Update v2.16 Discussion, Memories and more (with Poll)

• Thread starter bman1984
  • 108 comments

Did you update to v2.16?

• Total voters
United States
United States
New Information:
When the update does indeed get released, Use this thread to discuss any experiences, information or even kind words as the GT5 support comes to an end. Gone, but not forgotten.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Polyphony Digtial team for their hard work with Gran Turismo 5. Coming from someone who started their GT5 career on launch day, I can say I enjoyed the heck out it and learned lots, even skills with my new wheel.

The up’s and even the down’s. The down’s showed us that when pieces were coming apart, the team came through in the end and got it..... *sigh* back.... on...... track. I know, I know. I might question your logic at times and wonder “why?” or “how come?”, but in the end I have faith that you all will get the job done. You have for 15 strong years.

I, as I’m sure many others hope, Gran Turismo 6 will end up as powerful and full of replay ability, if not more than GT5 and the pinnacle of the PS3 era’s racing/driving genre. Thanks again. To 15 more years!!!!:cheers:

Original Story:
http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_1576414.html

In line with the online services of Gran Turismo 5 coming to an end as of May 31, 2014, the following update will be released:

Update Server Maintenance
May 30th/31st, 2014 from 11:00PM to 1:00AM EDT

An update will be released during this server maintenance period. Please note that after the start of the maintenance, all online services will become inaccessible.

Main Contents of the Update
- All online services will become disabled at this time. This includes the DLC’s from the top screen, the login bonus for GT Life, Open Lobby, Seasonal Events, Online Dealerships, Car Delivery, and all features within the “Community” menu.

- The Gran Turismo TV section accessible from the top screen is part of the online services, but previously purchased programs will still be accessible during the set viewable period for each program.

Thank you all for playing Gran Turismo 5 over the years.
Hereafter we hope you will join us in playing the current PlayStationR3 exclusive title, Gran Turismo 6.

Hopefully part of this update is to turn off that pesky “You’re not connected to PSN” message, since there will be nothing to communicate with.

Last edited:
On each announcement they add or remove stuff from the list of services being discontinued. From this last announcement:
DLC’s from the top screen: ok, that was announced before
login bonus for GT Life: also expected, as the online servers kept tab of who logged and when.
Open Lobby: sure, also expected
Seasonal Events: ok, we knew that
Online Dealerships: also announced before
Car Delivery: Wait, what? How will the software deliver new cars once you've completed a milestone in A-Spec, B-Spec, Specials, etc? I have 79 tickets pending to collect. What do they mean that the Car Delivery will be disabled? This was NOT on any previous announcement!
all features within the “Community” menu: OK, also announced before

Not in this announcement: Museum: I had no idea that the cards/images/stories were stored online, and not in the PS3? This shouldn't take too much space. Why not transfer this content to be stored locally with the next software update at the end of May?

This place is so damn strange. Years ago, you couldn't find a thread or post that didn't trash GT5 somehow for anything. Now here we are with GT6 out and now we got people all sentimental about GT5. I cannot understand this forum sometimes...

On each announcement they add or remove stuff from the list of services being discontinued. From this last announcement:
login bonus for GT Life: also expected, as the online servers kept tab of who logged and when.
Car Delivery: Wait, what? How will the software deliver new cars once you've completed a milestone in A-Spec, B-Spec, Specials, etc? I have 79 tickets pending to collect. What do they mean that the Car Delivery will be disabled? This was NOT on any previous announcement!
Not in this announcement: Museum:
I had no idea that the cards/images/stories were stored online, and not in the PS3? This shouldn't take too much space. Why not transfer this content to be stored locally with the next software update at the end of May?
No, removal of the DLC button was not announced before. They announced the removal of the DLC from Playstation Store and the possibility to reinstall them at will after the shutdown. Now, without that button, how are we supposed to reinstall the DLC if we have to cancel all the installed data for whatever reason? AFAIK, you have to install the DLC from your PSN download history and then from within the game. Unless the "installation" is permanently tied to your savegame once it's done the first time, i don't know. No button = no DLC?

And yeah, i want to know more about the removal of "Car Delivery". What gives? I didn't even know it required online that badly, as it works with tickets from single player events and milestones. Without it, the only way to obtain new cars would be either one of the two dealership. But that still makes certain cars unobtainable otherwise.

I'm also surprised about the lack of removal for the Museum.

I seriously hope they're not once again forcing the purchase of GT6 down our throats... contacting Playstation Support for further details would take ages with the risk of getting NO useful answers.

This place is so damn strange. Years ago, you couldn't find a thread or post that didn't trash GT5 somehow for anything. Now here we are with GT6 out and now we got people all sentimental about GT5. I cannot understand this forum sometimes...

The scrape on your knee doesn't seem so bad compared to breaking your leg.

Facetious, but it's true. If GT6 had been the most amazing game in the world, people would still be bagging GT5 for being awful. As it is, GT6 is in many ways a worse game than GT5, and so people who enjoyed those particular things GT5 god right get all rosy-eyed for "ye good ol' days".

Not terribly confusing.

Does it include trophies as well?

My best, educated guess at first was no, but after batera99 pointed out that the Car Delivery will also be taken offline, I have no idea. I can't see why anything trophy related would be changed because you can earn trophies while offline. Then sync them with the servers NOT related to Gran Turismo. Guess we'll find out in 9 days. To this day I haven't earned the B-Spec trophy (500 races of something). I don't feel like "BOBstitting" (babysitting).

