Track & Field Championship Series - 80s Japanese Party - Spots open!

• Thread starter eDirtyTati
  • 45 comments
United States
Atlanta, GA
eDirtyTati
Track and Field Championship - Season 1

Why start a series with GT6 so close? Because some of the cars in this first season (see car list below) are somewhat rare, it wouldn't be fair to expect players to have them so quickly after picking up the new game. Each season will feature a different sort of car and list of venues, so for GT6 we'll be able to select a suitable group of vehicles.

I. Format

A typical championship season with a twist. Some races will feature a bonus challenge afterwards. Challenges are not mandatory, and are only used as a way to have some silly fun and a chance at boosting your championship standings. It is mathematically impossible for a driver to win the championship off of challenge points alone, but winning challenges can certainly make the difference between a losing season and a top finish.

A hint for each challenge is included in the race dates below, however, challenge details and instructions will be kept under wraps until a few hours before each race and will be added to the driver brief. Because we are aware of the challenges and will be testing their functionality beforehand, series stewards are allowed to compete in the challenges, but are not allowed to score points for them.

II. Schedule

Races will take place on Saturday nights at 9:00pm Eastern Time. Spec check leading to qualifying begins at 9:15. Each race will be timed to last approximately 30 minutes with the challenge to follow.

Week 1 - 11/30 9:00pm EST
Race: Fuji GT
Laps: 20
Challenge: Parking Lot Donut Challenge - In this challenge, drivers are given two minutes to draw as many CONNECTED donuts as they can down the looooonnnng Fuji main straight. See the driver brief before the race for scoring details.

Two-week break because your steward will be away from her Playstation 3. The 25 Hours of Thunderhill on 12/7!!! :cheers::cheers: And a work function on 12/14.:grumpy:

Week 2 - 12/7 9:00pm EST
Race: Suzuka
Laps:
Challenge: Demolition Derby - Rain + full damage + no rules = mayhem. Please visit GT Auto for all your race car safety needs.

Week 3 - 12/21 9:00pm EST
Race: Twin Ring Motegi
Laps:
Challenge: N/A. Lobby open for week 4 practice/testing.

Week 4 - TBA (we will vote on taking a post-Christmas break as some people may still be traveling)
Race: Tsukuba
Laps:
Challenge: N/A. Lobby open for week 5 practice/testing.

Week 5 - 12/28 9:00pm EST
Race: Tokyo R246
Laps:
Challenge: Time Trial - Lay down the fastest flying lap you can around the motorway. There may be hidden tests along the way.

Week 6 1/4 9:00pm EST - TBA
Race: Special Stage Route 5
Laps:
Challenge: Touge - Grudge match. Call them out, get your points back. Then eject this disc and get back to GT6.

III. Allowed Vehicles

Accord Coupe '88
Ballade Sports CR-X 1.5i '83
City Turbo II '83
Today G '85
Piazza XE '81
Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) '89
MX-5 Miata (NA) '89
MX-5 (NA) '89
RX-7 GT-Limited (FC) '85
Savanna RX-7 GT-Limited (FC) '85
Galant 2.0 DOHC Turbo VR-4 '89
Lancer EX 1800GSR IC Turbo '83
Minica Dangan ZZ '89
300ZX 2seater (Z32) '89
Be-1 '87
Exa Canopy LA Version Type S '88
Fairlady Z 300ZX TT 2Seater (Z32) '89
Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31) '83
Pao '89
Silvia 240RS (S110) '83
Silvia K's (S13) '88
Silvia Qs (S13) '88
Skyline GT-R (R32) '89
Skyline GTS-R (R32) '89
Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32) '89
Skyline HT 2000 RS-X Turbo C (R30) '84
Skyline HT2000 Turbo RS (R30) '83
Carina ED 2.0X 4WS '89
Celica 2000 GT-Four (ST165) '86
Celica 2000GT-R (ST162) '86
Celica XX 2800GT '81
Corolla Levin GT0Apex (AE86) '83
MR2 1600G '86
MR2 1600 G-Limited Super Charger '86
Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex '83
Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88

IV. Model Limits

Only one of each model Skyline and Miata/Eunos is allowed per race. Otherwise, this would become a spec series. For the same reason, the two cars available from the premium dealership (Fairlady Z 300ZX TT 2seater (Z32) '89, Supra 3.0GT Turbo Z '88) are also limited to one per race.

