What is that painful stinging feeling in your jaw you get (sometimes) when you eat?

• Thread starter turboash78
  • 16 comments
Canada
Regina, SK
Turboash
Ever get that painful stinging feeling where your jaw bone connects with your skull (right below your ear is attached)? I get it if I haven't eaten in a while and am really hungry, or sometimes when I eat something sour.

Anyone else get that?
What causes it, and why?

Ever get that painful stinging feeling where your jaw bone connects with your skull (right below your ear is attached)? I get it if I haven't eaten in a while and am really hungry, or sometimes when I eat something sour.

Anyone else get that?
What causes it, and why?
Yeah I've had that. My guess it's something do do with your salivary glands, but really I have no idea.

It's the chicken bones sticking out the back of your cheek which you were unable to swallow despite your haste to injest anything remotely food-like. I HATE it when that happens.

Actually, I have no idea what you're describing, I've never had any such pain in or near that joint. I've been hungry enough that my hands tremor, and that's close enough to pain for me!

I usually get that pain feeling you're describing when I eat sharp Swiss cheese, for some reason. Certain other foods cause it, too but I can't give you any consistent reasons.

Aargh, this annoys me no end. Sour sherbert sweets seem to set it off for me, but they give me this 'lockjaw' effect - I simply cannot move my jaw for a few seconds. It's a scary sensation for a 7 year old to experience. :scared:

I have this problem sometimes while yawning.
Man it hurts when you can't close your mouth even if you want to.
I had to help my mouth with closing by using my hand.
After that i look out when i yawn so that i don't open my mouth to far.

Speaking of yawning, I hate when you yawn and it causes you to get a cramp that starts from your chin to the start of your neck, It hurts like hell.

whenever i even think of something sour i feel that weird stinging in my jaw. I wouldn't say its painful, but it sure feels weird.

It happens to my all the time when I chew something chewy. The pain is right below my left rear bottom tooth. :indiff: I don't know what causes it... Maybe my teeth need filling or something.

It happens to my all the time when I chew something chewy. The pain is right below my left rear bottom tooth. :indiff: I don't know what causes it... Maybe my teeth need filling or something.

I get this too when i eat too much sugar. It sorta hurts but doesn't, and is very very unpleasant feeling. but i usually get it in all my back teeth.

Anyone else get that?
What causes it, and why?
OMG me too exactly everything you said I understand you!!! That’s why I’m here cause I can literally eat some fruit snacks and the side of my jaw
Near my ear starts to burn or sting and I put my hand over it until it stops. I really felt like I was the only one😩😩😩

mandibular hypertrophy.

Weird, I get this like 1-2 times a year since I was a kid. Never had it enough to worry about it. Googling "Mandibular hypertrophy" sounds about right.

Last edited:
Back