What is the car on the cover?

• Thread starter Gt fein
  • 206 comments
I took it a step further..... ;)

cXWT2KjR4j91PS0HM8yomXrSnZtLaBVm

Combined both the picture of the car in GT1 and the actual car, and I got to say the Camaro is the closest to matching the shiloutte of that car. To be more presice, I think its the Camaro 30th Anniversary edition.... đź‘Ť (plus, it coincides with the year that GT made their appearance :dopey:)

It's been done.

Sorry for digging up
I got 3 new suggestions:

1.Mitsubishi FTO
attachment.php

2.Toyota Supra MA/JZA 70
attachment.php

3.Chevrolet Corvette C4
attachment.php

And now I think it's the Vette.

its definitely the camaro, just looking at it..even if u took the cover off..and drew a stencil of what the camaro is on the side, u'd see that it matches up, and along with that, they used that car cover and they messed it up kind of made it unclear for this type of discussion, but very good stand point that the 30th Anv 97' camaro would be under there. I personally thought (i was 7-8) years old when it came out, i thought it was the (R)camaro, since they had it hidden and all, and they kind of added a little body kit to it, if you understand my drift. But no way its a FTO, no way its a 3000GT, no way its a NSX (since its way shorter then a camaro's stance) and no way its a skyline of any sort, i some how do not see anyones stand points being clear, since if you literally took the front off of the booklet, and drew a stencil of what the camaro lookd like on its side in real life or straight from a freeze frame from GT1 while its side ways, ull see that it matches up perfect, the nose, and the rear quarter panel region especially will show.

its a camaro.... this thread was started in '02 and we are still arguing in2010...lol

Longest lasting gaming conspiracy ever? :lol:

Maybe for GT5's launch PD would finally unveil what's under the cover for these past 13 years ;)

Discussion over. Its a Camaro, Yamauchi wanted a popular car, and the Camaro was and still is a very popular car in North America.

This is What i think it is...
Honda-NSX_2002_photo_53.jpg

Everything seem correct, wheel location, cabin height, car hight, car length, butt size
but its the covers drupes and waves that make it hard (plus its the only car in the game that fits, Vette/Viper/Camaro/gto/fto/rx7/eunos/180sx/s13/s14/r32/r33/impreza/mr2/ supra/cerbera all dont fit) plus the '90s camaro was 🤬

Last edited by a moderator:
At first, I thought it looked like a 2002 Pontiac Trans-Am but it most cetainly does look more like a 1998 Camaro. It would make sense as well. The Chevrolet Camaro Z28 is one of the cars in GT1.

How about a CSI approach? What do we know about the car? The few details that are visible in the photo are:

• The height
  • The length
  • The wheel arches, the distance between them and the distance to the edges
  • The tyre size
  • A pointy object near the windshield (probably side mirror)

must2.jpg

Now, let's compare this to an actual car. The best match so far that I've found is the 1994-1998 Ford Mustang.

The length match, the height match, the wheel arches match and so does the relatively small tyres (a Camaro or an NSX has much larger tyres compared to the body size). The pointy object is also at the exact same spot as the side mirror.

must1e.jpg

Both images together:

must3.jpg

The only thing that makes me doubt is that there seems to be a sharp edge by the rear of the car between the wheel arch and the shoulder, which the Mustang doesn't have. It could of course just be a seem in the blanket that's hanging in an odd way.

Edit: Actually, all angles match perfectly, this must be the car.

Last edited:
Wow, brilliant work. :bowdown: Interestingly GT1 doesn't even have a Mustang, or any Ford car, in it. I wonder if Kaz and/or PD wanted the car in the cover and/or the game but couldn't get the license from Ford, so they covered the car up to get around that and to be mysterious and dramatic at the same time?

EDIT: That may explain Kaz's answer in that recent interview. He KNOWS but doesn't want to publicly confirm anything to avoid any potential issue with Ford.

Last edited:
Wow, brilliant work. :bowdown: Interestingly GT1 doesn't even have a Mustang, or any Ford car, in it. I wonder if Kaz and/or PD wanted the car in the cover and/or the game but couldn't get the license from Ford, so they covered the car up to get around that and to be mysterious and dramatic at the same time?

EDIT: That may explain Kaz's answer in that recent interview. He KNOWS but doesn't want to publicly confirm anything to avoid any potential issue with Ford.

