Toyota TS030 now in GT6

• Thread starter KinLM
  • 343 comments
Love the TS030 but don't knock the oldies!

Skip to 3:50 for some high speed Mulsanne action with great sounds of the Sauber Mercedes C9, Jaguar XKR-9, Mazda 767b(?) amongst others.

I mainly drive the cars you named in your post because i do love the oldies. The 787b screaming into 5th gear gets me everytime.

What i meant was that because those cars can run at 430 km/h with the right setup. Without slipstream. When they drive the TS030 it will feel slow to them.

Only thing I find strange is how despite this have the hybrid power, its the only car where the hybrid power isn't shown with the rest of the on-screen telemetry (like many of the other Electric/hybrid cars) and only on the car itself.

Only thing I find strange is how despite this have the hybrid power, its the only car where the hybrid power isn't shown with the rest of the on-screen telemetry (like many of the other Electric/hybrid cars) and only on the car itself.
None of the other hybrids have a HUD telemetry like in GT5

Really? I just assumed that was going to be brought over from GT5 but that's abit of a surprise to know.

Only one I've tried was the CR-Z Touring Car and I couldn't see it on the hud there. Has the electric motor for sure though if you look at the torque curve.

image.jpg

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but the red LEDs on the side of the car, used to tell spectators the position of the car are fully functional in this game.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but the red LEDs on the side of the car, used to tell spectators the position of the car are fully functional in this game.
This has been in the game with the Audi R18 TDI since launch. Looks great in night replays.

I'm up to 1150km in my Toyota TS030-HYBRID so far. Still loving it and driving virtually nothing else.

This has been in the game with the Audi R18 TDI since launch. Looks great in night replays.

I'm up to 1150km in my Toyota TS030-HYBRID so far. Still loving it and driving virtually nothing else.
Im well past 3,000km and I'm still in love with it. I haven't even performed an oil change and I haven't refreshed ridgidity and it still is perfect.

Im well past 3,000km and I'm still in love with it. I haven't even performed an oil change and I haven't refreshed ridgidity and it still is perfect.
Well past 3000km? Blimey! I have some catching up to do. I will take it up Goodwood Hillclimb later. It'll skip by the flint wall no bother.

After a couple of hundred miles, I found the PP was dropping off.

Not that it's an issue, since I had it limited to 600PP for the Seasonal at Grand Valley.

I find the car to be very stable, and the stored energy gizmo is cream on the cake

There is literally only one issue with this car - the sound. It uses the same droning buzz as Impreza race cars, which isn't even an accurate sound for the Impreza, never mind a car with twice the cylinders.

This is how a Subie should sound like ;)

And a TS030 sounds pretty like a V4...

Actually, there's an odd consistency in the Subaru sound of the TS030. It seems as though any high-revving race V8 gets this sound - the Lexus IS-F Racing Concept received an update to get it in GT5, and it has carried over to GT6. It's odd, isn't it - PDI finally show some consistency, the only problem now is that it's consistently wrong.

Well its a start.

I don't know about that. Listening to the Porsche 919, I don't hear it.
Same here. You can hear that this a perfectly accurate 4/8 cylinder sample, but I honestly can't think of an actual car that sounds like it.

Same here. You can hear that this a perfectly accurate 4/8 cylinder sample, but I honestly can't think of an actual car that sounds like it.

Being as the drone noise is largely featured on race exhaust cars and fictional "Touring Cars", it wouldn't surprise me if it was completely synthesised. That might go some way to explaining why it sounds so thin and reedy.

Being as the drone noise is largely featured on race exhaust cars and fictional "Touring Cars", it wouldn't surprise me if it was completely synthesised. That might go some way to explaining why it sounds so thin and reedy.
I hope the new sound hiring will bring gt up to current standards, or miraculously beyond that. For it to work though pd must let them get on with it rather than interior or dictate decisions, otherwise we are back to square 1.

Did anyone from gtp email pd about sounds?

I hope the new sound hiring will bring gt up to current standards, or miraculously beyond that. For it to work though pd must let them get on with it rather than interior or dictate decisions, otherwise we are back to square 1.

Did anyone from gtp email pd about sounds?

They might need people to record industrial vacuum cleaners rather than typical household ones.

They might need people to record industrial vacuum cleaners rather than typical household ones.
Pd have proven themselves capable that they can record decent sounds. Look at the lfa, the sls, and the lotus 97 (although improvement for these is possible)

The bigger problem ATM is the rest weren't even recorded, and have been given generic synth sounds that are, well, crap.

The bigger problem ATM is the rest weren't even recorded, and have been given generic synth sounds that are, well, crap.

This. This and the lazy copy/paste job of some car sounds are two of the biggest sound issues. If they must copy/paste them (and I'm sure we'd rather they didn't), the whole process is made even more infuriating when there are more accurate samples to use (such as the case of the Murcielagos/Aventador using Gallardo V10 sounds when they could use the Zonda C12S sample).

This. This and the lazy copy/paste job of some car sounds are two of the biggest sound issues. If they must copy/paste them (and I'm sure we'd rather they didn't), the whole process is made even more infuriating when there are more accurate samples to use (such as the case of the Murcielagos/Aventador using Gallardo V10 sounds when they could use the Zonda C12S sample).
And the ferrari 250 swb has the caterham sound when the miura has a pretty good sample that could have been used

And here is part two! http://ms.toyota.co.jp/jp/wec/special/kazuki-nakajima-and-kazunori-yamauchi-gt6-producer-0201.html

Kaz goes on in the conversation and mentions how he would have to 'update' or 'change' the TS030 in the game to represent the performance of the TS040. This is just theoretical talk stemming from the conversation of the lap time difference of last year's car vs. TS040's to be determined pace. That among other things makes this a great read if you have the right translation tools.

