TRANSMISSION CALCULATOR!

• Thread starter tkc_cz
  • 49 comments
So many guys being unappreciative, when someone spent their time to develop something for YOU and asking NOTHING in return... what has the world come to, i ask.

I was asking of an issue I was having with the program, until I realized what I was doing wrong and fixed it.

It's a great program, really's been helping my cars get those extra needed lap times.

i cant get this to work and i have installed java too, i am just getting the meta-inf and trans files but no installer file, any help please? is it anything to do with running on 64bit?

i cant get this to work and i have installed java too, i am just getting the meta-inf and trans files but no installer file, any help please? is it anything to do with running on 64bit?
There is no install! You just install Java and download the file, it is a .jar file. You just open it and use it! Works great...

Hi, ive remade my calculator. Its really basic, but it does its job well (at least better then my previous calc:D). Special thx to Acan, and jtqmopar for calculations! If you got any ideas how to improve it, dont hesitate to share them. PS: You need java to run it. Download links below.

You can see what exactly it does at jtqmopar's thread here ->
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ing-made-easy-the-basics.294738/#post-9115708

image.jpg

DOWNLOAD JAVA:
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/b0c273ipftpdbz5/TransmissionTuner1_4beta.jar

Thanks for building this, it is really helping me tune my cars!!!

I think your on the right track. And I thank you for the time and effort you've put into this, as this will save time when perfected. It is very nice of you to think of doing this for everyone.

I will however throw some pointers out to you to consider.
-the first gear and second following gear are very car specific, some cars can blow this to lowest value, while others need a lot more torque to begin its cycle. I have cars that run at 0%, 10-15%, and even 50% or above, of the slider. This mainly because of the 2 strong points in a cars rotation. Every car runs strong red lining in highest gear. But the second point is again car specific. Some run low hard, some LOVE third gear, some run 4th and 5th, and hardly use top gear (as rarely there's a track with straights long enough to need it). Again, all car specific.

I'm saying this because, maybe there's a preset you can use?
Like, put them into category's, maybe drive trains ?
Or have alternate start points, like A B C, and maybe try the whole set on all three, drive a lap, and see which works best?

Since your trying to help us, I'm trying to help you here, lol.
When I tune a transmission, it takes me hours of gameplay. First on stage x, then on apricot hill (where 90% of my changes come from), and then I drive Nurburgring when I'm done, with the 3 sets I've settled on. Figure out which I like the best, and use that. This is why I don't pump out tunes very fast. It takes time to fine tune, regular tuning can be done in An hour, but fine tuning is tedious, lol.
I hope this info helps you. Don't be discouraged, your doing a great job ^^

When I tune a transmission, it takes me hours of gameplay. First on stage x, then on apricot hill (where 90% of my changes come from), and then I drive Nurburgring when I'm done, with the 3 sets I've settled on. Figure out which I like the best, and use that. This is why I don't pump out tunes very fast. It takes time to fine tune, regular tuning can be done in An hour, but fine tuning is tedious, lol.
I hope this info helps you. Don't be discouraged, your doing a great job ^^
Wow, all that extra-care on the transmission... I set a transmission in 10 minutes (I set suspension and dampers in 3-4 hours though :)) :)
We could work together :)

@tkc_cz : I writing something about gearbox atm in C#, but my program will not do the same thing as yours. it doesn't give ratio advices, it will be making the user choose the speeds where he shifts/redline.
Too bad I can't use torque and power graphs or I could have a very usefull program...

Wow, all that extra-care on the transmission... I set a transmission in 10 minutes (I set suspension and dampers in 3-4 hours though :)) :)
We could work together :)

@tkc_cz : I writing something about gearbox atm in C#, but my program will not do the same thing as yours. it doesn't give ratio advices, it will be making the user choose the speeds where he shifts/redline.
Too bad I can't use torque and power graphs or I could have a very usefull program...
That's funny, lol.
I spend so much time on the transmission, because in GT5, I was able to make such a HUGE difference in lap times between the standard, the method standard by others, and the time tuned transmissions.
I basically started from Motor City's methods in GT5, and then developed my own way of fine tuning from there. GT6 is different, but I found I can use the same method in fine tuning. The difference from a stock to a tuned transmission can be up and over 5 full seconds lap time depending on the car.
That's why if this guy gets this thing working, he will save us soooo much time, lol.
About the dampers you mentioned, that too is funny. I spend like 30-40 minutes on all of the suspension settings, then I'm done. It's the LSD That does me in, lol.
I set the initial LSD. (No other changes, all stock)
Then I set the suspension.
Then I recheck the LSD with 5-10 laps and adjust accordingly.
Then I do the transmission.
Then I once again recheck the LSD with numerous laps.
Everything you change, down to the weight of your drivers helmet (joke), and you have to recheck the LSD. But if you don't have a so-so LSD already in place before the change, you won't know how much to tweak. So I literally visit the LSD like 50 times over the coarse of a full tune, lol.
I wish there was a way around that, but I can't imagine how that would be possible.

