War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

For some reason my streak of games have been inconsistent. Some are good, some are bad, and some are just mediocre. But things are looking up. I acquired the Panzer III M and the Hetzer. Now I move onto the Stug III G, followed by the sneaky Jagdpanzer IV, and finishing up with the legendary Tiger I.

Happens to all of us. You'll get teams that are so bad that the enemy team blitzkriegs their way to your spawns. Other than using up the 2X for each country, I've been focusing on unlocking a decal in the US ground forces set.

The one thing that really bothers me is playing realistic battle and being in a match where both teams are filled with US, German and Russian tanks. As I stated in the one match last night that everyone else was discussing it: It's the very uncommon realistic pile everyone together battle of WW2.

Happens to all of us. You'll get teams that are so bad that the enemy team blitzkriegs their way to your spawns. Other than using up the 2X for each country, I've been focusing on unlocking a decal in the US ground forces set.

The one thing that really bothers me is playing realistic battle and being in a match where both teams are filled with US, German and Russian tanks. As I stated in the one match last night that everyone else was discussing it: It's the very uncommon realistic pile everyone together battle of WW2.
That actually happened yesterday. Realistic battle on Jungle. Battle game type (i.e both teams have one point, if you lose the point you basically lost). My team couldn't get out fast enough and sure enough we received a blitzkrieg of M4 Shermans (with the occasional light tank). Funny thing was that this happened while I was playing with me Panzer III M. Funny how the Germans would lose to their own tactic.

Weirdest thing happened in a match over Korea. I was piloting the Blenheim, making my bombing runs and such. On a turn for rtb I notice a yak-1 coming up (slowly) behind me. So I line myself up so I'm in level flight and around 180mph and wait patiently for the Yak to close the gap. I fire shots when he gets within range but he doesn't return fire... at all. I then notice him trying to maneuver into ramming one of my wings off. I'm having none of that unsportsmanlike and ungentlemanly flying so I start evading his attempts to clip my wing and he realizes this was happening so he puts himself right back behind me and I finish him off.

I ended up with 2 kills in that match, but lost because the last remaining Russian plane was a bomber and was taking out ground targets. I had a chance where I could have rammed it but I'm not about that playing style or having to needlessly spend the repair cost of my plane. If the Blenheim had better offensive armament I could have had it for my 3rd kill.

I'm also about halfway to my green spade decal. Just hope that I can use it with every country.

2 things

1st: Another realistic battle in my Germans, another loss. How'd we lose? By another blitzkrieg of course.

2nd: The M24 Chaffee and M6A1 Heavy Tank can now be researched for regular players.

EDIT: Attempted 2 games today. Both went to hell. I'm really disappointed that they nerfed the reload rate on my M8A1. It clearly shows. I'm gonna try again tomorrow with U.S and if all else fails, I'll load up my Germans and attempt to get the Stug III G.

Last edited:
Guys, was there a recent update on the PS4?

I was flying my P36 and the flight model was all kinds of 🤬 up. It wouldn't stop drifting left and right; it took off way to early with not enough speed - somehow, I didn't eat dirt.

Maybe it's my controller configuration.

Also, personal memo;

Learn the nicknames of the planes. Don't go after a Ki-43 in a Yak-1, when suddenly you realise it's a Hayabusa, and it's too late.

I did some funky maneuvres that left me disoriented but somehow I managed to line up a nice run. Missed all of my shots by an inch. Then he turned around and got my tail controls. Another Ki-43 joined in on the action as I kissed the dirt. The original contender flew off, quite content... :lol:

While the party-pooper decided to "finish me off" by commiting suicide. He missed .

The newly added mixed simulator battle is nice. Only issue is the M22 doesn't belong in that lineup. Germans all using Tigers and Jagdpanzers. M22 stands no chance at surviving anything. Finished off the modifications for the M16 MGC though. Helps a ton when planes fly slow and straight at your gunsight. :lol:

Learn the nicknames of the planes. Don't go after a Ki-43 in a Yak-1, when suddenly you realise it's a Hayabusa, and it's too late.
Which version?
Anything other than the III otsu should be slow enough to BNZ with a Yak 1.

My favorite recently is in the events people using the b24 still thinking it is invincible and the the 30mm cannons on my KI84 hei ripping their wings off.

As long as you don't try to turn fight a Japanese plane or any biplane, you'll do decently well.

Don't flight straight behind a bomber. Either attack at an angle that their gunners can't hit you at, or just BNZ them.

Which version?
Anything other than the III otsu should be slow enough to BNZ with a Yak 1.

My favorite recently is in the events people using the b24 still thinking it is invincible and the the 30mm cannons on my KI84 hei ripping their wings off.

I think it was the Ki-43-II.

And yes, I was I too close to outrun him, and I was too low to outclimb him (water and oil were overheating as I was losing coolant) so I decided to turn fight him.

I'm SO mad right now! Do you guys know the feeling when you've had an excellent game and you're getting DC'd ten seconds before it's over?!
Many times.

