To Shift or not to Shift

Saw a couple of gameplay vids of NFS Shift 2...

Gotta say I'm absolutely blown away by the engine sounds as well as the cockpit/helmet cam.

Would any of you "serious sim nuts" recommend getting it?

If the physics are half realistic, I'm getting it. How's the X360 version?

I'd say rent it first, but I do enjoy the game. I especially love the licensing for FIA GT1 and GT3, albeit from 2010, but hey, V8 powered GT-R!

Visually it's very exciting, sound-wise it's fantastic, and the track selection is amazing 👍

But the physics, AI awareness and wheel response is completely 🤬. Also, the menu music makes me want to slit my wrists.

Oh man, it's...rough.

Other than the driving, it's pretty nifty. The track selection is superb, the nighttime lighting effects are cool, the car selection is pretty good, and all of your purchases function like a budget (you can get all of your money back). On the surface, it's a good game.

However, the physics are a wobbly unplayable nightmare on the default settings. It's unbelievable. I know you like to play with deadzones, so I'm sure you could find a setup that works for you, but you have to customize the advanced control options before you can make any sense of the handling. Even then, personally, it's only enjoyable with cars that are slower than B Class. You might call it "halfway realistic," as in something I'd rate 5/10.

You're probably better off with the PC version -- some people swear by a mod that alters the handling -- or waiting for Project CARS, which has already come a long way from the issues of its jiggly older cousin. If you do pick up this one, I can refer you to the control settings that worked for me.

Last edited:
most of the cars apart the the GT cars don't seem to have proper suspension setups. So they just float around if you improve the suspension settings on cars it can get a bit better. One thing as well even with the GT it gets noticeably easier to drive after 1 lap when the tires get up to temp.

Can't say I would recommend it looks fantastic and like Wolfe said the slower cars seem great but it goes downhill after that.

Speedster, you couldn't pick any better racing game for X360, i think it's exceed's Forza by a mile. Physics is awesome, cars are fantastic, engine sounds are amazing. And there is plenty of gameplay ahead. One of the best racing games in past generation.

Yeah guys; the reviews I've been checking out are a mixed bag too. I wanted to hear from you long-time virtual racing vets to really see what's underneath the hood.

For comparison's sake I think Dirt 3's physics are pretty decent and I actually prefer them over Horizon's. Would you fellas say Shift 2's physics are at least as decent as Dirt?

I did read in several reviews how you need to fine tune the controller settings in order to get the beast to behave the way you want. I love experimenting anyway, so sometime soon ima tap into your expertise Wolfe mayeeenn!

Appreciate the feedback guys, keep it coming. Need more input!

Being able to cope with physics is my only concern, that's all. Don't want it cramping my driving in any way!

What really drew me in from the vids were the tracks, helmet cam and engine sounds...oh boy those engine sounds were pretty impressive! :D

I played Shift 2 quite a lot on the PS3, then 360, then PC. The PC is the best by a long shot, then the 360 version followed by the PS3 version. On the PC, because of various mods from the community, allows for more configuration/turning. The console versions take some getting use to to say the least but can be fun non-the-less. If you have a choice, there is only one choice - PC for this one.
I know you are an FM4 racer, S2U is nothing like FM from a physics/feel standpoint but has good content and a very immersive presentation.
Its worth owning if your are primarily a racing gamer, especially with how cheap you can pick up now.

It's a good game with the nice visual effects, track and car selection. Only bad part about the game is the rather horrible physics and the AI are really the main concern. But other than that, the game is nice to play and is replayable. 👍

Speedster, you couldn't pick any better racing game for X360, i think it's exceed's Forza by a mile. Physics is awesome, cars are fantastic, engine sounds are amazing. And there is plenty of gameplay ahead. One of the best racing games in past generation.

I'm not sure how anyone could describe the physics in that game as "awesome". Every car, including high downforce race cars, slide all over the place.

No. I got it, played for a week and never touched it again. The physics is extremely poor. It feels like your driving on ice and floating through a cloud. One slight touch from the AI and you spin out.

It does a few things really well. Only problem is completely misses the mark on the things that matter most. Totally lacks road feel.

