Tree

• Thread starter Fawxe_
  • 56 comments
United States
Zimbabwe, NY
Fawxe_
Guys, I've been dragging some pretty fast people lately and i'd say I lost about 2/3 of the races due to my tree.
Can anyone give me any tips to improve my tree? It'll be greatly appreciated!

Internet connection...or program your left stick down as ebrake, useing the lightest pressure will hold even if the ebrake light isn't lit, that has helped my treeing in the last 3 months or so, but with bad Internet ping it will only help so much.

Thanks, but how do I check my internet speed?

Search something on google. If your results come up within 3 seconds, you're good! If it takes longer than 3 seconds, well, you have a bad connection.

You can have the fastest download speed available but if the ping is high 250ms or higher then you'll most likely get treed, also ping varies depending in what server and its location your trying to communicate with.

I'd be happy with ping under 50, problem is you'll never know what you'll ping with the guy who is treeing.

If you are willing to spend money, contact your ISP and tell them you want a faster connection. You will most likely have to get a better bandwidth/download-upload speed but that will drop you ping. If there is an optical cable leading to your house/flat, I'd suggest you use that. Of course, that requires you to get a contract with your ISP.

What you can do at home is, get the smallest TV/monitor possible. If you have a chance (but I don't think they still sell them, at least not in my country), get a Tube TV. They are much more responsive then the LED/LCD/plasma TV most of us use. Although if you have one of the latest LED TVs, with an 800 Hz refresh rate, I don't think its that much slower, but still, difference is noticeable. One of the options is to use the component/SCART cable that you got with the PS3, you know, the one that consists of 3 cables, white, red and yellow (not sure, haven't used it), which is supposed to be quicker than the HDMI. If you are running on Wi-Fi, ditch that too and get a cable to your PS3, be it via a powerline connector or laying a cable through the house... Be sure not to get the linksys powerline connector, I got it and it sucks (it's slow). Get the netgear 500mbps one. They range from 60 to 160$. Depends on the offer you can get.

Also, if you know your way with computers (just a little bit), asing a static IP to your PS3 and forward the ports GT5 uses. This is supposed to get the data directly to the PS3 without your router processing it beforehand. At least that is what I think it does...

Hope that helps you some :)

EDIT: Ping is the time that takes the data to be transfered from the server to your device. Ping highly depends on the location of the server. I usually get 16ms local ping from a server 20 miles away. If I do a test from a US server, NYC, it gets me 162-172ms ping. Test with a server in Sydney, 399-426ms ping. So this is the time it takes data to come from the server to me. I.e if an American ghost ghosts for me, the time that takes me to see the ghost is (ghosters ping, which doesn't matter because both draggers get the same delay due to it) + (my ping to the US server which is 172-226 depending on the server location).

Last edited:
Search something on google. If your results come up within 3 seconds, you're good! If it takes longer than 3 seconds, well, you have a bad connection.

It's not necessarily the internet speed, it's the ping between PD servers and your modem. Speedtest.net is the website you'll want to go to, it will give you a download & upload speed as well as a ping for whatever server you want to test. Depending on whether you mostly play with people from the opposite coast or nearby, select a server in that area and check what the stats are. If your ping is 200 or higher, you'll most likely get some lag online and have a worse ghost. Under 100 is good, under 50 is awesome but, unless you're within 100 miles of the server, you probably won't have it that low.

Ways to lower your ping:

Set modem/wiresless router to DMZ mode. Demilitarized mode quickens the responses between inbound and outbound streams in the router, making your responses online appear quicker to others as well as theirs to you. Doing this, however, makes it easier for people to hack into your router or computer, so do this at your own risk.

Hardline your PS3 from your modem or router. Run an ethernet cable from the router directly to the PS3; even if you have wireless, hardline will always be a minimum of 33% faster than wireless signal. This is because it reduces the length of time it takes to receive the signal back and forth, and less signal loss the further you are away from the router. If you're within 10 feet, you'll get roughly 70-75% of hardline speed, 20 feet is ~50-60%, 25-30feet 35-45%, and over 30 feet you'll be lucky to keep the signal alive unless you have a good router. If you don't have a wireless router, and use a splitter instead because you run internet to your computer and PS3, try running the PS3 directly from the modem and disconnect when not in use. You'll get a bump in speed and your ping will be reduced from the splitter leeching your connection.

