Why Subaru IMPREZA Rally Car '99 isn't a Premium Car in GT5?

• Thread starter ERIC11940
  • 92 comments
Alright, the image wasn't meant to be a literal question, just wanted to get you all thinking since there's a few interesting things. I'd chalk the different liveries as PD only having a handful of licenses and wanting to make it look like there was more cars on the track (Only Hamlin's 11, Johnson's 48, Jr's 88, Gordon's 24 and Stewart's 14 appear in the video.) The main thing was that Michael Waltrip's NAPA Toyota was there when it doesn't appear in the game, which I thought was rather odd.

Standard cars should look like premium cars, I'm pretty sure PD agrees with me on that. The only problem is that it takes a lot of work ( = a lot of money) to make it happen.

On topic: The GT HD Impreza is not in GT5 because it's not a premium car. It looks a lot better than the standard, but it's not premium quality.

Why would you think that it's not premium quality? It looked like the Subaru was made useing the PS3 engine to me, unless the Subaru was made useing the PS2 engine like how an early version of Gran Turismo 3(Also known as Gran Turismo 2000 during E3 2000) once used a PS1 engine.

gt_hd-playstation_3artwork6906subaru_imprezza_rallycar_02_qjpreviewth.jpg

Here's a pic of the Subaru, it's pretty obviously a low-quality Premium, but that still doesn't explain why it's missing.

GT6 better answer all of our questions, damnit.

I don't care if it's a low-quality Premium. It had some nice details, and is more accurate to the real Subari Impreza Rally Car, compared to the PS2 version of the Subaru used in GT3 and GT4. But I do have to agree with you about GT6. I would like GT6 to be like GT4 and GT5 combined.

My guess would be that the cars in GT-HD were not modelled to a high enough standard to be a premium car.

Correct.

Its level of quality is inbetween standard and premium. Its like a gran turismo 4.5 car. they couldn't put it in the premium dealership as its sub standard, the car really had no place in this game.

Besides, are you really splitting hairs over this 1 rally car? Of all the cars that SHOULD be premium youve got a thread about this. cmon

The explanation for this is the Subaru was one of a few cars which are basically 'half premiums' which were included in GTHD, I think the Celica was another.

They looked kinda like premium from the outside but had interiors which were not totally finished and the Subaru for some reason didn't make it into GT5.

another pic...

gran-turismo-hd-20060928034411047.jpg

Robin.

My guess would be that the cars in GT-HD were not modelled to a high enough standard to be a premium car.

Correct.

Its level of quality is inbetween standard and premium. Its like a gran turismo 4.5 car. they couldn't put it in the premium dealership as its sub standard, the car really had no place in this game.

Besides, are you really splitting hairs over this 1 rally car? Of all the cars that SHOULD be premium youve got a thread about this. cmon

From what I've been told (in a discussion had in the Premium section of this forum) is that the Celica rally car actually became LESS detailed in it's transition to Gran Turismo 5. So I think a lot of cars were just inconsistently modeled and it was easier to scale down a good car than scale up a bad car.

It could also be that the Subaru represents a modeling concept that PD was experimenting with, deciding to stick with whatever concept they had with the Celica.... but lowering the detail to add more cars in.

You want to know what other car also had an almost-Premium model? The Ford GT LM from GT4's intro. Maybe not quite as much as the Impreza or the Celica, but more than a Standard.

Maybe they weren't able to use that model again, or it wasn't render-able on GT5's engine...

Here's a pic of the Subaru, it's pretty obviously a low-quality Premium, but that still doesn't explain why it's missing.

It's still better than the standard version...

That's simple, GT5 from now is incomplete, please let's your neck as long as possible when PD release patch... I sure Kaz want to heal up this preemie as possible as he can.

Seriously, when looks at Kaz from Last Last E3, his face act already told to us GT5 is not completed.
Due to Sony marketing strategy, GT5 are required release into market even this is under Alpha Stage.

As possible, I could think join his crew or become sponsor for PD is better solution for anything about GT series.

Last edited:

I don't care if it's a low-quality Premium. It had some nice details, and is more accurate to the real Subari Impreza Rally Car, compared to the PS2 version of the Subaru used in GT3 and GT4. But I do have to agree with you about GT6. I would like GT6 to be like GT4 and GT5 combined.

It's still better than the standard version...

Yes it is! I'm frustrated it's gone... but knowing the perfectionism that PD puts themselves to, I'm sure there was some major things going on with the car that forced them to not include it.

Correct.

You abviously don't understand the significance of this car then. Ok, maybe it doesn't have a glorified history like the Citroen C4 rally car does (HA! lol, yeah right), but, the fact that this model of the car was driven by Colin McRae (from 1993 to 1998, so technically he didn't drive the 99, but its the same car pretty much) and he won the rally championship in 1995, which was before they made those (IMO) terrible headlight changes to the car. Of course, none of this is releated to the fact that it was in GTHD and not in GT5, but still, thats just me being a rally car fan and Colin McRae (R.I.P.) fan. But yeah, I find it odd that it was already pretty much premium-ized and didn't make it into GT5. :indiff:

tumblr_ltm5tgs7UT1qdm2uwo1_1280 by ANGELSFAN14, on Flickr

Last edited:
That Eiger course and Subaru look great. Surely this must be some where in their office how did they forget or neglect this :grumpy:

Agreed, why not just include the 2009 cars alongside the 2010 ones? And why did MWR not just put Truex Jr.'s #56 in? Why not have the option to paint the cars in alternate schemes (even if they are fantasy) to vary things up in online races?

