Toughest Corners Thread! (maybe +poll)

• Thread starter MonGnoM
  • 47 comments

MonGnoM

(Banned)
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MonGnoM
Hello! I just wanted to know what, for you, is the toughest corner!
I saw threads about most fun corners to drive, and most hated corners, but no list/poll!

I am going to turn the OP into a List of all your personal toughest corners, and maybe turn that into a poll.

Please tell us what track this corner is on, and it's name (or number), and most important, why it is the toughest corner!

If i can go on, i would say on the Daytona International Speedway, the road course. CORNER1!!!
In any GT race car, you come there from a high speed, step on the brakes, try not to spin out, not to hard braking, not to understear, down the banking, and then the corner tightens up!
If you are 1-2 kmph too fast, you end up in the wall.

(and if you tell me i hadn't used the search option...)

Tough corner list:
  • Apricot Hill Raceway - "The Happy Chicane" (Turn 11)
    Apricot Hill Raceway.jpg
  • Ascari Race Resort - "Rafael" (First Chicane)
    Ascari Race Resort.jpg
  • Brands Hatch - "Paddock Hill Bend" (Turn 1)
  • Brands Hatch - "Surtees Corner" (Turn 4)
  • Brands Hatch - "Sheene Corner" (Turn 7)
    Brands Hatch.png
  • Daytona International Speedway, Road Course - Corner 1.
  • Daytona International Speedway, Road Course - "The Bus Stop" (Turn 9&10)
    Daytona Road Course.png
  • Fuji International Speedway - Netz Corner (Turn 15)
  • Fuji International Speedway - Panasonic Corner (Turn 16)
    Fuji Speedway.png
  • Goodwood Festival Of Speed - "The Flint Wall"
    2014-goodwood-festiv_600x0w.png
  • Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway - (Turn 6)
  • Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway - "The Corkskrew" (Turn 8 & 8a)
    Laguna Seca.png
  • London - Turn 2
  • London - Turn 3
    London.jpg
  • Autodromo Nazionale Monza - "Ingresso Di Lesmo" (Turn 4&5)
    Monza.png

• Mount Panorama Circuit Bathurst - "The Esses" (Turns 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17.)
  • Nürburgring Nordschleife - "Bergwerk"
  • Nürburgring Nordschleife - "Karussell"
  • Red Bull Ring - "Castrol Edge" (Turn 1)
  • Red Bull Ring - "Remus" (Turn 2)
  • Red Bull Ring Short Course - "Würth" (Turn 2)
  • Circuit De La Sarthe - "Mulsanne" (Turn 9)
  • Circuit De La Sarthe - "Porsche Curves" (Turns 13-17)
  • Silverstone International Circuit - "Arena (Village & Loop)" (Turns 3 & 4)
  • Silverstone International Circuit - "Stowe" (Turn 15)
  • Silverstone International Circuit - "Copse" (Turn 9)
  • Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - "Les Combes" (Turns 7, 8, 9)
  • Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - "Campus" (Turn 14)
  • Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - "The Bus Stop Chicane" (Turns 19 & 20)
  • Suzuka International Racing Course (Turn 9)
  • Suzuka International Racing Course - "Hairpin" (Turn 11)
  • Tokyo Route 246 - "Corner before last Hairpin" (Turn 12)
  • Trial Mountain Racway - Turn 4
  • Willow Springs International Motorsports Park - "The Balcony" (Turn 4)
  • Willow Springs International Motorsports Park - "Sweeper" (Turn 8)
  • Work in progress

Pictures:

Last edited:
Haven't we done this before?

Bergwerk - Nordschleife

Normally blind turns aren't a big deal to me but I just can't get this one down like I want to, ever.

The Lesmos at Monza. Very easy to carry too much speed into both the first and second parts and slide into the dirt

Ugh...Why can't I picture Bergwerk in the game?? I only know a few of the corner names on Nordschleife. I looked up a couple of YouTube videos but nothing reminds me of our Gran Turismo version.... Hmmm... Trying to think.

Turn 15 and 16, the last two corners on Fuji Speedway.