Well most of the GTPlanet users took their bashing over to the Gran Turismo 6 section. I also think GT6 is so "bad" in some members opinions like 5 was in the beginning, now GT5 looks like gold compared to GT6 feature wise such as Community/Online features, Course Creator, B-Spec, Photo mode (location wise) and so on. We could see the same pattern with Gran Turismo 7 being blah and Gran Turismo 6 being praised.

You know the saying "The Grass is Greener on the Other Side". I feel, my opinion of course, GT5 is pretty green right now where it's most important. While it's no event creator, I miss Tire/Fuel consumption in arcade mode.

After having it for a couple years, I still could not Platinum GT5 because of the 3 Vettel events.

I've Platinum and reached 100% completion on GT6 after 3 weeks!

New game...but much simpler and less challenging!

Not in this announcement: Museum:
I had no idea that the cards/images/stories were stored online, and not in the PS3? This shouldn't take too much space. Why not transfer this content to be stored locally with the next software update at the end of May?
Those car deliveries are part of the game program, same as the Used Car Directory. They were available offline before and should be in June.

Simple.. those sentimental about GT5, probably aren't the same ones who trashed it before.
There is a core of dedicated racers, then many other people who pass through here as well.

It is unclear what is meant by "disable the DLC’s from the top screen" What top screen?
The Gran Turismo 5 Main Menu? The XMB? Need to be specific here to be comprehensible.

As mentioned, there's an "install" button for content we've "downloaded" to PS3.
Paint Pack & Gear pack can only be installed once, but the rest are always on PS3.
There's even an explanation in 2/20 update of where to re-download them if lost.
Maybe there will be a way to install them there also? Need some clarification here.

Edit: Just checked, my DLC are still downloadable in Account Management on XMB

Last edited:
Yes, DLC are still available in download history (except some of the content from the Academy Edition... Racing Car Pack, Course Pack, Racing Gear Pack and Paint Pack, which goes under Services List), the problem is that button... the previous announcement clearly states this:
"Racing Car Pack" and "Course Pack" (including those purchased as part of the "Complete Pack")
After you have purchased those items, please complete the following steps before the online services are terminated.

1. Select the Downloadable Content icon on the GT5 home screen and install the purchased items.
2. Access the PlayStation®Store from the XMB and enter the "Gran Turismo 5" section. Purchase the [Family Upgrade] for the items in question (free of charge).

By following the above 2 steps, you’ll be able to use the items even after the termination of the online services. If you delete the GT5 Game Data after the termination date of the online services , you’ll be able to download and install them again. You can find the instructions in the “How to download the DLCs when you deleted the Game Data” section on this page.
You can find more details about the "Family Upgrade" item following the corresponding FAQ page in the Related Link section below.

"Paint Pack" and "Racing Gear Pack" (including those purchased as part of the "Complete Pack")
After you have purchased those items, select the Downloadable Content icon on the GT5 home screen and install the purchased items before the online services end.

You will be able to use the items even after the termination of the online services; however, you will NOT be able to install them again if you delete the GT5 Save Data after the online services end.

Any other DLC items
You can use the items even after the online services are terminated without any special operation. After you have purchased those items, select the Downloadable Content icon on the GT5 home screen and install the purchased items before the online services end. If you delete the GT5 Game Data after the termination date of the online services, you’ll be able to download and install them again. You can find the instructions in the “How to download the DLCs when you deleted the Game Data” section on this page.

How to download the DLCs when you deleted the Game Data
In case you deleted the GT5 Game Data and the DLC is removed from the game, you can download them again from the [Download List], accessible in the PlayStation®Store or by selecting [PSN] > [Account Management] > [Transaction Management] from the PS3™ XMB.
Unless, like i said, the installation of the addons is already tied to your account after the first time... anyone wants to test please? As long as the servers are still running.

My Course Pack and Racing Car Pack are still there because I downloaded the Family Pack as outlined prior to April 30th.

Yes, but we should be able to reinstall them even AFTER the shutdown... again, i wonder if the "installation" is tied to your savegame or something, and the only thing required would be to download and install from the download history, and nothing else. I'd like to try but i'm too scared, lol.

EDIT: apparently the DLC is tied to the savegame after the first install, according to this page: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/would-deleting-gt5-install-and-updates-remove-dlc.229939/

Now, there's still that other problem: the Car Delivery truck.

Last edited:
^ true dat... certain things are completely the opposite. Oh well, except the whole DLC thing. Now it makes sense, after reading that old thread. And again, no mention of Museum. Isn't it online only?

The GTPlanet forum is not a single entity - it's just a group of people posting their differing views. There is no single forum opinion for you to attempt to understand.

And seperately, maybe car delivery means the Gifting of cars?

...maybe car delivery means the Gifting of cars?

Then it should read "Gifting" (not just cars). When we write something, people shouldn't have to guess what we mean. What if the programming technicians read this and proceed to delete all of these things exactly as they're worded?

If GT5 becomes unplayable after online services are discontinued,
I'll never purchase another Playstation game as long as I live. :grumpy:

i claimed all my outstanding tickets

cant trust them after the 31st

i suspect they will change the interface and make certain icons disappear

the game will play but get used to sub 100,000 credit prizes which means slow grinding

I was expecting it to be the other way around. Looks like I am wrong.
I think I was mistaken originally... but for some reason it does feel like GT5P outlasted GT5. I think GT5P caused a more lasting impression for me.

I think I was mistaken originally... but for some reason it does feel like GT5P outlasted GT5. I think GT5P caused a more lasting impression for me.

Maybe it's because it was the first time online in GT was introduced to a large number of people.

Latest Posts

Back