Will the Logitech wheel work on PS4?

• Thread starter SKOT_FREE
  • 98 comments
Developers can just include the drivers with the game.

How can a developer include PS4 drivers, if Logitech choose not to write any?

The drivers are written, your wheel wouldn't work on the ps3 without them. Nothing new needs to be written for the PS4 because as far as how the wheels interact with the PS4 nothing has changed from PS3.

So you think that PS3 drivers are gonna work on the PS4? Wow...

VBR
How can a developer include PS4 drivers, if Logitech choose not to write any?

So you think that PS3 drivers are gonna work on the PS4? Wow...
Why does it have to be logitech that makes the drivers? There are multiple wheels that use the same drivers.
I'm pretty sure fanatec wheels just emulated a logitech wheel and used the same drivers to work on a ps3.

Anyone could make drivers for the wheels to work.
If a game developer wants you to use your logitech wheel and the only thing standing in the way is a driver I imagine they could pull off making a driver to get it to work.

I know nothing of programming but I imagine a driver for a steering wheel is child's play compared to what goes into making a AAA video game.

The real question here is, will "PD" support the existing wheels? It has nothing to do with Logitech or any other brands.

Isn't there already a driving game on PS4 (Need for Speed Rivals)? Hasn't anyone tried it with a wheel? It's pretty amazing to me that 6 months on from launch we still don't have an answer to this question.

EDIT: Apparently NFS Rivals doesn't support wheels at all. Huh! Pretty weak, guess I'm glad I didn't buy it!

No, there are -no- driver supported wheels on the PS4 as of now... that's why everything posted here is just speculation. Guys, please -- look at the previous track record Sony has when it comes to compatibility. It has been the best console in this regard. Some people just like to worry and lash out at developers just for the pleasure of it it seems.

No, there are -no- driver supported wheels on the PS4 as of now... that's why everything posted here is just speculation. Guys, please -- look at the previous track record Sony has when it comes to compatibility. It has been the best console in this regard. Some people just like to worry and lash out at developers just for the pleasure of it it seems.

I think everyone is just worried about the Xbox effect and if Sony will follow suit, which is totally understandable. I'll have to sell my wheel and pedals and get a Thrustmaster T500RS set. It's a good set, but just a hassle.

Jerome

True that, and by comparison, Microsoft has absolutely no regard for its customers. They're the worst for accessory compatibility. Proprietary drivers, connectors, restrictions for the manufacturers, et al.

The Driving Force Pro I bought for Gran Turismo 4 in 2005 works on my PS3. My copies of Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo 2 work on my PS3. The first PS3 consoles ran PS2 games. You could use PS1 controllers on a PS2. Moreover, it has been said repeatedly that developers are in charge of deploying wheel drivers.

We have nothing to worry about. Well, I don't have a PS4 nor do I plan on getting one in the short term, but my wheels not working with it is the least of my concerns.

i wrote an email to Danish logitech support and they said that it is all up to sony if they wants to support logitech wheels (in this case it was the G27)

I think Thrustmaster and Sony made an exclusive deal for Thrustmaster Steering wheels on the PS4.

My guess is that Thrustmaster paid a lot of money for this and that's why will we not see support for any other brand steering wheels for at least a couple of years.

I think Thrustmaster made the same kind deal with Mircosoft for the Xbone.

I think Thrustmaster and Sony made an exclusive deal for Thrustmaster Steering wheels on the PS4.

My guess is that Thrustmaster paid a lot of money for this and that's why will we not see support for any other brand steering wheels for at least a couple of years.

I think Thrustmaster made the same kind deal with Mircosoft for the Xbone.
If that's the case Im done with both companies. I wont support any company that tries to limit my choices with exclusive deals. There is plenty of room in the market for all wheel makers to make money. If we support a company that wants exclusive rights than we wont be seeing new designs and upgrades. Do you really think Thrustmaster would of made changeable wheel rims if not for Fanatec. Its the same with a lot of the recent upgrades wheels have been receiving lately. Exclusive deals mean no new innovations in the wheel market.

Exclusive deals mean no new innovations in the wheel market.
Generally maybe yes, but in this case no. PS and Xbox are consoles and they don't help in innovation, but limiting it, Xbox more than PS. Look at CSW and CSR-Elite. There would have been only one wheel, but they had to make CSR-Elite, because CSW has things Microsoft didn't allow on Xbox as far as I understand. I don't think any of the wheels have features that are there only thanks to consoles.

Generally maybe yes, but in this case no. PS and Xbox are consoles and they don't help in innovation, but limiting it, Xbox more than PS. Look at CSW and CSR-Elite. There would have been only one wheel, but they had to make CSR-Elite, because CSW has things Microsoft didn't allow on Xbox as far as I understand. I don't think any of the wheels have features that are there only thanks to consoles.
Which is why I have never owned an xbox. I have never cared for the way they handle certain things including wheel support.

f-logisony53e9f57b00173d28.png

So drivers alone is no good, Sony need to move access on PS4 or Logitech make a new wheel

Reading through amars post I don't agree with Thrustmaster paid a ton of money on wheels, with Logiech losing money on them, Fanatec saying its not been worth doing. I don't see much money being made on these wheels in this limited market. Just doesn't seem right that Trustmaster step up with a ton of money. to me its a simple partnership, Logitech bailed out and Sony have increased security. I don't think Fanatec have done well with reliability. It's Thrustmaster by default. Also T500 was a good effort on Sony's PS3, why not continue that.

