Why I think GT6 was liked by reviewers, but hated by (some) fans

• Thread starter Aphelion
  • 244 comments
Sure. Best thing to check is the tuning forum and check which setups are fastest. All of them will use strange suspension values and camber/toe settings that are not reflective of real life at all. Then there's the top speeds for cars, which for most of them are simply wrong (aka too high). And then there's the settings on the cars like gear ratios etc. which are also wrong on many of the cars, and when set right produce awkward results. And the tyre compounds, which just don't add up with the defaults assigned by PD. And FF cars are just all plain wrong, you can't make them behave like real life with any setting whatsoever. Then there's the ABS settings, which is really (ABS + PD's 'special' ESP/TC). And I'm sure I forgot some more.

Not sure why you're not noticing difference with a couple of PC sims. Hard to judge without knowing your setup and the settings you used. One of my personal favorites on PC is Race07 with expansions and there the difference is like day and night. Same applies to AC and pCARS.

Ok, i cant say anything about tuning because i never tune but you might be right.

BUT in my opinion this hasnt to do anything with physics, such as gear ratios and the default tires of the cars come with (probably due accesibility) doenst have anything to do with the physics itself.

These things are wrong parameter which let cars drive different(faster, stiffer, more understerring or whatever) than the real ones but doesnt belong to the physics itself.

I dont know what the problems with ff cars are, in real life i've only owned ff cars and to me their behavior seems right.

Yes, ABS isnt ABS, its just slowing the wheels down without lossing traction.

I play race07 also, with a g27 and without tc and abs and i really cant see much difference appart from massive head wobbling in cockpit view and the bad ffb in corners.
Also you cant really compare these games because race07 is such a tiny game in comparison to GT6.[/QUOTE]

Ok, i cant say anything about tuning because i never tune but you might be right.
BUT in my opinion this hasnt to do anything with physics, such as gear ratios and the default tires of the cars come with (probably due accesibility) doenst have anything to do with the physics itself.

These things are wrong parameter which let cars drive different(faster, stiffer, more understerring or whatever) than the real ones but doesnt belong to the physics itself.

I dont know what the problems with ff cars are, in real life i've only owned ff cars and to me their behavior seems right.

Yes, ABS isnt ABS, its just slowing the wheels down without lossing traction.

I play race07 also, with a g27 and without tc and abs and i really cant see much difference appart from massive head wobbling in cockpit view and the bad ffb in corners.
Also you cant really compare these games because race07 is such a tiny game in comparison to GT6.
Tuning has everything to do with physics. I've never played Race07 so I can't say anything about that game, but other PC games I've played are clearly superior to GT in terms of physics, FFB and just about everything other than car selection. And their physics work. You make adjustments on the car and what is supposed to happen, happens.

This is some sort of joke right?

To which Jimipitbull quoted and replied

Clearly using 'feels complete' figuratively to express his opinion in direct response to the post he quoted.

Someone decided to focus purely on the word 'complete' while ignoring the context in which it was used.
So once again Jimipitbull said

But of course the intent of the comment was again ignored and treated as though he was claiming the game itself was complete.

And now there's a mod quoting the AUP because the definition of the word that was taken out of context is apparently 'false, misleading, or inaccurate'

Despite how someone else has claimed it 'was a little harder to find', all I did was google 'complete'.
I got :
"having (something) as an additional part or feature." and
"(often used for emphasis) to the greatest extent or degree; total."
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sou...enAU603AU603&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=complete

To suggest Jimipitbull was 'making up a whole new definition of the word' is pure hyperbole.
And to claim those definitions are against the AUP is hairsplitting and clutching at straws at best.

I can only assume that is your thoughts on the matter, because that certainly isn't what I said.
The way you have written it is quite misleading.

It seems you are saying Jimipitbull's original post was deliberately misleading.

And to me this confirms that that's precisely what you are doing.
How do you come to the conclusion someone is 'deliberately misleading' when they are simply expressing their opinion?
He wasn't stating a fact.
He didn't claim GT6 was 'complete'.
He said it 'feels complete'.

And all of this overblown rubbish because someone decided to take a word from someones post and use it out of context in an attempt to ... I don't know ... be clever?
Ridiculous.

Edited to fix an unintentionally split quote.

