(Track Guide) - Trial Mountain Circuit

• Thread starter Ryk
  • 21 comments

Ryk

England
Lancashire
Ryk_BRM
Ryk's guide to... Trial Mountain Circuit.

picture.php

(The Split markings on the above map are not correct for GT5 - they are not my work but from AMG and seem to be from GT4 vintage.)

Trial Mountain is a mainstay of Gran Turismo. A mix of fast and slow corners on a relativly wide track with good levels of corner camber in a rugged mountainous location of a former quarry. It has improved alot over the years with the old feel of the circuit but with much better visuals.

Back in 2005 I asked on GTBN (GT By Numbers) If they had heard of any corner names for any tracks. That drew a blank so I chose to make my own.

To give the track some character, and to make it a bit easier to talk about certain parts of the track without the anonymous T1yawnT2 syndrome. The theme I chose for the track was Law and Justice. Trial Mountain Circuit has a few corners that deserve a better name than just T13 for sure.

-----

The Trial Mountain Circuit (TMC) is a 2.5 mile purpose built circuit that runs in a counter Clockwise direction.

The starting area is nice and wide, and the pit lane exit merges on from the left, owing to the low speed exit from the pit lane this will not cause many problmes being off line into the first corner.

Turn 1 Left - Chancery
This corner is the first test on the opening fast section of the lap. A quick uphill left hander. It is high speed but you need to position the car for the following corner.

Turn 2 Right - Inquisitor
A fast cresting right hander. You can't see the exit of the corner, and the car will get light as you apex. You really want to sweep back to the right hand side of the track to make the next corner more flowing, this could put you at risk of being passed but staying on the left will really impeed your line through turn 3

Turn 3 Left - Bridge of Sighs
This is a big fast left hander. The cars suspension will get crushed as you round the corner. The exit has some dry dirt run off as you pass under the bridge which I call the "Bridge of Sighs" after the infamous bridge in Venice which supposedly the condemed were walked across. The amount of times I have sighed as I have overrun this corner... and that is me passing under the bridge!

A local track legend says that lovers will be granted everlasting love and bliss if they kiss in a TMC HotLap Taxi at sunset under the bridge.

Turn 4 Left - Devil's Advocate
Tightening radius uphill into a dark and very strong looking tunnel. This is a corner with plenty of possible lines through it. The exit straight isn't long but it does lead into a heavy downhill braking zone for the following slow tight corner.

Split T1 is located on the yellow line on the exit of this corner as you crest the rise.

Turn 5 Right - Prosecutor
Tight 90° right with tall hard rocks on both sides, a small curb on the apex. One of the slowest corners on the track and also one of the least rewarding to drive.

Turn 6 Left - Miranda (You have the right to remain silent...)
On the face of it a rather tame left hander, but you need to line up well in advance to get the best out of it. You need a late apex, trying to hold the left side of the track as you pass under Miranda the Monkey on the trunk of the iconic landmark dead overhanging tree.
If you looked behind in GT4 the monkey wasn't there. Can you see her in your mirrors in GT5?
Turn 7 Right - Accused
A nice corner, the start has a very tight radius, but it relaxes on the apex. Again steep cliffs makes this a trust corner. The exit has a very small irregular piece of dirt, before the unyeilding rock face. But again you need to traverse the track to set up for the next corner.

You now head for the second Tunnel, this one is very short and is infact unlit by artificial light.

Turn 8 Left - Guillotine
This turn is a tricky left hander. Tunnels bound the entry and exit. the corner itself is open to the elements and has an open apex, made up of yellow marked tarmac where an enigmatically named French Hotlapper "Robespierre" first sliced through the corner to cut the apex. This is another corner where you only get fast when you trust your car and your judgement into the corner.

The old Split T2 was located after 8 strip lights into the tunnel. If you can pick out this unused yellow line across the track then you are going too slow! The split has been moved several hundred yards further down the track shortly after the third tunnels exit.

The following long straight is very undulating, exiting the tunnel you pass under some overhanging trees and you should stay out on the right for the next corner.

Turn 9 Left - The Gallows
This is the second corner which lets you take a huge bite out of the apex with the use of yellow marked tarmac. This one is much longer, with a much better view. I find the tall dead gallows tree on the outside to be the signature of this corner. This huge tree, once you do spot it, can also be seen on the reverse direction from the pit straight as a dark spike looming over the other trees and rocky outcrops. The initial part of the corner is a downhill braking zone before you reach the very long and wide corner. A smooth and looping line will let you power hard back into the trees. Exit grip is high as the corner swoops into the trees and heads uphill, the outside is guarded with a hard rock outcrop that will resist most cars with chassis bending results.

