Wii U Latest News and Discussion

I use an ethernet adaptor on my Wii U. If you are considering getting one make sure that it's official, the Wii U blocks out any 3rd party ones with a 100% success rate. They work really well as you would expect, although you will get a slightly slower but more consistent speed.
So, my Wii U suddenly decided not to connect to my rotuer anymore, anyone have any idea how to fix it? At first I thought it may have something to do with the wireless itself because both my PS4 and Xbone are connected via ethernet but I unplugged them and connected with no problems so it seems to be something with the Wii U itself. Has anyone used an ethernet adapter for the Wii U since Nintendo stupidly left out an ethernet port?

Yeah, I've read the wifi chip in the Wii U is faster than the (current) ethernet adapter.

EDIT: So according to Nintendo Enthusiast, after being delayed and having no release date for months, Pier Solar and the Great Architects will be on the Wii U eShop in just three days? Cool news if it's true. :)

Last edited:
I use an ethernet adaptor on my Wii U. If you are considering getting one make sure that it's official, the Wii U blocks out any 3rd party ones with a 100% success rate. They work really well as you would expect, although you will get a slightly slower but more consistent speed.

Thank you, sir. I will definitely keep that in mind but for now it seems yelling at it and asking why it won't work when my PS4 and Xbone will seems to have fixed it. :lol:

Just watched a Gamexplain video on Youtube about the Splatoon single-player campaign(If you don't know about Gamexplain, they are great for previews and discussions about upcoming Nintendo games) and I need to say...I'm surprised at how fun the single player looks. I was curious as to how Nintendo were going to pull of a single player campaign for the type of game it is, but it seems like a platformer/3rd person shooter hybrid that looks pretty interesting. GX highlight in the video that the reveal trailer for the SP campaign that there seems to be a bit of the story hinted at, seems to be like it will be squids vs octopi. :lol:

14595_10204632820973163_1639382618515816613_n.jpg

This game is not good for my heart, so damn cute.

@Classic -- How's the challenge level on the puzzles? I might be receiving that for xmas, but otherwise I thought of picking it up in the future.

@Wolfe - I've only cleared episode 1 and so far the difficulty level is pretty passive for the most part, the 'challenge' comes from the exploration of each level, trying to find all the secret items and doing secondary objectives. Every level is also full to the brim with little nods to other games and just 'toad culture' in general. :lol:

@Tired Tyres :lol: The whole game just feels like a lot of love went into it, just makes you feel happy!

Well I'm sick of really poor gameplay and flashy yet "seen it before graphics" of the PS4 so I've picked up a Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle along with Mario U, Wind Waker HD and I've ordered Pikmin 3.

Game on :)

Scratch the above. Got home to find the Wii U won't display any image either via HDMI or Componant. I'm going to have to take it back to store as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Well I'm sick of really poor gameplay and flashy yet "seen it before graphics" of the PS4 so I've picked up a Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle along with Mario U, Wind Waker HD and I've ordered Pikmin 3.

Game on :)

Scratch the above. Got home to find the Wii U won't display any image either via HDMI or Componant. I'm going to have to take it back to store as soon as I can.
That is very strange! Are you sure you didn't have to do the set-up on the gamepad like @Wolfe suggested?

@Sprite -- You weren't able to fiddle with the system settings via the Wii U GamePad? All the setup is done on that screen.

The game pad didn't give me any option at all, it just told me to turn my TV on. I tried three different HDMI cables two in the AV receiver and one direct to the TV. I also tried a different TV with my Wii component cables too but still a grey screen.

I've read of issues with damaged main boards on shipping so hopefully I'll be able to get it swapped for a different unit.

Edit

Swapped for a new one. The guys at the store tested it there and it did the same for them.

Edit 2

This one works fine. No issues at all.

Last edited:
So far so good. Wind Waker HD looks really good. I haven't tried Mario U or Mario Kart 8 yet. Pikmin 3 should be here today so I'll get to have a bash on that too.

I need a pro pad for gaming though as I find the touchscreen pad too much hassle.

