Weird advertisement forcing me to another page.

• Thread starter ImaRobot
  • 93 comments
I don't know if this has been happening to people who access GTP on a Android device. But Google has now changed some of it's rules regarding ads like what has been shown here with iOS devices,
App Promotion

Apps published on Google Play may not directly or indirectly engage in or benefit from the following behavior:

• Promotion via deceptive ads on websites, apps or other properties, including simulated system, service, or app notifications or alerts.
  • Promotion or install tactics which cause redirection to Google Play or the download of the app without informed user action.
  • Unsolicited promotion via SMS services.
It is your responsibility to ensure that no ad network or affiliate uses such methods to direct users to pages that make your app available for download.

It is no longer acceptable for apps to fool you into downloading an APK or going to a Play Store page. That old trick where an ad mimics a system dialog is specifically cited as not okay. This applies everywhere, not just in apps. Apps also can't use your SMS capability for promotion/sharing without getting explicit consent.

Link: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...gram-policies-to-crack-down-on-deceptive-ads/

That would suggest that there is a problem is inherent to third party apps installed on the users' own devices - a behaviour triggered by AdSense adverts that redirects users to Google Play from legitimate sites like GTP.

That would suggest that there is a problem is inherent to third party apps installed on the users' own devices - a behaviour triggered by AdSense adverts that redirects users to Google Play from legitimate sites like GTP.
Or iTunes as is currently known to happen. I'm guessing due to very little or no reports from Android users that this is not happening. But my post would be useful in the future if that happens.

@PIP_36 @Kilmore When you guys jump back to the site in Safari after this happens, can you scroll up and down the page (before it refreshes or reloads) to see which banner may be triggering the App Store prompt?

Will do mate.

This isn't happening nearly as much as it was before, but will of course let you know when it does and will try and get that info for you.

There was an advert that directed me to another site then, McAfee blocked it, but it was a dodgy download site.

The URL was upgradienk.com, asking me to update Java. Anyone with similar issues?

There was an advert that directed me to another site then, McAfee blocked it, but it was a dodgy download site.

The URL was upgradienk.com, asking me to update Java. Anyone with similar issues?
I'm getting this every so often when I enter a thread.

I'm getting this every so often when I enter a thread.
I just clicked on the 1.06 thread, and it whisked me straight off. Very worrying, especially if someone doesn't have any anti-virus stuff.

Yeah, glad to know it's not just my browser. It looked quite legit too, someone could be fooled.

Edit:
java.jpg

Ewww, this looks dodgy.

@Jordan, can you shed any light on this?

EDIT - I've scanned the web, and it seems as though other websites and forums have been targeted by this in the past.

It randomly drags you away from the site without warning. This needs to be looked into.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues on my iPhone in the last week, the above hasn't happened to me. I'm on Safari by the way. And to answer your question Jordan; there weren't any specific ads that I could see that were connected to the Apps I was redirected to in the store, I specifically looked for this as well.

Thanks for letting me know, I have just moved to block ads which go to that URL now. Please let me know if it continues past the next hour or so.

Using Chrome, I've seen that dodgy Java thing come up a couple of times in the past 3 weeks, although not on GTPlanet.

Haven't seen it at all on Firefox, Safari or Tor.

Apparently it's something that attacks forums.
Argh. I'm scared now. I'm going to hide behind the sofa until it's safe to come out.

Seriously though - Awhile back on gtplanet due to redirecting I was getting my antivirus pop up and close my browser (Firefox - Win 7 PC). It got so bad that to stay browsing I enabled my adblocker. Then the problem went away.
Recently I unblocked the site again (just for you @Jordan ;)) and all's been fine until the Java updater appeared. The antivirus isn't complaining this time, but of course I'm redirected elsewhere and have to use the back button to return.
So at the moment I'm temporarily advert blocking again - Sorry.

Strangely though when using Chrome on my Android tablet I've not had a problem! And that's with adds enabled!

I'll watch this space...

and all's been fine until the Java updater appeared. The antivirus isn't complaining this time, but of course I'm redirected elsewhere and have to use the back button to return.
So at the moment I'm temporarily advert blocking again - Sorry.
Have you been getting it yourself recently? Because I haven't had it happen at all today. 👍

I've never seen this on Safari iPhone app. In the rare times I use my laptop (chrome) I've not seen anything either.

Have you been getting it yourself recently? Because I haven't had it happen at all today. 👍
Sounds good - I'll unblock again and give it a go for awhile.

Edit: So far so good.

Edit 2: It's been another day and all's well.👍

Last edited:
Another Java update redirect then. Happened twice today.

EDIT - Another one this morning.

Last edited:
Sorry to double post, but this redirection to a Java update site called "wrodland.com" is getting really worrying. It's happening almost every time I click a link on GTP.

Also, it's exactly the same as upgradeink.

I regularly scan my computer for malware, but this only happens on GTP. The fact that the discussion on there only cropped up 13 hours ago means it must be causing a few issues simultaneously...

Back