Why haven't GT6 hackers created a livery editor yet??

• Thread starter oik01
  • 50 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why haven't I seen that in real life? I keep reading and hearing posts about gt hacks and hacked cars that are racing online with faster speeds, people with more money... I have no idea how that is done but if that is possible, is it possible for people to hack the game and change cars or their liveries? If so, why hasn't anyone hacked it and developed a tool to customize liveries ext?

This is a terribly misleading title that violates the AUP:

• You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate.

The idea is a lot of cars already have liveries, and those were probably modeled in as images... why can't people develop a tool to just hack into that and change the images. Even if you could only do that to the cars that have liveries loaded, that's still a vast improvement! I must admit that I don't know how hacking would work on a ps3, but it already seems to be going on somehow! :S

OK, that's better now.

To answer the question, the hackers can't hack something without having the resources available in the game itself.

The idea is a lot of cars already have liveries, and those were probably modeled in as images... why can't people develop a tool to just hack into that and change the images. Even if you could only do that to the cars that have liveries loaded, that's still a vast improvement! I must admit that I don't know how hacking would work on a ps3, but it already seems to be going on somehow! :S

I think that the liveries are part of the car's body. Not as a separate texture.

Because its complicated. Its not easy to mod a game, find its files to mod. You could do it in GT3. But how PD do there liveries are complicated. >.> If you want a Livery Editor theres Forza Title.

It has "not" in the title, which only makes it misleading for those who prefer mini-modding. Besides, it's almost preferable to the intentionally vague "what about..." type thread titles you see pop up all too often ;)

@oik01 - it hasn't happened because moving around existing bits of data to mish-mash together into "hybrids" (the digital equivalent of dropping a small-block into a Miata, as an example) is different from creating wholly new assets (which a livery creator/editor would essentially do). To do anything resembling livery editing, one would need to decrypt and decompile the game, find the associated skin files, edit them in an appropriate program, and recompile the whole thing. As a livery editor does not exist anywhere in the game, it also means anybody who went to all this trouble would be the only ones who'd see it - nobody that raced them online would.

Because its complicated. Its not easy to mod a game, find its files to mod. You could do it in GT3. But how PD do there liveries are complicated. >.> If you want a Livery Editor theres Forza Title.
Forza is on a console I do not own... so Im trying to work with what I have ;)

Probably lots of reasons. I'm guessing first and foremost that GT6 does not use a simple wraparound skin texture for the liveries, rather a much more involved effort including editing the 3D model of the car more directly. Which would be much harder to do, I'm sure.
Ya I guess that would explain why we have so many different cars that are the same one with a different skin. That would be too unfortunate though as it would mean creating a livery editor might prove too much of a task for PD to attempt especially after release.

It has "not" in the title, which only makes it misleading for those who prefer mini-modding. Besides, it's almost preferable to the intentionally vague "what about..." type thread titles you see pop up all too often ;)
It just confused me because I saw it in the latest posts, and the "not" part was cut off. :P

The hybrid cars rely on the reshuffling of data already found in the game. While you can hack paint some cars with livery (basically you swap out the body colour underneath the livery), to create a new livery would mean you have to add data to the game, (and we know how much trouble that can cause, look at the issues thrown up by each update). The resulting designs would be unreadable to any other copy of the game (so wouldn't be visible online, or could even crash other PS3's trying to read data that doesn't exist).

That said, if somebody did get it to work offline, there's nothing to stop someone adding new cars to the game, as is commonplace with PC games.

In theory if you could decompile an older GT game (back to GT3) you could copy the data of any car and repackage it in the same way PD has with standards. I think GT1 and 2 cars could be imported too with even more work (I'm almost certain that some GT3 models were no more than tarted up GT2 ones, GT One Road ver. Especially).

Of course this would all take a lot of knowledge and skill and really wouldn't be worth the bother.

For what I've seen really the livery editor is there to be used by some monsters online while the rest of the community just creates crap or nothing at all. It is just too difficult to do something worthwile without the proper artistic background, it is difficult on pc, let alone with a gamepad.
Other than the obvious techincal issues, a state-of-art UI would be required too, to make this a simple as possible. I've played a bit with Forza Motorsport 4 editor and it's VERY powerful and nice, but also very time-consuming.

I'd rather just have the official Hatsune Miku BMW honestly.

Last edited:
Hybrid cars modify some numbers in a save file, not completely replace game assets stored potentially on the BD (files which are probably checked/validated on load).

They can only play around with what's already in the game, they're not developing "new" cars, they're just editing some numbers and then the game interprets those modifications as engine, chassis swaps.

I know I delved into hybrids on GT5 for a while when NGU made it popular but nobody ever released anything like a hacked livery editor in that time, and if you look further back you won't find anything about it in previous titles. (All GT games have been "hacked")

If it hasn't been done yet, it never will be.

What @R.S and @PepeMickey said is very true, they can only work with what they already have on disc, e.g. swapping parts from other cars to get better stance/power. There's also multipliers in the code that control how much horsepower the in-game parts give your car, and ones for grip too etc.

Hybrid cars are created by altering simple data allocations of specific parameters. It is only possible because that data is present on the disc. Hacking is only breaking into what already exists, while your Livery Editor idea would require, at the least, new files imported from elsewhere having being created in Photoshop or such.

Unless you have a specific livery file for each car asset you surely couldn't change it as I think GT incorporates liveries into the primary texture.

This sounds like very simple editing. I nominate you to build it :).

/sarcasm.

It should be possible but maybe nobody has the motivation. You've got to find the right files, work out the texture formats, write tools to display them and convert them, work out how to replace the files on the install without breaking anything...
The only large scale console fan hacks I can think of are on systems which can be easily emulated, and the PS3 isn't quite there yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back