Weird BUG after pit stops in ONLINE MODE!!!

• Thread starter Osr20_L
  • 217 comments
For racing tires it's definitely NOT fixed. Just tested again.
And i cant believe an error like this will be handled with a ninjathingy!
So i dont think sporttires are fixed at this moment.

If i want to test this i just run my celica gt300 on fuji gt with racing normal tires. At the straights on my braking point i always manage 239km/h. After a pitstop i only manage 237km/h on the exact Same point for every single lap.

Last edited:
Sadly the bug is still there, at least on racing tyres.

Just tested the Weider HSV at Apricot Hill. After pitting I was 2 seconds of pace as usual.

This bug is destroying many leagues around the world. Such a shame really.

Here is my take on this issue, I will appreciate all insights.

It is a lengthy read, but I guess it was need to explain my subjective reasoning.

After commencing a small investigation with one of my friends, reading various subjective explanations of this issue and thinking of ways game actually works, I today believe that particular problem (tyre/fuel issue) is interconnected with sub-engine-mechanic of PP calculations and (maybe) RAM Overhead.

First thing I "discovered" is how my own personal experience is not drastic as many reported ones. I never had drastic changes in tyre-wear nor drastic changes in fuel depletion in races I've used for my testing (Willow Springs, Suzuka Wet and Silverstone endurances in S class) as other reports. However, I discovered why: I always run no-ABS with custom brake-bias and I always take into consideration the sub-mechanic that depletes the fuel faster in higher-revs and during splistream (as it is since GT5).

I observed some replays of my friends and discovered they always run the race in almost 100% of grip/cornering abilities/braking/revs of the car. Also, they were all doing the same thing after the first pit-entry (in the second stint): they would speed up their pace drastically, go into overtakes aggressively, etc, in order to sub-consciously (I presume) compensate for time lost in the pits.

I did most of my testings on Suzuka Wet race, using the same car all the time - NSX GT500 LM Base Model. Since wet-sequence was always the same (rain starts falling in lap 2, ends in lap 8) I could run very consistent laps throughout my testings (which led to similar conclusions on Silverstone race). After the first 5 laps - before entering the pits - I had tyre-wear around 7(F)-6(R) and something below half tank depleted. After the race end (lap 10) I had 6(F)-5(R) tyres for the second stint with fuel around the same 10% difference more-less. So, I had to agree that difference is there and it exists, but it was not drastic as many were reporting and I would probably never realize it even exist if it was not reported.

So, I start to observe why is my experience a bit different and what could be the reasons for obvious difference in wear/depletion (and laptimes, which I will tackle soon).

First I discovered the aforementioned difference in tyre-wear when using ABS-off. I had pretty much balanced wear throughout the race, unlike other reports. I realized how the ABS is the main culprit for that, because of the default brake-balance that game have for ABS and which noone probably even bothers to adjust. As we are all aware, game uses default BB of 5-5 for all cars and it actually becomes a significant issue when running an race with tyre wear with ABS ON because of two problems:

1) Default 5-5 balance is not the accurate balance of mass-shifting that corresponds with suspensions and individual characteristics of any vehicle - as I preach since GT5, the BB for every car should be adjusted accordingly and individually, either you use ABS or not (but it becomes a prerogative if ABS is not used), and
2) default 5-5 balance with ABS-on does not "override" the proper balance values and becomes a menace once the tire-wear comes in the picture because it actually wears the tires - especially the rear ones - much more than it should

With my NSX I used 6-1 balance (the one I usually use for Race compound for MR/FR vehicles below 1400kg of curb weight) and I had the above results in wear (7-6 after the first pit, 6-5 when the race ended).

*** for those unfamiliar with my personal "non-ABS crusade" for GT games it is worth noticing how "ABS" in Gran Turismo games IS NOT SIMULATING real-life ABS effect nor it has any connection with it. ABS in Gran Turismo is just a braking assist that not only prevents the brakes from locking (in a totally artificial way compared to real-life ABS), but it also influences on traction and stability properties, despite player have other assists deactivated. But nevermind that now.

