Why I think GT6 was liked by reviewers, but hated by (some) fans

• Thread starter Aphelion
  • 244 comments
I must be in the wrong forum. I thought this was the Gt6 forum.

Out of curiosity, what does a rig that can run Asetto Corsa at 60 fps with 16 cars on track with AI cost? Does Asetto Corsa even have more than one car on track yet? Do they have AI yet?

Having all the power of a modern PC to run physics and graphics for one car alone, it had better be amazing.

I think that aside from the disproportionate amount of dislike for gt6 that I am constantly reading about on this site, there seems to be a lack of appreciation for what the gt6 system has to handle, on a console that is immensely challenging to develop on.

Like the "live for speed" comparison and saying that was better than GT6. Their cars are terribly ugly, no AI, etc, etc, and they have all the resources of a PC to develop on. Runs on a netbook...like THAT is an advantage.

We may as well compare GT6 to Mclaren's simulator. All the same thing :P

I just wanted swing my virtual penis around here a little bit, so let me chime in. If your frugal with your spending and shop wisely you can build a rig for around 500 dollars to play ac with high quality settings with that amount of cars and a solid 60fps. That's 100 dollars more then a ps4 and you can still use any and all peripherals you may have already. It's a no Brainer to me, but hey I think the gt series is terrible so maybe I'm just biased. I will leave you guys now to continue to bicker about, I don't even know at this point. I'm gonna go fire up my pc and get ready for the Friday night fun server on ac.

A lot of people would disagree that gameplay has never been a strong suit. Nearly 1000 people voted and more than 4/10 think GT4 is the best GT ever...reason...gameplay.

The sacrifices called out are completely founded because it's personal opinion. We're talking about personal opinion. The whole point of this thread is personal opinion. The entire OP is one big personal opinion.

Note: I just realized that I created a wall of text...Sorry

Even though GT4 could be considered to have the best gameplay, still, as a franchise, GT has never (thematically) been about gameplay. But that's neither here nor there.

From a pure game design stand point, where it succeeds brilliantly is in the holy grail goal of being easy to understand, but hard to master. At the same time, it is not so simple to understand that it's unintersting and not so challenging as to he prohibitive to the masses. From a game design standpoint, that is a monumental task. Games spend years in preproduction trying to attain that balance and some never do.

On top of that, they have consistently set the bar in terms of graphics, detail, and feel. To do all that and still create a physics system that can fairly accurately simulate completely divergent engineering approaches, like torsion bar suspension on one car and pushrods on another, while maintaining some pretty spectacular graphical fidelity, and it runs AI, and all of that is calculated in 1/60th of a second.

Professional reviewers (mostly) understand the collosal achievement that is the GT series... And it's been doing this since PS1...in the industry, GT is a unicorn game. It's completely obliterated the genre to the point that it has had no real competition.

Specifically, GT6 is doing some pretty amazing things. Granted, maybe only industry people can recognize these achievements, but still. They added real time tessellation on top of a new renderer and revised physics. Insider wise, that's amazing!

But here, the debateable nature of camber means this game sucks :P

I don't expect everyone to understand what an achievement that all is, but the way it's dismissed on this forum is sometimes unbelievable, and often insulting.

Last edited:
Note: I just realized that I created a wall of text...Sorry

Even though GT4 could be considered to have the best gameplay, still, as a franchise, GT has never (thematically) been about gameplay. But that's neither here nor there.

From a pure game design stand point, where it succeeds brilliantly is in the holy grail goal of being easy to understand, but hard to master. At the same time, it is not so simple to understand that it's unintersting and not so challenging as to he prohibitive to the masses. From a game design standpoint, that is a monumental task. Games spend years in preproduction trying to attain that balance and some never do.

On top of that, they have consistently set the bar in terms of graphics, detail, and feel. To do all that and still create a physics system that can fairly accurately simulate completely divergent engineering approaches, like torsion bar suspension on one car and pushrods on another, while maintaining some pretty spectacular graphical fidelity, and it runs AI, and all of that is calculated in 1/60th of a second.

Professional reviewers (mostly) understand the collosal achievement that is the GT series... And it's been doing this since PS1...in the industry, GT is a unicorn game. It's completely obliterated the genre to the point that it has had no real competition.

Specifically, GT6 is doing some pretty amazing things. Granted, maybe only industry people can recognize these achievements, but still. They added real time tessellation on top of a new renderer and revised physics. Insider wise, that's amazing!

But here, the debateable nature of camber means this game sucks :P

I don't expect everyone to understand what an achievement that all is, but the way it's dismissed on this forum is sometimes unbelievable, and often insulting.
No one is denying the parts of GT 5/6 that work, and constantly reiterating your narrative that we don't appreciate it isn't going to make your false assertion suddenly true. As I said earlier, it's not the look of the game that we have concerns about, it's the direction the gameplay is taking. We'll see what happens in GT7, where there are no more excuses (presumably)

Last edited:
Back