Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

Votes: 43 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, the HRT car last year was one of the best on the track. I'm not a fan of the black bits. It's nice to see the white wheels replaced, though.

Yep last years car was better. But this colour scheme is the best. I know it's not an HRT car but who cares.

Sorry to dwell on old topics but the Nations Cup Championship no longer requires cars to be production specs and they haven't been production specs for several years. Procar supplied Holden with the technical regulations and Procar supervised every stage of construction of the Monaros. Is the Mosler MT900R or the BMW M3 GTR production cars?
The fact is they won at Bathurst by 11 laps, and thats bugger all in a 24hr race. Garry Rogers allowed Tander and Murphy to race the last seven laps with strict instructions to not touch the other car. What would you have done towards the end of a 24hr race with the two team cars on the same lap?
In 2002 they won by 21 laps after being 14 laps behind after 16 or so hours thanks to fuel tank dramas and belts flying off. The car that led them most of the way was the Porsche of the British team CIRTEK, who lost their lead when they had to take a lengthy stop to change a drive shaft. They were then put out of contention when Allan Grice put the car in the wall on top of the mountain and retired when Darren Palmer put the car into the wall again on cold tyres on the first lap out of the pits after being repaired.
I would hardly call these dominant performances from the Monaro. In the Nations Cup Championship last year, the Monaros first attempt, they came third and fourth, beaten by a Diablo and F360 and if those are the production versions, I would like to see which showroom I can see them in.
All the cars that raced in the Bathurst 24hr were purpose built race cars. I doubt any of them have ever taken the kids to school on gone to the shopping centre to get the groceries.
If people want to stop the 24hr being a 'publicity stunt' or whatever for Holden, they can build a car to try and beat them. Who would love to see the new GT40 going around Bathurst or a proper, well funded attempt from a top European team with top drivers instead of pay drivers?

In my opinion, the best place to spectate from at Bathurst is anywhere across the top from Reid Park or Sulman Park, where you can't see much else or McPhillamy Park where you can see across to Skyline. Skyline is good also, if you take binoculars you can see whats going on at the chase. There is not much to see if you spectate from the esses or further down as there is not much room for spectators and the track is well below the level of the standing ground and the fence. There is usually some action at the Chase so here is good also. Murrays Corner and Hell Corner are a good spot to sit and still be able to see the track but you can only see one corner. The second corner and the third corner, The Cutting where the S2000 went in in the 24hr, are not spectator areas.

I would love to see a GT40 in the batrhurst 24 hour, I hope they enter it into the race, bacause it get's a bit boring just watching The monaro's going at it.

Sorry to dwell on old topics but the Nations Cup Championship no longer requires cars to be production specs and they haven't been production specs for several years.
My understanding is that the rules still require the cars be based on a production car, with certain modifications.
The Mosler is based on a production car. So is the lambo, the ferrari and the M3 (although I'm unsure how they got the car in with a v8 - may as well be purpose built :rolleyes: )
Only the Monaro is a purpose built racecar. The rest still use a production car basis.
The 2002 Monaro was so dominant that the car was restricted for the Nations cup season.

As for anyone else building a purpose built car to enter - they can't. It must be based on a production car. The only was Holden got in was by promising to build some homoglation cars - which they didn't. If they'd done that, I'd be happy. That the reason that they pulled out of the production was a $100000 'misbudget' however given that car companies are so good at building a car to budget - even at concept stage - leads many people to believe that they never intended to in the first place.

I just found out that the M3 was homologated through an overseas class (some of which, such as JGTC 300 are legal) -either Transam or FIA GT can't remember - and the Monaro is under Nation's cup rules. Both require homologation.

Procar chairman Ross Palmer said that the Nations Cup championship was for "GT racing Aussie style". Australia is too small to have a GT class that MUST conform to this spec or that spec. By the time the racers imported the cars, it would be to expensive for them to convert the cars to whatever spec they would need to race in Australia. They base their cars on N-GT speed cars. Most sportscar championships BASE their cars on a certain regulation from somewhere else but allow some changes or comprimises to suit that particular championships needs. Thats why cars from so many different championships were eligible to enter the 24hr races.
The media were the only ones to say that the HRT427 was the basis of the Nations Cup Monaros. The concept show car was the HRT427, which carried HSV badges and would have been a HSV product, the Nations Cup Monaros are based on the CV8 Monaro, which is a Holden product, not HSV. The fact that they both have the 427 engine is a coincidence. Procar need to tell the public what type of cars are eligible and with what modifications.
I suppose the Monaros are the first of the new "GT Aussie style" cars to enter the championship. They probably chose the Monaro because it was a local product which people could relate to and to help pull in the crowds. Anyone who has been to a Procar meeting in 2003 can tell you that there has been an increase in the attendance figures this year. The reason they chose the 7 litre motor was because it would need less maintenance due to it's larger capacity and therefore less stress making it a more cost effective alternative. I and many others agree the Monaros would have a lot more credibility if they stuck with the 5.7 litre motor.
Don't blame the Monaros, the drivers or the teams for making the Monaro what it is, blame Procar, the media or CAMS for not informing the public about what the Nations Cup cars are or are allowed to be. The CAMS manual lists the V8 Supercars as production based cars. So which dealer can I get a VY Commodore with a 'Holden Motorsport' engine, Holinger gearbox, Ford 9 inch diff and double A arm front suspension from?
I think we should just be thankful we have somewhere to watch a motorsport series that has such diverse cars instead of the Supertaxis.

here here 👍

When they (nations cup) bouys have been at the GP it's sounds great, The high pitched scream of the Ferrari, The roar of the V10 Viper, The Porches with the unmistkeable flat six sound, and of course the Lambo

What ever happend to the viper's at the end of last year, they were my favorite car's!