Second, I noticed how almost noone (of other replays I watched and reports I read on GTP) takes into account the very ancient property of tyres in the GT series (since GT3), where fresh set of tires is actually cold immediately when you get out of the pits. The actual first lap on fresh tyres becomes a crucial for their later "development" during the race, because damaging the tyres in cold-state have serious repercussions on their wear in later stages. Because they are cold, fresh tires don't have a strong lateral grip as heated tires and you have to be careful not to take much lateral forcing into red-zone because they will wear unevenly and much faster later. The key "issue" here is how all races in GT start from the rolling-start and with tires already "heated" for the race - so many players are used to drive on 100% of potential from the start, despite of the stint. However, it is very damaging to run cold tyres in the same way as pre-heated and I see a second reason for greater wear of tires in the second stint because of that. But that issue couldn't affect the wear so significantly (either in my or others experiences), so there have to be some other thing on top of everything.

And third, as I said before, I discovered how the difference in my fuel depletion is also not drastic as other reports, but how it definitely exist. As aforementioned, by observing other people replays I discovered I actually run races much more calmly and conservatively, without going into the red areas of revs and with early shifting. I have to notion another race-related "issue" that appeared, and that is how after the pitting I run into much more traffic than in the first stint because of the position of the AI cars and their pit-sequences and I was getting into the slipstream more often, which also results with much higher revs and faster depletion.

So, I highlighted three reasons: brake balance/ABS, tyre heat state usage and actual usage of the power (engine) related to fuel consumption. All of those could partially answer the reasoning for the change of depletion/wear among stints, but even together they couldn't make the difference so drastic.

But, there was another serious thing besides actual depletion/wear: the lap-times in second stint were always slower then in the first stint. No matter how hard you try, you simply can't drive times in the second stint close to those in the first. All factors above also couldn't influence that by themselves by no logic. But there had to be a logic for all that. So, what is the fourth factor - and IMO most important issue?

It is actual PP sub-calculation engine or, as I call it, "inability of game to determine the starting PP values for the cars in pre-pit and after-pit state". So, what the hell does that even mean?

By observing the times on Suzuka Wet race I noticed the strange pattern: When my first lap time (on pre-heated tyres) and full tank was 2:04/2:05, my 4th lap (prior to pit entry) was 2:01. But after I went out of pits, my first fast lap (6th lap) was 2:09 and my last lap would actually be around 2:05, 2:04 in the best occurrence. And then all puzzles begun to fit.

My personal belief is game simply can't override two different states when entering/exiting the pits:

>>A) first pit entry "state", where car weight is its default PP weight (the one displayed in Dealership) + fuel weight and minus fuel used during the first stint, and
>>B) pit exit "state", AKA the moment when the cars start to accept additional fuel in the pits and continuing the race with new tires and "newly added" fuel

I believe that car in the "first state" have its Dealership weight with the added weight of the fuel already INCLUDED in the overall weight - and that game ALWAYS uses that weight, with or without fuel depletion enabled, in the races as cars starting weight (in all game modes). What I am basically saying is that cars in the game have additional weight of the fuel included all the time during the race as their TRUE START WEIGHT VALUE. So, during the first stint, the depletion sub-mechanic is simply lowering the weight of the car accordingly to consumption form that "TSWV". For the sake of the numbers, let's say that the car has a Dealership weight of 1200kg+200kg of fuel = TSWV of 1400 kg. After the first stint, I am entering the pits with 3/5 of the fuel consumed, so my car actually has approx. 1280 kg (>>A). Because of the lowered weight I managed to run faster laps as fuel depleted (and it was always lap #3 or sometimes #4 because of the combination of lower weight and fastest state of tyres and maybe some slipstreaming).

And then comes my "pit exit state" (>>B). I believe that game simply can't - does not have RAM on disposal for that for all cars in the race - to calculate the new weight accordingly to state of depletion (1280 kg in my example). I presume game simply "reads" the first lap starting value in full (aforementioned "True Start Weight Value" of 1400 kg) and lumps extra fuel on that number as addition = resulting with car that have more weight than on the very start of the race. In my example-calculation, when exiting the pits after the first stint, car have all added fuel added on TSWV weight, so if I decided to go with 50 litres (100 kilograms of weight for example), instead of having 1380 kg when leaving pits, car actually have 1500 kg - 100 kg more than it had on the very start of the race.