If you're at all inclined toward a Pro controller, I'm sure it's worth it for the battery life alone.

Everyone assumes the GamePad is unwieldy based on photos, and some just don't care for it, but I think it's one of the more comfortable controllers Nintendo has ever made. Its battery life doesn't matter much to me, since I'm very rarely beyond reach of the charger cable.

The Pro controller is a must, in my opinion. The GamePad isn't uncomfortable to hold but I do find it awkward to play games with, the Pro controller makes Nintendo gaming much more enjoyable, in my opinion.

If you're at all inclined toward a Pro controller, I'm sure it's worth it for the battery life alone.

Everyone assumes the GamePad is unwieldy based on photos, and some just don't care for it, but I think it's one of the more comfortable controllers Nintendo has ever made. Its battery life doesn't matter much to me, since I'm very rarely beyond reach of the charger cable.

Don't get me wrong I found some of the unique features of the Gamepad fun to use but my wrists are bent at a funny angle and for long periods of gaming they get sore.

The battery life isn't an issue either because I can always pug it in while using it until charged again.

I've used worse game pads in the pasts and I like some features as only Nintendo can make but these are not enough to quell the need for a nice pro pad.

The Pro controller is a must, in my opinion. The GamePad isn't uncomfortable to hold but I do find it awkward to play games with, the Pro controller makes Nintendo gaming much more enjoyable, in my opinion.

I've read similar things. I look forward to getting mine soon.

The GamePad seemed awkward to me at first, but by now, unless I'm actively using the screen, I could forget that I'm not holding a standard controller.

The screen is also nice to have for when my little CRT TV makes HD-scaled elements difficult to pick out. I've developed the habit of looking down when important text appears or a large Smash Bros. stage comes up, for example.

I'll upgrade someday, but Nintendo sure makes it easy enough not to! :lol:

Trying to track down a physical copy of Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze is some hassle...I really dont want to pay more than full price either!

Just pre-ordered "Captain Toad - Treasure Tracker" £28 not too shabby for a new game.

Such a great looking puzzle game too. Last on my shopping list are Mario World 3D U and the Propad. Then I'm all set for a good while of gaming.

Treasure Tracker is fantastic...I absolutely loved it. Got my copy pretty early. :D What's your NNID? :)
Just pre-ordered "Captain Toad - Treasure Tracker" £28 not too shabby for a new game.

Such a great looking puzzle game too. Last on my shopping list are Mario World 3D U and the Propad. Then I'm all set for a good while of gaming.

As an Xmas gift, Treasure Tracker has certainly been a pleasant surprise. I've passed the part depicted in @Classic's screenshot above; it may be a silly little game, but it makes you smile. :) It also makes me want to play Super Mario 3D World again, especially whenever it borrows a song/melody from that game. If EAD Tokyo 2 is working on Super Mario Galaxy 3 or something similarly epic, it'll be my most-wanted Mario game since Super Mario 64.

One of the best Nintendo games I played was the Mini Mario game. Simple puzzles but some took a little thinking out. I think games like that are good to sit and chill out with rather than bring yourself to the brink of rage quitting etc. From the videos I've seen online I can't wait to get stuck in.

Does anyone have any news on the Wii U Smash Bros. updates. I want to share my 36 custom stages ASAP :P?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-f-zero-would-require-redesigned-control-interf/1100-6424508/

So, Miyamoto has confirmed that the possibility of F-Zero on Wii U is basically non-existent because it would require 'a new controller interface'. This, coming from the man who is working on a console that(as of now) has compatibility with:
-The Wii U Gamepad
-Pro Controller
-Wiimote
-Wiimote + Nunchuck
-Classic Controller
-Gamecube Controller
-3rd Party peripherals (HORI fight Pads)

All I can say about this is 'Why am I not surprised?' Miyamoto and Nintendo frustrate me at times, sometimes they are so blind with their chase of 'innovation' that they will just ignore what the fans want because it's not new-looking enough. I'm pretty sure if F-zero fans got a new game that used the gamepad they wouldn't be crying about it not being innovative enough.

