What's the most difficult video game or part of it, mission, level, or bosses you ever finished?

The 'Face-Off' races in Burnout 3: Takedown were infuriatingly hard because of the broken, rubberband AI. No matter how many times you wreck your opponent, he'll come right back at you and the game displays the ever-helpful 'He's Right On Your Tail!' message. Get wrecked once, and he begins to take an insurmountable lead that will almost certainly make you rage-quit or rage-restart.

From Burnout 3, some of the F1 time trials or speed runs, I don't remember the name were pretty hard to get gold, I remember getting one while crossing the finish line as a ball of fire in slow motion after at least 50 tries.

That game was insanely fun though, Paradise nor Revenge could ever compete with that, a finish like that made all the restarts worth it.

Mafia II- Chapter 14, the part where you're inside the warehouse, they keep throwing Molotov's at you and there are many enemies, making it hard to take cover and you get killed easily.

I just remembered the first mission in GTA Vice City Stories where you transport those crates using the forklift. That frustrated me to the point that I didn't try it again for months.

I just remembered the first mission in GTA Vice City Stories where you transport those crates using the forklift. That frustrated me to the point that I didn't try it again for months.

Yeah I remember that misson, you had to do it before the warehouse burnt down. I can't remember if I went back to do it because it's been so many years.

The all Mercedes CLK GTR race in NFSHP2 was a nightmare.

Yeah I remember that misson, you had to do it before the warehouse burnt down. I can't remember if I went back to do it because it's been so many years.
And that is the first mission. "The First Mission". The best time I got is 2 seconds before it burned down. Its not that its difficult but the time is so tight you need do it almost perfectly. I hate it when luck is involve in games.

Many people have mentioned some of mine such as the MGS4 BBE run, Driver in my younger years and some stages on Burnout 3 while I had still yet to master driving games.

It would feel wrong to not mention my favourite game of recent times though, Dark Souls. More specifically the following fight vs Ornstein and Smough was my most difficult challenge so far with a number of restrictions set on myself (no hud etc.). This video is my kill after multiple botched attempts, it's not the most difficult in terms of pure skill but maintaining the level of concentration and managing the 2 Londo bros together was very difficult with certain combinations at certain times feeling impossible to avoid.

I'll be revisiting these 2 without a shield as well next time.

X-wing, level 4... When your protecting a corvett from tie bombers coming in from both sides at diffrent times...

Maybe not the hardest, but certainly the most memorably frustrating...

And that is the first mission. "The First Mission". The best time I got is 2 seconds before it burned down. Its not that its difficult but the time is so tight you need do it almost perfectly. I hate it when luck is involve in games.

Oh right, I must of done it then :lol: yeah many GTA missions were get it perfect or fail... there was no room for error.

I still haven't managed to complete the International A final licence test on GT4 with the Nissan R29CP. I tried so many times and I don't know if it can be done with a DS2, all I want to do is pass!

I have to agree with a lot of these games and missions. One more I don't think I seen that I can think of is God of War's Challenge of the Gods. I got the collection when I got my PS3, never playing any GOW titles before. I decided to go all out and get the platinum on it, and that was the last one trophy I needed. Took me hours to do.

I love to see a lot of you had trouble on Drivers tutorial too. I'm proud to say, though, that I've done it dozens of times. I loved that game as a kid and have beaten it many times. I wish I could say I was the master of the slalom, but I bet if I tried it again today, I'd probably rage quit.

...I don't even know if this qualifies but I'm still trying to get past the first level on this.

http://www.letsplaysnes.com/play-kaizo-mario-world-online/

It is possible though, but I haven't had time to try again having seen the video.

And even if you do complete the first level, there are still the other levels to go :P

Edit: Yes, I'm aware that the thread is for moments that you have finished, but I really think this needs a mention.

Last edited:
Oh right, I must of done it then :lol: yeah many GTA missions were get it perfect or fail... there was no room for error.
Yeah. If you remember the mission in GTA SA in which Zero (RC Nerd) ask CJ if he can shoot down the trucks in San Fierro using his RC plane.For me this is the hardest mission in GTA SA. You need a perfect plan to execute this. I had too many restarts on this mission and realized I have to glide so I can have enough fuel to finish the mission.

I still haven't managed to complete the International A final licence test on GT4 with the Nissan R29CP. I tried so many times and I don't know if it can be done with a DS2, all I want to do is pass!
Still? I had too many restarts on this also...The only problem I have on GT4 are Missions. They're a bit unfair for players.