It's all very frustrating indeed! And I'm sorry to whoever the poor chaps were that had to paint and model all of those cars! Still... I can't help but feel that it might not have been entirely PD's fault (NASCAR Licensing requirement?), with the exception that it was their fault that the game took so long to release... but if they had gone another two years of development, what would've happened then???

*sigh*

Well, if PD hadn't made GT HD and GT5: Prologue, then it wouldn't take more then 5 years to finnish GT5, and the game would have been release in 2008-2009. It's just my thought cuz I think GT5 should had been released earlier then it was.

ERIC11940
Well, if PD hadn't made GT HD and GT5: Prologue, then it wouldn't take more then 5 years to finnish GT5, and the game would have been release in 2008-2009. It's just my thought cuz I think GT5 should had been released earlier then it was.

Agreed. While I enjoy GT5 I find it ridiculous Kaz wanted another 2 years for development. And GT6 better be better at launch. Kaz admitted it was released as an unfinisged game, but why work on two other games while making GT5. I still believe in him though, hopefully his new updates and DLCs will shine bright.

Agreed. While I enjoy GT5 I find it ridiculous Kaz wanted another 2 years for development. And GT6 better be better at launch. Kaz admitted it was released as an unfinisged game, but why work on two other games while making GT5. I still believe in him though, hopefully his new updates and DLCs will shine bright.

I so agreed with you. It would be a disaster if Kaz and his team took two more years to finnish GT5. It only takes about 3-4 years for a PS3/Xbox360 game to be finnished, but Five years plus two years would be 7 years for GT5 to be finnished, meaning that it would be released in 2012, to long if you ask me. :grumpy:

I enjoyed GT5 aswell as much as you did, but I was disappointed that some of my favorite cars such as the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR, the Audi R8LMS Race Car (Team PlayStation) ’09 and more likly the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ’09 didn't make it as Premiums, that it doesn't have enough events, poor damage and that tracks from GT4 such as Seattle Curcuit, New York, Hong Kong and Grand Canyon aren't in GT5.

Also, why is it that 50% of the cars are Japanese? GT5 would have just 200-300 Cars, then it would look like Sony's version of Forza 2, cuz that game had 310 cars, and 47 tracks.

I don't like to complaine about GT5, but I'm hoping that we get more tracks as DLC then more cars, some Standard Cars getting a Premium upgeade and GT6 to have alot of improvements from GT5.

Don't forget the 800 degree hand animation..

Also note how the car suspension seems to dip more realistically.

In GT5 it compress "kinda" slow compare to the real thing.

I'm loving that 800 degree animation :drool:

I KNOW!?!?!?!?? What ever happened to that, is just as important!!!!!

To be honest, I think that in the next update, they should include anything that was in HD, prologue, that's not in GT5.

You know, I was thinking about this when I was looking up videos for GT5 trying to listen to songs from GT5. Suddenly, I thought of the 1999 Impreza Rally Car. So my answer- I don't know. Ask PD. Good question, though.

Don't forget the 800 degree hand animation..

Also note how the car suspension seems to dip more realistically.

In GT5 it compress "kinda" slow compare to the real thing.

Yeah I remember it, looks :cool: The paddle shift animations are not good except few cars. Too bad they are not improving these driver animation with updates

Eric you know whats crazy? Ive been a die hard fan of the impreza 99 rally car/22b since gt1, i am also a heavy fanatic on tf2. The class and the car just suits our characteristics me thinks. Lol i registered just so i could reply to this topic. My steam name is lenoobe if you wanna check out my epic spawn camping skills :P

Regarding the Impreza, it's not a premium in the GTHD video, just a more detailed standard. Making it premium would require starting over from scratch just like with any other car. Still, they could replace the current standard model with this more detailed model...

Regarding the 800 degree hand animation... well, it looks like crap, that's probably why it didn't make it through to the final game. In that short sequence in the video the driver already sustained two open fractures on his forearms :P The problem with driver animations is that they has to start ahead, predicting what the next move from the player will be (like the shifting animations). This puts the avatar in a peculiar situation when he shuffles because he thinks your next move is to turn the wheel further to the right, when instead you suddently turn hard to the left. If it looks weird in driving view, imagine how awkward it would look in the interior replay views when you see the full body of the driver. Those joints are not meant to bend that way.

Also note that GTHD had higher quality textures overall compared to GT5. They had to scale them down to enable more cars on track at the same time.

Regarding the Impreza, it's not a premium in the GTHD video, just a more detailed standard. Making it premium would require starting over from scratch just like with any other car. Still, they could replace the current standard model with this more detailed model...

It's very much a premium, this model shares nothing with the standard car and it was started from scratch. Based on the outside modelling, it's a premium car without a doubt, just possibly missing an interior.

Maybe the file got corrupted and they didn't want to remodel the car? Trust me, it happens. :P

That's why backup copies of said files are suppose to be made. So in case the file gets corrupted a backup file could be used. Any sensible developer would know that regularly making file backups is necessary.

Last edited:
Back