If there isn't a market for the game, they should just say it. Be honest with us, I know I'm not sure either if a new F-ZERO game would sell amazing but if that's the worry...voice it to the fans. Don't hide behind some silly excuse.

Last edited:
I also thought it was a non-excuse. But people like us kind of fall outside of the Nintendo audience -- or the mainstream audience in general -- when it comes to racing games. We simply like racing, but Nintendo is reluctant to make just another racing title unless they can base it around some new gameplay idea.

I think they should make a "retro" F-ZERO game, like they sorta did before on the GBA. Bring maximum speeds back to ~500km/h as in the original, with crafts inspired by '50s-'70s racecars that handle more like in the SNES game, instead of the snappy, vaguely-F1-like handling of X and GX. The tracks could be twisty as expected, but on ground level with more scenery to look at, like Mario Kart 8. The new gameplay idea could be an instrument panel on the Wii U GamePad screen that allows you to control and maintain the G-Diffuser system. Perhaps you could increase boost output at the expense of energy (or vice versa to conserve energy), momentarily increase anti-gravity power (at the expense of acceleration) to get an extra high jump off of a ramp, and be required to run a repair/reboot sequence if you're knocked around or bounce off of a wall when you have little energy left.

There's a precedent for this:
starfox.wikia.com
The G-Diffuser system was created by John Tanaka, from the Galactic Federation and F-Zero game. However, due to the temperamental nature of the G-Diffuser, these systems need to be carefully checked and maintained; while easy to fix in flight, they can consume a pilots' full attention, something that kills pilots in a dogfight.

I've had no interest in F-Zero so doesn't really bother.

However, that is a poor excuse but when hasn't somebody tried to 🤬 their way out of stuff.

I also thought it was a non-excuse. But people like us kind of fall outside of the Nintendo audience -- or the mainstream audience in general -- when it comes to racing games. We simply like racing, but Nintendo is reluctant to make just another racing title unless they can base it around some new gameplay idea.

I think they should make a "retro" F-ZERO game, like they sorta did before on the GBA. Bring maximum speeds back to ~500km/h as in the original, with crafts inspired by '50s-'70s racecars that handle more like in the SNES game, instead of the snappy, vaguely-F1-like handling of X and GX. The tracks could be twisty as expected, but on ground level with more scenery to look at, like Mario Kart 8. The new gameplay idea could be an instrument panel on the Wii U GamePad screen that allows you to control and maintain the G-Diffuser system. Perhaps you could increase boost output at the expense of energy (or vice versa to conserve energy), momentarily increase anti-gravity power (at the expense of acceleration) to get an extra high jump off of a ramp, and be required to run a repair/reboot sequence if you're knocked around or bounce off of a wall when you have little energy left.

There's a precedent for this:
The visuals possible with futuristic racers is insane. Let's be honest, Anti-Grav was added to MK8 because it brings a bit more visual oomph. In my opinion, the best(consistent) graphical game on the PS3 was WipEout HD Fury which was outright gorgeous at 1080p, 60FPS:
Wipeout_HD_115_Fury_by_CGIII.jpg

It's just a shame with Studio Liverpool cut loose and now this news...it looks like we won't see a futuristic racer with a half decent budget for a long time. At least we have some indie group making a game, can't remember it's name at the moment but it looks fairly decent.

The visuals possible with futuristic racers is insane. Let's be honest, Anti-Grav was added to MK8 because it brings a bit more visual oomph. In my opinion, the best(consistent) graphical game on the PS3 was WipEout HD Fury which was outright gorgeous at 1080p, 60FPS:
Wipeout_HD_115_Fury_by_CGIII.jpg

It's just a shame with Studio Liverpool cut loose and now this news...it looks like we won't see a futuristic racer with a half decent budget for a long time. At least we have some indie group making a game, can't remember it's name at the moment but it looks fairly decent.
Wasn't that indie game called Quantum Rush? I had a go at the beta but like all PC games, my PC just goes slow :lol:

Back