When I put that idea into aforementioned 3 reasons for occurrence of increased tire-wear/fuel depletion that are - in my opinion - simply result of way people actually drive the race, it became only logical explanation of the overall issue.

It can explain why is the actual fastest lap in the 2nd stint - the last lap of the race - almost the same as the first lap of the race = only in that moment car have the same weight (using the additional fuel added on TSWV value in the pits brings the weight down to initial TSWV value, but never close to weight car have when entering the pits for the first time)

It can explain why are my tyres more worn in the 2nd stint = during the second stint car is almost 10% heavier than in the 1st stint - due to fuel being added on the "TSWV" value - which results with more mass being pushed on suspensions and increases the wear (more weight-more wear)

So, to conclude, I think there are two groups of factors: individual (where the combination of ABS and the actual way the car is driven by the player influences difference in wear between stints) and the problem with calculation explained above, which is purely issue of the game.

All above is my subjective and personal belief.

I guess it could be corrected if PD would find a way to allocate RAM to keep the real-time weight-data (Dealership weight + remaining fuel) prior the fuel has been added in the pits, but I have no idea how actually RAM-taxing could that be.

Why do I personally think it is connected with RAM?

There has to be a reason why the issue is happening, if my reasoning is correct - and "error" is not an explanation, because if it was simply an "error" in real-time formula, those 3 lines of code would get corrected in the first update. But they are not. And I tried to understand why.

All I can think of is RAM allocation, because engine itself can do a real-time calculations for everything else in the background: tyre wear for all cars, fuel depletion, AI routines, pit routines, weather routines, skidmarks..

But this actual thing - determination of actual weight on the pit-entry, followed by weight change during refueling and weight after refueling - is the only real-time variable in the whole "race procedure" that gets changed in the mid-time with actual 2 variables that needs to be inter-dependant and that have no FINITE value (the word "finite" is the key to understand my point):

A) Weight of the car at the moment of the pit-entry (Dealership weight + weight of remaining fuel) and,
B) The weight of the car after the fuel is added (Dealership weight + weight of the remaining fuel + weight of the added fuel)

Both variables are "infinite" - they can be whatever value possible, simply because you can use as much fuel as you like prior to entry to the pits and you can refill the tank with any value you like.

On the contrary, when changing the tires, there is actually only 1 "infinite" value:
A) The level of wear when the car gets to the pits

Once the tires are changed, they are back to "finite" value, as "Brand new" - and game "knows" where to "start" - B is FINITE (same as repairing the damage for instance, where the repaired damage is always a finite value).

With fuel, both A and B are "infinite" value and game has to "determine" where to "start" once the B variable (refueling on top of the existing weight and remaining fuel) "begins". My presumption is how the game actually simply uses the only FINITE value it can have, and that is the weight value for the very start of the race - which I call "TRUE START WEIGHT VALUE" in my first post.

And that is why I think it is RAM issue, because there is not other explanation. In order to get proper weight-change for all 16 cars in the field once they pit, the game would have to calculate 2 "infinite" values all the time for all 16 cars and track them accordingly and act accordingly once the new fuel is added. And somehow I think it is not really that simple to execute with all other real-time things going on in the race.

I somehow think that one "wild" variable - such as the fuel one I've described - becomes RAM problematic because it is the only of all above that have two "infinite" states during its "revolving".

However, I might be absolutely wrong.
While I disagree about it being a RAM issue, the rest of you theory should be rather easy to test.
Go to an oval track with a car that can run it flat out the whole time for two complete stints of fuel. If the laps times start coming back up towards the end of the second stint then your extra weight theory could be on the right track.
Disclaimer: Don't use a ds3 to test this, you must be smooth enough not to effect tire wear with steering corrections. Also every time a tire is roasted (bright red) you permanently lose a small amount of grip, so if you ever roast a tire...start over from the top.