I think we could work together actually, lol.
Throw an idea at me, maybe we could make a Di'Vinci together?

Oh, I need to add this. I didn't want to edit my post, because this is an entirely different subject altogether.

The whole process of transmission tuning would be SO much easier if we had that mile-track timed route-x DLC that they gave us in GT5.
Has anyone heard any rumors to that being given to us again at any point?

Oh, I need to add this. I didn't want to edit my post, because this is an entirely different subject altogether.

The whole process of transmission tuning would be SO much easier if we had that mile-track timed route-x DLC that they gave us in GT5.
Has anyone heard any rumors to that being given to us again at any point?
I put an idea in the suggestion forum but almost nobody liked it. They are all for "quarter mile track".

For the tuning method, I usually something close, but starting with basic suspension and basic aero with stock LSD before basic LSD + clutch selection. Then refined suspension, then refined LSD, then refined supsension then refined LSD...
Then aero, refined LSD. Then braking, refined LSD. Then aero, refined LSD. Then braking, refined LSD...
Then "tranny", "refined" LSD (inital mostly), refined aero and again if not good and that's it.
My "tranny tuning" is setting the rigth clutch mostly.

The problem is I don't allow myself to change the final usually, because else the initial of the LSD have to be reworked.

Last edited:
That's horrible!

Why do you want to know what a car does BEFORE it opens up?
I mean, I garuntee everyone who didn't like the mile were all drag tuners.
The one we had in GT5 had records of 1/4 mile, 0-60, 0-100, 1/2 mile, I mean, they would get what they want and more, with a mile track. Idiots IMHO.

Well, here is what I do for transmission settings:

GranTurismotransmissionsettings_zps238debfe.png

I first set the Final Gear to the lowest or close to the lowest. I set the Max Speed far right. I use the lowest value available for 2nd and the highest value available for my top gear. I plug them into my Excel calculator, and set my final for what works best on any given track.

I find that often, with the typical 6-speed transmission, I have to use the 5th speed for my top gear in the calculator, and adjust 6th.

I generally set 1st gear to the lowest value available, but I assume there are low power cars that one might want to have more torque at the wheels in first rather than less. A low power car might work better with higher numbers, but for high power cars... minimum is best.

Note that for brevity in calculating, I dropped the decimal points. If you want to use the decimal points, then in the formulas with "round," change the "0" to "3"

Last edited:
Hi, ive remade my calculator. Its really basic, but it does its job well (at least better then my previous calc:D). Special thx to Acan, and jtqmopar for calculations! If you got any ideas how to improve it, dont hesitate to share them. PS: You need java to run it. Download links below.

You can see what exactly it does at jtqmopar's thread here ->
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ing-made-easy-the-basics.294738/#post-9115708

image.jpg

DOWNLOAD JAVA:
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/b0c273ipftpdbz5/TransmissionTuner1_4beta.jar

Okay, I just dl'd this and for some reason, nothing happens when I click the "Calculate" button after entering the lowest/highest ratio values, max rpm, and # of gears. The car I'm currently fiddling with is the Toyota CELICA 2000GT-R (ST162) '86. I installed the FC Tranny, which gives the car 1 additional gear (6 in total). As mentioned, nothing happens when I hit the calculate button...all the info I enter just stays the same...there is also no way to calculate the final gear or max speed. Is there something I'm missing?

Hi can someone just please guide me to open the jar file via selecting default program in windows.

As stated in another post, you need Java in order to use the program. Install that before downloading the file. After you d/l the file go to your downloads (Computer ---> Downloads), and just double-click on that file to open it.

As stated in another post, you need Java in order to use the program. Install that before downloading the file. After you d/l the file go to your downloads (Computer ---> Downloads), and just double-click on that file to open it.

Thanks bud but i did download java. At the moment the icon looks like this so i need to right click---> open with---> choose default program.

upload_2014-2-11_7-26-47.png

upload_2014-2-11_7-27-43.png

So which one must i choose to change it from opening with Winrar to Java?

Thanks.

Thanks bud but i did download java. At the moment the icon looks like this so i need to right click---> open with---> choose default program.

View attachment 114034
View attachment 114035
So which one must i choose to change it from opening with Winrar to Java?

Thanks.

Did you try double-clicking on that icon instead of right-clicking? That MIGHT solve the problem...frankly, I don'r remember what I did to access the calculator lol. MY problem is that after I enter my info and click on the calculate button, nothing happens. There ARE other methods to tuning the tranny, such as the flip trick, which is explained in other threads...try Motor City Hami's tuning guide.

As I start getting into tuning my own rides, was wondering if this calculator is still good to go after all the updates since the last message in this thread.
Any one knows?

Never mind, the jar won't launch, so question is moot.

Last edited:
Anyone get this working under Linux? All I get is a tiny window which cannot be resized.

Ran into a small problem.

*the file downloaded and opened fine but after i enter the ratios and click calculate nothing happens.

*when entering ratios do you need to put in he point mark between numbers ?

SOLVED THE PROBLEM !!

dont put in points, justput in numbers "eg" 4.130 will be 4130

Last edited:
Back