tuning car, need opinions.

United States
TX
gtmustang543
I have a 06 ford GT (prem) and i have been draging this car for the longest time. i had my car tuned for indy,, but wit the new ssrx i thought it was time for a new tune. but recently i started noticing people with the same specs as me handing my a$$ to me, so im wondering is there any room for improvement to get it faster? i recently read a post from Dr_Slump's Drag Tuning Bible, and it help me out ALOT, but im wondering, can i get this any better???

Specs Are as follows:

FULLY TUNED

HP:882
TQ:756

1203Kg
413.6 Driven miles

1/4 mile: 9.302
1 mile: 22.699
0-60: 2.307
0-100mph: 4.252
max speed: never tried in this car and tune
g-force: 1.25gs

Setup:

Tranny:

1st: 4.312
2nd: 4.022
3rd: 2.922
4th: 2.131
5th: 1.577
6th: 1.207
Final: 2.350
top speed: 149

Suspension:

ride height: -10f 40r
srpings: 11.8f 11.6r
dampers: both front and rear bound/rebound 8
roll bars: both f and r 4
camber: 0 both f and r
toe: 0 both f and r

LSD
initial:10
acc:40
brk:20

most of the setup is stock with only tranny tuned and minor tweaks to susp. i know there is room for improvement, but where? all and any help is appreciated!

Specs Are as follows:

FULLY TUNED

HP:882
TQ:756

1203Kg
413.6 Driven miles

1/4 mile: 9.302
1 mile: 22.699
0-60: 2.307
0-100mph: 4.252
max speed: never tried in this car and tune
g-force: 1.25gs

Setup:

Tranny:

Suspension:

srpings: 11.8f 11.6r
dampers: both front and rear bound/rebound 8
roll bars: both f and r 4

LSD
initial:10
acc:40
brk:20

most of the setup is stock with only tranny tuned and minor tweaks to susp. i know there is room for improvement, but where? all and any help is appreciated!

Add a significant amount of toe to the rear wheels... it will help you spin less and hook up better.

Add a significant amount of toe to the rear wheels... it will help you spin less and hook up better.

adding more toe will increase traction? with my current setup i launch in 3rd because 1st is so long and 2nd&3rd are so short, should i try launching in a higher gear?

Here is a tune for a no stripe for you to use as a means to get going in the right direction- https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6609264#post6609264

Compare the two and see which adjustments help you out. I'm not sure that the gearing is the same for these two cars, but just make sure your gears are tight with no shiftlag and you are not hitting the rev-limiter.

but the 5 kg diffs wont matter? im sure it wont but still... also isnt the no stripe a bit weaker than the 06?

My last effort was 9.091 I think for my no stripe (with the tune I provided) since the update. Before I was getting 9.06x's. But there are times a good bit faster than that. I haven't got an '06 GT to compare though.

...snip
I recently read a post from Dr_Slump's Drag Tuning Bible, and it help me out ALOT, but im wondering, can i get this any better???
...I see, an update is really needed, 🤬! I must find some motivation though.
Tranny:
Why is your 2nd gear that tight? The gears are probably not close enough, tell me the topspeed in the top right corner. Sorry, but I'm not sitting in front of my PS3 atm.
Suspension:
Rear max is good, but try a higher front.
Front camber could help.
You need lots of toe!
Positive toe for the rear.

My last effort was 9.091 I think for my no stripe (with the tune I provided) since the update. Before I was getting 9.06x's. But there are times a good bit faster than that. I haven't got an '06 GT to compare though.

I just did a 9.204 on the link for tune u provided. That was my no stripe, now my 06 9.284, also y do i read alot of post saying that their times were faster be4 da update? Did pd eff up?

I just did a 9.204 on the link for tune u provided. That was my no stripe, now my 06 9.284, also y do i read alot of post saying that their times were faster be4 da update? Did pd eff up?
Yes, the times are slower now.

...I see, an update is really needed, 🤬! I must find some motivation though.

Why is your 2nd gear that tight? The gears are probably not close enough, tell me the topspeed in the top right corner. Sorry, but I'm not sitting in front of my PS3 atm.

Rear max is good, but try a higher front.

Front camber could help.

You need lots of toe!
Positive toe for the rear.

New setup

1st 3.863
2. 2.699
3. 2.221
4. 1.851
5. 1.514
6. 1.254
Final. 2.457
Top speed. 180
Top speed in corner. 234

Susp.
Height 0f 40 r
Spring 5f 15.4r
Damp ext 1f 10r
Damp comp 1f 4r
Rollbars 1f 7r
Camber 5f 2.3 r
Toe -1f 1r

Downforce max

Lsd
Initial 60
Acc 60
Brk 20

Fastest time in this setup

1/4mile 9.166
1mile 22.552
0-60 2.173
0-100 4.085
Gs 1.42

adding more toe will increase traction? with my current setup i launch in 3rd because 1st is so long and 2nd&3rd are so short, should i try launching in a higher gear?