Just tested the Weider HSV at Apricot Hill. After pitting I was 2 seconds of pace as usual.

That's too bad! I was really hoping PD had fixed it.

Is it really that bad, everyone can test for it, everyone knows its there, I don't see how it is destroying?

BWX
Because the game is FUBAR with that bug.
I would have to disagree, yes its a tad annoying but I race in leagues and it really hasn't hurt the quality of our racing. It has added to the amount of testing you need to do if you want to run up front, but that is about it. Like running in a league with 2 compounds.

I would have to disagree, yes its a tad annoying but I race in leagues and it really hasn't hurt the quality of our racing. It has added to the amount of testing you need to do if you want to run up front, but that is about it. Like running in a league with 2 compounds.
Well I just got a year of iRacing for a dollar. How is that relevant? Why on earth would I put up with such nonsense from GT6? The game is broken in so many ways.. That is just one, but I think physics are messed up and no fun at all after that first tire change.

Plus 1440p on a 1080p display with 8xaa, 16x AF, etc, etc, is just better in so many ways. Point is that there are lots of other options, and GT6 needs to be fixed before I waste another second of my precious time on it.

If you have alternatives to play, you would not just find it annoying. You would find it unreal, amateuristic, unbelievable,...
You should not take this for granted cause this is not what you paid for! And that's going to destroy the gt-series if they dont hurry up. Cause competition for gt is on its way and they wont take these kinda flaws in their games,.. And Gt might lose a lot of its fanbase due to its own incompetence and their way of handling gt6..

And that's destroying and sad as well..

From my yesterday tests on GT3 cars with RS,
i didn't noticed a real change in tires wear (maybe it's not the best car to test that)
and tires were pre warmed at the start of the session and after each pitstop
so, "maybe" tire wear is fixed now
as said by lots of peoples, it looks that the speed changed after pit
red light starts blinking a little bit earlier than before the 1st pit
also, the tires makes a bit more noise.
i was wondering if the tire width was not smaller after the first pit
but maybe it's the tire height, that will explain the loss off speed
or maybe it's both

do someone knows or tryed to see if tire wear reduce hte overal height of a wheel ?
maybe top speed reduce with tire wear and maybe the height of the wheel is the same when going out of the pit as just before entering the pit ?
if repeated multiple time on a long session (endurance race ) a big tire will be like a kart tire ..
looks extreme, so maybe the replacements wheels are only 1" smaller than the start size

(lots of "maybe" :D maybe devs comes from micro$oft where a bug is called a feature ;) )

more tests to do ..

Last edited:
From my yesterday tests on GT3 cars with RS,
i didn't noticed a real change in tires wear (maybe it's not the best car to test that)
and tires were pre warmed at the start of the session and after each pitstop
so, "maybe" tire wear is fixed now
as said by lots of peoples, it looks that the speed changed after pit
red light starts blinking a little bit earlier than before the 1st pit
also, the tires makes a bit more noise.
i was wondering if the tire width was not smaller after the first pit
but maybe it's the tire height, that will explain the loss off speed
or maybe it's both

do someone knows or tryed to see if tire wear reduce hte overal height of a wheel ?
maybe top speed reduce with tire wear and maybe the height of the wheel is the same when going out of the pit as just before entering the pit ?
if repeated multiple time on a long session (endurance race ) a big tire will be like a kart tire ..
looks extreme, so maybe the replacements wheels are only 1" smaller than the start size

(lots of "maybe" :D maybe devs comes from micro$oft where a bug is called a feature ;) )

more tests to do ..

It's not up to us to find out where the bug comes from, and what the consequences are.
We can guess, assume, discuss and argue as much as we like. But to be honest, this only makes things even more frustrating!

It is up to PD and Kaz to get their 🤬 together, fix things and tell us what is going on..

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent a couple of hours last night running controlled tests around Motegi Speedway. I used this track because you can load up the car in the corners to test grip but still reel off lap-after-lap within a tenth of each other.

