Understanding The Deltawing

• Thread starter diptob79
  • 214 comments
Well, i just took both deltawings on a ride in Suzuka.
Using a G25 i managed to get

2:01.265 Deltawing sponored by Nissan at LeMans 2012 (black)
and
1:59.273 2013 Deltawing (silver).

Aside from the fact that this car in some real capable hands will go way faster i do always enjoy the difference in driving.
Finish braking before you enter any turn, accelerate through the turn and let the little car fly away. :)
I admit it's more fun on the appropriate tires, no ABS with racing brakes and SH tires do not match well.:crazy:

People who say the 345 hp version handles great have obviously never driven a stock one on SH tires.

True, but so what?

You insist the joy should be in your particular box, namely 'stock and SH tire', but unforturnately it's not there. And people have already told you it's in another box tagged 'tuning and racing tires'. Then what?

Complaining won't bring good stuff to you. You must find some other way to have it.

I sincerely hope you may appreciate and enjoy this special car as I and others do. It's only possible when you are willing to help yourself, or at least let people help you.

Last edited:
Well it sounds like we are in agreement!

We all can agree that this tricycle is garbage in its stock form,

But once tweaked and tuned properly, it would be sharp like a knife...

Did i get this straight?

Like quite a few other cars in the game, the so-called 'stock form' is wrong because thier real stock form in real life is not like that.

So, please don't bash the cars themselves for the mistakes or carelessness by PD.

Look, I've tested over 600 cars, and the Deltawing was the only one that came stock with RH tires. Now I know, never test a car on SH tires if it comes with RH tires. I was just really intrigued by the car and had to try it.

Do the delta wing run tc in real life? Been driving it this recent update and with tc 1 win all rest of the aids off I am million times faster than trying it at launch

I read for Le Mans in 2012 it didn't. It may have been added to the 2013 car, but I don't really know.

I actually find it to feel better without it.

it would be hard to find the 2012-2013 regs from the FIA due to switching from ILMC to WEC and the FIA normally doesnt archive the regs for both lmgte and lmp (well, at least i cant find them)

Do the delta wing run tc in real life? Been driving it this recent update and with tc 1 win all rest of the aids off I am million times faster than trying it at launch
most likely. there's usually some form of traction control, but more than likely considering the car. I also remember when Chris Harris drove it - it has a automatic as well

well looking at the current regulations for LMP1, a traction control unit for the power units are allowed. I think that these regs also apply for non conventional cars which the deltawing would be listed as.

I'm sorry for digging this thread back up, but I found this quote a bit peculiar considering what's been said here:

The 8C isn't a bad car. I can manage under 2:18 in a stock one at Suzuka and under 2:17 in the Shelby Series One. The problem is always with the driver, not the car. Try to avoid flooring the gas while the steering wheel is off-center.

💡

most likely. there's usually some form of traction control, but more than likely considering the car. I also remember when Chris Harris drove it - it has a automatic as well

The DeltaWing doesn't have traction control.

And no, it does not have an automatic transmission. It has a paddle-shift gearbox, one that does have a clutch pedal. There is no "automatic" transmissions in racing, just those who think there are.

The DeltaWing doesn't have traction control.

And no, it does not have an automatic transmission. It has a paddle-shift gearbox, one that does have a clutch pedal. There is no "automatic" transmissions in racing, just those who think there are.
I'll leave this for you to argue against. As I do not have personal experience with a DeltaWing, although you sound mighty confident that you do.

Thats the very same video that I use to argue against those who think the car is undriveable.

The car does have a 5-speed sequential manual gearbox, so it's not an automatic gearbox.

And do you really think that TC is actually used on a car that has 350 HP?

I'd like to know what tires are used on the car in that video. No way they are equivalent to SH :sly:

Although that is the weaker Nissan model and not the one with the Mazda engine.

Thats the very same video that I use to argue against those who think the car is undriveable.

The car does have a 5-speed sequential manual gearbox, so it's not an automatic gearbox.

And do you really think that TC is actually used on a car that has 350 HP?
Actually I know they use TC. In fact almost all modern lmp including the delta wing use it.

@diptob79. The reason why the car seems to try and kill you is because in order for the car to actually corner it has to send power to the outside rear wheel because the front is so narrow that it can't handle corners without the power transfer (I read that in a car magazine). Also you probably are not modulating the throttle. Personally when I bought the cars I felt the same way but now I can get both the 2012 and the 2013 cars around every track quickly without assists. Thats because I have gotten used to their unique handling. Also the 2012 car is much easier to drive than the 2013 so practice with the 2012 until you feel that you are good enough to use the 2013 car. Hope this helps you:)

I wasn't trying to "get" you, but I'm glad you took that route. GTP isn't the place for your trying to get a rise out of people.

Stock typically refers to engine, transmission, and suspension. A simple tire swap can still mean the car is stock.

Although curiously at 3:20 Mr.Harris states "It auto-upshifts, i'm not doing that."

Unless it is a low-to-medium power club/grassroot/one-make racer (say, Civic EK TC) there is no point to drive a race car using sport tires in general.

Face it @SuzukaStar, LMPs and SH tires don't mix. I always run the LMPs I have (R18 AE, 908 Base Model "Micro Mouse Mappy", DeltaWing '12, and TS030) on exclusively racing tires, regardless of compound.

I counter challenge you to run the X2014 (Standard or Fan) on SHs and see if it works. 💡

Loving the Deltawing so far, but so I can get an idea how I'm doing, will someone give me some approx DS3 lap times for the black one completely stock on RH tyres with MT? TCS off ABS 1, no other driver aids.

I've tuned it down to 650pp and on Suzuka (one of my not so favourite circuits) I've managed a 1:59.30, Apricot Hill is where I do a lot of testing and I think my best there is 1:13.3

I use the face buttons for throttle/brake, never could get used to those trigger buttons.

It's a great car, very rewarding to drive, love how you can just mash the throttle and it holds on, no TCS no drama.

I've tried some of the tunes but most of them add weight or seriously mess with the LSD which kills a lot of the awesome handling this thing has, most of them just turn it into an understeery mess.

Hate to respond to this almost a month later, but I'd like to point out that the engine in the Nissan DeltaWing has nothing in common with the Juke's engine. It's the same 1.6l Turbo made by RML that they used in their WTCC Chevrolet's, just modified for Endurance racing and a Nissan badge slapped on it.
Why won't that stupid rumor die? The Deltawing 1.6 is 20 kilos lighter than the RML wtcc engine. RML has said the motors have virtually nothing in common.

Why won't that stupid rumor die? The Deltawing 1.6 is 20 kilos lighter than the RML wtcc engine. RML has said the motors have virtually nothing in common.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/half-the-weight-half-the-fuel-half-the-tires-half-a-chance

The four-cylinder engine that the DeltaWing raced with at Le Mans was billed as a Nissan, but it was built largely from Chevrolet parts by England's Ray Mallock Engineering, which built the fours that won the 2011 World Touring Car Championship in a Chevrolet Cruze. The DeltaWing did, at least, sport a throttle body from a Nissan Juke.

Now, until you can provide a source that can validate what you have said, I will not dismiss it as a "rumor" just because you say it is.

Back