Also forgot about how the matchmaker works. Had the M2 premium tank, M22, M4A1, M5A1 all in my lineup. Realized the M4A1 and M5A1 were skewing the matchmaking for my M22 as I was constantly being put into matches against medium tanks of 3.0+ BR. Removed the M4A1 and M5A1 from the lineup and finally managed to get matches where I could be effective with the M22 so I could get the modifications finished on it. Now my line consists of the M2 premium, as I'm working on the mark of distinction for it, and the rank 2 M4 Shermans.

^ Yeah, the Matchmaker is... Weird, to put it nicely.

And I might have had the best game in AB I've had so far:

MzO5VYT.jpg

Three kills each with the XP-38G, P-38G-1, P-47D-25, A-20G (all from AI gunners) and seven with the P-47D-28.

19 kills in any match is impressive.

The matchmaker takes an average of your lineup's BR, and throws out the highest and lowest, so if you've got a 1.0, 2.3, 3, 3.3, you'd get put into matches with other vehicles in the range of 2.6-2.7.. I think. I might be off a bit on the system but I think that's generally how it works.

Alright so something weird happened.

Yesterday I couldn't get on. Every time I loaded up the launcher my anti virus software stops it. Says it has malware. Now I try today and it's totally fine. Whatever.

Anyone on right now? I would love to play some Tier 3 Germans or Tier 2 U.S tanks.

It's weird. But at least it stopped for the time being.

Played one game tonight. The Absolute Sim Battle. Played my T-34-57. Got one kill and died twice. But we still won so I'm happy.

19 kills in any match is impressive.

The matchmaker takes an average of your lineup's BR, and throws out the highest and lowest, so if you've got a 1.0, 2.3, 3, 3.3, you'd get put into matches with other vehicles in the range of 2.6-2.7.. I think. I might be off a bit on the system but I think that's generally how it works.
I decided to look the matchmaking formula up... And dang, that's some complicated stuff. Basically, it looks at your top three vehicles and disregards the rest and uses an average based on those three vehicles. It then adds a 1 BR spread on top of that; let's say your three best vehicles are 3.3, 3.3, 3.0 (that's the case for my AB line-up), you'd be assigned an overall BR of 3.3 and you'd able to encounter anything from 2.3 to 4.3. However, if the difference in BR between your best and worst plane among those three is higher than 0.6, the matchmaker will simply look at the BR of your best vehicle, lower it by 0.6 and use that as your overall BR. So, let's say you've got 3.3, 4.0, 3.0, you'd still get an overall BR of 3.3.

Which means I can add a P63 to my line-up without changing my overall BR at all. I might have to do that real quick :lol: Going to test that right now!

I might have to create a spreadsheet for BR calculation purposes...

Okay i feel proud.. My keyboard well died in the middle of this.. i was relying all on my mouse :lol:

as soon as i put my check in im buying myself a DAS Keyboard
That's one fine looking mechanical keyboard 👍 I'm still shying away from shelling out for a mek... :scared:

I actually didn't realize it until I looked it up. One can easily abuse that system quite a bit. Just played a game with my Russian line-up, smuggled the IL-2 in among a bunch of BR 2.3 aircraft... Was shooting down biplanes and stuff all game long. There's nothing at that BR than can withstand those 23mm cannons. The Russians have some crazy planes at that BR in general. The Mig-3-34 with its double 20mm cannons is utterly brutal at BR 2.3, downright unfair.

You could actually run a bunch of planes of BR 1.7 and below, get the Mig-3-34 as your highest plane and get an overall BR of 1.7... That's seal clubbing material right there.

I just hit level 14 a few hours ago, and I've played pretty much everyday since late October, other than days that PSN was down. Researching the last available US tank currently, the M6A1. Finished off the mods for the Blenheim when a lowly Russian biplane obliged my gunners. Did some work on German tank researching and mods as well. The tanks that have 100mm+ penetrating shells are awesome. :mischievous:

...and I'm at 206/320 kills for the green spade decal. :crazy:

I just hit level 14 a few hours ago, and I've played pretty much everyday since late October, other than days that PSN was down. Researching the last available US tank currently, the M6A1. Finished off the mods for the Blenheim when a lowly Russian biplane obliged my gunners. Did some work on German tank researching and mods as well. The tanks that have 100mm+ penetrating shells are awesome. :mischievous:

...and I'm at 206/320 kills for the green spade decal. :crazy:

Welp.. Maybe i need to start playing more :lol:

It takes a lot to level up in the game, which I guess isn't bad considering the sheer amount of content available to play with. Only country that I've broken into rank 3 with is the US tanks since there's not many of them compared to the other two countries. Everything else I've barely put a dent into the rank 2 vehicles.

It takes a lot to level up in the game, which I guess isn't bad considering the sheer amount of content available to play with. Only country that I've broken into rank 3 with is the US tanks since there's not many of them compared to the other two countries. Everything else I've barely put a dent into the rank 2 vehicles.

I probably going to start breaking in germany in next :3. Im breaking in U.S like a tad to much.

I just made sure that I got out of researching rank 1 planes around the same time so I wouldn't have to go back to low BR unless I wanted to later on and not for the sole purpose of grinding out planes. Definitely made sure the reserve vehicles were completely finished in regards to modifications as well.

Back