Last edited:
Some of the vehicle fights in MGS PEACE WALKER were a pain, especially if you wanted to S-rank them to get access to the really good equipment. You had to take out 30 enemies by non-lethal means without being spotted. In some cases, it was only possible by exploiting what I am sure was a glitch, and even then, you needed a hell of a lot of patience.

And this is going to sound lame, but getting some of the perfect gems in the original CRASH BANDICOOT was nearly impossible, even as an adult. Some of the stages - especially "Toxic Waste", "Slippery Climb" and "The Lab" - were difficult enough on their own, never mind trying to get every box without losing a life. But my least favourite stage was "Temple of Darkness", where the only way to get the perfect gem was to step out onto a narrow and near-invisible platform in pitch darkness without falling into a pit.

But my least favourite stage was "Temple of Darkness", where the only way to get the perfect gem was to step out onto a narrow and near-invisible platform in pitch darkness without falling into a pit.
You know, sometimes I think the developer/programmers intentionally do this crazy stuff just to lash out their anger and frustrations from their bosses to the players.

You know, sometimes I think the developer/programmers intentionally do this crazy stuff just to lash out their anger and frustrations from their bosses to the players.
Nah, it was a Naughty Dog game. I suspect that they wanted to make the game with an extra layer of challenge for older gamers. It was hard, but it was never truly frustrating - by the time you got to the most difficult stages, you would have been well-versed in hyper-accurate jumps and precision timing.

They did make it easier in the sequels, though.

Yeah. If you remember the mission in GTA SA in which Zero (RC Nerd) ask CJ if he can shoot down the trucks in San Fierro using his RC plane.For me this is the hardest mission in GTA SA. You need a perfect plan to execute this. I had too many restarts on this mission and realized I have to glide so I can have enough fuel to finish the mission.

At least that one was optional, you could still finish the game without doing it. Which bring me to another point, I haven't finished the final GTASA mission! I didn't secure all territory before the riots, as a result it makes securing territory impossible so you can't trigger the final mission (silly game design flaw). I have to see what game saves I have to restart from before the riots.

Still? I had too many restarts on this also...The only problem I have on GT4 are Missions. They're a bit unfair for players.

Yeah still! I tried it many times back in the day then just continued playing without access to the professional events for a while. Eventually the PS3 and GT5P came along and I never went back to it. I would love to pass it just so I could continue will GT4 as it's kinda better than 5 and 6. The Nissan's spins it's tires till 4th gear and has no grip!

I still have so many games to finish on PS2! :lol:

At least that one was optional, you could still finish the game without doing it. Which bring me to another point, I haven't finished the final GTASA mission! I didn't secure all territory before the riots, as a result it makes securing territory impossible so you can't trigger the final mission (silly game design flaw). I have to see what game saves I have to restart from before the riots.
This remind me of post #2 here L:DL

Yeah still! I tried it many times back in the day then just continued playing without access to the professional events for a while. Eventually the PS3 and GT5P came along and I never went back to it. I would love to pass it just so I could continue will GT4 as it's kinda better than 5 and 6. The Nissan's spins it's tires till 4th gear and has no grip!

I still have so many games to finish on PS2! :lol:
I agree, GT4 is better because its "complete". Try it again so you can compare your skills now vs. back then. And don't you miss that PS2 intro sound? :lol: Yeah me too I have so many games to finish. But this awesome technology called "PC" is holding me back. But to be honest, PS2 still has the best games on any gaming platform even now.

I agree, GT4 is better because its "complete". Try it again so you can compare your skills now vs. back then. And don't you miss that PS2 intro sound? :lol: Yeah me too I have so many games to finish. But this awesome technology called "PC" is holding me back. But to be honest, PS2 still has the best games on any gaming platform even now.

Yeah lot's of effort was put into many PS2 games and as a result they still shine today. Now you have the "release a buggy broken thing now and patch it later" attitude or the "give them 5 hours gameplay and charge them triple for lots of DLC, some which is on day one!"

Everything about the PS2 was cool, including the case design and especially the haunting & surreal OS.

I don't like failing the GT4 licences because you get that horrible sex song :lol: like a stoned Barry White. I will try it again at some point, I'm sure someone else could do it first try!

Yeah lot's of effort was put into many PS2 games and as a result they still shine today. Now you have the "release a buggy broken thing now and patch it later" attitude or the "give them 5 hours gameplay and charge them triple for lots of DLC, some which is on day one!"
BOOOM!!!!:gtpflag:

Everything about the PS2 was cool, including the case design and especially the haunting & surreal OS.
And the blue DVDs back then...Oh nostalgia...

