Weird advertisement forcing me to another page.

• Thread starter ImaRobot
  • 93 comments
Same here, it's extremely annoying and it's starting to put me off from visiting the site on my iPhone. Sometimes it happens on every page visit here. In the last 5 minutes it happened 5 (!) times...

It still happens, just now I was directed to an app store game 3 times while trying to read the main page.

"Game of War" I think it was called, and just now some dating app called iLove.
I had that game of war one earlier. Only I was also simultaneously browsing another site so wasn't sure which it was as the others done it to me before too.

No, it really isn't. Using this site while directly halting any monetary gain from your traffic is directly taking money out of pocket, the bandwidth used isn't free, nor are the servers that run this site.

The slight inconvenience of ads surely can't be that much of an issue that you're willing to put the sites you enjoy out of pocket?
For me, it wasnt so much as a pop-up, it was a complete redirect from the current page I was on. It happened multiple times, and it was very hard to even navigate through ANY part of the forum. It was very annoying and like him, I was about to stop browsing.

For me, it wasnt so much as a pop-up, it was a complete redirect from the current page I was on. It happened multiple times, and it was very hard to even navigate through ANY part of the forum. It was very annoying and like him, I was about to stop browsing.
AS you can tell from above, the redirecting ads are not something Jordan condones. He removed the ad that was redirecting before and I have no doubts he'll do the same again.

Edit: just got redirected to that game again when looking at the funny picture thread.

Last edited:
I understand the need for this site to earn enough money to sustain itself and even provide an income for its owner(s), but these ninja adverts are really starting to get on my nerves.

Nearly every page I refresh or view on my iPhone takes me away from the site and lands me in iTunes.

If I want to buy or play some poxy MMR game then I will look for it or even click on an advert for it.

My patience is slowly giving way to frustration and it's getting too much!

It wasn't funny last night when I was on the tube on my way home and I'm trying to catch up with GTP business (was trying to load a page from the forum before I entered a tunnel) and I say FFS loud enough for everybody to hear me when iTunes pops up!

Just in case you were interested, the page didn't load in time before I entered the tunnel and was left with nothing to entertain myself except to try a psychic experiment with everybody in the carriage, I thought in my head;

"if anybody here can hear my thoughts, please raise both hands in the air and pretend to stretch".

Didn't work but I will try it again tonight and let you all know how it goes!

Since smartphones are touch based all it takes is for you to touch the banner ad to the ad to be accepted.

I understand the need for this site to earn enough money to sustain itself and even provide an income for its owner(s), but these ninja adverts are really starting to get on my nerves.
To be clear, this is absolutely not supposed to happen. It is crippling and destroying my business, and I'm doing everything I can to figure out how to stop it as quickly as possible, but it's not such a simple problem to solve. This issue has affected a wide range of sites over the past few weeks, and even the advertisers are not quite sure why this is happening - I've been contacted by a few of them who are working with site owners to figure out what's going wrong.

It seems this may be some type of bug in Google's AdSense implementation which is triggered by ads that lead to the App Store, so now it's a matter of making them aware of the problem and getting them to fix it.

Hi Jordan

I didn't realise that the problem was this bad for GTP, for me its just an annoying inconvenience but for you its ruining your business and damaging your livelihood!

I really hope you get it sorted mate, next time it happens I'll make a note of exactly what apps I am being taken to and will report them here.

Not so sure its a 'bug' though, when it comes to google and paying advertisers, maybe its the same kind of 'bugs' that Mr Snowden has been telling the world about!

TB
We've been over that countless times. Without revenue from ads, websites like GTPlanet can't afford to operate.

If you do use ad blocking extensions, add exceptions for any sites you frequent. Otherwise said site may not be there later.
Better yet, keep your adblock active and sign up for Premium.

Only ads i hate on this site are the ones for the GTPedia and the one on the top of the forum that takes you to ebay to buy GT6.

GTPedia was co-written by @Jordan and @Famine, so I imagine that an ad for it on GTP would be justified.

Or you can just buy a premium membership.

image.jpg

Hi @Jordan

The above is where I keep getting taken to when using GTP on my iPhone.

Does GTP get money every time someone views an ad, or every time the ad is clicked?
It's based on views; if an ad isn't shown, it doesn't pay anything. Ad-blockers even break affiliate links, so a site can't even earn a commission on a sale if you buy something via a link to Amazon, eBay, GameStop, etc. They undermine almost every avenue for a free site to generate any income, regardless of the impact it may have on the user experience.
Hi @Jordan

The above is where I keep getting taken to when using GTP on my iPhone.
OK. I have removed all the ad network's mobile banners and replaced them with one of my own, to buy some time until this gets worked out. It shouldn't happen to you any more.

Luckily that's a game I approve of :sly: but considering I already have it if I do get taken to the App Store it was a pointless venture.

I still get redirected to the game of war thingy as well, happened 15 times at least over the last three visits to GTP :/

TB
@TheLuigi755 - That most definitely doesn't fall under the "stay sweet" category.
Neither did his bitter, unprovoked email about GTPEDIA which said he "will NOT be going anywhere this overpriced, worthless product," until it was "free". Of course, that was only a few days after he had requested a copy of the book's "very good" Track Directory, which I emailed to him just a few hours later...

@PIP_36 @Kilmore When you guys jump back to the site in Safari after this happens, can you scroll up and down the page (before it refreshes or reloads) to see which banner may be triggering the App Store prompt?

Back