Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
DQuaN
The stig is Not Damon Hill, nor has he ever been. Damon hill was a guest on the show last week.

Current theory and reports from people who've actually been to the studio, The Stig is a selection of people which includes Damon Hill.

ExigeExcel
But wouldn't that make the results quite varied? Kind of lame.

It's never been a fair test, the fact that they time the cars in varying conditions itself is enough to invalidate the times. Saying the times are "damp", "mildly moist" or "wet" and adding a few seconds isn't very accurate, is it...

Maybe. Maybe not.

Remember that most F1 drivers, when plonked into a wide selection of cars, lap within 7% of each other at worst. Also remember that Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Jacques Villeneuve and one other (possibly Schumacher) all managed to return the same qualifying lap to the thousandth once, in three totally different cars.

I was quite impressed that Damon Hill managed to score the fastest time on Top Gear without breaking sweat, and with having (what looked like) a pretty rubbish lap... he was on the grass, had a bad start, and obviously wasn't on top form, and yet managed to beat everyone on their extensive list by over half a second... I know he should be expected to be faster, but it was still impressive... I thought that the identity of The Stig was quite well known??? or are people just not saying because of spoilers? :)

It's never been a fair test, the fact that they time the cars in varying conditions itself is enough to invalidate the times. Saying the times are "damp", "mildly moist" or "wet" and adding a few seconds isn't very accurate, is it...
Yes but being in Britain it is a bit hard to rely on one pre-chosen day being entirely dry in the middle of winter. Or the rest of the year for that matter.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Remember that most F1 drivers, when plonked into a wide selection of cars, lap within 7% of each other at worst. Also remember that Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Jacques Villeneuve and one other (possibly Schumacher) all managed to return the same qualifying lap to the thousandth once, in three totally different cars.
But that is still approx 5 secs each way!

ExigeExcel
Yes but being in Britain it is a bit hard to rely on one pre-chosen day being entirely dry in the middle of winter. Or the rest of the year for that matter.

That's what makes it an unfair test :P

(I'm from Scotland btw, I know what unpredictable weather is)

Yeah but its like carrying out an experiment in a school classroom. You do it at room temprature whether it fluctuates or not.

How about Johnny Herbert? Stig doesn't like Lotii, according to that huge dick Clarkson, and Herbert had a less than stellar drive at Lotus F1 last decade... Besides, we haven't seen Herbert in action in ages, the last time I recall seeing or hearing his name in a race broadcast was Le Mans 2003, in one of the R8s. Or, pretty much when the black Stig got thanked.

I'm just saying...

ExigeExcel
Yeah but its like carrying out an experiment in a school classroom. You do it at room temprature whether it fluctuates or not.

We're agreed it's an inherently flawed and unfair test then?

Another factor to be taken into consideration is the fact that since a lot of the cars are new, they might not be run in as much as the older ones.

amp88
We're agreed it's an inherently flawed and unfair test then?

Another factor to be taken into consideration is the fact that since a lot of the cars are new, they might not be run in as much as the older ones.
It is flawed yes.

I'm sure most of the cars have had some run in. I doubt the manufacturers would let journalists near cars that weren't at full power.

Could be wrong.

It would be impossible to have a completely fair test, especially in Great Britan. There are TONS of factors to take into account. These results are for fun anyway, aren't they? Why do we care?

Event
It would be impossible to have a completely fair test, especially in Great Britan. There are TONS of factors to take into account. These results are for fun anyway, aren't they? Why do we care?

Exactly. The results aren't intended to be taken seriously, but so much emphasis is placed on them in the programme that a lot of people do take them seriously

So who are you going to vote for in the Best Dirving Song poll? I'm torn Between Queen and Golden Earring.

xcsti
I always thought it was stig bloomqvuist (sp?)
Un-official GTplanet BBC Topgear Thread
live4speed
It's not Perry, he's been doing other things recently and wouldn't have been able to be at places at once. He did hint that trhe new Stig may be female.
Emohawk
So it wasn't ever Stig Blomquist then? I almost thought I'd made a nearly-clever discovery there. :P
DQuaN
Wasn't he a tennis player :confused:
Emohawk
If by "tennis" you mean "world rally champion", and by "player" you mean "in 1984", then yes.
:D

I'm undecided so far, I might vote for Bat out of Hell just to peev them off.

live4speed
I might vote for Bat out of Hell just to peev them off.
I thought thats what they wanted us to do because they have been going on about that song so much!

I didnt really enjoy this episode much for some reason. I liked the Maserati but not the presentation on it, Top gear is getting a bit repetitive like JC either loves a car or absolutely hates it but ill still watch it because its still a good show.

They need on or two new ideas, they're re-using all the old ones again at the moment but I still think it's a fun show to watch. Theres another race across Europe in the next episode, I like thoes bits they do, the Aston Martin one through France was the best car review I've ever seen on TV. Ever.

I totally agree with that, some new ideas would get that extra spark back and make it more than just a good, fun car show again.

they dont use it much anymore i thought it was funny when they had about 5 cars to sort through and put in2 sections!

Back