Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

Votes: 43 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about PWR's Paint Job, that looks really weird on track. When I first saw it it seemed to look like a vauxhall just bacause of how it was painted arount the Holden sign.

This one? It is still Team Brock isn't it? Again last years paintjob looks better.

Is it true that Greg Murphy Racing Team will enter the V8 Supercars? I found this in last months SpeedSport magazine. I'll have to find the article and quote some parts of it.

Yeah that one. It's changed back to Paul Wheel Racing from Team Brock. As far as I have heard everyone from last season still works their.

About GMR I haven't heard about it before, and somehow I doubt it. We'll just hve to see though.

It is still Team Brock isn't it?
Peter Brock was not happy with the level of involvement he had with the team. He wanted to be involved more with the decision making stuff and not be just the name of the team. Brock and Kees Weel decided to go their seperate ways and the name of the team went back to Paul Weel Racing. Betta Electrical didn't renew their sponsorship. Team Brock will be the name of the team that enters the Monaros for Peter and James Brock this year in Nations Cup while Garry Rogers Motorsport will continue with the Nathan Pretty Monaro.
Is it true that Greg Murphy Racing Team will enter the V8 Supercars?
Kevin Murphy, Gregs father and owner of Greg Murphy Racing has purchased half of what was the Lansvale Racing Team from Steve Reed and Trevor Ashby. The team is still based in Sydney and are now called Tasman Motorsports. Steve Reed and Trevor Ashby will continue their involvement with the team and Jason Richards is the driver for the single car team this year. Former Ford Performance Racing general manager Jon Matthews will be in charge of the team while Wally Storey continues to head the race day operations.
So technically, no, Greg Murphy Racing are not involved in V8 Supercars.

That's the name I was looking for. Tasman Motorsports. I saw a pic of the car though. i'll have to find the mag and Scan the image. Yes Jason Richards is the sole driver for that team.

In other news Anthony Tratt may Finally be able to finish a race in a good position as he has made the change form the Blue oval boys to the Lion infested jungle.

Here's some shocking news. Apparently after the 2005 season the New Zealand round of the V8 Supercars may not be run on the Pukekohe track. It may be run on another track due to traffic congestion (spelling) at Pukekohe. To me I don't really care so long as Murph still has that NZ magic.

I'll have to find out more.

Originally posted by DRIFT4EVA
Here's some shocking news. Apparently after the 2005 season the New Zealand round of the V8 Supercars may not be run on the Pukekohe track. It may be run on another track due to traffic congestion (spelling) at Pukekohe. To me I don't really care so long as Murph still has that NZ magic.

I'll have to find out more.
It can't be worse than the 2 skinny lanes leading to and fro from Barbagallo Raceway here in the West.....afew years ago, Barry Sheen went off his dial cuz he was caught in the jam for hours :banghead: Doesn't really bother us, longer traffic jams means more drinking time in the limo :lol:
Same every year :D

That's one good reason for a traffic jam. The motorway is always packed. Cars are always going at about walking pace it's just that When the time comes for the V8's You're better off riding a snail.

Originally posted by radicool02
Wht about a 24 hour race?

The Pukekohe 24 hour race. That would rock. Doesn't matter how the race is Murph would still clen up in Pukekohe. Infact any V8 Supercar 24 hour race would rock.

I don't get it. No matter what Murph wins the Pukekohe round. I'm not complaining or anything. The first year he won all 3 races.

The next year it was that famous spike that stopped most from winning. It almost stopped Murphy But Ambroses tyre blew.

Now last year Wilson and Skaife came together on the 2 corner, both spinning out allowing Greg Murphy to leave everyone in the dust. Or should I say mud?

I would love to see 24 hours of v8's, i just don't think they would last unless they had some design changes, though most caan last for a 6 hour+ race...

Hi guys, I have a few questions about this form of racing. Up here in Canada, I grt to watch the V8 supers on Speed . Love the racing and love the tracks. I was just woundering why only 2 makes of cars? Is there a rule on this or is it because these are the only factorys willing to put out the cash? And on another note, I was woundering how they would compare to the Vettes in the ALMS. That would be a interesting comparison on the two kind of racing. All that they would have to do is mke sure that the vettes don't have a hp advantage. I think that they are aloud over 600 hp in the ALMS. Any info would be nice.

It's tradition! But in the long-long-ago any car could race in the Australian GT series (I don't know the name of it before it was renamed the supercars so I'm just calling it that for convenience sake). If I recall my facts correctly the Nissans dominated for quite a long time but Holden and Fords rivalry continued strong. I don't know exactly what lead to it but the Australian GT Series was disposed of and replaced by the V8 Supercars. This series only had two makes, the Ford Falcon and the Holdan Commodore. A very brief and very bad explanation of the History of the V8 Supercar series.

I don't know the rules of ALMS so I don't know how they would compare. In V8 Supercars they have a control tyre, and I guess that tyres are not control in ALMS. I think it would be an interesting comparison of the two series, but I believe the V8's would not beat the Vettes. But I would be interested in seeing the race specs for the Vettes in ALMS.