The smallest TV in my house is a 19 inch and that's stored in the basement, you think that'll respond better than the 40 inch in my living room?

The smallest TV in my house is a 19 inch and that's stored in the basement, you think that'll respond better than the 40 inch in my living room?

Yes, but it is going to get frowned upon if you start treeing everyone, I'm just letting you know ahead of time.

I have one of those component cables and a old jvc iart tv collecting dust that has the inputs, I should try it out. The problem is many TV's don't have component video inputs, just the higher end tube TV's.

I ran the test and the ping is 21ms, that good?

It depends where the other players are at; run a test for major cities across the country, and average them out. Remember there's people from all across the world, so that guy treeing you could be 3000 miles or more away, but he's closer to the main server than you are.

The thing about me is that when someone ghosts I see it really fast, but then my thumb get all slow and doesn't react, Lol

Mikeybc
I have one of those component cables and a old jvc iart tv collecting dust that has the inputs, I should try it out. The problem is many TV's don't have component video inputs, just the higher end tube TV's.

I have one of those in the basememt. Its the top model too. But the problem is, it has around 70 kilos so I cant just carry it around the house at any time. And I can't really sacrifise the Video quality for responsivity. The funny thing is, the TV came with an external subwoofer that fits on the top of the TV. Packs quite a punch lol. It is even 1260i, and most of the TVs were 1080i at the time.

Why spend a few hundred dollars for a game that will be dead in 3-5 years, weather it be GT5 or GT6, some people take video games way to seriously, I've heard of people buying box TV's just to tree better and all of this talk about connection is true but it is just a game, there's really no need for all of that stuff if said person isn't a pro gamer that makes a living from playing video games professionally. Just my two cents on this situation.

Why spend a few hundred dollars for a game that will be dead in 3-5 years, weather it be GT5 or GT6, some people take video games way to seriously, I've heard of people buying box TV's just to tree better and all of this talk about connection is true but it is just a game, there's really no need for all of that stuff if said person isn't a pro gamer that makes a living from playing video games professionally. Just my two cents on this situation.

The connection isn't just for this game, it's for any games you play online, for any system. I play shooters in my spare time so I like to be as lag-free as possible when running with 30 other people in a single game.

The connection isn't just for this game, it's for any games you play online, for any system. I play shooters in my spare time so I like to be as lag-free as possible when running with 30 other people in a single game.

True, I get your point as I'm sure you also get mine. Both are valid answers but I guess it's all in the person, me personally I don't have an issue on any games and my connection is one step above average and I can join anyone with no problems on just about any game, as for treeing, I've only had issues treeing about two people and that's only due to the fact that I'm not hardwired but if I plug in my wireless adapter then it's like I am hardwired and I can tree those said people too. Wi-Fi for the win! :D

I have one of those in the basememt. Its the top model too. But the problem is, it has around 70 kilos so I cant just carry it around the house at any time. And I can't really sacrifise the Video quality for responsivity. The funny thing is, the TV came with an external subwoofer that fits on the top of the TV. Packs quite a punch lol. It is even 1260i, and most of the TVs were 1080i at the time.

70 kilos, ouch...yeah that would certainly be staying put at my place too ! I just have a old 24 inch low end job.

Fawxe_
The thing about me is that when someone ghosts I see it really fast, but then my thumb get all slow and doesn't react, Lol

Well keep trying.

I play on a big LCD most of the time, and an even bigger plasma sometimes and I think I have a prettt good tree. Use an analog or R2/L2 for your ebrake. Biggest thing that helped me was to not look at the ghost. Faster reaction when you rest to something in your peripherals.

I play on a big LCD most of the time, and an even bigger plasma sometimes and I think I have a prettt good tree. Use an analog or R2/L2 for your ebrake. Biggest thing that helped me was to not look at the ghost. Faster reaction when you rest to something in your peripherals.

I use a 27' LED HD TV, I use L2 as my E-BRAKE & I also do the same as you Nick, but I usually just look at my E-BRAKE light:lol: so I usually get treed because I am focusing on the light more than the ghost:(

I had the same problem, I got very fast times but my tree let me down :(
Luckely for me there was a hero called Janco1995....
Just do as Mikey said and you will be fine Fawxe
Have a nice day all

Back