Wow, nice round up :) Hope we all can get along now 👍 and stay cool :cool:

GT6 physics still have a long way to go to reach PC sim level physics, but the improved driving physics from GT5 to GT6 was a much needed step in the right direction. There are a lot of inconsistencies with the current driving physics in GT6, but considering that this is a PS3 title, the current physics are acceptable to me. Hopefully on a more powerful console with the PS4, the physics will be more similar to the PC racing sim games.

Hopefully on a more powerful console with the PS4, the physics will be more similar to the PC racing sim games.

Yup. People often forget that even though GT6 has newer physic code, the PS3 is still a decade old. That would put it on par with a high end PC from 2003/2004. Comparing GT6 physics to PC physics from current games running on current hardware is actually a bit of a compliment to the work the PD guys have done.

Yup. People often forget that even though GT6 has newer physic code, the PS3 is still a decade old. That would put it on par with a high end PC from 2003/2004. Comparing GT6 physics to PC physics from current games running on current hardware is actually a bit of a compliment to the work the PD guys have done.
Except they aren't really comparable IMO. There as so many flaws and deficiencies in the GT physics models it's really silly to even compare the two. Note also that the PS4 is not equal to a good gaming PC at this point, it's what a good gaming PC would have been 3 or so years ago.

In that case you can compare GT6 physics with Live for Speed physics,and guess who will win.
I was even able to run LFS on my netbook with single core 1.7 GHz CPU and 1 GB RAM memory.

Last edited:
Except they aren't really comparable IMO. There as so many flaws and deficiencies in the GT physics models it's really silly to even compare the two. Note also that the PS4 is not equal to a good gaming PC at this point, it's what a good gaming PC would have been 3 or so years ago.

As i've compared the two: no, its not silly to compare and no, race07 isnt any better physics wise ;)

The thing that isnt really isnt comparable between those games is the huge amount of cars of all classes in GT6 opposed to the small amount of only racecars in race07 (and pretty much all the other pc sims) and that big big load of other stuff GT offers. Race07 is a very very basic game to set up races in racecars.

Last edited:
sometimes when im stoned i see rainbows in the changing weather at spa i love this game.. i really hopee they release an event creator or at LEAST put tyre wear toggle option for arcade then we could pretty much create events .. im just so sick of racing on hard tyres or racing on soft tyres agains ai with hard tyres..

In that case you can compare GT6 physics with Live for Speed physics,and guess who will win.
I was even able to run LFS on my netbook with single core 1.7 GHz CPU and 1 GB RAM memory.

Who? Because I would say GT6 but I am going to assume you are going to go with Live for Speed. Of course, I haven't played Live for Speed in at least a decade (I thought it was worse than GT4) and I have no desire to play it on a Netbook.

It's all debatable. Actually, is there any commercially available sim that does real physics? I don't know of any. The only ones that I know of that employ proper physics calculations are owned by McLaren and the likes.

Who? Because I would say GT6 but I am going to assume you are going to go with Live for Speed
Correct
I haven't played Live for Speed in at least a decade (I thought it was worse than GT4)
In that case you did not played GT4 more than a decade :lol:

It's all debatable. Actually, is there any commercially available sim that does real physics? I don't know of any. The only ones that I know of that employ proper physics calculations are owned by McLaren and the likes.
All PC simulators have flaws but that does not mean that they are not better than GT6.

Who? Because I would say GT6 but I am going to assume you are going to go with Live for Speed. Of course, I haven't played Live for Speed in at least a decade (I thought it was worse than GT4) and I have no desire to play it on a Netbook.

It's all debatable. Actually, is there any commercially available PC driving/racing game that does real physics? I don't know of any. The only ones that I know of that employ proper physics calculations are owned by McLaren and the likes.

Fixed that :) There are all PC games with genre in simulation.

Unless you actually played some current PC sims in which case...:lol:

I must be in the wrong forum. I thought this was the Gt6 forum.

Out of curiosity, what does a rig that can run Asetto Corsa at 60 fps with 16 cars on track with AI cost? Does Asetto Corsa even have more than one car on track yet? Do they have AI yet?

Having all the power of a modern PC to run physics and graphics for one car alone, it had better be amazing.