They are my favourite car too.
After PHR decided not to race the Ferrari at the end of the season because it had been sold, Greg Crick lent the Viper to John Bowe and PHR because Bowe still had a chance at the title but no car. Bowe did reasonably well in the Viper at Winton. PHR had their Porsche ready for the final round at the Gold Coast and I don't think the Viper was entered in this round. Greg Crick finished the season sixth overall, behind the first Group 2 Nations Cup car thanks to not scoring any points in these last two rounds.
The Viper wasn't entered in the Bathurst 24hr.
It sounds as if he will be back in the Viper for the Nations Cup this year.

I hope so, I really want to see the viper's back.
Also does any one know if the nation's cup race is on the same day as the clipsal 500? I just really wanna see them race.

Originally posted by Schrodes
Procar chairman Ross Palmer said that the Nations Cup championship was for "GT racing Aussie style". Australia is too small to have a GT class that MUST conform to this spec or that spec. By the time the racers imported the cars, it would be to expensive for them to convert the cars to whatever spec they would need to race in Australia. They base their cars on N-GT speed cars. Most sportscar championships BASE their cars on a certain regulation from somewhere else but allow some changes or comprimises to suit that particular championships needs. Thats why cars from so many different championships were eligible to enter the 24hr races.
Nations Cup is a GT class where the cars MUST conform to the standards.
Bathurst 24hr has different standards, accepting a variety of GT classes to attract international entrants, including the Nations Cup class.

So what you're saying is garbage.

The media were the only ones to say that the HRT427 was the basis of the Nations Cup Monaros. The concept show car was the HRT427, which carried HSV badges and would have been a HSV product, the Nations Cup Monaros are based on the CV8 Monaro, which is a Holden product, not HSV.
The Nations cup Monaros are the 2 427's built by Gary Rodgers motorsport in conjunction with Holden/HSV. They were the ones seen at car shows, used for advertising. the only difference is the inlet restrictors added for the 2003 Nation's Cup campaign, following the 2002 Bathurst 24hr.

There is a special Monaro, of which 5 were build, especially made for Targa Tas, which is a lightweight, 340kw version of the CV8. However, it has nothing to do with Nation's Cup.

The fact that they both have the 427 engine is a coincidence. Procar need to tell the public what type of cars are eligible and with what modifications.
Procar does, the information is freely available and you will find that the two cars are exactly the same.

The reason they chose the 7 litre motor was because it would need less maintenance due to it's larger capacity and therefore less stress making it a more cost effective alternative. I and many others agree the Monaros would have a lot more credibility if they stuck with the 5.7 litre motor.
Don't blame the Monaros, the drivers or the teams for making the Monaro what it is, blame Procar, the media or CAMS for not informing the public about what the Nations Cup cars are or are allowed to be. The CAMS manual lists the V8 Supercars as production based cars. So which dealer can I get a VY Commodore with a 'Holden Motorsport' engine, Holinger gearbox, Ford 9 inch diff and double A arm front suspension from?
I think we should just be thankful we have somewhere to watch a motorsport series that has such diverse cars instead of the Supertaxis.
The problem is, that the Nation's Cup under which the Monaro is entered REQUIRES homologation, so anyone else CANNOT just make up a sports car and enter the 7 litre monaro's entry was fudged.

I think we should get back to the toppic of V8 supercar's, I made a thread for procar a couple of day's ago.:)

Nations Cup is a GT class where the cars MUST conform to the standards.
Yes, Nations Cup is a GT class and the cars must conform to the NATIONS CUP standards. The Bathurst 24hr has the same NC standards which are BASED on N-GT. Therefore, cars from other series which are also BASED on N-GT, and run at N-GT speeds are also eligible to enter.
The Nations cup Monaros are the 2 427's built by Gary Rodgers motorsport in conjunction with Holden/HSV. They were the ones seen at car shows, used for advertising. the only difference is the inlet restrictors added for the 2003 Nation's Cup campaign, following the 2002 Bathurst 24hr.
I know what the Nations Cup Monaros are. They were built by Garry (thats double r) Rogers (no d) Motorsport in conjunction with Holden and not HSV. They are run as a CV8, NOT a HSV GTS Coupe or a HRT427. The HRT427 is the orange car which was seen at the Sydney Motor Show in 2002 and was designed and built by HSV with HRT built mechanicals.
There is a special Monaro, of which 5 were build, especially made for Targa Tas, which is a lightweight, 340kw version of the CV8. However, it has nothing to do with Nation's Cup.
I am quite aware that the Targa Monaros have nothing to do with Nations Cup. I never mentioned anything about them.
Procar does, the information is freely available and you will find that the two cars are exactly the same.
Tell me where you can find what cars are eligible for NC and with what modifications. I have a copy of the PROCAR technical regulations and there is nothing in there and I have searched the CAMS website and there is nothing there. I know #427 and #05 were exactly the same. I was reffering to the HRT427 concept/show car which many ill-informed people claimed was the basis of the NC Monaros.
The problem is, that the Nation's Cup under which the Monaro is entered REQUIRES homologation, so anyone else CANNOT just make up a sports car and enter the 7 litre monaro's entry was fudged.
If the Monaro is so ineligible, why haven't it's victorys been contended? Why haven't the other teams who would have much to gain from it's being stripped of it's wins formally complained to PROCAR or the FIA?