Results as follows:

l8smNM3.gif

Some have suggested the bug is more prevalent in MR and FR cars. But I suggest (as have others) that it's a similar case to the tyre width bug. Upon pitting it's possible the game using using the front wheel width parameter to calculate the rear tyre width/grip.

There's a specific reason I chose the WRX and 86 GT for comparison. Their real life counterparts use the same tyre width front and back. So assuming PD have used the correct real life values in game, then even if the rear is fitted with front tyres, grip (and therefore lap times) should not suffer. Also noted that even Sports Hard tyres (on the Lambo) exhibited the same lose of grip albeit to a lesser extent than the racing softs.

Whatever is causing the rpm/speed/ratios to change is a strange one. From my limited test above only the Racing Softs exhibited this problem. While the Countach with Sports Hard showed no change between before and after pitstops.

PD really need to pull their finger out and fix this obvious problem. 4 months and counting....

MGR
Spent a couple of hours last night running controlled tests around Motegi Speedway. I used this track because you can load up the car in the corners to test grip but still reel off lap-after-lap within a tenth of each other.

Results as follows:

l8smNM3.gif

Some have suggested the bug is more prevalent in MR and FR cars. But I suggest (as have others) that it's a similar case to the tyre width bug. Upon pitting it's possible the game using using the front wheel width parameter to calculate the rear tyre width/grip.

There's a specific reason I chose the WRX and 86 GT for comparison. Their real life counterparts use the same tyre width front and back. So assuming PD have used the correct real life values in game, then even if the rear is fitted with front tyres, grip (and therefore lap times) should not suffer. Also noted that even Sports Hard tyres (on the Lambo) exhibited the same lose of grip albeit to a lesser extent than the racing softs.

Whatever is causing the rpm/speed/ratios to change is a strange one. From my limited test above only the Racing Softs exhibited this problem. While the Countach with Sports Hard showed no change between before and after pitstops.

PD really need to pull their finger out and fix this obvious problem. 4 months and counting....

Interesting theory. However, I don't know if it is that simple (although it seems like it) as I guess that PD would have quickly fixed it.

I have a theory linking all the unfullfilled promises and this bug.
Let me start it with GT2. In Gran Turismo 2, as I read somewhere, they released the game with a bug on it. It wasnt as serious as this, but it wasnt small. They noticed and fixed the bug something like 1 or 2 months after released. Since there was no patchs at that age, they did exchanged for free every bugged CD to the fixed version. Of course, they had to spent some amount of money for it. At that time, they knew that the price of launching something bugged or incomplete had a big price. So, as I already saw programmers say (I not a programmer), they used to fix the bug right away when noticed and working on detecting it as fast as possible, with several tests with the program before launch and even testing early uncomplete versions.

Time passed by and things changed. In GT5, they saw that launching a software with bugs wasnt a big problem. They could fix it with a patch. So, they decided to not take too much tests on early stages and fix bugs later.

At GT6, for some unknown reason, they were pressed to hurry and rush when developing the game. So, why test bugs if they can do it later? They proceed and released a bugged uncomplete software. In their minds, they could fix it later as easily as if they had fixed it earlier. And that what could be their big mistake. As I heard from people who work with software, the more you delay to fix a bug, the hard it is to fix it. Somehow, maybe in january, they got aware of the bug and tried to fix it. Maybe this kind of bug already happened many times on older GTs, but it was easily fixed when the game was in an earlier stage. With that on mind, they might think "we can fix it in a day or two". But when they face it, they may noticed that since the code evolved, there was some kind of dependency, and that if they fixed that bugged others appears or that fixing that bug would make them re-write many many lines of the code again.

Then, they had to fix it, so they put 100% of their efforts re-writing some physic stuff again, doing again job that was done. To make that, they had to delay several promised features, and, to not make costumers so unhappy, they launched updates with something simple - not important - in order to spend time fixing this bug.

If we really stop and think, this makes sense. Link that with whats going on. Look at the revealed and unreleased Zahara track. Look at the delay of the course maker, at PD´s silence (ashamed), at the fact that they couldnt make monthly DLC. And the fact that they fixed one of the pit bug synthoms (the 1.5x extra detrition of the back tires is fixed). As far as I aware, everything is fitting good with this theory.