99% of the time, I get them wrong. :irked:

This was tough to me to get it alright (almost) everytime
  • This might sound confusing, but go through the inside of turn 13 and go outside at the exit, so you're on the inside of the curve before turn 14
  • Once you reach turn 14, go outside to the part where it says "Netz", you'll know the perfect moment to brake with practice, and do the same thing as in turn 13
  • For turn 16, you have to do exactly as I said in the to past points, but a little bit slower
If you didn't understand me, I've got a video (really bad quality, of course) of me doing a 1:40.7XX in this track with a stock IS350 Base Model, I'll cut it so you only see that part of the lap :)

For a tough corner to me, that's got to be the hairpin before the main straight of Cape Ring South, going foward, I think I just can't really find a good line for that hairpin, and about 30-40% of the time I run wide on this corner

Bergwerk was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread, but I also agree with Turn 1 at Daytona and Paddock Hill Bend.

Suzuka hairpin. It's where I usually lose the most time during my testing. If you're in a 600+ pp car it's tricky because it's hard to straighten yourself out from the corner leading up to it when you've gathered so much speed.

In this video it doesn't look difficult, but try it in say, the Zonda R, Huayra, Veyron, FXX, Speed 12, etc...You might just end up going into the grass on the left side right before the hairpin if you're not careful.

Turn 2 at Red Bull Ring. It's most likely my lack of skill, but I just can't get around it without losing traction followed by the rear end of the car. It ruins my time there as I have no issues with any other cornner on the track.

There's this one innocent-looking corner on the 'ring where I very frequently slide off and hit the wall. I invalidated dozens of lap times there and it definitely wasn't Bergwerk, I'll find out tomorrow what it is in a free drive. In the meantime, other corners I find challenging are:
Karussel (I seem to completely lose control if I touch the banking in even slightly the wrong way)
The Esses - Bathurst
THE WALL - Goodwood

Brands Hatch - Paddock Hill Bend
I hate that corner SOOOOOOOOOO much!! :banghead:
And I do test all of my car on that track too but it seem I cannot find a good way to take that corner :(

Turn 2 at red bull ring short track is so evil, that's where I test my cars all the time, but I still plow into the wall at turn 2 because it looks like your going to go strait but you have to brake and turn really hard

The chicane at Apricot Hill, in either direction. If you're in an online race with penalties on and you cut just a little bit too much, you get a penalty and your speed all the way back to turn 1 is killed.

I call it "The Happy Chicane".

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Daytona's Bus Stop Chicane on the road course layout. Brake too late, you're hitting a wall. Brake perfectly, but go in too fast and you're sliding off to the left. Go in at the right speed but with a poor line, you're off and spinning. Got the braking speed and line right, but the kerb spins you out. Manage to maintain steady on the kerb, but you've turned too late and are skipping across grass into the barrier. Even when you get everything right, you're still not guaranteed to take the line perfectly cleanly on the exit without sacrificing hella speed.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Daytona's Bus Stop Chicane on the road course layout. Brake too late, you're hitting a wall. Brake perfectly, but go in too fast and you're sliding off to the left. Go in at the right speed but with a poor line, you're off and spinning. Got the braking speed and line right, but the kerb spins you out. Manage to maintain steady on the kerb, but you've turned too late and are skipping across grass into the barrier. Even when you get everything right, you're still not guaranteed to take the line perfectly cleanly on the exit without sacrificing hella speed.
In a street car with no Downforce, I agree. This is a tricky turn.

But in a proper race car with good aero, you can pull some serious Dukes of Hazzard type stuff there. I always marvel at how fast I can go through there with very little risk...in a race car.

First corner at Daytona. First corner at Brands Hatch.

I hope a ruthless terrorist organization bombs these places. Or let Tilke redesign those corners or something.

The OP has been updated, tomorrow, i will sort everything by alphabet.

First corner at Daytona. First corner at Brands Hatch.

I hope a ruthless terrorist organization bombs these places. Or let Tilke redesign those corners or something.

Na na naa ts tss...

For me these corners are really hard to get right, but i would never like they get bombed!!!!
Where would be the challenge then?

Back