VGT Poll: Realism vs Futurism vs Modernism

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 35 comments

Which VGT route should it takes?

• Futurism

• Modernism

• Realism

Results are only viewable after voting.
I guess it's not a matter of predicting the future, but giving people (and the industry) time to get used to some ideas, to re-think them, refine them and find even better solutions for different aspects, like aesthetics, safety, comfort, efficiency, economy, etc. When you push the limit very, very far away, and then bring it back a little bit closer to "reality", people get more flexible to accept stuff that before was considered too edgy.

Concept cars have been preparing you mind through the years to make you think these "weird" shapes and ideas are actually ordinary. If you told some sci-fi fan back in the sixties that those exotic, spaceship-looking cars from futuristic movies would someday became mass-produced, they would laugh at you. Now look at modern Lamborghinis...

I guess it's not a matter of predicting the future, but giving people (and the industry) time to get used to some ideas, to re-think them, refine them and find even better solutions for different aspects, like aesthetics, safety, comfort, efficiency, economy, etc. When you push the limit very, very far away, and then bring it back a little bit closer to "reality", people get more flexible to accept stuff that before was considered too edgy.

Concept cars have been preparing you mind through the years to make you think these "weird" shapes and ideas are actually ordinary. If you told some sci-fi fan back in the sixties that those exotic, spaceship-looking cars from futuristic movies would someday became mass-produced, they would laugh at you. Now look at modern Lamborghinis...
Most modern day cars don't look like Lamborghini's though, they look pretty pedestrian and predicatable as do most of the cars in the game.

Realism. Because expecting manufacteres to know how cars will look 20 years from now is stupid.

Plus realistic cars look like actual cars and not toys.

Dat BMW VGT.

Realism. Because expecting manufacteres to know how cars will look 20 years from now is stupid.
They might not know with certainty, but I expect most manufacturers to actually have an idea about this. Every car around today is developed well ahead of time and business plans look even further ahead.

The thing is when a video game company goes to a manufacturer and asks them to develop a future car, you might not actually get one. You may just get a "car of tomorrow" concept thing that everyone will say looks futuristic and great but doesn't really represent much besides someone's artistic vision.

They might not know with certainty, but I expect most manufacturers to actually have an idea about this. Every car around today is developed well ahead of time and business plans look even further ahead.

The thing is when a video game company goes to a manufacturer and asks them to develop a future car, you might not actually get one. You may just get a "car of tomorrow" concept thing that everyone will say looks futuristic and great but doesn't really represent much besides someone's artistic vision.

I agree, especially with the latter bit. Which is why I don't particularly find the VGT cars interesting.

Realism as in BMW VGT and the FT-1 I don't particularly see as attractive as the modernist and futurist machines as they feel more like just a racecar version of a 2 series and an FT-1.

If I were to pick one "Style" I would pick the Modernist in a way that reflects entirely new designs of a machine as they are on the infiniti, the Nissan and the Aston Martin. As I want new, unique cars to drive.

Back