Turn 10 Right - Judge
Uphill and in the overhanging trees this righthanded corner is part of a right/left/right triplet of corners. In itself is not much of a corner, a simple righthander with a nasty hard rock apex that will bounce you across the track if you try to cut it. The trick is to think of these corners as a combined set rather than individual stand alone corners.

Turn 11 Left - Jury
This lefthand corner is on a crest but is the same in style to the previous corner, a rockybank apex. The good thing is the corner is bursting out of the trees so the apex is well lit so it isn't hard to pick it out. But you need to be in control of your car to set it up for the final part of the trio of corners. This isn't aided by the way the track crests mid corner making the car lose grip.

Turn 12 Right - Executioner
This long constant radius right hander has an often cut apex. The corner itself is in the shade, but the exit of the corner is in the sunshine again letting you spot the white rocks on the exit with relative ease.

Next is the location of split T3 the yellow line of which you can spot on the tarmac.

The following downhill section to Turn 13 I nickname "Long Drop" after the rather successful style of English public execution. (Compare to the more sadistic Short Drop method of execution which resulted in the convict being strangled rather than having their neck snapped) You will want to ease the car over to the righthand side of the track for the next corner.

Turn 13 Left - New Lake Turn
A longer than you think left hander, not quite a hairpin but more than a simple 90° corner. Very simple to understand, with good visibility of both apex and exit compared to the rest of the circuit. The corner is named after the Lake on the outside of the track which has attracted an odd hybrid, Petrolhead Fishermen! The run off is limited, but a secure concrete weall prevents any car joining the fish. Also a tourist from Loch Ness in Scotland

The following straight is medium length and falls away steeply, the pit lane entrance is well off the racing line to the left and is well postioned to prevent any misunderstandings.
The right side of the track also opens up letting the cars gain extra width for the approach to the final chicane. Often cars are side by side here and the extra width here sometimes helps a clean pass as it is hard to block the width of such a track.

Turn 14 Left - Double Jeopardy (a)
First part of the linked final fast chicane. The initial left has a corner that invites you to take a bite out of the rather tame inside curbs. The outside of this corner needs to avoided, the result of a high speed accident hitting this grass bank launching ramp found inside the apex of the following corner is all too easy to imagine.

Turn 15 Right - Double Jeopardy (b)
The second part is much tougher. You need the exit speed to power onto the pit straight and to make the most of the first few corners. If you try to take too much out of this apex you can easily launch the car. However, if you don't attack the apex then you can run wide into the pit wall.

The run to the line is flat and the ideal line will be to diagonal the grid hatchings to end up back on the right side of the track for the best line into turn 1.

-------------

One of the features of TMC are the numerous blind entrance corners. (Corners you can't see the clipping point on the apex or the exit point. A Novice driver will have to learn the track and then imagine what comes next and brake/turn in before you can see the target of your efforts. The brake boards seem to be few and far between. making this a track that favours a driver with plenty of laps under their belts over any new visitor to the track.

Owing to the heavy dangerous nature of the track no car may enter the track in wet conditions. The Track surface is notorious for its poor drainage. The dangers of aquaplaning into a solid rockface deemed too dangerous. Perhaps future development of this track will see it able to run races in all weather conditions.

One of the high points of this tracks history was hosting a 30 lap Event in Gran Turismo 2. However this was meant to be limited to cars with less than 295BHP but one American entrant managed to trick his way onto the grid with a Weigert Vector W12LM - A race car with close to 680bhp - so it's press pamphlet sugested but the TMC Dynometer rated the car as only have under 300BHP so certified it eligible to race. Much to the chagrin of the motoring press
Another entrant (A dastardly Englishman) used a Lotus Elise GT to dominate a second running of the race.

After this scandel the circuit never saw another enduro event.

-----
These corner and monkey names are not official. Feel free to suggest your own names, memories or, if you are feeling generous, racing tips about this track.

-----

External Links
http://gran-turismo.wikia.com/wiki/Trial_Mountain_Circuit

http://www.mygranturismo.net/track_sheet.php?id=35

Large wireframe picture of the circuit
http://us.playstation.com/Content/O...iginal Circuits/Trial Mountain/wire_large.jpg

Image of track with correct numbers relative to this guide
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7620/trialmountain3kr.jpg

Last edited:
I wish they would make this track more realistic and feel like a real racing circuit. It sometimes feels like an arcade track from Rage Racer or something with the unprotected rockfaces and that silly bump on the last turn.

I hope GT6 gives us a new chicane... Final Jeopardy, lol.

I hope more guides are coming soon.

