Watch Dogs

England
Kings Lynn.
Dixon_F1

Just shown at E3, Wow this game looks good!

Watch Dogs (stylised as WATCH_DOGS) is an upcoming open world action-adventure video game, developed by Ubisoft Montreal, best known for their work on the Far Cry and Assassin's Creed franchises, to be released in 2013 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360. Watch Dogs centers on the player's ability to hack into various electronic systems, either to obtain and control information or to destroy those devices completely at specific times. The game was first unveiled during Ubisoft's press conference at E3 2012.

Last edited:
I was mainly excited for ACIII and FarCry 3, but this took me by complete surprise! I love it! I have to have this one! I will be preordering once I know the release date.

Watch Dogs brief info

It does look like an interesting game concept, and it's nice to see a surprise announcement like this one at the end of the Ubisoft conference.
Now all we need is an initial release date.

It looks good but only time will tell. My personal feelings about Ubisoft aside, if this game forces you to deal with situations in a certain way it will get old very quickly, but if you can deal with situations in many different ways it could turn out to be great. I can't really imagine the guy would've turned up at the event thing anyway even if the player had just stood there and waited to have a shootout inside the building, but I have (bizarrely) been wrong before. I live in hope, though, because it looks awesome.

It's nice to see UBISoft create a new I.P., because when they do it usually starts off really great, and then quickly descends into terrible (splinter cell, ghost recon, assassins creed, etc.). I'm pretty sure i'll enjoy this game, and then ignore the 5 - 7 sequels that will come out over the next half decade.

Does look awesome but am I the only person who is starting to question the lack of morality and ethics in games, which even in the last year seems to have got worse? This fella causes a multi-car pile-up just so he gets his man, pulls some innocent guy out of his car who is petrified his loved one in the driving seat might be dead. The developers have seen the need to program that and put it in the game. Another example is the (also awesome-looking) The Last Of Us, where the main guy seems to have to kill every other person he so much as hears. It just seems a little odd to me.

It only becomes an ethical issue I believe when there is a uneasy lack of difference between reality and a virtual world. Games give that escapism from reality. When it touches into the real world too much then its bad.

Does look awesome but am I the only person who is starting to question the lack of morality and ethics in games, which even in the last year seems to have got worse? This fella causes a multi-car pile-up just so he gets his man, pulls some innocent guy out of his car who is petrified his loved one in the driving seat might be dead. The developers have seen the need to program that and put it in the game. Another example is the (also awesome-looking) The Last Of Us, where the main guy seems to have to kill every other person he so much as hears. It just seems a little odd to me.

I was actually telling myself this exact thing yesterday because of some of the footage shown in this game, and the Last of Us. As far as Watch Dogs goes, I think it's kinda neat to play what looks to be a bad guy, but I doubt UBISoft would go that far. Don't know enough about the storyline yet.

It looks great and the premise of hacking, jacking people's mobile devices etc is a very neat idea. However, I want to know if the E3 demo was being shown on a console or PC because I don't believe the console versions will look that good.

I bet the team that's dev'ing 'Sleeping Dogs' will be pissed :lol:

On the whole ethical thing I feel games are getting more visceral and trying to provoke a reaction. They are getting more and more violent and the end bit of the Last Of Us play through slightly look me back when he shot an unarmed guy with a shotgun at point blank range without a second thought.

It's... just a game, and a demo of a game which has only just been announced at that. Who knows, that little mission demonstration might not even be in the final cut, or altered in some way. Then again, I almost never question morality and ethics in games, so what happened during it doesn't bother me at all. All I can say is the gameplay looked good, the concept behind the game has generated a lot of interest, as well as the great visuals and sound.

I want to know if the E3 demo was being shown on a console or PC

Yeah, I see many people who are certain it was on PC though, but I want to know for sure.

Also, I missed part of this intro:

Games of this type give you options, I'm not sure that you will be given a choice to or not to kill but I'm sure there will be a reason for the actions, and I'm sure there are consiquences. The people that make these games are not stupid teens with no moral compass.