I'll reply in the procar thread to keep this one on topic.

Edit - creating a new thread for pics of new cars

Round one of the konica series was last month, cant beleve I missed it!
1 Alan Gurr 166
2 Luke Youlden 166
3 Matthew White 160
4 Tony D'Alberto 146
5 Mark Porter 138
6 Lee Holdsworth 136
7 Adam Wallis 136
8 Jose Fernandez 134
9 Mal Rose 124
10 Andrew Jones 122
There the point's after the first round.

Greg murphy got pole for the Albert park race and Marcos Ambrose is starting in 4th!

Murph wins a close 1st race at albert park. second murph 3rd tander. lots of incidents (skaife spun twice, ambrose spun, weel and ingall collided, ingall and r.kelly collided) all that in 10 laps. GO V8SUPERCARS

Go Murph, it was a good race, I still can't get used to seeing #2 on the side of scaifes car, lol. Can't wait till tommorrows races!

Murph definately rulz

So what has happened with Ingals and Skaifes punishment for the incident last year in the final race?

I think Skaife defended his dangerous driving charge but was still fined for going back out onto the track having a go at Ingall. There are quite a few contenders this year and I think it will prove to be one of the best seasons yet.

I dare the officials to give Murphy any penalties at all this year. I would really like to see him take out the crown.

Feel sorry for Skaife after smashing the front end in on Sunday. Hope the car is back to A1 by Clipsal.

I heard that they might not get skaife's car fixed in time for clipsal, I hoppe that's not true.

So what has happened with Ingals and Skaifes punishment for the incident last year in the final race?

Scaife got fined but defended himself out of race bans.
I though Ingal still had to put up with the race bans but he was racing in Melbourne. Is this just because it is a non-championship round?

I heard that they might not get skaife's car fixed in time for clipsal, I hoppe that's not true.

I don't believe that they will not get it fixed for Adelaide, BUT I think it wont get any chance for the paint to dry before the race.

Remember at Batherst last year, someone stuffed up their car in qualifying and the paint was still wet for the start of the race. Good stuff.

Or was that '02, either way.

Speakin of poor old Mark Skaife, he had a shocking weekend at the AUS GP, turned aroud by Greg Murphy, spinning a further 2 times before crashing into one of the black Commodores (Cant remember which one), absolute shocker of a weekend, and I was LOVING IT :D

After a five hour meeting after the race, Skaife lost 30 points for careless driving. He then lost another 105 points, fined $10000 and received a three race ban suspended over 12 months for ignoring an officials instructions to retire to the first line of saftey after the incident.
Ingall lost 70 points for careless driving. He then received a $15000 fine, lost his 150 points for the round and received a three race ban suspended over 12 months for veering towards Skaife after the incident.
Both appealed these decisions.
Skaife's appeal for careless driving was upheld. He regained his 30 points and kept the $10000 appeal fee. He was found guilty of Bringing the Sport Into Disrepute for failure to comply with an officials instructions. He lost 75 points, was fined $10000 and received a three race ban suspended over 12 months on the basis he is not found guilty of the same offence in the next 12 months.
Ingall was found guilty of Bringing the Sport Into Disrepute for driving a car towards a person near the racing surface. He was excluded from the meeting, the fine was reduced from $15000 to $10000 but was still made to pay the $10000 appeal fee and received a three race ban suspended for 12 months on the basis he is not found guilty of the same offence in the next 12 months.

This is quoted rom the V8 Supercar website:
Skaife had nowhere to go when he found the spinning Simon Wills Team Dynamic Commodore sideways in front of him at turn one of lap one on Sunday and while the #2 HRT car's speed was relatively low (around 70-80kph) the impact registered 7g's on the vehicle's in-car data logger.

That's quite a shunt!

This is also quoted from the same article:
Dencar has had to virtually replace the right front corner of the Skaife car, including the chassis rail, cross member, inner guards and all the relevant panels and support panels, with an all-up repair bill in the vicinity of $30,000.

The chassis arrived back in the workshop after painting this morning, with the crew now working to have the car ready to ship to Adelaide next Tuesday for the Clipsal 500.

And one more (this one being a mistake):
To have the vehicle repaired and turned around in time for the V9 Supercar Championship opener in Adelaide on the weekend of March 20 and 21

The entire article can be found here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back