I think that aside from the disproportionate amount of dislike for gt6 that I am constantly reading about on this site, there seems to be a lack of appreciation for what the gt6 system has to handle, on a console that is immensely challenging to develop on.

Like the "live for speed" comparison and saying that was better than GT6. Their cars are terribly ugly, no AI, etc, etc, and they have all the resources of a PC to develop on. Runs on a netbook...like THAT is an advantage.

We may as well compare GT6 to Mclaren's simulator. All the same thing :P

Out of curiosity, what does a rig that can run Asetto Corsa at 60 fps with 16 cars on track with AI cost? Does Asetto Corsa even have more than one car on track yet? Do they have AI yet?

Having all the power of a modern PC to run physics and graphics for one car alone, it had better be amazing.

I think that aside from the disproportionate amount of dislike for gt6 that I am constantly reading about on this site, there seems to be a lack of appreciation for what the gt6 system has to handle, on a console that is immensely challenging to develop on.

Like the "live for speed" comparison and saying that was better than GT6. Their cars are terribly ugly, no AI, etc, etc, and they have all the resources of a PC to develop on. Runs on a netbook...like THAT is an advantage.

It is the GT6 forum. It seems the PC Master Race sends it's new members here to measure their virtual penises against the industry standard.

there seems to be a lack of appreciation for what the gt6 system has to handle, on a console that is immensely challenging to develop on.
If only there had been a newer console that was both significantly more powerful and dramatically easier to program for that released before GT6 did. Then PD wouldn't have to settle for having their game loaded with so many qualifiers.

If only there had been a newer console that was both significantly more powerful and dramatically easier to program for that released before GT6 did. Then PD wouldn't have to settle for having their game loaded with so many qualifiers.

On the other hand, Microsoft developed a game with longer, lasting 'qualifiers'.

The problem is, you can't get it wet, and it doesn't work at night.

Really? I don't know of anyone who doesn't give PD credit for what they did visually with the PS3. The premium cars and tracks are fantastic given what they had to work with. I've acknowledged it many, many times as has just about everyone else. What gets constant criticsm is both the sacrifices they made to achieve that look and the basic design of the gameplay that isn't limited by the PS3 in any way. Both of those criticism are perfectly legitimate in this context. You may be happy with the sacrifices they made and you may also be happy with the basic game design and gameplay. Not everyone is going to agree with you. That's kind of how forums work.

It is the GT6 forum. It seems the PC Master Race sends it's new members here to measure their virtual penises against the industry standard.

On the other hand, Microsoft developed a game with longer, lasting 'qualifiers'.

The problem is, you can't get it wet, and it doesn't work at night.
That's what you call irony. Calls out the "PC master race" for virtual penis measuring, then measures his virtual penis against the Forza virtual penis.
smiley-laughing016.gif

Really? I don't know of anyone who doesn't give PD credit for what they did visually with the PS3. The premium cars and tracks are fantastic given what they had to work with. I've acknowledged it many, many times as has just about everyone else. What gets constant criticsm is both the sacrifices they made to achieve that look and the basic design of the gameplay that isn't limited by the PS3 in any way. Both of those criticism are perfectly legitimate in this context. You may be happy with the sacrifices they made and you may also be happy with the basic game design and gameplay. Not everyone is going to agree with you. That's kind of how forums work.

Gameplay has never been a strong point in the series. It's also not hardware dependent.

However the "sacrifices" that are being called out are completely unfounded. It's purely personal opinion. Physics is a massive processor hog, so everyone has to optimise. The fact that you can connect a hydraulic rig to a PS3 and GT and have it react realistically says far more than any criticsm of their physics.

Gameplay has never been a strong point in the series. It's also not hardware dependent.

However the "sacrifices" that are being called out are completely unfounded. It's purely personal opinion. Physics is a massive processor hog, so everyone has to optimise. The fact that you can connect a hydraulic rig to a PS3 and GT and have it react realistically says far more than any criticsm of their physics.
A lot of people would disagree that gameplay has never been a strong suit. Nearly 1000 people voted and more than 4/10 think GT4 is the best GT ever...reason...gameplay.

The sacrifices called out are completely founded because it's personal opinion. We're talking about personal opinion. The whole point of this thread is personal opinion. The entire OP is one big personal opinion.

Back