Great thread man, amazing job 👍

I wish they would make this track more realistic and feel like a real racing circuit. It sometimes feels like an arcade track from Rage Racer or something with the unprotected rockfaces and that silly bump on the last turn.

Yep:tup:

one suggestion for a tip which I have found. The long left hander after the back straight (can't remember your name for it) is best taken by keeping right for longer than normal and then turning in. If you just dive in to the corner at the first opportunity then your exit speed will take a serious hit. It will also put you wide on the exit which has an undulation which hampers and rear wheel drive cars on slippier tyres (e.g. an XKR on sports hard ;))

Just my driving tip, but a great track guide. Love the track names 👍

This is my most favorite track, its exteriors are now littlebit more boring in GT5, but track itself is very good. Maybe smaller double yump after the tunnel would be nicer :-)

The split markings are correct, only split 2 is after the tunnel between those 2 yumps.

Good tips.

Bit obvious but you should really look that the track (Any track - but preferably the one you are about to race on) And work backwards... you are trying to get excellent exits from corners. The sooner you can be commited to the exit the faster the following straight will be.

Sure you may gan a tenth or two if you pile in fast, braking late with a plume of tyre smoke (If you run ABS then you can sit with the monkey). But that will mess you up for the corner itself and the exit.

NJ72 is pointing to The Gallows (T9L) the long corner with the nice view over the valley (*) - Often I come out here faced with the AI and I have the choice of a dive up in the inside - early or a ride around the outside of the AI.

Living up to the corner name, I tend to get hung up to dry by them as they run side by side and prefer to run a soft line up the hill to the Judge/Jury/Executioner combonation.

I wish the brake markers were a bit more obvious too.

Anyone consider running into the yellow lined area to be cheating / corner cutting?

Can I trade these thumbs up for British Racing Green paint chips?

(*)(I guess Belvedere would be an alternate French name for it - Clermont Ferrand has a corner named this as you come out of the trees and you look down over the town of Clermont Ferrand far below volcano the track runs around.

Corners 9 and 13 have always been tricky whenever I race here. Always cut the yellow, never heard of anyone not cutting it.

Turn 9 usually catches me on the exit as does turn 13, usually ending in an embarrasing 180 degree spin. But that's what I love about this track - it's just so unforgiving. Good thread btw 👍. Are you going to do any other tracks ?

I was reading a thread a while ago about people cutting the concrete at Deep Forest - and how the vast majority of posters felt it was perfectly fine to cut a complete corner and straight line the track. (The inside of the Chicanes at Monza and LeMans are concrete and in real life drivers don't cut them...)

I tend to judge right and wrong as what the AI get up to... and then I noticed how clean they drove at TMC, they always take a smooth line on the track and never dive into the yellow lined interior of turns 8 and 9 (Guillotine and The Gallows).

Turn 13 (New Lake Turn) yeah catches me out as for ages when I drove I considered it to be jus a 90° corner... it was only looking at a map that the corner is much longer, and that was the reason I was constantly having to get out of the throttle as I was running out of road on the right.

Actually that could be an improvement.... put a base curvature (How long the corner lasts) and a rough Corner Radius (Small means it is tighter) and perhaps some general indication of camber and track width.

I can easily put together other track guides but it is evocative corner names I was after getting out into the GT community as it is very hard to explain where on a track certain things happen as their are no official names or even turn numbers.

I'll start another thread up asking for corner name ideas for other tracks, and take it from there.

I was joking about the paint chips... but you can never have too many BRG paint chips.

I tend to at least take a look at the AI's too lines to see what should be legal. But you can't go by them 100%. There are plenty of corners where they will completely cut 4 wheels way off track, sometimes while passing, sometimes just driving. Yet for some reason they take Guillotine and The Gallows way out in the middle.

I disregard the way they take those corners in part because it just seems like a stupid line that no one would take in real life, in part because you don't get your time DQ'd in practice for going to the inside curb, and in part because the rubbered-in groove goes all the way inside as well.

And I'm one of those who considers the concrete at Deep Forest to be cutting as surely as bowling over the speed-bumps at Monza(which the AI cuts right over by the way).

The only way it would make sense to call it cutting on those two corners would be if you enforced the white line rule 100%. And that means you'd have to re-do your line on half the corners on the track, it's so far from the edge.

Since there is no more El Capitan or Complex string, this has become automatically my favorite classic track. Very good descriptions, though like most, I could drive this thing with my eyes closed. Such a beautiful track it is, specially the first fast up hill section before the first tunnel. The only thing I don't like is the main straight since there is too many bumps and small jumps that would destroy a car in real life. I hope someday they make it flat, though keeping it downhill. :)

I believe this track was supposed to give a "Touge" / mountain pass street course feel in GT1.

Back