I don't like failing the GT4 licences because you get that horrible sex song :lol: like a stoned Barry White.
Do you know how hot my coffee is going through my nose?! L:lol::lol::lol::lol:L

All of that was easier than getting Wakka's sigil. Blitzball never made any sense to me.

But then, every FF game has one bloody difficult task. In VIII, it was a toss-up between Omega Weapon and the final boss. In IX, it was Ozma (and if you went right instead of left coming out of Gizamaluke's Grotto, you were guaranteed to die ). XII wasn't too bad, but it was easy to get lost in the Great Crystal, and getting Zodiark was a pain, because you had to wipe out 10% of his health in one hit, or else he'd become invincible.

Hmmm, I've never had a problem with Blitzball, but that's probably because I made it harder on myself at the beginning by making sure I won that first forced game. So long as you learned Jecht Shot on the boat, you could spam that for easy wins. XP was awarded based on scoring and character possession times, so you could level up reasonably easily early on by hogging the ball and swimming around. There's also the important bit; hiring a better team :P

VIII proved easy for me, in a way (explained below), but it was certainly a different sort of challenge when I replayed a few years ago, after learning you should actually avoid as many fights as possible, only leveling up on the third disc. That created a whole new set of issues. I never played IX, but remember enjoying the gameplay of XII, if not the storyline. I do remember getting lost in the Great Crystal, and I never even found Zodiark.

Being a mini-quest completionist I played the card game and had every card. Convert the Gilgamesh card into 10 Holy wars, an item which makes you invisible. In the final battle when he causes damage and everyone is in Limit Break use a holy war and spam the limit break attacks. Easiest final boss ever. Well Sephiroth in VII was easy if you did the Chocobo races and got the gold chocobo to get the Knights of the Round Materia. never stood a chance.

The card game was a huge time suck for me - I loved that thing! I had an even easier time against the hardest bosses in the game; you just opened your PS1/2, stopping the disc from spinning. The game couldn't load anything other than basic physical attacks. With Selphie in the group, cycle through her limits until you find The End, and select it. Close the tray, and any enemy is dead. Done! :D

Sephiroth was far easier than Ruby or Emerald. You wouldn't even need KOR for that, so long as you had Omnislash, Highwind, or any of the other multi-hit final limit breaks.

I had an even easier time against the hardest bosses in the game; you just opened your PS1/2, stopping the disc from spinning. The game couldn't load anything other than basic physical attacks. With Selphie in the group, cycle through her limits until you find The End, and select it. Close the tray, and any enemy is dead. Done! :D
This. :bowdown: If you can't beat the software, beat the hardware. :dopey:

The Burning Laps in Burnout 3 were really difficult for me as a whole. This one in particular was almost impossible. The worst part about it was that I was trying to get 100% completion and needed this gold. I don't think that I had as big of a margin as this guy, but I do remember raging at this for hours.

The original Star Fox for the SNES. Playing that on hard is such a challenge, I still haven't beat it in 8 years. Not daily playing, mind you, but y'know. I still can't make it to the core of Venom, it's just such a constant barrage of things flying at you, and because the game lags a lot(first 3d game lol), it doesn't really make it easier.

Who cares, it's the first game I ever played and I still love it to death. Besides, who can't love these guys?
2364789-snes_starfox_2_jp.jpg

I do remember getting lost in the Great Crystal, and I never even found Zodiark.
You needed ten Espers, and then you had to speak to an NPC in the village on the far side of Ozmone Plain (he wasn't hard to find, and implied the quest if you spoke to him beforehand). That opened up Henne Mines Site B; you had to go down to the Ore Separation Facility where you fought the dragon, and turn right instead of left (which took you back to the surface). You then had to crawl through a long and difficult dungeon filled with dozens of powerful monsters that, in any other area, would be mini-bosses. A few switch-based puzzles and a labyrinth mine traversal later, and you found a lone save crystal, and Zodiark on the other side. And the fight made everything you just went through seem like replaying the first area of the game. Assuming you survived (Zodiark's attacks had a chance to cause instant death, regardless of stats), the game then deposited you in the middle of the Feywood, and while you would normally coast through the area, your characters would be seriously weakened.

The Burning Laps in Burnout 3 were really difficult for me as a whole. This one in particular was almost impossible. The worst part about it was that I was trying to get 100% completion and needed this gold. I don't think that I had as big of a margin as this guy, but I do remember raging at this for hours.

I feel your pain. This event was difficult. Hell anything involving Tropical Drive was difficult.

i feel like the ship level in cod one was pretty hard. i haven't really finished it yet (i got it on mac just to see what it was like)

Back