that merges autosport and games unlike anything we have today, like everyone here, I'm still waiting for the FIFA of auto sports games and that's just half of the equation... Any ideas? Oops, that's a thread hijack...

Tire squealing... Nope, got nothing else to say about that...

I would go on to say that the Dunlop Direzza ZII is a comfort soft tire, maaaybe sport hard. I had that tire on my S2000, I have these now http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus R-S3&partnum=245WR5Z222 and the amount of grip they provide is very similar to comfort soft/sport hards in the game. In real life a stock S2000 with RS-3's does 1:24's on streets of Willow. I can go 1:23's in the game on comfort softs, given that you can push a lot harder in the game than in real life I'm guessing it's about accurate to assume extreme summer tires to be comfort softs, maybe sport hards. So all you people thinking you're doing it sim style racing cars with sport softs, I got news for you, ya ain't.

Sport medium tires is the equivalent of what rally cars use on tarmac stages.

Last edited:
All
RE070 also fitted on Nissan GTR in IRL as stock tire and GT5 is not the same as GT6 - the tire grip are vastly different, now comfort tires are grippier than in GT5, and it should be comfort soft in GT6.

Here are just my rough estimation :

Similar to RE070 and below - passenger car tires -comfort in GT6:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

michelin-pilot-sport-ps2_lg.jpg

Direzza DZ101

dunlop_direzza_dz101_lg.jpg

Potenza RE50

bridgestone_potenza_re050a_lg.jpg

Advan Neova Sport V105

yokohama-salone-di-ginevra-2013-01.jpg

TOYO Proxes 4 Plus :

Toyo-Proxes4Plus_lg.jpg

NITTO Neo Gen
nitto_neoGen_lg.jpg

Advan S drive :

yokohama_sdrive_lg.jpg

This might be similar to comfort medium :

Michelin Pilot Sport AS2 - comparable tires : Potenza RE960 and EAGLE F1 All Season
michelin-pilot-sport-as3_lg.jpg

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

goodyear-EagleF1-Asymmetric2_lg.jpg

Comfort Hard equivalent, similar fitted to stock GT86 and variety of hatcback and sedan :

Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring
goodyear-assurance-comfortred-touring_lg.jpg

Sports Hard would be : ( semi slick style street legal tires )

Michelin P Zero Sliver

pirelli-PZERO-Silver_LG.jpg

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

dunlop_direzza_z1_lg.jpg

Neova AD07

t_yhad07.gif

Maybe Sports Medium / Soft :

Michelin Super Sport

Michelin-PilotSuperSport_lg.jpg

Potenza RE11

Bridgestone_Potenza_RE-11_lg.jpg

Neova AD08R Time Attack ( probably sports soft - designed for track use but can be used on the street ? )

Neova-AD08R-Tsk-TA-05.jpg

Dunlop Direzza ZII

dunlop-DirezzaZ2_lg.jpg

I drove many tuned/ high power car in GT6 on comfort medium and soft, and their cornering speed and traction seems to be realistic.
All these tires are majority CS CM no more than SH in my opinion. If the tire cannot be shaved it cannot be a SM SS also in my opinion. I like what you did here though bro.

All
All these tires are majority CS no more than SH in my opinion. If the tire cannot be shaved it cannot be a SM SS also in my opinion.

Well, I disagree :) I have seen cars equipped with the likes of AD08R, and their grip/cornering capabilities are close to SH or SM IMO. The HKS Time Attack car for example, the CT230R, IRL it has Advan A050 R spec Semi Slick ( soft compound ) when it sets the time record, that would be Sports Soft, again just my 2 cents. You can try to drive the HKS in GT6 with SS tire and see if the lap time is close to the record time at Tsukuba - 53.589s :D
Yoko_A0501.gif

And the lower tier : Advan A048 -Street Legal would seem to be Sports Hard / Medium

img6835op9.jpg

And the Toyo Proxes R888

r888.jpg

So, the Yokohama Advan A0 series are basically Sports tire in GT6 :D

Last edited:
Well, I disagree :) I have seen cars equipped with the likes of AD08R, and their grip/cornering capabilities are close to SH or SM IMO. The HKS Time Attack car for example, the CT230R, IRL it has Advan A050 R spec Semi Slick ( soft compound ) when it sets the time record, that would be Sports Soft, again just my 2 cents. You can try to drive the HKS in GT6 with SS tire and see if the lap time is close to the record time at Tsukuba - 53.589s :D
Yoko_A0501.gif