I do agree that allot of games focus on violence but I think that speaks more about humans than it does about games companies. We are a very violent race and this comes through in allot of media and art. Also we have a strange fascination with post apocalyptic or bleak futures. One thing I loved about Journey on PSN was the fact it showed what happens to species that are violent and war over resources and the like, and the consiquences of what happens.

Back on topic, this again looks stellar and I hope we see a version heading to consoles, I'm pretty sure we will see it at some point. The concept of communication is a good way to show players how much our lives revolve around tech. Some lovely DX11 effects put to good use, and it looks very much like the old UT Engine and DX11 tech demo shown a while ago.

I will be watching this game with interest.

Just so you know, it has been confirmed via twitter that the game ran on a high-end PC. And I can't believe you people in here saying it looks "good", are you kidding me? It looks UNBELIEVABLY good, all the physics and A.I. involved was VERY next-gen, and then the rain and the whole reflection effects it caused, MY GOD that was amazing! You guys are not impressed very easily huh?

Kinda disappointed that this might not be on the Wii-U. I think there is a ton of cool things that can be done with the controller for that system. Maybe we'll get it as a port later next year.

Just so you know, it has been confirmed via twitter that the game ran on a high-end PC. And I can't believe you people in here saying it looks "good", are you kidding me? It looks UNBELIEVABLY good, all the physics and A.I. involved was VERY next-gen, and then the rain and the whole reflection effects it caused, MY GOD that was amazing! You guys are not impressed very easily huh?

I for one was very impressed. I thought the game looked fantastic, and had a feeling it was running on PC hardware.

Does anyone know if UBISoft still does their always online DRM for PC games though? I'm going to have to give this a pass on the PC if they do. The few UBISoft games i've tried to play on the PC, with that DRM, never worked.

Kinda disappointed that this might not be on the Wii-U. I think there is a ton of cool things that can be done with the controller for that system. Maybe we'll get it as a port later next year.

Going by the E3 Conference they held, I say WII U is not even 360 level of hardware, so totally forget that.

Just so you know, it has been confirmed via twitter that the game ran on a high-end PC.

Shame, means it will probably look totally unremarkable on console. Its very hard to make open world games look really polished on current gen consoles. Rockstar I suppose manages to come the closest, remember things like the Last of US are technically not open world games but are linear sealed off routes.

Looks promising, hope it delivers. And if that PC statement is to go by, even better.

Feels a bit like a Deus Ex set in contemporary time (no augs)

@ Robin: This. People need to be realistic. How the heck are the developers supposed to be able to achieve those graphics on 7 years old hardware with 256MB video memory? It-is-impossible. Even at sub-HD and 25 fps.

The graphics on this are fantastic. Lots of potential for gameplay with the hacking feature and controlling bridges, lights and trains. The AI looks good as well. When he caused that accident a pedestrian ran over to one of the cars, opened the door and checked the person was OK...

Yep, that was one of the many awesome details, or also, when the player pushed this one guy out of the car and opened the door, the light in the car turned on, then he closed the door, and the light turned off again. Gotta love such detail.

Anyone else notice that the end of the gameplay video posted in this thread is different from the Ubi presentation? It has Aiden escaping in a car over a bridge, whereas in the press conference it show another character watching him and planning to help him, and showing that Aiden is part of a larger team (possibly multiplayer?)

Go to 9:00 on this video:

Anyone else notice that the end of the gameplay video posted in this thread is different from the Ubi presentation? It has Aiden escaping in a car over a bridge, whereas in the press conference it show another character watching him and planning to help him, and showing that Aiden is part of a larger team (possibly multiplayer?)

Yeah I noticed that, actually I couldn't find the video with the guy on the roof at all on Youtube, but what is stranger still is that there was one that appeared to be from the conference, and zoomed in to the action, yet still had the "different" ending with the car/bridge. Unless I was dreaming or something. Am at work now but will take another look later.

An IGN interview done today to one of the developers pointed out that the game will also be released for PS3 and 360, along with PC(Which was the platform in which the E3 gameplay was done).

I noticed that too, it would be a pretty interesting MP model to play. This makes even more interested in this game.

Back