I'm not sure how anyone could describe the physics in that game as "awesome". Every car, including high downforce race cars, slide all over the place.

This... is something I may not be able to digest, which is why I've avoided it all these years.

No. I got it, played for a week and never touched it again. The physics is extremely poor. It feels like your driving on ice and floating through a cloud. One slight touch from the AI and you spin out.

Well, that's just wierd. Hmm, I don't think I'm willing to cope with that.

It does a few things really well. Only problem is completely misses the mark on the things that matter most. Totally lacks road feel.

Right. I think I'm just going to be wasting money then; Horizon and GRID II have been collecting dust ever since I got them, and from the looks of it, Shift 2 does worse on the physics scale.

NFS Shi(f)t is one of the most unenjoyable games ive ever played, its not fun its ridiculously frustrating in that the grass is a vacuum hole, you touch a car or the wall your vacuumed to it, the faster you go the bigger the boat your car becomes. While the game does have a good car/track selection there is just sooo much wrong with everything else. I pretty much only race sims games now so from a "serious sim nuts" recommendation, keep the money in your wallet.

And why in the world is Vaughn Gittin, Jr. plastered all over this game, why is a drifter talking to me about racing tips, it all feels very wrong and I wanted to kill him afterwards because he never shuts up.

However as Wolfe said your best off getting the PC version, Ive heard that the physics mods for that game make it pretty decent but ive never tried it.

Last edited:
^^ Great feedback! You do raise highly note-worthy points, especially that bit about Gittin Jr! :lol:

I was actually thinking of ordering both Shift 2 and FM2 just for the sake adding two more titles to the collection, but nahh.

Looks like FM4 is all I'm going to need for now. :cheers:

Well i guess racing games are not for you then. Shift 2 is prime example where fine tunning can benefit your performance and the pore one can totally destroy it.

Speedster911 after trying Shift 2 you can also check Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends, which is based on Need For Speed: Shift engine and that's a little different than Shift 2. But hugely improved. I'ts simple game but so rewarding when you do everything right in corners.

There is a difference between good physics, fun physics and realistic physics. A game doesn't have bad physics unless it set out to specifically have realistic driving physics. Shift 2 has fun pick up and play physics that can still present a challenge when required and also delivers a pretty good racing experience.

Good game.

Well i guess racing games are not for you then. Shift 2 is prime example where fine tunning can benefit your performance and the pore one can totally destroy it.

Speedster911 after trying Shift 2 you can also check Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends, which is based on Need For Speed: Shift engine and that's a little different than Shift 2. But hugely improved. I'ts simple game but so rewarding when you do everything right in corners.

^^ Hey isn't that the game that simulates full 360 deg wheel animation/rotation?! :dopey:

And I've read in several reviews how fine-tuning the control improves the realism.

As long as the cars don't get boaty and float around at higher speeds, I think I'm in.

There is a difference between good physics, fun physics and realistic physics. A game doesn't have bad physics unless it set out to specifically have realistic driving physics. Shift 2 has fun pick up and play physics that can still present a challenge when required and also delivers a pretty good racing experience.

Good game.

Would you say the physics are more "believable" than Grid II?

Would you say the physics are more "believable" than Grid II?

That would depend on which version, I owned both the PS3, and PC versions.
Terrible physics and input lag on PS3, but doable on the PC.
PC version is even better when mods (avail at NoGripRacing.com) are installed.

and yes the Legends DLC is one of the best I think in terms of content.

Shift 2 is not an arcade game as many say. It's a failed sim. Grid and Grid 2 get much closer to achieving what was attempted.

Do you have Race Pro? Probably won't look too pretty, but should be leaps and bounds ahead in the physics department.
Probably the best way of putting it. They try to exaggerate everything to make it feel like real life. And Race Pro is about as close as your gonna get with a sim racing title on the console without going to the pc.

That would depend on which version, I owned both the PS3, and PC versions.
Terrible physics and input lag on PS3, but doable on the PC.
PC version is even better when mods (avail at NoGripRacing.com) are installed.

and yes the Legends DLC is one of the best I think in terms of content.

The only version I can get ATM is the X360 one.

Back