Well, Gran Turismo was the first game in the series, maybe they didn't care so much about the cover car, or maybe the cover was designed by someone at Sony's american office who didn't know so much about what cars were included, and after all it didn't matter so much becausethe car would be covered anyway. And that guy knew someone who had a sportscar (a Ford Mustang probably) and the next day he brought the car over to the studio for a photo shoot and two hours later they were finished, job done.

Well, Gran Turismo was the first game in the series, maybe they didn't care so much about the cover car, or maybe the cover was designed by someone at Sony's american office who didn't know so much about what cars were included, and after all it didn't matter so much becausethe car would be covered anyway. And that guy knew someone who had a sportscar (a Ford Mustang probably) and the next day he brought the car over to the studio for a photo shoot and two hours later they were finished, job done.

Stop everything, i think he's got it. Mustang fits.....ish, the only thing i will point out is the rear quarter of the cover is a body shot were there is a horizontal crease that goes from the rear about 2 inches above rear arch, Mustang is round and has no crease. plus Spoiler seems to over hang a bit more in the covered car.
When i first saw it i was like, Lotus espirit but doesnt fit by far. How about '95 Mitsubishi Ecplise?? Similar body syle to the Soft Mustang

Last edited:

I just realized that the Japanese GT1 cover (two visible cars racing each other on a straight) is completely different than what the Western audience got. Eran, your explanation would make more sense - Sony of America just had someone take a picture of a covered sports car (to get around any licensing conflict). That would also mean Kaz did not really pay attention to the Western cover enough in the first place and would not be able to remember, or even know, what the car was. I wonder why Sony didn't just keep the original Japanese cover but I have to admit I like the Western cover much better, regardless of the actual car under the cover.

the only thing i will point out is the rear quarter of the cover is a body shot were there is a horizontal crease that goes from the rear about 2 inches above rear arch, Mustang is round and has no crease. plus Spoiler seems to over hang a bit more in the covered car.
When i first saw it i was like, Lotus Spirit but doesnt fit by far. How about '95 Mitsubishi Ecplise?? Similar body syle to the Soft Mustang

Yes, that crease bugs me too. I thought it could be a seam in the blanket, but now I see that the seem is running dagonally across it, so it wouldn't make sense to have two seams overlapping each other. But everything else matches perfectly, especially the side mirror (the top is exactly on the spot where the blanket points out, and the angle is the same).The spoiler is a bit diffuse and hard to make out the exact contours, maybe the shape of it changed with different model years? This generation of Mustangs were made from 1994 to 1998 so there could be some variations.
I looked at the Eclipse and I'm afraid it's just as round as the Mustang, so it doesn't explain the crease.

I just realized that the Japanese GT1 cover (two visible cars racing each other on a straight) is completely different than what the Western audience got. Eran, your explanation would make more sense - Sony of America just had someone take a picture of a covered sports car (to get around any licensing conflict). That would also mean Kaz did not really pay attention to the Western cover enough in the first place and would not be able to remember, or even know, what the car was. I wonder why Sony didn't just keep the original Japanese cover but I have to admit I like the Western cover much better, regardless of the actual car under the cover.

Actually, the European version is also different from the American and Japanese version. Maybe the different Sony regions made their own covers? The European cover was a close-up shot of a tyre.

eran0004
Yes, that crease bugs me too. I thought it could be a seam in the blanket, but now I see that the seem is running dagonally across it, so it wouldn't make sense to have two seams overlapping each other. But everything else matches perfectly, especially the side mirror (the top is exactly on the spot where the blanket points out, and the angle is the same).The spoiler is a bit diffuse and hard to make out the exact contours, maybe the shape of it changed with different model years? This generation of Mustangs were made from 1994 to 1998 so there could be some variations.
I looked at the Eclipse and I'm afraid it's just as round as the Mustang, so it doesn't explain the crease.

I went through all the cars and not many have a crease, most if not all 90's cars are round and curvey, 00's was sleek and crazy. 80's and back was more of the variety but hard to pick one car with that crease but its not a car in the game for sure.

I think Nicktune has it. The dimentions are pretty close, the wheel wells look to fit, and as opposed to most of the other cars listed, the nose actually looks like it pulls back in as it gets to the bottom, something the R32s and R33s are designed with. GT-R's don't fit because they have bigger wings that stick out in profile.

Back