Essentially the more toe you add the more tire is in contact with the ground... thus more traction.

Try this...( you might want to use another settings sheet)

Rear toe to 1.00..... 0.00 front

Ride height... -20 front... 39 rear

Spring rate... 14.0 front... 6.0 rear.

Both dampers... 8 front....2 rear

ARB's...6

LSD

Initial-5

acc-60

Transmission

Bring your top speed on your trans (the selector bar) all the way down to its lowest setting... 149

For the next part.... use the graph.

Take your 2nd gear all the way to the left... (mine is 2.760)

5th gear all the way to the right. (1.604)

Move 4th gear to the right until it it becomes parallel with 5th. (1.933)

3rd gear should be close... but move it to the right until its parallel with 4th and 5th. ( Mine was like 17ish clicks to the right...2.318)

6th gear all the way to the right (1.346)

Then move your final gear to the left until you reach your desired mph. (somewhere between 170 and 180)

I just made that up on the fly... but thats the basic FR drag tune in a nutshell.. that will be $29.95 please lol

Last edited:
Essentially the more toe you add the more tire is in contact with the ground... thus more traction.

Try this...( you might want to use another settings sheet)

Rear toe to 1.00..... 0.00 front

Ride height... -20 front... 39 rear

Spring rate... 14.0 front... 6.0 rear.

Both dampers... 8 front....2 rear

ARB's...6

LSD

Initial-5

acc-60

Transmission

Bring your top speed on your trans (the selector bar) all the way down to its lowest setting... 149

For the next part.... use the graph.

Take your 2nd gear all the way to the left... (mine is 2.760)

5th gear all the way to the right. (1.604)

Move 4th gear to the right until it it becomes parallel with 5th. (1.933)

3rd gear should be close... but move it to the right until its parallel with 4th and 5th. ( Mine was like 17ish clicks to the right...2.318)

6th gear all the way to the right (1.346)

Then move your final gear to the left until you reach your desired mph. (somewhere between 170 and 180)

I just made that up on the fly... but thats the basic FR drag tune in a nutshell.. that will be $29.95 please lol

So do these tunes work for any FR car in general or are they limited to the fgt?

So do these tunes work for any FR car in general or are they limited to the fgt?

Suspension/LSD... yeah. Thats my basic FR set up.

As far as the trans go.... for the most part. It will work for higher hp cars like an Enzo/Supra/Corvette/Viper.... but for lower hp car.... Muscle cars/ new Camaro... stuff like that... you may want to try and get them to leave in 1st.

Its the same basic concept...First all the way to the left...leave 2nd alone... make 3rd 4th and 5th parallel... 6th all the way to the right. Always have your top speed selector to the lowest MPH possible. (note... thats how you set up a 4WD trans by the way...)

Suspension/LSD... yeah. Thats my basic FR set up.

As far as the trans go.... for the most part. It will work for higher hp cars like an Enzo/Supra/Corvette/Viper.... but for lower hp car.... Muscle cars/ new Camaro... stuff like that... you may want to try and get them to leave in 1st.

Its the same basic concept...First all the way to the left...leave 2nd alone... make 3rd 4th and 5th parallel... 6th all the way to the right. Always have your top speed selector to the lowest MPH possible. (note... thats how you set up a 4WD trans by the way...)

Nice posts it'll help people out.

Explain!
How is that possible?

Here is my guess on the way it works in GT5, It's because of the angle it acts as being like a wider tyre. heres a crappy image of what I mean, Imagine in the pic you are only looking at the contact area of the trye, if you add toe angle it gives you a larger contact patch.

2la6lhl.jpg

red line representing the area of contact with no toe angle, blue lines representing the area of contact with toe angle.

I know in the real world adding huge amounts of toe doesn't work the same it does in GT5.

Explain!
How is that possible?

Basically... adding toe is turning your tire sideways... in doing so you get more surface area touching the ground because its no longer parallel with your direction of travel. You are a tunnel tuner... and as you know toe will slow you down because your fighting the natural physics of the wheel... witch wants to role straight. By turning your drive wheels in with toe... your contact patch goes from [-] to /=/ plus the forces being applied to the side of the tire -->/=/ ...Your basically using more of your tire because your dragging it out of alignment with your car in essence witch causes more wear on the tire but give you more traction. Thats the best i can explain it with out a bunch of physics mumbo jumbo lol

Latest Posts

Back