MGR

Results as follows:

l8smNM3.gif

The very first "scientific" test on this matter. Congrats.

MGR

Results as follows:

l8smNM3.gif

My next question would be, what do RH tires do on a 787B?

(I would try myself, but I haven't run GT6 for quite a few months, and I don't plan on it until this is fixed.)

BWX
My next question would be, what do RH tires do on a 787B?

Yeah I'll be running more tests back-to-back like this. In fact I plan on running this car with all types of rubber. I'll just de-tune the power with the crappy tyres so laps times stay as consistent as possible.

I need more examples of cars with equal front and rear tyres. There's plenty of 4WD to choose from but the FR (and hopefully MR) cars are hard to determine.

Did the Premium FD RX7 come with equal rubber all round?

MGR

Results as follows:

l8smNM3.gif

I congratulate you for your post!

I can send a twitter to Kazu, your table ?

They are already aware of this bug. I have reported this way back in januari on the psn-forum as mentioned before! And i still have a monthly contact with that moderator..

I and we all - i guess - just want to know if this is repairable or not..
If yes, when will it be repaired? Summer 2014? Spring 2015 ;)?

It cant be that hard to give us that answer..

MGR

Results as follows:

l8smNM3.gif

MG, i find it hard to understand how the times can be the same with the 86 and Impreza, when there is a clear time differential in maximum speed between the two before and after the pit.

Any idea why it would read like that ? Some form of rubber banding ? or am i missing something as plain as the nose on my face ? !

When i tested on Motegi Speedway it was with the Mclaren F1 racecar, on race hards, and we were running consistently .3 slower on the pit tires.

Good job by the way !

MG, i find it hard to understand how the times can be the same with the 86 and Impreza, when there is a clear time differential in maximum speed between the two before and after the pit.

Any idea why it would read like that ? Some form of rubber banding ? or am i missing something as plain as the nose on my face ? !

That's not the maximum speed. That's just the speed I recorded at a particular RPM (as noted above the speed measurements). After the pit stop the cars on the racing tyres would still hit virtually the same speed but it would require a higher RPM.

I ran 117 laps of Nascar at Motegi today. I tested enough to plan around the tire bug. In the first run, the outside tires ended up around 2/5, in the second and subsequent runs, 4/2. This was in my own lounge testing alone. In the race, it turned out to be 4/4 after pitting instead of 4/2 but that wasn't my biggest issue. In 3 pits stops no pit window came up:mad::mad::banghead::banghead::banghead: I only need about half fuel to run 30 laps but ended up with full tanks the first two pit stops. In the 3rd and final pit stop, no window again, and NO FUEL!!!:odd::eek::eek: I barely made it to the finish line

So not only did I lose time needlessly taking fuel I didn't need (6+ seconds per pit) I lost time on the track every lap with a full fuel load. Needless to say, I finished 10/11, and even though I was about 3/10ths off poll and was in the lead pack of 5 cars for quite a few laps.

Kazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I ran 117 laps of Nascar at Motegi today. I tested enough to plan around the tire bug. In the first run, the outside tires ended up around 2/5, in the second and subsequent runs, 4/2. This was in my own lounge testing alone. In the race, it turned out to be 4/4 after pitting instead of 4/2 but that wasn't my biggest issue. In 3 pits stops no pit window came up:mad::mad::banghead::banghead::banghead: I only need about half fuel to run 30 laps but ended up with full tanks the first two pit stops. In the 3rd and final pit stop, no window again, and NO FUEL!!!:odd::eek::eek: I barely made it to the finish line

So not only did I lose time needlessly taking fuel I didn't need (6+ seconds per pit) I lost time on the track every lap with a full fuel load. Needless to say, I finished 10/11, and even though I was about 3/10ths off poll and was in the lead pack of 5 cars for quite a few laps.

Kazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:mad::mad::mad::mad:

It doesn't happen often but when it does it really ruins online races completely. The only part of GT6 worth playing.

Latest Posts

Back