I was just woundering why only 2 makes of cars?
The rules say that the race cars must be a rear wheel drive four door sedan from an Australian manufacturer. That immediatley limits the maximum amount of possible manufacturers to four. Holden, Ford, Mitsubishi and Toyota. The engine that is used must be a 5 litre pushrod unit. They were looking into changing the rules to allow overhead cam units to make it easier for Mitsubishi and Toyota to source an engine. The engine must be from the same group of companies. eg. Holden can use a Holden, Chev, GM, Pontiac etc 5 litre. Mitsubishi can use a Chrysler/Mercedes, Toyota can use a Toyota/Lexus and so on. The race car must be rear wheel drive even though the road car may not be. Toyota and Mitsubishi have been looking into entering teams into the series but it was met with resistance from Holden and Ford. They basically believe that they have invested lots of money and put in lots of work to make a great series and they believe that Toyota (who were going to base their car on the Avalon) and Mitsubishi (Magna) want to jump on the back of the V8 Supercars popularity and don't have the best interests of the series at heart.
Of course there are a lot more rules, but these are the basics.
I was woundering how they would compare to the Vettes in the ALMS.
Teams are very secretive about their power figures, but the widley accepted guestimate is 620-630hp. The most used phrase when it comes to hp figures is "in excess of 600hp"
The ALMS series and V8 Supercars have never run on exactly the same track so it is difficult to compare performance. At the Clipsal 500 at Adelaide last year, Jason Bright qualified on pole with a time of 1min23.461 on the 3.2 kilometre circuit. At the ALMS Race of a Thousand Years in 2000, the Team Oreca Viper lapped the original 3.8 kilometre GP circuit in 1min34.60.

From the ALMS website:
With horsepower ratings in the 550-600 range, GTS race cars are almost as quick as prototypes with top speeds of 180-195 MPH, but cornering and braking abilities are below the prototypes.
If 1 mile equals 1.6 kilometres (if I remember correctly) 195mph is 312kph. At the end of Conrod Straight at Bathurst, the V8 Supercars are reaching about 290kph. The V8 Supercar minimum weight is 1350kg. I think the minimum weight for the ALMS GTS class is 1100kg.

I don't know the name of it before it was renamed the supercars so I'm just calling it that for convenience sake
Before V8 Supercars, Australian Touring Cars raced under the Group A regulations and had done since 1985. Before that, they raced under Group C regulations. Before Group C came in in approx 1973, there was Improved Production (those were the days). Bob Jane's 427 Camaro ZL-1 vs Norm Beechey's 350 Monaro vs Allan Moffat's 302 'Boss' Trans-Am Mustang vs Ian Geoghegan's 351 600+hp 'Super Falcon'.
I don't know exactly what lead to it but the Australian GT Series was disposed of and replaced by the V8 Supercars.
Group A was abandoned in 1993 partly because of the decrease in interest in the ATCC because of the lack of V8 powered cars and partly because of the dominance of the turbo cars like the Skyline and to a lesser extent, the Sierras. The dominance of the Skyline also led to the introduction of the three 20min race format for each round. After the re-introduction of the V8 formula, the series wasn't restricted to V8's. For a short time the BMW's raced but not with too much success and even a Sierra was allowed to race with it's turbo removed. I think it was 1995 before the field was made up entirley of V8's.

Just as a point of interest, on April 3rd 1972 during Bathurst round of the ATCC, Moffat's Mustang was clocked at 277kph on Conrod while Geoghegan's 615hp 'Super Falcon' was clocked at 296kph (185mph) at 9000rpm. His fastest lap was 2min27.7 while we all know Greg Murphy cracked the 2min6 barrier at Bathurst last year and probably didn't reach 296kph on the straight. Keep in mind though that Conrod Straight is not as long as it used to be thanks to Caltex Chase. This shows how far aerodynimics, suspension and shock absorber technology has come helping lap times fall 20 seconds in 30 years in similar hp cars.

And this is a V8 Supercar.

If this is a taxi then I'll take a taxi where ever I go.

Notice in Taxis there is no unused fuel in the Exhaust system to burn and make a flame.

To all of you that replied, thank you. I now have a better understanding for this class.Iwould love to here the cars live a full song. It must be a sweet sound. What kind of fuel do they use? It would be so cool if they did a exabition race in my part of the woods, cost alot though. To the one that thinks these are taxis, you must be a open wheel or sport car fan. Nothing wrong with that. If it hase a motor and races, I will watch it . Toyota has just entered the NASCAR Truck class here , and they have developed a push rod V8 to fit into the rules. Maybe they might bring it down under to race in the V8 supercars. In only 2 races, they have finished 2nd in both races and in the last one, Toyota finished 2nd,3rd and 4th. It will not be long before they win. The races we get on tv here start around Oct.
when dose the season really start?

Did you say that you get the coverage of the V8 Supercars in October? if so then you get it really late as the season starts in March. I too would love to hear the roar of 30 something V8 beasts live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back