Last edited:
Yan
Want your Logitech Wheel to work with the ps4? Sign the petition

So you would be suggesting for others to sign a government petition to then present to the White House to tell an electronic peripherals company to develop software for use of it's products for a video game console?

Like Amars said there is no security chip that is needed for wheels to work on the PS4. The T500 works with the ps4 (along with a few other older TM wheels) and it doesn't have that security chip. It is all a bunch of crap. If Fanatec and Logitech would pay they would work. They obviously believe it isn't worth the investment so wont pay. I cant say I really blame them either. Sony talked a good game at launch, but in the end are really no better than MS.

Well the Logitech situation is pretty dire anyway.

My wish from years back was to not mess about with this small market and have wheels that just work like on PC. I don't want a wheel for each game.

I had the solution with my PWTS but it wasn't official. Luckily I play PC mostly. I feel sorry for those who bought Fanatec gear just for Forza. I told them on fm.net you should check out PC as your wheels will be worthless in future. Fanatec even had a brief official tie in with Forza 4. For the average consumers it looks a safe bet but shortly after its all not working on the next system.

On PS3 we had Thrustmaster already official and they work on PS4 to some extent. Logitech only really had the DFGT. My G25 working on PS2/PS3 was just a bonus and an example of how it should be.

I can only say that at least Thrustmaster are making a good go of it and probably should be supported.

I do think this small market has been damaged though. Even I might just stick with PC till my G25 and PWTS seize up. Probably get the new consoles much later unless I land myself a lot of spare cash.

I could even see Logitech picking up pieces years from now.

I like both Forza and GT, I don't want to play one with a pad and the other with a wheel. They're asking me to get two wheels, two rigs, two screens and an extension to my home when one wheel will do thanks.

Last edited:
To be honest, for Driveclub I doubt there'll be much of an issue. I bet 90% of potential driveclub owners are controller users by default, the other 10% will have to choose whether wheel support is important or not.

pCARS is harder: I think a larger percentage of pCARS owners will want wheel support (unless they treat it as the "wow" graphics demo of this console generation). I suspect Xbox One sales for pCARS will piggy-back on the installed base of Forza 5, especially those TX owners. PS4 sales might be lower than expected unless the T500RS+PS4 owner installed base is large enough (or the game triggers T300RS sales as a system seller in the same manner as Forza 5). But I suspect most T500RS owners have a gaming PC and are more tempted with pCARS on the PC.

The interesting moment for PS4 wheel support will be GT7, because that's the key sim which isn't multiplatform. Simply put: I suspect that it will look amazing and sell a lot of Thrustmaster wheels.

P.S. I'm already invested. I retired my Fanatec GT2 and my XBox 360 and bought a T500RS back in December once the writing was on the wall. I haven't bought a PS4 yet and won't until I hit the system seller moment, which I suspect for me will be GT7. My gaming PC copes fine with pCARS/AC already.

At the end of the day, the customers will decide. If you choose to buy just one brand then Sony will have no reason to change this monopoly situation. With every purchase of such a wheel you support the restrictive policies and eliminate competition.

Just compare what you get for your money if a wheel has competition like the wheel which is discussed here or if it is an exclusive offer. Decide by yourself if a monopoly makes products more expensive and limit innovation.

It is not a question of money but a matter of principle for Sony and only Sony can change this situation if you let them know.

We have good products and we are not afraid of competition.

At the end of the day, the customers will decide. If you choose to buy just one brand then Sony will have no reason to change this monopoly situation. With every purchase of such a wheel you support the restrictive policies and eliminate competition.

Just compare what you get for your money if a wheel has competition like the wheel which is discussed here or if it is an exclusive offer. Decide by yourself if a monopoly makes products more expensive and limit innovation.

It is not a question of money but a matter of principle for Sony and only Sony can change this situation if you let them know.

We have good products and we are not afraid of competition.

Could the fact that Fanatec not having drivers for PS3 and used Logitech help push this one wheel thing. I doubt Logitech were happy. Was you able to supply drivers for PS3 support but didn't want to pay for a license?
I used my Fanatec for GT5 but it was a little underhand. If its not about money then why go that route and potentially upset companies.

PS3 had support for Logitech and Thrustmaster at the same time. Thrustmaster didn't piggyback Logitech drivers.

Wouldn't surprise me its one reason they locked down PS4.

It is a false rumor that you just need to pay some money and then you get a license.

For whatever reason, Sony limits the amount of compatible devices. It is NOT in the hands of a wheel maker and there is little to no interest to make old wheels compatible unless people will ask for that and ask the right company.

The Crew is due late September and will also support wheels on the PS4/Xbox One.

Thrustmaster rubbed it in with a new post on their Facebook site: Crew XBox One TX support, Crew PS4 support for T80, T300RS and T500RS.

Credit where credit is due: Thrustmaster are making the most of their "monopoly" position (although MadCatz has now released their wheel for XBox One so that will change)

It is a false rumor that you just need to pay some money and then you get a license.

For whatever reason, Sony limits the amount of compatible devices. It is NOT in the hands of a wheel maker and there is little to no interest to make old wheels compatible unless people will ask for that and ask the right company.

I don't know that Sony has EVER had an "exclusive" license for any accessories. If a company was willing to pony up and submit for compatibility ect, they'd be onboarded into the licensee program. HOWEVER, they did jump in bed with TM at GT5 launch, and the T300 sure has a big Playtstation logo in the middle...

Latest Posts

Back