And the lower tier : Advan A048 -Street Legal would seem to be Sports Hard / Medium

img6835op9.jpg

And the Toyo Proxes R888

r888.jpg

I was skeptical at first but I decided to give it a go and use CS.
You're right, there is much more grip compared to GT5 and they are very similar to SH.
All cars feel more realistic you really have to be focused if you want to drive fast in the corners.
I think I'll probably change my scale for tires so I it might be:
- Comfort Soft for hot hatches, sports cars and supercars.
- Sport Hard for the equivalent of Cup Tires (such as those optionals on the Corvette ZR1)
- Sport Medium for Semi-Slicks.
What do you think?

Yoko_A0501.gif

img6835op9.jpg

And the Toyo Proxes R888

r888.jpg

I agree with you, but I might have not been clear enough. The tires you have shown A050, A048, and the R888 can all be shaved down to give the driver a softer compound. So yes buying these tires in stock hard compound form they would resemble SH in GT6 in my opinion. They also can be SM SS depending on the shave. The AD08R cannot be shaved down so the would only be SH tires in GT6.

I was skeptical at first but I decided to give it a go and use CS.
You're right, there is much more grip compared to GT5 and they are very similar to SH.
All cars feel more realistic you really have to be focused if you want to drive fast in the corners.
I think I'll probably change my scale for tires so I it might be:
- Comfort Soft for hot hatches, sports cars and supercars.
- Sport Hard for the equivalent of Cup Tires (such as those optionals on the Corvette ZR1)
- Sport Medium for Semi-Slicks.
What do you think?

That would be a good start :) Personally, I fitted comfort medium on street cars above 210HP, comfort hard for old cars or modern cars with less than 210HP, comfort soft for cars that won' drive realistically on medium - compared to real life OEM tire :) SH tires for limited cars with semi slick style tires from factory - usually over 600HP, SM and SS for racing of course - can be fitted to any car for that purpose. I fitted realistic tires when I want to enjoy realistic driving experience, usually cruising, tuning/testing and just relaxed time trial ( track day ).

I agree with you, but I might have not been clear enough. The tires you have shown A050, A048, and the R888 can all be shaved down to give the driver a softer compound. So yes buying these tires in stock hard compound form they would resemble SH in GT6 in my opinion. They also can be SM SS depending on the shave. The AD08R cannot be shaved down so the would only be SH tires in GT6.

I see :) I rarely use sports tire, depend on the occasion, only when the need arises I do use them.

I used the Shelby Daytona in the 24min Spa and my tyres screeched from start to finish. Even on the straight @98% wet track and using IM full wets.

I've found my solution to screeching tires. I turn the game sound off and listen to Music Choice on cable.

I've always used manual, but one of the things I tried to win the shifter kart race at GT Arena with was an auto trans., and it helped. So I tried testing a lot of cars in manual and auto at Tsukuba. Half the cars were a little slower in auto, half were a little faster in auto. So between the loud tires and less than desirable engine sounds, I said the heck with it, lets listen to some music. Truth is, I've been enjoying myself more.

(approx tire classifications)

If I may quibble, both the Z1 Star Spec and ZII should be the same classification. They have the same UTQG treadwear rating and are selling to the same segment. The ZII is only a little bit grippier in testing. I would consider both to be SH.

For the rest of your questions I'll answer with real world experience but keep in mind, I'm not at all considering "comfort" tires or anything with 200 rated tread wear (even though I just ran an endurance race with those earlier this month).

Personally, I think it would "make sense" for SH to correspond to the 180-200 UTQG treadwear segment: Dunlop Direzza ZII, BFG Rivals, Falken Azenis RT615K, etc.

Then SM would be somewhere around the 100-140 TW segment, and SS would be the super-low treadwear DOT tires with TW ~40.

