Trying to learn how to drift well in GT5P

• Thread starter Shadow106
  • 49 comments
well first dont mix tires, and start with n's
also make sure your on pro and all aids off
and then it's all about practice really

im getting used to drifting around with the cars now... i guess its because its my first time on a 900 wheel... but id like to know if any of you guys go as far as fine tuning your gear ratios or anything... id like to know if there can be a "perfect tuning" for the most common 350z! i know everybody has their own setting to fit their driving style, but i know that we all have many things in common like tcs, abs, tires, asm, physics on pro, etc... so why not gear ratois.... just curious... im a bit illiterate when it comes to gear ratios... just curious... thanks guys!!!!

If you go and look at the leaderboards the top guys use profesional physics and N1 tires. Technique is everything, you can have the best suspension setup in the world but if you don't have the technique down its useless. Hi-powered cars teach you throttle control and low-powered cars teach you technique. The best advice I can give you is Practice, Practice, Practice.

yes practice practice practice , and the top guys can use standard or pro and get big results, just on standard its done a little quicker (eg going into your drift 8 mph faster) .One tip i can give you get ya gearing wright ,,camber and toe in out settings i can pretty much use any setting , and as for controllers the game pad is about the best then 180 degree wheels .But if you want real fun 900 degree wheel g25

hey i use the ds3 unfortunately and i too found that the physics of gt5p needed some getting use to. fiddling with the cars i sort of found this out, using the cockpit view sucks for drifting with the ds3! DONT GO THERE. I couldnt link straights well and sometimes when changing direction the car would over correct and slide and 90 degrees into the wall. Using the same tyres front and back are ok but with the physics i found the the rear tends to get away from the front when you throw the car around. I now use N2 Front and N3 rears, the rear tyres take a bit of work to get out( not as much as you think) but when they are out the countersteer issue with the ds3 improves coz i find that the front is resonsive enough to initiate a slide but not responsive enough to snap the car. You basically steer with the throttle around corners. Try using the front bar view where you only see road i found this view to significantly improve my drifts. Can now link the whole fuji circuit with the blitz. If you want to add another ds3 user add me mate PSN= klutch_kick

Wanted to share an observation...

I improved my drifting remarkably by paying better attention to the degree of countersteer.

In Nordwand, in the first tight hairpins you want LESS countersteer. In long curves you want MORE countersteer. Once you initiate a drift, quickly pick a certain countersteer angle and focus on throttle steering from then on. Modify the countersteer angle only when really necessary.

This observation helped me from ~6000 range to 10 000 range.

I'm using a DFP.

QUESTION

Now, the problem is that I can't hold the drift in 3rd corner. If I approach fast, then I slide out in the middle. If I approach slower, the drift either ends or I slam inside the curve. I get ~1700 in this corner and I don't know what to do. Tires are N2 front and rear, car is Clio V6 Tuned.

The other problem is that I can't use the entire area between flags. From the videos, I see that tough guys initiate a "contra" drift long before the corner. They basically drift right ahead, gather points, and then flick to the other side to enter the corner. How the hell they do this? :)

^^Drifting is really about the gear settings in GT5P. If you get the basic idea of how to countersteer while oversteering, then it's all automatic from there, with just a bit of practicing more. Did you try playing with the gears?

i used to be pretty handy when i played with a pad, then i got a G25... its a whole new ball game, ive only had it for a couple of days, ive been playing pretty flat out with it tho

atm i can drift pretty well with the cuppafrappalappachino tunes... but as soon as i upgrade to even a 350z or something im spinning out or slipping wide. espesh seen as i need to buy a joy stick or summit for the handbreak, cause im finding it impossible to use it whilst binded to the wheel

its all about learning "the right ammount" no one can really teach you it, you just learn to feel for the right amount of counter steer and throttal... i know im by no means a guru, but thats hte basic pricibles of it

FR drive N1's and alot of prac is the best way to learn

hey what is the best car to do drift in because right now i using a F40 i thick its too power its it cuz i not sure :💡:nervous:

For a learner on a wheel the 1st car to master is the tunned cap either N1 or N2 front with an N1 rear, its the easiest by far, i'm currently goin from pad to wheel and that car can be mastered quickly, then go to the 350z

For me I tried to start out learning how to drift with a wheel but I couldn't make much progress at all for a long time, but I did learn quiet a few things about the physic of the car. I then go back to DS3 and learn how to drift on it. I can drift decently on the DS3 now and understand well the physics of drifting. I would really recommend you learn how to drift on the DS3 first and try to understand as much as you can about drifting first. It's all trials and observations. Don't be afraid of tackling corner at different speeds. It will give you different experiences. Try not using something too high power as you're beginner. I recommend using the stock M3 or Lexus IS-F, or the stock 350z. And as everyone else would say practice and patience make perfect.

It's also worth noting that it's recommended to have plenty of normal wheel experience of performance driving, you'll naturally begin learning how to correct small slides and learn the cars limits, and how to go over them, just by driving and pushing yourself further and further.

It's also worth noting that it's recommended to have plenty of normal wheel experience of performance driving, you'll naturally begin learning how to correct small slides and learn the cars limits, and how to go over them, just by driving and pushing yourself further and further.

True. It is recommendable to actually drive the tracks normally first (Use higher quality tires, but still have your traction control off). It will help you observe different speed & angle entries. When you can drive the whole track without spinning out and have a decent time then you can probably get some drift going on in that track.

pick a light powerful car learn to drift in it by trying to race on the line ur car will step out on you forcing u to correct it and b4 u know it ur drifting. took me 3 months of ****ing about with it but but ive made top 10 on a couple tracks

Wanted to share an observation...

I improved my drifting remarkably by paying better attention to the degree of countersteer.

In Nordwand, in the first tight hairpins you want LESS countersteer. In long curves you want MORE countersteer. Once you initiate a drift, quickly pick a certain countersteer angle and focus on throttle steering from then on. Modify the countersteer angle only when really necessary.

This observation helped me from ~6000 range to 10 000 range.

I'm using a DFP.

QUESTION

Now, the problem is that I can't hold the drift in 3rd corner. If I approach fast, then I slide out in the middle. If I approach slower, the drift either ends or I slam inside the curve. I get ~1700 in this corner and I don't know what to do. Tires are N2 front and rear, car is Clio V6 Tuned.

The other problem is that I can't use the entire area between flags. From the videos, I see that tough guys initiate a "contra" drift long before the corner. They basically drift right ahead, gather points, and then flick to the other side to enter the corner. How the hell they do this? :)

You have those two concepts mixed up its the other way around lol.Heres a tip for begginer drifters.The longer or straighter the curve the less your going to countersteer. And the tighter the curve the more your going to countersteer.Drifting is all about countersteering and angle,having the right angle for the turn will depict how fast ur gona go and how hard your going to work the wheel and etc.Here is an example if i was going to drift on daytona long ovals i would need as little angle as possible so that my car would have the same angle as the turn.I woundnt drift perpendicular(90 degrees) to the turn,thats just to much angle and i would probaly spin out.Its the opposite for tight turns like eiger,you want more angle so you cant match those smooth s-turns LOL.Hope this help but all together you have the right concept 👍

heres a quick vid to show you about angle,this vids is pretty old back when i first started,but you get the idea lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxjvvlrkJ_U

Last edited:
I really want to learn in the blitz. I just wish others would post their findings in tuning as to what works.

californ-eye-aye mutha lickas! drop ur gears short as all get out so 1st and 2nd are useless 3rd 4th and 5th are the gears to use all are instant skids so u just gotta learn to power were u need to not where u think u sshould, front wheels should be pointed in the direction of where u want to go

Are there any significant differences between how you would tune and drift a 4WD as opposed to RWD? I'm working on an Evo IX Tuned drift setup.

Thanks for all the awesome info guys, I recently got a Logitech G25 and to be honest I find drifting using the wheel much easier :)

i have found that the ahem s200 with a 5spd close ratio transmission and tweked suspension is a good starter car if your new to drifting or if you are having trouble with your lines

Back