• 41 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jahgee

(Banned)
United States
New York
Jahgee1124
I had this problem when I was banned for a week a while back, and now Carl the Sloth messaged me on PSN describing the same problem I had.

I would assume that in MANY instances the ban reason would be obvious enough that the warnings beforehand would have given a hint as to any more steps across the line would result in a vacation.

I would assume that in MANY instances the ban reason would be obvious enough that the warnings beforehand would have given a hint as to any more steps across the line would result in a vacation.
But it also prevents you from seeing how long the banning lasts

Looks like it will expire sometime in Sept. Which is lucky for him, I think the intention was a perma ban.

The ban reason and expiration time is shown in my testing as expected. If no expiration time is listed, the ban is permanent.

The ban reason and expiration time is shown in my testing as expected. If no expiration time is listed, the ban is permanent.
When I was banned, I saw that there was an unread conversation in my PM box (Which I later read was the ban notice), but when I clicked on the inbox, it would redirect to a screen saying that I didn't have permission to view this.

Yes, you'll see your unread PM notifications. The ban reason and expiration are both displayed in the middle of the page:

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 9.33.57 PM.png

There have been changes to the way bans are implemented since that time which may have caused you to not see that message.

Tell him it expires in September.

When I was banned for a week, I could log in and out, view the board and receive messages, I just couldn't respond to anything.

So what do we tell Sloth?
Another member already PMed me with this query two days ago.

My answer was that he has been banned for exactly the same reason he was temp-banned before. He should probably get used to the idea.

Tell him he's banned.

Doesn't the board send an email when someone is banned? I'd always sort of assumed it did; seems to me that it should.

I imagine if folks have their email alerts turned off here in Preferences, that wouldn't happen, even for bans. I know I get as few emails as possible from here, since I'm likely to check the 'Planet more anyways.

At a guess, probably spam. I shudder to think how many posts that stupid conversation got to. It got 180 in the first 6 hours it was open before I woke up and left it.

At a guess, probably spam. I shudder to think how many posts that stupid conversation got to. It got 180 in the first 6 hours it was open before I woke up and left it.

It's at 536 and still going. :) I don't think that's why he was banned, though (at least not in the conversation) because me and a few friends have a conversation that has 700 posts. I don't think you can be banned for posting in a conversation, just for posting AUP-breaking things in said conversation.

I don't know why he was temp-banned, so...

Well... let's just say he managed to accumulate fifty of the finest infraction points across his two names through valueing quantity over quality - and by quality I mean "posts that were acceptable in any way".

No doubt he'll inform you over PSN or some other medium, since he seems to be reaching out far and wide.

An odd fellow he was/is. He gets carried away a bit sometimes, makes sense.

Well... let's just say he managed to accumulate fifty of the finest infraction points across his two names through valueing quantity over quality - and by quality I mean "posts that were acceptable in any way".

No doubt he'll inform you over PSN or some other medium, since he seems to be reaching out far and wide.
Lol so it was the gif spamming?

Exactly why a user is banned is between the staff and the user in question. Occasionally the staff may say something in the BUL, unfortunately that's rarely updated nowadays. They're under no obligation to do so, or to explain why to anybody except @Jordan (and/or possibly @Famine, seeing as how he's an admin).

I occasionally notice a user is banned, sometimes I wonder why (other times it's fairly obvious why). But it's not my place to ask why. If you're in contact with a bannee, you can ask them. Good possibility you won't get an entirely factual answer, but you can try.

Sloth says he has no idea why he was banned

So he doesn't know why he was previously temp-banned?

Another member already PMed me with this query two days ago.

My answer was that he has been banned for exactly the same reason he was temp-banned before. He should probably get used to the idea.

So it sounds like it's a case of this:
Good possibility you won't get an entirely factual answer.

Just PSNd:
He says he knows why he was previously temp-banned, but has know recollection of doing said infraction again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back