Racers do not have to stay in the same car every week. The aforementioned “1 per” cars can be raced by anyone unless the car in question has been claimed by someone who has committed to 75% of the races. If a car has not been used by a driver for two consecutive races without notifying the stewards of their intent to return, the car will again be eligible for other racers. On race day, if that driver does not arrive in the lobby by qualifying, you may ask the race steward for an exception to switch to that car for that race only.

V. Tuning/Tires

Tires: Racing soft, rain/intermediate allowed
Horsepower: 300hp
Weight: 1150kg
Tuning: all performance parts and tuning allowed as long as HP/weight limit is respected

Fair warning: The list above is a complete list of Japanese cars in Gran Turismo 5 produced from 1980-1989. Some cars obviously won't meet the horsepower max or get anywhere close to it. Racers are welcome to use these, but be aware that you absolutely won't be competitive in races.

VI. Room Settings

ABS 1 (maximum)
TCS 0 (maximum)
Driving line allowed
Light damage
Visible damage off
Disable collisions off
Slipstream weak
Boost off
Fuel/Tire Wear fast
Grip reduction real
Standing start

After spec check, we enter “parc ferme,” meaning no other settings changes can be made. If you leave the track and are seen in the settings without express permission, you will be asked to leave for that race. If you are late to spec check, you will not be allowed to qualify, but can be spec checked after and will begin the race at the back of the grid.

Qualifying will be approximately 10 minutes, which should be long enough for an out lap and a few flying laps at every track. Please try not to use slipstream during quali. This provides an unfair advantage.

VII. Thread Etiquette

This thread is only for posts related to this series. Please do not get off topic as it makes the thread unnecessarily long and makes it difficult to sort through information.

This part will be posted twice because we can’t stress it enough:

Accusations of misconduct or unfairness will NOT be tolerated in the public thread. This leads to pointless flame wars and looks bad on the series and those in it. Please PM a steward and the incident will be reviewed.

When reporting an incident, please include a description of what happened, the drivers involved, and if possible, a lap number. It makes it a lot easier to review an issue in a 20-lap race if we know where to look.

Last edited:
RunNGunSeriesRules_page1_zps0d64d9ac.jpg

RunNGunSeriesRules_page2_zps69ba35f1.jpg

RunNGunSeriesRules_page3_zps31367424.jpg

RunNGunSeriesRules_page4_zps89a52bb2.jpg

Driver Brief

Course: Fuji GT - EVENT REACHED
Laps: 20
Challenge: Parking lot donuts

Parking Lot Donuts Challenge - In this challenge, drivers are given one minute to draw as many CONNECTED donuts as they can down the looooonnnng Fuji main straight. Concentric or almost concentric donuts, do not count. Each donut must CLEARLY be its own circle, connected to the last donut by the line of rubber you laid. Each pair of connected donuts is worth .25 points. A perfect run of donuts will earn a bonus of 5 points at the end. Your fellow racers will be watching from the lobby, talking s___ and trying to break your concentration. Don’t let them! Oh, and here’s a hint: choose your tire compound wisely. Also: this. is. awesome.

Last edited:
Standings

Fuji

Race Points:

eDirtyTati - 10
fredyellowone - 8
elwoodrambler - 6

Challenge Points:

Forfeited by all​

Last edited:
We had a fun event last night! @@fredyellowone, @@ElwoodRambler, and myself joined in on Fuji Speedway in my lobby. El was having connection issues, unfortunately, and missed the race. Fred and I went head to head in a shortened battle (only 7 laps) and I came out the victor! It will probably be my only win all season since I suck at all the Japanese tracks.

Due to connection issues, we did not go into the bonus point challenge. However, since Fred was the only challenger available, I've decided to award him by doubling the points he earns in the next challenge he enters.

Last edited:
Sounds like its set up very good. I am interested in this series.

Hey, thanks for your interest. And yeah, we're trying to make sure this is well organized so people can come out and have fun without issues.

Send me a friend request on PSN and start practicing for Fuji! Any updates will be added to the driver brief post.

Also, if you could post the car you'll be using for the race, I'll start a list. See you on Saturday.