I don't know that PD actually did it this way, but it's what would make the most sense to me.

I run many series but my exp with spec Miata (scca) might be the most relevant to this discussion. We can choose from 2 spec manufactures; Hoosiers or Toyo. I run 2 Toyo versions, the first RA1s (sport hard) and I have tire rack shave them prior to shipping (semi slick but still a harder compound - sport medium) the second are Toyo RR a proper slick but harder compound than a race tire, slightly softer than the RA 1 (sport soft).

My sense is that you're covering too narrow of a range between your SH and SS.

That said, I may be overly influenced by my performance driving experience, which is almost entirely in the 180-200 TW segment.

If I may quibble, both the Z1 Star Spec and ZII should be the same classification. They have the same UTQG treadwear rating and are selling to the same segment. The ZII is only a little bit grippier in testing. I would consider both to be SH.

Personally, I think it would "make sense" for SH to correspond to the 180-200 UTQG treadwear segment: Dunlop Direzza ZII, BFG Rivals, Falken Azenis RT615K, etc.

Then SM would be somewhere around the 100-140 TW segment, and SS would be the super-low treadwear DOT tires with TW ~40.

I don't know that PD actually did it this way, but it's what would make the most sense to me.

My sense is that you're covering too narrow of a range between your SH and SS.

That said, I may be overly influenced by my performance driving experience, which is almost entirely in the 180-200 TW segment.
Perhaps, but I race competitively on TW 200 tires as well as they are required for some of the more off-beat endurance series. But the comparison gets too broad as tires can be lumped in dozens of categories and I have to keep reminding myself this is about a game.

The audible sound indicator is the key point I was supporting but in the context of reality I scrub the living daylights out of a TW 200 and your right, they "wush" much more than squeal... Squealing of tires can also be an indication of angle, for instance any angle beyond the slip angle gets progressively nosier... A 90° slide just howls like a banshee (in GT that sound appears to be just exceeding the slip angle) GT just appears to have narrowed that envelope so we can audibly have an indication of grip, while still having grip... Or reaching lose of grip...

But all things being said, I think we are all trying to narrow done some standards for comparison, I just think noise as it's modeled in the game should be a prominent indicator.

I've always pondered this. I think we should break the comfort tires down by tire width in millimeters.
CH - whatever-195
CM - 195-225
CS - 225-whatever
say if you have a maad sports car with 225/45/17 tires, then CS or CM should do. if its a maad little old british car or maybe a kei car with 155/80/13s on it, then CH will be accurate. However, the higher tier supercars deserve the "sports" tires, due to them basically being semislicks.
if any of you could help make this more accurate, please do so.

Comfort tyres represent all road legal tyres including road legal semi slicks.. (semi obviously being CS, tyres with semi slick shoulder CM, and cheap sports tyres CH

Sports tyres represent non road legal semis and (racing semi slicks) and slick tyres..

Racing tyres should only be used by Formulas - seriously no such real world grip for normal cars!!

>>I have more than 500 laps with R888 Hard Compound absolutely no way they are SH.. <<

Ofcourse it all depends on the manufacturer so 1 tyre up or down is ok, softer compounds of a given tyre make for a tyre up in Gt6 as well..

Last edited:
Screeching is very good now guys. When just on the limit you clearly hear the tire but not too loudly as before 1.14. Only when tire slides (blocks in braking, drifting or spinning) screeching is too loud. A vast difference which was a must for GT6. Nice job there even if it was done 1 year later than when it should.

Talk about getting off-topic :lol: But it was definitely a great read 👍 Learned a couple of things.

Still; the point is cars shouldn't make their tires screetch in a straight line at constant speed. There is something wrong with the game. Period.

Interesting that this topic got dug up again. Almost exactly a year old now and I must say I find it remarkable there has not been more comment on this particular phenomenon. It is very noticeable with older cars, especially if you increase their power.

1. Tyres do not generate any real "grip" (to provide an acceleration) without a degree of slip. Check wheel speeds in the telemetry.

2. This was clearly an error in the tyre sound controller settings: the slip threshold for fading in the light load / slip sound is too low.

Back