I read through the article and tried to make as much sense of it as I could. Kaz being interested in the TS040-HYBRID is fantastic news as it is my most wanted addition to GT7.

He seems to mention adjusting the ERS in-game to represent the performance of the TS040 which is something that will never happen as PD are slaves to detail and giving a 2012 car the performance of a 2014 car built to different regulations is silly.

If nothing else it just makes it more likely that we will see the TS040 in GT7 as Kaz usually has to include cars he finds personally interesting.

Translation of part 1 of http://ms.toyota.co.jp/jp/wec/special/kazuki-nakajima-and-kazunori-yamauchi-gt6-producer-0101.html

==========

The performance of the TS030 HYBRID is reproduced extremely realistically. I didn't imagine that such a thing would be possible. -Racer Nakajima Kazuki.

Nakajima: I have never played Gran Turismo before, but with better steering and three screens (using 3x 60 inch displays) the field of vision and the sensations were not uncomfortable at all. It felt just like driving a real race car. Compared to the feeling of driving the real TS030 HYBRID there are some small differences, but overall it is very close, including the lap times.

0101.jpg

Yamauchi: With the TS030 HYBRID, we were not made privy to all the data, so certain aspects are speculation on our part. Even last night, thinking about Racer Nakajima's arrival, I made some adjustments to the gear ratios and tyres. It also took me some time to stumble my way onto where on the course to use the electric motor and where not to. But I'm very relieved that the lap time turned out to be very similar to that from last year (lol).

Nakajima: Braking points, and the feel of grip in the tyres, and the sensation when turning the steering wheel, these all feel exactly like the real thing. Because the information about the workings of the hybrid system and it's effects was not given, I imagine that it was very difficult. But I really feel that you have done a very good job. There is one thing I might mention. The real car has traction control*, so that's one difference, but that wasn't enough to dampen the experience.

*A system for controlling the engine under acceleration to reduce wheel spin. It makes a driver's job easier, as they can just step on the accelerator. Abbreviated as TC.

Yamauchi: The setting for TC exists, perhaps it would be better turned on.

Nakajima: But driving is a lot less interesting with TC on. Er, in the game I mean (lol). It's true that it's a lot more fun driving without TC though.

Yamauchi: It really is difficult to reproduce the driving characteristics of a hybrid.

Nakajima: But I think that the performance of the car is reproduced extremely realistically. I didn't imagine that such a thing would be possible.

Yamauchi: Because the regulations governing the cars (from last year) are public, we know how much electrical power each use of the capacitors* can output. Then there's publically available information on the time the motor takes to accelerate from 100 to 200kmph, and so the power of the motor can be extrapolated from that. During cornering, we assumed for the sake of argument that if the speed was under 100kmph then electric power was not needed, and so none was delivered to the motor, and so we built our assumptions up in this manner.

*A part serving the same purpose as the battery pack in commercially available hybrid cars. A capacitor is unable to store a large amount of electricity, but it can charge and discharge repeatedly very rapidly, and so is suitable for racing car applications.

I noticed that part way through Racer Nakajima's driving suddenly changed. “He's got it!” I thought. -Producer Kazunori Yamauchi

Yamauchi:
Watching Racer Nakajima today, I noticed that part way through his driving suddenly changed. “He's got it!” I thought. With the current settings one wants to open the accelerator at the apex of the corner, but if one waits a little the car will straighten up, and then if the accelerator is pressed further than 80% of it's travel the electric motor will activate. Before that 80% the car has 500hp. If the accelerator is pressed beyond 80%, and the speed is over 100kmph, the power of the electric motor will be added to that. Even though we had not told Nakajima about these settings, it only took him a few laps to perceive and understand that and adjust his driving accordingly. I was astonished.

0102.jpg

Nakajima:
And then the car's balance under braking...oh, is that because of the regeneration simulation?

Yamauchi:
Yes.

==========

Second part to follow if and when I find time, it might not be for a few days.

I make no promises that this is accurate. I'm just a student of Japanese, my native language is English. I've had to look up words where I didn't know them, but I'm fairly confident that this is a decent representation of what was said.

Second part to follow if and when I find time, it might not be for a few days.

I make no promises that this is accurate. I'm just a student of Japanese, my native language is English. I've had to look up words where I didn't know them, but I'm fairly confident that this is a decent representation of what was said.
Thank you for taking the time to do this @Imari. Greatly appreciated. Part 2 is the one I am really looking forward to as it sees Kaz talking about liking the TS040. Hopefully we see it in GT7.

Keep looking at the site, there may be more to come.

Part 2 goes into detail about the physics of gt6 being close to the actual simulators teams like Toyota use. Nakajima jokes that he could perhaps use it to setup real race cars! Among other things, Kaz says that he (again) didnt have all the information on the TS030 (TMG held some back), and that seeing the new TS040's 4wd system in the game would require some 'imagination'. Kaz says that since they share the same hybrid system, he would have to increase its power(?) and have the hybrid work on the front wheels.

Imari or someone else could give a word for word translation, Im just summing up the important parts :)

Last edited:
Back