Hey, thanks for your interest. And yeah, we're trying to make sure this is well organized so people can come out and have fun without issues.

Send me a friend request on PSN and start practicing for Fuji! Any updates will be added to the driver brief post.

Also, if you could post the car you'll be using for the race, I'll start a list. See you on Saturday.

I'll choose the 89 300ZX, and is there a limit on percent HP reduction?

I'd love to participate but I won't be able to run all the races (maximum 3)
I don't really understand, you choose a car for every race or you can repeat?

EDIT: completely impossible for me,too much late :(

I'll choose the 89 300ZX, and is there a limit on percent HP reduction?

Good choice!

No limit on HP reduction as long as you can get to 300HP or below. Weight is limited to 1150kg.

I'd love to participate but I won't be able to run all the races (maximum 3)
I don't really understand, you choose a car for every race or you can repeat?

EDIT: completely impossible for me,too much late :(

Sorry to hear you can't join us, man. That sucks. I tried to make it late enough that Pacific coast folks (like me) can join without having it in the middle of the day, but early enough that east coasters can join.

Just to clarify in case you do decide to join: no, you do not have to pick a different car each race. You can repeat. You simply don't have to stick to the same car every race if you're not happy with the choice.

The OP will soon bee changed to allow for racing softs instead of hards, add the number of laps to Fuji, and be tweaked to better fit the format of the new GTPlanet.

Looks like we'll have to postpone tonight's race. Not enough drivers interested. We'll be trying again next week though!

Nice concept and good OP! I run a series that is sort of similar, so if you ever need to bounce around some ideas, or get into a situation, feel free to hit me up! We are heading into our 3rd month and growing.

Nice concept and good OP! I run a series that is sort of similar, so if you ever need to bounce around some ideas, or get into a situation, feel free to hit me up! We are heading into our 3rd month and growing.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I just checked your series out too. Looks like a lot of fun! I work while you guys are running though. :(

Hmm...I may need to find a better way to market this series. I want a nice big.....field...I was going to say field there. 🤬

Talking about marketing, spec races are encouraged (just my opinion).
Also images with epic battles would ve awesome and a champ name. Just see the BTCC. And compare it to my ECCC hehe

Ah, I didn't want a spec series. There is already a spec series that runs for North American racers on Saturday nights. No tuning allowed in that one. If people are into that, they should join that series. On this one, I want to allow players to experience different cars and different setups suited to themselves.

I was thinking about adding pictures. I'm going to try and get a bunch of guys on track with these cars to do that.

OP changed to plain text for easier editing.

Series title changed.

Championship name finally added.

Race dates all changed to TBA as this series will not start until we have at least 7 drivers.

Your series has just appeared on the Weekly Rewind! :lol:
Now, although I can't race here, I hope for more racers to come 👍
Good luck!

Your series has just appeared on the Weekly Rewind! :lol:
Now, although I can't race here, I hope for more racers to come 👍
Good luck!
Thanks man! I'm sure it'll happen now!

I've never done any online championships before. I would fear to push others by accident, then I would hate myself.
There's a first time for everything Fred. We were all new to online racing at some point. Accidents happen but you can use this series as a way to get experience. The cars aren't too powerful and you're allowed to use very grippy tires. I hope you'll join.

Thanks man! I'm sure it'll happen now!

There's a first time for everything Fred. We were all new to online racing at some point. Accidents happen but you can use this series as a way to get experience. The cars aren't too powerful and you're allowed to use very grippy tires. I hope you'll join.

Alright, I will participate. I'll be using for the first race the 1988 Honda Accord coupe. It's 275 HP max, so I fit in. I'm far form being an expert in tuning, but I'll try to do something with it.

Last edited:
Please sign me up if possible!

I'd like to drive the premium 300ZX, but if not available I will choose another car ( preferably a mitsubishi or silvia) within time.

Please sign me up if possible!

I'd like to drive the premium 300ZX, but if not available I will choose another car ( preferably a mitsubishi or silvia) within time.
Welcome to the championship! I'm sorry, but @michrulejj has already chosen the 300ZX. Unless he changes his mind come race 1 (which I'm guess will be next week as we're very likely to get enough drivers now). As far as Mitsus go, may I recommend the Galant? All wheel drive, easy on tires, and all the grip in the world for coming out of corners. :)

Back