Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
So it just ended so what do you think about this episode? Sadly a lot of parts i get some connection lag so i can't really tell.

Last edited:
Test/trip was the same old, same old. Would have appreciated it if they'd chosen something besides the Nissan and Bentley to go with the M6 GC. Those two have been tested to death on TG already.

Fewer negatives tonight compared to last weekend. Mostly Hammond's attempt at arguing and the odd camping gag. Skipped most of the SIARPC. Hill climb with Stig antics was the only highlight. Had hoped for more, but it's an improvement.

Not outstanding but no major drawbacks*. Race up the iron pit was interesting as was the brake test. A solid episode.

*Just the flimflamming. No consistency.

May hates the GT-R, May loves the GT-R.
They love the MP4-12, they hate the MP4-12.
Hammond loves the Huarcan, Hammond hates the Huarcan.

Last edited:
I liked it. Classic TG. Just a bit sad that there were no news this time, since I always love that segment.

But I did had a bit of an unrest about the cars they drove. I would've liked if Jeremy went for the regular M6 coupe, cause that would've been more similar to the other two cars.

But as a whole, I would've really liked if they didn't have the GT and GTR (as Wiegert said, they have been tested to death), but had the RS7 and CLS63 along the M6 GC. That would've been a really great test of the performance german saloon-coupes.

Anyway, still a great episode. Already waiting for next weeks one.

May hates the GT-R, May loves the GT-R.

Uncredited screenplay by M. Night Shyamalan?

It would have made more sense if May and Hammond had swapped cars before filming. Though I'm not entirely convinced that either of those were their favourites anyway.

They should have had a Phaeton rather than the Bentley, let's face it.

I would have welcomed The Phaeton. Yes.

Last edited:
NhN4jNh.jpg

I loved this part XD
Then he looks
MvrVwrb.jpg

Annndd iPlayer
vACEaqI.jpg

Last edited:
The challenge was to bring your favourite GT, not bring what hasn't been tested.

Great Episode, Loved the number plate bit ending was pretty meh though.

Would of preffered if it was across the whole outback or something had no interest in the farm nonsense.

Would've been better if one of them had developed a problem. Stigs hillclimbing was epic. M6 unable to launch was fun to see. For all the camping they do, I bet every once in a while they wish they had a caravan... SIARPC was a remarkably good interview, doesn't hurt it wasn't a mewling UK pop idol. In balance a great episode, though the outback dragged on a bit, should've edited it down and given us the news and would've been better. Cow headbutting GT-R tho!!!

The challenge was to bring your favourite GT, not bring what hasn't been tested.

But arguably Richard Hammond and James May didn't choose their favourite GTs. May has slated the GT-R and all cars that have been proven at the Nürburgring... until it suited him in this episode.

It didn't detract from the episode that much but I'm a stickler for continuity.

I'd still like to think it's Tiff Needell.

It's most likely not, but still....

Yeah really doubt it.

Pretty enjoyable episode for me, I really love it when they punish really expensive cars (That GTR on the hill climb was a sight). Overall a pretty good episode.

So what if May changes his mind, I used to like the Bentley but now I don't.

I'd say "Aussie Stig" was "Mad Mike" Whiddett, his driving style reminded me of his RX-7 video.

More than likely brought for the sake of convenience. I can't imagine them making the same choices if there wasn't any off-road driving involved.

At least Clarkson's choice appeared to be based on genuine fondness.

Just saw Australia episode and the cars confuse me. Why bring a GT-R when they said Gran Tourer? A GT-R is a supercar is it not? An Aston Virage or Vanquish would've suited May better. Overall it was an alright episode. I love that M6, I mean, the GT-R is one of my dream cars but that M6 Gran Coupe is just amazing, best looking BMW since the E92 M3. The Bentley also looks much better, even though nothing has changed about it. GT-R looks no different.
th

Just saw Australia episode and the cars confuse me. Why bring a GT-R when they said Gran Tourer? A GT-R is a supercar is it not? An Aston Virage or Vanquish would've suited May better. Overall it was an alright episode. I love that M6, I mean, the GT-R is one of my dream cars but that M6 Gran Coupe is just amazing, best looking BMW since the E92 M3. The Bentley also looks much better, even though nothing has changed about it. GT-R looks no different.
th
I would say the GT-R fits the GT mold.

It's a front engine car with space inside to fit 4 comfortably just like the others, infact I wouldn't class it a supercar simply because apart from performance the car is nothing like one.

I don't have the GT-R down as a supercar.

A performance grand tourer seems apt. 2+2 FR layout for something to eat up motorway miles.

I would say the GT-R fits the GT mold.

It's a front engine car with space inside to fit 4 comfortably just like the others, infact I wouldn't class it a supercar simply because apart from performance the car is nothing like one.
Yes, but it was built to be driven around a track, most GT cars are built for long journeys, like the Bentley and M6 GC, maybe an Aston Martin Virage would've suited better? Or maybe a Ferrari California T? Either way it was a good episode and I knew from the start the GT-R would've won the hillclimb, but I am puzzled at the drag race as the Bentley has less power (510HP V 552HP) and more weight (2.5 Tonnes V 1.7 Tonnes) and the GT-R has a better launch control system.

but I am puzzled at the drag race as the Bentley has less power (510HP V 552HP) and more weight (2.5 Tonnes V 1.7 Tonnes) and the GT-R has a better launch control system.

I. The driver.

II. Take anything Top Gear do with a pinch of salt.

Back